Marvel Legends The Eternals Movie Wave Officially Revealed

JayC

On 8/20/2021 at 10:57 PM, McHogan said:

I was as big a fan of Marvel comics as anyone in the 80s, literally collecting every book they published ( hey back then they were 65/75 cents a piece) and this included Cloak & Dagger, Power Pack, Dakota North ( hows that for a deep dive?).. and yes even started the Eternals 12 issue maxi series. But no other title bored me more than this series. Boring characters, boring story, boring design.. I never finished and haven’t been a fan since.

yes, I hope the cinematic versions change my perception but as I’ve been saying.. they’re more well known characters I’d rather be debuting in November. Literally the only hope I’m hanging on for is Dane Whitman ( Black Knight).. kinda ironic my favorite Avenger debuting in a property I’ve never been a fan of. 

Lol, yeah I was familiar with Power Pack. Hey maybe that will come to Disney Plus.

On 8/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, NotNamed said:

He doesn't collect MCU figures as a rule, so he's morally free to imply heinous intent on the part of others.

Ah, yes, I see what he did there.  The old "I don't buy these, which renders everything I have to say about them moot but I'll imply that you're a racist if you don't buy them" trick.  I hadn't seen it in so long, it caught me by surprise.  

Maybe off topic: is  every show not on D + no longer canon ?

the recent ones I’m thinking are:

Cloak and Dagger

Runaways

Hellstrom

i know the Netflix was nixed.. wasn’t sure if these other properties are also non MCU.

recent subtractions from MCU 

ALL Netflix shows ( Daredevil, Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones)

Agents of Shield

Agent Carter

Inhumans

seems some shows (Agent Carter, Shield, and the Netflix shows) kinda mentioned events from the MCU through dialogue or background posters like in DD.. I wonder if these would be considered “Multiverse”   Since it appears Disney may  be trying to connect past projects to their wildly successful MCU..

On 8/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, McHogan said:

seems some shows (Agent Carter, Shield, and the Netflix shows) kinda mentioned events from the MCU through dialogue or background posters like in DD.. I wonder if these would be considered “Multiverse”   Since it appears Disney may  be trying to connect past projects to their wildly successful MCU..

"Multiverse" is basically different dimensions, not different storylines within the main (616) storyline.  All MCU properties are assumed to be taking place in the same dimension.  Those you mentioned simply didn't directly impact the main MCU plots (for the most part) and didn't demand cross-over.  In the few instances where they did do it, it was done with precision and intent.  The reason so many of these failed or were just 'ok' was mostly poor writing.  Shield had almost no 'mutants' at first and was still really well-received.  Then it became the go-to show to explain the Kree and Hydra, as well as other components of the MCU.  None of this was necessary but it helped fill the gaps between all of the individual IPs before they all essentially joined together.

They really tried to push the Inhumans agenda with the show but somehow the *actual* Inhumans show was horrible, All of the concepts and comic lore from the Inhumans (basically the origin of mutants) worked perfectly in Shield.  We're in a transitional phase now where they just seem to be throwing a bunch of stuff out there and seeing what sticks, while the next phase promises to revisit the remaining Avengers and their successors to bring the new team together.  Whether that features Eternals, Shang-Chi, New Mutants or even the X-Men remains to be seen.  Anything is possible, though; Kang exists in nearly every multi-verse and has touched the stories of every major Marvel IP.  

On 8/20/2021 at 3:51 PM, Ironspider428 said:

I disagree, I've definitely seen hate for this wave. Every time I see a post about an update or pictures of this wave, the comments section is filled to the brim with people complaining about boring costumes or non-comic accuracy, or how nobody wants to see the movie or buy the wave. Personally, I love this wave, it's really nice to just be able to knock out a whole movie roster in one swoop and the figures themselves look gorgeous, aside from a couple of the faces. I actually far prefer these to those god-awful gaudy comic costumes, that may be due to me having no association with the comic version of these guys, as I suppose the same could be said about early Spider-Man or Avengers costumes as well. Regardless, I think these costumes perfectly fit the movie, they're elegant and refined, the metallic look makes them look armored while also being a bit otherworldly, and they look like the kinds of robes/outfits a race of immortal god-like beings would wear. 

I hesitate to say that this wave will perform as badly as Captain Marvel. It's certainly possible, but I think on the whole, this movie won't be as polarizing as Captain Marvel was in the fanbase, so it has a higher chance of selling better once the movie comes out, just like the Black Widow wave did and like what the Shang-Chi wave seems to be approaching upon release. 

But you do understand that these are in fact comic book characters in a comic book created existence. So it shouldn’t be an issue if comic book readers who have known the characters for decades have expectations of some likeness to the comics.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:20 PM, NotNamed said:

Oh yay, another wave of "throw fecal matter at the wall and see if it sticks" figures. Just like Shang-Chi, another franchise no one has heard of, and another wave of boring figures destined for clearance. It's fine with me, I get to save my money, but again, what are Marvel/Hasbro thinking? Do they have their heads so far up their rears they think everything they push out turns to gold?

Well I get your point but to be honest if you have never heard of eternals or Shang chi then you haven’t been around comic stories very long. I mean the eternals gave rise to thanos. Well I said very long and of course that is a relative term depending on ones age. So I get it. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:51 AM, McHogan said:

Maybe off topic: is  every show not on D + no longer canon ?

the recent ones I’m thinking are:

Cloak and Dagger

Runaways

Hellstrom

i know the Netflix was nixed.. wasn’t sure if these other properties are also non MCU.

recent subtractions from MCU 

ALL Netflix shows ( Daredevil, Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones)

Agents of Shield

Agent Carter

Inhumans

They probably are now considered part of the MCU Multiverse and now the actual MCU-universe

On 8/20/2021 at 7:22 PM, RyanDaly said:

One of my favorite bits of serendipity is the last line Richard Madden says to Kit Harrington’s character in Game of Thrones is, “Next time I see you, you’ll be all in black.” And now they’re sharing this movie together and Kit will eventually play the Black Knight.

Cool coincidence 

On 8/21/2021 at 2:13 AM, LordVenger said:

Well I get your point but to be honest if you have never heard of eternals or Shang chi then you haven’t been around comic stories very long. I mean the eternals gave rise to thanos. Well I said very long and of course that is a relative term depending on ones age. So I get it. 

Started reading Marvel around 89, heavy from 91 - 95, some ever since, but I haven't read much Marvel since the mid 00s when Quesada's tent pole events started dominating 8 of 12 annual issues of every title. I can't stand event domination or constant reboots. They think reboots encourage new readers; it's the opposite for me. I think "why bother starting this title if they're going to reboot it in less than 2 years." I miss the sense of a modern mythology that caused me to delve into back issues from decades earlier. Nothing matters anymore. By tomorrow, it will be wiped from continuity.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:52 AM, NotNamed said:

Started reading Marvel around 89, heavy from 91 - 95, some ever since, but I haven't read much Marvel since the mid 00s when Quesada's tent pole events started dominating 8 of 12 annual issues of every title. I can't stand event domination or constant reboots. They think reboots encourage new readers; it's the opposite for me. I think "why bother starting this title if they're going to reboot it in less than 2 years." I miss the sense of a modern mythology that caused me to delve into back issues from decades earlier. Nothing matters anymore. By tomorrow, it will be wiped from continuity.

I agree totally. Not a fan of reboots at all.  I’m like you I’m in it for the mythology. I’m a fan of ancient mythology as well. I tend to stick to rereading the old stuff myself.  Although I’m not going to claim all of it was good. I try not to wear the nostalgia glasses all the time. Ha. I’m currently rereading the warlord series from dc that started in the late 70s and went through the 80s. I’m on book 89 of 133. 

On 8/20/2021 at 2:24 PM, Legender said:

I dont see hate, just zero interest, thats fair. Unless the movie is the best movie EVER, I dont see these guys selling really well, like some people say they may face same destiny as Captain Marvel wave. In the other hand, I dont see any Eternal receiving a comic treatment soon as Hasbro may push u to buy these for fill that niche.

Well said man, I agree. 

I started collecting comics, the random issues that I liked  the art, from DC and Marvel, back in '87.  Stopped collecting around 2003.... honestly I never collected the Eternals.

Out of the forthcoming toys, I like Thena's design best. Don't really like the others.

So far from the movie trailers, the Eternals group seems to lack a certain "down to earth / quirky / hybrid family" appeal, which the Avengers had at their core. It's the sort of appeal that makes you sit back, relax and laugh, when people are talking about Tony's dating life, or who can lift Thor's hammer.

Of course, the Eternals don't have to be the same as The Avengers, since it's a different comic series. But having a sort of relatable / near-palpable appeal is what draws you in, as a new fan. And I haven't gotten that vibe from them yet.

Kudos to Hasbro on getting all the main characters out in one wave (plus exclusives) - feels like GotG was the last movie to do that, and even then it took awhile before we got Yondu or Ronan.   

As for the designs, well some of them do look better close up... but  Hasbro had better hope that moviegoers fall in love with these characters the way they did with GotG. it would also help if they can time the wave's release to put it close to the movie release date, if they come out too early its Shang-Chi all over again, only worse since there's no comic BAF to help boost sales.

imo Ikaris and Thena are probably the best looking figures in the bunch.  I also might grab Sersi just cuz i have a thing for Gemma Chan.  

Been re-reading the Thor issues where Roy Thomas brought the Eternals into 616 continuity - good stuff although it kind of gets away from what Kirby seemed to be trying to do with them.  I think these might be my favorite appearances of the Eternals as i didn't really like either the 80s "maxi-series" or the Gaiman run.  I guess their appearance in Stern's Avengers run (around 250 or so?) was OK too.  

On 8/20/2021 at 10:10 PM, Virtualzach said:

lol what "other bias" would that be?  What a strange and presumptuous comment.  There are "pretty" action figures everywhere.  Does that mean I have to buy them all otherwise, I harbor some suggested bias against the heroes they're based on?  

People aren't hyped for them because it's a relatively unknown IP.  Just like the Shang-Chi wave.  I'm glad you like them, though--I assume your pre-order at full price is already in?  Or is there some other bias preventing you from ordering?

Right the eff on point. That's always the go-to when you don't like something or if you are critical of something. "I like it, but you don't, so obviously you must have some sort of bias against _________ type of people, so you're a terrible person." It's both ridiculous and tiresome, but also effective. It works any time a movie does bad, any time a television show or cartoon bombs, any time comic books get a bad rap. Yes, when something sucks, it's never because it actually sucks, it's cuz your own personal bias prevents you from seeing any redeeming qualities in said product.

Personally, I think I'll be passing on this wave because I have no such bias against trying to save a little money by not purchasing something I don't like. See, I'm a good person again.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:38 PM, NotNamed said:

My point was, as a lifelong Marvel fan with thousands of back issues in my collection, I had never heard of Shang Chi or Eternals. They're D-level properties. I had heard of, but never been interested in, Master of Kung Fu, but not "Shang Chi." As an alternative just to those two, how about Iron Fist & Luke Cage, Heroes for Hire, and the Inhumans? Those are at least B/C level properties. And yes, I know they had lackluster tv series, but MCU is now disregarding all of those pre-Disney Plus tv series, so no reason they couldn't be done on a bigger budget. And yes, I'd heard of Ant Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy before their movies. Ant Man is B level and the Guardians characters are at least C. As for MCU figures, I don't collect them.

I said they were nobodies with the general public not with "lifelong Marvel fans with thousands of back issues."  It doesn't matter what "level" YOU think they were at.  They were nobodies to Joe Non-comic-reader, who makes up a vastly larger portion of their audience than folks like us do.

As for your suggestions:  Disney couldn't actually use the Netflix characters for a couple years after they broke off the Netflix deal, so no, they could not have made a Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire movie, or at least not one that actually used Luke Cage and Iron Fist (or Misty Knight or Coleen Wing, etc...).  They can NOW, I believe, but there were legal agreements in place that kept Marvel from using the characters so that Netflix could have more time to capitalize on their shows, basically.  Inhumans was such an absolute disaster as a TV series that there was no way they were going to touch that property with a ten foot pole for a good ten years at a minimum.  

So...next example?  The fact of the matter is that Marvel's already either run out of pretty much all their A and B-listers and a good chunk of C-listers, or have other factors involved that have prevented them from putting them on the big screen just yet (like not having the rights until recently in the case of the FF and X-Men and to an extent the Netflix characters).  So yeah, it's time to start trying to pump up the C and D listers because that's pretty much all they've got left.

On 8/21/2021 at 7:50 AM, Jmacq1 said:

I said they were nobodies with the general public not with "lifelong Marvel fans with thousands of back issues."  It doesn't matter what "level" YOU think they were at.  They were nobodies to Joe Non-comic-reader, who makes up a vastly larger portion of their audience than folks like us do.

I get your point, but the EXACT same thing could be said for Guardians of the Galaxy, and they jumped straight from Joe-Nobody to house-hold name with one really dumb movie.

For that matter, who knew Iron Man outside of the comics and a syndicated cartoon from the 90s?

On 8/21/2021 at 7:50 AM, Jmacq1 said:

As for your suggestions:  Disney couldn't actually use the Netflix characters for a couple years after they broke off the Netflix deal, so no, they could not have made a Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire movie, or at least not one that actually used Luke Cage and Iron Fist (or Misty Knight or Coleen Wing, etc...).  They can NOW, I believe, but there were legal agreements in place that kept Marvel from using the characters so that Netflix could have more time to capitalize on their shows, basically.  Inhumans was such an absolute disaster as a TV series that there was no way they were going to touch that property with a ten foot pole for a good ten years at a minimum.  

So...next example?  The fact of the matter is that Marvel's already either run out of pretty much all their A and B-listers and a good chunk of C-listers, or have other factors involved that have prevented them from putting them on the big screen just yet (like not having the rights until recently in the case of the FF and X-Men and to an extent the Netflix characters).  So yeah, it's time to start trying to pump up the C and D listers because that's pretty much all they've got left.

Yup. Trying to make distinctions like that is always amusing to me because the majority of people likely had very little idea who Iron Fist or the Inhumans were before their respective TV debuts, and now unfortunately are most likely to associate them with their terrible TV shows anyway.

On 8/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, Legender said:

U cant blame someone who name himself Moron999 ... 🤷‍♂️

Well, the handle is actually Mo(n)ron999, but with the state of the public education system I can't blame you for your lack of reading skills, but YESSSSS, absolutely hilarious! I'm sure it comes as a complete surprise that you're not the first one to take that easy shot. Low hanging fruit is what I believe my friend @Benncalls it.

I've gone into this before, in much greater detail, in a much slower time on these forums, but allow me to give you some history as to where the name comes from. Ronald Montgomery was a friend and mentor of mine during my construction days. Under his tutelage I became a great mechanic and our working relationship was such that I agreed to work with him on a site that very few wanted to be at because it was in the middle of the squelching hot desert. Long story short, we were one day working on a high scaffold and having had three days of watching a forklift operator from another subcontractor have several instances where they came dangerously close to hitting the scaffold he pulled the crew and refused to put us back to work until the situation was handled. Needless to say this did not sit well with either our company or the contracting company and he wound up in a big hoopla about it. While in his heated meetings and negotiations he recommended none of the crew work on or around that area and gave us many other areas to find work. Needless to say, the operator did indeed eventually hit the scaffold and it did come down that day when we would have most assuredly been working on it, so Monty had pretty much saved my life and the lives of at least 6 others on the crew. About six months later, on another jobsite he had a massive heart attack and died alone in the dirt somewhere between the main office and the on sight nurses office.

Skip to 3 years later. I had worked my way up and through several positions in the company into management. I was going through finances of my projects and cleaning up clients or vendors that we no longer used or were no longer in business. As I moved on to payroll I noticed something that I had to bring to the attention of the owner. Talking to him it came to light that the owner had continued to pay Monty's salary to his widow for the last few years and I assume still does to this day. Not sure if it had anything to do with the fact that he was guilt ridden that he insisted Monty put us back on the scaffold on that fateful day, or whether it was Monty's years of loyalty and willingness to work whenever or wherever he was asked, or if it was just straight monetary considering what would have happened to his company and reputation had 8 of us died on that jobsite, but he did. Monty's sign on name was mon,ron1000, so though I'm well aware of how the call sign sounds and how easily it can be misconstrued or twisted into an easy mindless pun, I think I'll keep it.

Besides, who am I to deny so many brilliant and comedic minds their opportunity to grab onto a cheap pop when they don't agree with someone who happens to have a different opinion than themselves? 👌

On 8/21/2021 at 12:03 AM, LordVenger said:

But you do understand that these are in fact comic book characters in a comic book created existence. So it shouldn’t be an issue if comic book readers who have known the characters for decades have expectations of some likeness to the comics.

Yes, but they do resemble the comics, at least a little bit, and people are acting like they don't have any resemblance at all. Most of them have the same colors as their comic counterparts and the same or similar designs on their chests, in fact Ikaris, Thena, Sersi and Sprite look about as close as I'd expect.

At the very least, they look like their comic counterparts as much as most of the Asgardians do and I haven't heard nearly as many complaints about those.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:50 PM, Ironspider428 said:

"...Yes, but they do resemble the comics, at least a little bit, and people are acting like they don't have any resemblance at all....At the very least, they look like their comic counterparts as much as most of the Asgardians do and I haven't heard nearly as many complaints about those..."

LOL You cannot be serious. I'll give you Thena but nothing takes away from the fact that the figures are in loungewear. Big deal, Madden's in blue. What, they couldn't find a blonde wig there in Hollywoodland? Run down to Shaquita's Wig Shop off Crenshaw blvd, fer crissakes. Like I said, they didn't even try. And that's fine since they clearly weren't aiming to look like the comic. In that respect, mission accomplished.

No sir, green tentacle boy doesnt resemble Kro, and that BAF doesn't resemble Gilgamesh in any way shape or form. And why you're bringing up Asgardians, I don't know, 'cause anyone's who's familiar with the Warriors Three, Odin or Thor from the comics can definitely recognize their MCU counterparts. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:50 PM, Ironspider428 said:

Yes, but they do resemble the comics, at least a little bit, and people are acting like they don't have any resemblance at all. Most of them have the same colors as their comic counterparts and the same or similar designs on their chests, in fact Ikaris, Thena, Sersi and Sprite look about as close as I'd expect.

At the very least, they look like their comic counterparts as much as most of the Asgardians do and I haven't heard nearly as many complaints about those.

Yea I understand your point but they are supposed to have that Egyptian or Greece gods look to them and I just don’t think their movie attire reads that way. Of course that is just my eye and everyone will see things differently. Here are a couple of pics that stand out to me of what I’m talking about as far as the god look. Also thanos and his brother Eros (starfox) are eternals so you can imagine their looks. The movie attire reads to me Asian formal dress and makes me think they are students of the ancient one and would have fit perfectly into the dr strange movie. So I agree they are nice designs and colors but they just don’t fit for eternals. But still hopefully it will be a good movie. 

5C32ECB8-8E2C-4AE4-A2E3-5A7E76A47CEA.png

C756211B-4D8C-4AAB-AB00-2DEDDEAAF06F.png

8A91DD22-6ABD-4F3C-8912-5C087281A2C4.png

6997C4DC-99D2-426A-9100-6F2A608B2D76.png

@LordVenger Thanos and Starfox arent the same as these Eternals. Yes, they may be technically cousins, being that their leaders are brothers, but they have had very little to with each other. Hell I can't think of a story where Thanos and the Titans ever met the Earth Eternals.

That being said, I think many people will be getting this to stand in for there collections. The likelihood of us getting them in comic form soon is just over zero.