Marvel's Midnight Suns Launches In March 2022

JayC

Creative Director Jake Solomon and Senior Franchise Producer Garth DeAngelis of Marvel's Midnight Suns posted to Twitter that the game will be delayed until late 2022, instead of March, 2022.

Marvel’s Midnight Suns is a a new tactical RPG set in the darker side of the Marvel Universe that brings players face-to-face against supernatural forces as they team up with and live among the Midnight Suns, Earth’s last line of defense against the underworld.

Both expressed that more time is needed to polish several details, including the story and cinematics.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, Outsiders said:

Creative Director Jake Solomon and Senior Franchise Producer Garth DeAngelis of Marvel's Midnight Suns posted to Twitter that the game will be delayed until late 2022, instead of March, 2022.

Marvel’s Midnight Suns is a a new tactical RPG set in the darker side of the Marvel Universe that brings players face-to-face against supernatural forces as they team up with and live among the Midnight Suns, Earth’s last line of defense against the underworld.

Both expressed that more time is needed to polish several details, including the story and cinematics.

If it's for the better, I'll wait...

On 11/4/2021 at 12:46 PM, Hogun said:

So, Wolverine and Magik are our token X-Men characters. What about the rest of the cast? I had hoped we could play as Beast or Cyclops.

Wolverine is obvious but Magik is included more so because of her magic connection and the fact that she was Dr. Strange's student for a while. 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:45 AM, NotNamed said:

Huh. So I guess this has nothing to do with Midnight Sons since Ghost Rider is the only character that matches even though it says supernatural and darker side. Odd to see Wolverine and Iron Man in there and I don't know what's with all the yellow. Guess this merry group has made special costumes for themselves.

Blade is in it too.  And many of the rest of the characters do at least match the "Supernatural" side (Dr. Strange, Nico Minoru, Magik).  But no, we're probably not getting a bunch of characters that the mainstream doesn't know about in the least (IE any of the OG Midnight Sons there weren't (a) Ghost Rider, Blade, and/or maybe Morbius...who I wouldn't be surprised to see show up in the game in one form or another as well).  They don't just want to sell the game to fans of semi-obscure 90's comics...they want to sell to casual fans as well.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, Jmacq1 said:

Blade is in it too.  And many of the rest of the characters do at least match the "Supernatural" side (Dr. Strange, Nico Minoru, Magik).  But no, we're probably not getting a bunch of characters that the mainstream doesn't know about in the least (IE any of the OG Midnight Sons there weren't (a) Ghost Rider, Blade, and/or maybe Morbius...who I wouldn't be surprised to see show up in the game in one form or another as well).  They don't just want to sell the game to fans of semi-obscure 90's comics...they want to sell to casual fans as well.

No there's not gonna be a buncha characters no one knows or cares about. Maybe a few of the more obscure characters but they aren't gonna be awkwardly forcing any characters that nobody wants like they did Kamala in Avengers. This is them taking another shot at what they wanted to do with the Avengers game without doing all the stupid isht that made that game garbage. With characters like Wolverine and Iron Man in it this is Midnight Suns in name only. I hope Avengers was a learning process and something was actually learned in that process, and I really hope this is a much better game than it's predecessor. Pretty much nothing releases "on time" anymore, especially in the gaming industry, so it comes as a surprise to no one, I'm sure. I just hope it means they're taking a little extra time and effort to engineer out all the BS that screwed up Avengers. Strip away all the BS and the concept was not that bad.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:45 AM, Jmacq1 said:

Yeah I forgot to mention Blade, but what's supernatural about Iron Man, Captain America, and Wolverine? They didn't have to throw them into Guardians of the Galaxy to make it sell.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:18 PM, NotNamed said:

Yeah I forgot to mention Blade, but what's supernatural about Iron Man, Captain America, and Wolverine? They didn't have to throw them into Guardians of the Galaxy to make it sell.

Yeah, it would made more sense to put in the likes of Wanda and Strange.

On 11/6/2021 at 1:15 AM, NotNamed said:

Yeah. It's not like Dr. Strange wasn't heavily involved in the original Midnight Sons. If you want magic, throw in Loki and Wanda.

I don't know what Midnight Sons you remember but not only was Strange heavily involved in them, he also gathered them and lead the team.

Uh...I'm pretty sure Dr. Strange is in the game.

Cap, Spidey, Wolverine and Iron Man are Marvel's staples and probably the most common "guest stars" in that universe (particularly Spider-Man and Wolverine).  Guardians can get away with not having them because it's not happening on Earth and the Guardians are now very well-known on their own thanks to the movies.

I do agree that they could probably have limited it to like...Spidey and Wolverine, or maybe brought in Thor instead of Iron Man (though I bet he shows up in some capacity).

Though I'd note this also isn't a sequel or "follow up" to the Square/Enix Avengers game (which sucked for reasons that had nothing to do with character selection), it's an entirely different kind of game from a different studio.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:29 PM, tarot said:

I don't know what Midnight Sons you remember but not only was Strange heavily involved in them, he also gathered them and lead the team.

It was an attempt at understatement.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:14 AM, Jmacq1 said:

Guardians can get away with not having them because it's not happening on Earth and the Guardians are now very well-known on their own thanks to the movies.

I was actually thinking of the original GotG movie, before it was a franchise success. They took a chance and didn't try to throw a bunch of stars into it.

• 7 months later...

2K and Marvel Entertainment today announced Marvel’s Midnight Suns will launch on October 7, 2022. Created by Firaxis Games, the legendary studio behind the critically-acclaimed, world-renowned Civilization and XCOM franchises, Marvel's Midnight Suns is an all-new tactical RPG set in the darker side the Marvel Universe. It will be available on PlayStation®5 (PS4™), PlayStation®4 (PS4™), Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam and Epic Games Store. The Nintendo Switch version of the game will be available at a later date. Rated 12 by PEGI, Marvel’s Midnight Suns is now available for pre-order.

When the demonic Lilith and her fearsome horde unite with the evil armies of Hydra, it’s time to unleash Marvel’s dark side. As The Hunter, your mission is to lead an unlikely team of seasoned Super Heroes and dangerous supernatural warriors to victory. Can legends such as Doctor Strange, Iron Man, and Blade put aside their differences in the face of a growing apocalyptic threat? If you’re going to save the world, you'll have to forge alliances and lead the team into battle with the legendary Midnight Suns - Earth's last line of defense against the underworld.

With an array of upgradeable characters and skills allowing you to build your unique version of The Hunter, you will choose how to send Lilith’s army back to the underworld.

“We're thrilled to invite players into the darker, supernatural side of Marvel," said Bill Rosemann, Vice President and Creative Director at Marvel Games. “In Marvel’s Midnight Suns, our friends at Firaxis and 2K have created an incredibly unique and authentic Marvel experience that fans can leap into this October!"

As part of today’s announcement, 2K debuted a thrilling new cinematic trailer at Summer Games Fest 2022 that showcased the Midnight Suns in action against Lilith’s army, joined by two newly revealed and unlockable playable heroes - including Spider-Man! But just as the heroes come together to unite against Lilith, the Mother of Demons assembles her twisted entourage – corrupted Fallen versions of Venom, Sabretooth, Scarlet Witch, and the Hulk!

“We know fans have been eager to see what’s coming next for Marvel’s Midnight Suns,” said Jake Solomon, Creative Director at Firaxis Games. “We’re honored by the opportunity to introduce so many new heroes and villains to Marvel fans and can’t wait for tactics players to discover the joys of fighting like a Super Hero in Marvel’s Midnight Suns!”

Marvel's Midnight Suns will be available in four editions: Standard Edition, Enhanced Edition, Digital+ Edition, and Legendary Edition:

• The Standard Edition will be available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam and Epic Games Store. It includes the base game;
  • The Enhanced Edition will be available for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. It includes a next-gen optimized version of the game for next-gen consoles and five premium cosmetic skins;
  • The Digital+ Edition will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam and Epic Games Store. It includes 11 premium cosmetic skins. PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S SKUs include the next-gen optimized version of the game for next-gen consoles;
  • The Legendary Edition will be available for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam and Epic Games Store. It includes 23 premium cosmetic skins, as well as access to the post-launch Marvel’s Midnight Suns Season Pass**.

**Marvel's Midnight Suns Season Pass to deliver content after launch; more details will be shared in the future.

For a full breakdown of what's included in each version of the game, as well as pre-order bonuses, please visit www.midnightsuns.com.

Marvel's Midnight Suns will allow you to:

• Unleash the Darker Side of Marvel. Rise against Lilith and her underworld army as you experience a deeply personal story that puts you at its center as The Hunter, the first customizable original hero in the Marvel universe. In the face of fallen allies and the fate of the world at stake, it will be up to you to rise against the darkness!;
  • Lead Heroes from Across the Marvel Universe. Fight fire with hellfire and lead an unlikely team of seasoned Super Heroes and dangerous supernatural warriors across The Avengers, X-Men, Runaways, and more. Resist Lilith's corruption and confront Fallen versions of some of Marvel's most iconic and powerful characters, including Venom, Sabretooth, and even the Hulk!;
  • Fight, Think, and Live Like a Super Hero. From the legendary studio, Firaxis Games comes a deep tactical RPG where you fight and strategize like a Super Hero! Create the perfect squad and customize their abilities, unleashing skills and attacks to devastate the battlefield. Live the Super Hero life in the Abbey, your very own mystical secret base, and strengthen personal bonds outside the field of battle.

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Cinematic_St_Spider-Man_Joins_the_Midnight_Suns!.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Cinematic_Stills_-_Fallen_Hulk_Smash!.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Cinematic_Stills_-_Ghost_Rider_Brings_the_Heat.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Cinematic_Stills_-_Sharp_Weapons.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Cinematic_Stills_-_Supernatural_Threats.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Cinematic_Stills_-_The_Mother_of_Demons.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Key_Art_-_Legendary_2022.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Key_Art_-_Standard_2022.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshot_-_Call_an_Ambulance.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshot_-_Defending_the_Sanctum.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshot_-_Hydra_Squad.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshot_-_Nighttime_Abbey.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshot_-_On_the_Hunt.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshot_-_The_Scarlet_Witch.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshots_-_At_the_War_Table.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshots_-_Spider-Man_vs._Fallen_Venom.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_Screenshots_-_Training_with_Blade.jpg

Marvel_s_Midnight_Suns_-_SKU_Lineup.jpg

Didn’t they announce this was some sort of virtual card based game? I mean , nothing in this trailer supports that. I’d be annoyed AF thinking I was buying a action game to find out I’m actually investing in a deck builder

On 6/11/2022 at 9:17 AM, McHogan said:

Didn’t they announce this was some sort of virtual card based game? I mean , nothing in this trailer supports that. I’d be annoyed AF thinking I was buying a action game to find out I’m actually investing in a deck builder

Well the trailer doesn't just much gameplay footage but he accompanying images clearly show the cards

It's a turn-based tatical RPG with a card-based combat mechanic. The multiple gameplay videos I've seen show off a ton of customization and it looks like it'll be a lot of fun to explore combos and strategies between different heroes. They did say you spend a lot of the time in The Abbey interacting with characters as part of the friendship mechanic. I'm excited and definitely trust the makers of XCOM 2, but I understand the apprehension of people who don't play those type of games.