Rumor Report - New Marvel Legends Comic Based USAgent Coming In 2022

JayC

On 9/27/2021 at 3:54 AM, RyanDaly said:

People want the characters they know and don't care about the characters they don't know. Perfectly understandable, albeit self-centered.

Agree. I have a list of characters (everyone does) but if I get a brand new character I'm all for it. 

To be fair, people have been asking for Quake for a while, mostly because of AOS. 

On 9/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, GarimusPrime said:

Meh. Quake is too generic-looking for my tastes. She looks exactly like Maria Hill, right down to the short hair. I'd much rather see a classic original costumed Ms. Marvel, with an alternate head for Karla.

Classic Ms. Marvel was on the books but somehow hasn't made it yet. I want her though, and Maria Hill too. Never cared for Quake or the SHIELD tv show, but the Steranko Contessa would be welcome!

On 9/27/2021 at 3:59 AM, tarot said:

Thinking about it, maybe the reason  we are getting Quake is because AOS has finished up and they can use the character again. I think marvel TV was in that grey area since they never made much for them beyond the Netflix.

Damn that fiege vs lieb war really screwed us over.

I don't think so given the AOS cast even got their own comic and Hasbro stated that they have the access to the whole Marvel catalog (including shows and movies), so it is just them wanting to release the figure now.

Still I wondering which look they will use, Original Jolie or Modern Chloe head. (Maybe they will be nice and do both)

On 9/27/2021 at 2:02 AM, leokearon said:

I don't think so given the AOS cast even got their own comic and Hasbro stated that they have the access to the whole Marvel catalog (including shows and movies), so it is just them wanting to release the figure now.

Still I wondering which look they will use, Original Jolie or Modern Chloe head. (Maybe they will be nice and do both)

Their  idea of nice would probably be throwing in a doom head. Ha. 

On 9/27/2021 at 1:25 AM, Atlantis said:

Classic Ms. Marvel was on the books but somehow hasn't made it yet. I want her though, and Maria Hill too. Never cared for Quake or the SHIELD tv show, but the Steranko Contessa would be welcome!

That's something i can't understand either. Even if they don't want to belittle Captain Marvel by turning her back into a Ms. they can still label her as Dark Ms. Marvel. Then again, even calling her Dark Ms. Marvel would indicate that there was an actual Ms. Marvel at one time and we just can't have that. That's just a thing that's supposed to disappear down the memory hole.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:41 AM, monron999 said:

That's something i can't understand either. Even if they don't want to belittle Captain Marvel by turning her back into a Ms. they can still label her as Dark Ms. Marvel. Then again, even calling her Dark Ms. Marvel would indicate that there was an actual Ms. Marvel at one time and we just can't have that. That's just a thing that's supposed to disappear down the memory hole.

They probably don't want some people getting confused with Kamala

On 9/27/2021 at 4:49 PM, leokearon said:

Pretty Much this. Nothing about them trying to erasing her time as Ms. Marvel. They just don't want the 2 being mixed up. It's all about branding for the toys. Marvel has not tried to erase her time as Ms. Marvel. In fact alot of the time they embrace it. They also don't try and erase the other Capt. Marvels. For instant, when it was revealed she was half Kree, they didn't erase her gaining her powers by getting them from Mar-Vell. Instead they explained it that Mar-Vell's presence activated her dormant kree blood. 

On 9/27/2021 at 11:05 AM, tarot said:

It's all about branding for the toys. 

Not just the toys, they have two full-blown franchises on deck here. Movies, cartoons, comics, YA novels, stationery goods all the usual revenue streams. As you said, two multimedia franchises are better than one.

Another possible wrinkle is that while Captain Carol seams to catch the brunt of the blow-back from Marvel's "Woke" phase,  (not really fair, but there it is), I have yet to see anyone who doesn't like Kamala Kahn. She's like a comic book version of LeVarr Burton or Milana Vayntrub (the AT&T Girl), you just CAN'T dislike them. That kind of across the board likability is rare (and potentially profitable), and I can kinda see Marvel wanting to protect it.

On 9/27/2021 at 5:30 PM, mako said:

Another possible wrinkle is that while Captain Carol seams to catch the brunt of the blow-back from Marvel's "Woke" phase,  (not really fair, but there it is), I have yet to see anyone who doesn't like Kamala Kahn. That kind of across the board likability is rare, and I can kinda see Marvel wanting to protect it.

Oh there is plenty of people who hate Kamala. Mostly because, like you said, they are anti-"Woke". That plus she is muslim, which while it is part of her characters, has never really been the focus of her character. In fact, she is just a normal American kid who loves comics and superheroes. 

IMPO Kamala, alongside Mile Morales, has been one of the best character Marvel has created in years. She is such a fun character to read.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, tarot said:

IMPO Kamala, alongside Mile Morales, has been one of the best character Marvel has created in years. She is such a fun character to read.

I agree whole-heartedly on Kamala, but with Miles, I have a caveat. To my mind at least, Miles didn't really Get Good until they moved away from all the "Black Spider-Man" crap and really let him be his own character.

I just wish all Marvel's characters were so carefully shepherded.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:50 AM, Beamish said:

"....if there's another comic Avengers wave in the future, I'd rather a female villain spot go to somebody new, like Titania, Nebula, Diamondback, Deathbird,  Alkhema, Morgan Le Fay, Nekra or Black Swan....

Diamondback would be great, along with Anaconda, Asp and Black Mamba

US Agent is the one I would mostly want with Speedball coming in second as another team builder for New Warriors whom I am debating if I want to complete or not. Like I said before I have grown tired of waiting to complete my teams over the course of years. So Speedball is a debate for me. The others are passable except for maybe Lady Hydra and whatever Iron Man turns out to be. Thor as well.

I know what you mean; its been about 6-7 (?) years since they did Vance Astro, yet no other original Galaxy team member has been made. Around the same time the 4" Universe line had done both Astro and Yondu, so I thought 6" Yondu at least was right around the corner. Sometimes these forums will say "there's not enough demand" for this or that figure, but really how much demand was there for Titus, or Spymaster (don't get me wrong, Spymaster was a welcome surprise for me)?? Anyway, that is a long time and sadly, we don't have a clue how many more years it will be before the team is completed.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:36 AM, tarot said:

Oh there is plenty of people who hate Kamala. Mostly because, like you said, they are anti-"Woke". That plus she is muslim, which while it is part of her characters, has never really been the focus of her character. In fact, she is just a normal American kid who loves comics and superheroes. 

I'll agree with you that Kamala and Miles are by far the best to crawl out of the ANAD dumpster fire, followed by RiRi, but I tend to agree more with @mako about Kamala. I think she's pretty well liked because she was actually a new character at a time when most of the characters were more or less made as a gender or race bent (or other) version of another character made to replace said character. Nothing about Kamala, other than the name and the fact that the original Ms. Marvel was her hero, had much to do about trying to replace that person. And as far as her being hated because she was Muslim, that's just plain ridiculous. Sure I suppose there were a few raaaacistuhh aceholes in the bunch that didn't like it but it's not like Marvel wasn't already diverse before she got there. Saying they hated her cuz she was/is Muslim is like saying some people hated Nightcrawler cuz he was German or Catholic or Some people hating Kitty Pryde cuz she's a woman or Jewish. Again, I'm sure there were a few d-bags that had or have a problem with any or all of the above, but they are in the strong, strong, strong, yet very miniscule minority of the overall fanbase.

The whole "Hate her cuz she's Muslim" bit just doesn't fly and it never did. A few unenlightened, intolerable idiots does not a racist society create. You can walk by a thousand people in a day and say "hi". Most of them will say "hi" back, some will say nothing, some may grunt or look at you funny, but a the end of the day the only people you're gonna really remember are the few horrible people that said something derogatory or uttered a slur. That's not widespread racism, that's a few repulsive misguided people in a thousand.

The so called creators of the characters of ANAD knew what they were doing all along with trying to act like they somehow suddenly created diversity in a medium that already had plenty in it, but they were also hoping to drum up some drama and outrage and it was a flat on it's face failure, though some of the characters were a relative success. People that have such a problem with other peoples of varying racial, religious, gender and other backgrounds woulda left a long time ago, cuz diversity was already there. The honks that were behind the ANAD catastrophe didn't create diversity, they just mad a mockery of it. Diversity and equality is basically what the entire creation of the X-Men were based upon, and they are still, by far, the most well loved characters in the Marvel Universe.

On 9/27/2021 at 12:44 PM, Dodge76 said:

US Agent is the one I would mostly want with Speedball coming in second as another team builder for New Warriors whom I am debating if I want to complete or not. Like I said before I have grown tired of waiting to complete my teams over the course of years. So Speedball is a debate for me. The others are passable except for maybe Lady Hydra and whatever Iron Man turns out to be. Thor as well.

For me, the star of this one is Quake. Speedball brings up a solid second, and U.S.Agent and Lady Hydra are welcome as well. I'll have to wait and see what Hasbro has planned, but with 80th. Thor and Modular Iron Man in my collection, I just don't feel any special need to grab a new version of either.

On 9/28/2021 at 1:44 AM, mako said:

For me, the star of this one is Quake. Speedball brings up a solid second, and U.S.Agent and Lady Hydra are welcome as well. I'll have to wait and see what Hasbro has planned, but with 80th. Thor and Modular Iron Man in my collection, I just don't feel any special need to grab a new version of either.

For me it's Speedball for my New Warriors, Blue Marvel cause I liked the character since I was introduced to him in Mighty Avengers, Quake cause of AOS and needing to finish off the Secret War team (the nick fury team), Madame Hydra because ANYTHING is better then the one we got and US Agent, Iron Man and Thor share the same spot simply cause I don't know what version they are.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:48 AM, RyanDaly said:

The retro 3.75" version that came out earlier this year was just called Carol Danvers to avoid the Captain/Ms. dispute.

spacer.png

Can you detail the “dispute”? I hadn’t heard anything about this and it got my curiosity 

On 9/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, leokearon said:

I’m not sure ‘confusion’ of characters ever crossed their minds. If so, why would they continue to have: 

2 Spider-Men

2 Captain America’s 

3(4?) Ghost Riders

2 Falcons 

2 Hulks

etc, etc, etc..why would it only apply to Ms Marvel?

On 9/27/2021 at 9:39 PM, McHogan said:

I’m not sure ‘confusion’ of characters ever crossed their minds. If so, why would they continue to have: 

2 Spider-Men

2 Captain America’s 

3(4?) Ghost Riders

2 Falcons 

2 Hulks

etc, etc, etc..why would it only apply to Ms Marvel?

In this specific case? Because Ms. Marvel is no longer the name they market Carol Danvers under, to the extent that they now have her referred to as Captain Marvel in just about every bit of merchandise and media they produce (or just her civilian name as the other poster showed with the 3.75 inch figure). That is also presumably why the recent-ish figures of Genis-Vell and Mar-Vell were simply released under those names, as well as why if they ever do a classic 80s Monica Rambeau, she'll most likely just have that name or Spectrum on the packaging.  Hell, I'm shocked the figure of Carol as Binary actually uses that name.

Pretty much all of this is stuff with implications for broader media (where the actual money is to be made), where any concern about multiple people using the same name is less of an issue anyway since they aren't bound by the same status quo as the comics.