Shang-Chi Brings In Less Than Black Widow For It's Opening Weekend At The Box Office

JayC

Just watched this and it was really great. I hate use this term because it's a cliche, but it basically a Jackie chan / Bruce Lee marvel movie but you know with scifi and dragon. 

Wen wu was probably the most relatable villain in the mcu. 

Also am I the only one who think that they have been setting up the proper introduction of marvel other main martial artist into the mcu?

Shang-Chi topped out the 4 day Memorial Day weekend here in the US bringing in $90 million, which is higher than originally expected. At the international box office, “Shang-Chi” amassed $56.2 million making the total take $146.2 million.

This sets a box office record for the Memorial Day weekend which is traditionally a slow period for movie-goers. The only other MCU movie to open at theaters since the pandemic began is Black Widow which back in July for it's opening weekend brought in $80 from domestic movie theaters and internationally brought in $78 million making the total theatrical take $158 million. Black Widow unlike Shung-Chi was also released at home the same day it hit theaters where it brought in an additional $60 from Disney+

Disney CEO Bob Chapek several weeks ago said releasing Shang-Chi at theaters only during the Pandemic would make for an “interesting experiment,” and made indications that they would determine if Eternals would see a joint home/theater release like Black Widow or make it a theater only release based on how Shang-Chi does.

On 9/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, tarot said:

Also am I the only one who think that they have been setting up the proper introduction of marvel other main martial artist into the mcu?

I was listening closely for a reference to K'un-Lun, but I don't think Marvel has any intention of doing anything with Iron Fist any time soon. His Netflix series was met with controversy even before it started with critiques that they were whitewashing what should've/could've been an Asian character. That was somewhat ignorant because all the show was doing was casting a white actor to play a white character. On the other hand, Iron Fist is an example of appropriating Asian culture for whites. That's what they did in the '70s, with shows like Kung-Fu. It's the reason why Doug Moench walked off the Iron Fist comic after an awkward conversation with Larry Hama. So maybe Marvel should have changed with the times and cast an Asian/Asian-American actor to play Iron Fist in the first place? And since most people (not all, but most) hated the Iron Fist show and hated the actor who played him, Marvel would want to put some distance between their movies and that character.

Fast forward to the Shang-Chi movie; they've tied his origin to a mystical city with a dragon, and they've given him a superpower gimmick allowing him to do the whole super-punch thing. I mean, Wenwu was using his hand "like unto a thing of iron" against the gate/door.

Bottom line is, this version of Shang-Chi borrows so much from Iron Fist that there's hardly any reason to use Iron Fist in the movies. And that kind of sucks because Iron Fist has one of my all-time favorite costumes in comics, but they just don't need him. 

I think an Iron Fist anthology movie showcasing various Iron Fists from across time would be an awesome film and a good way to side-step the Netflix junk, but it does seem unlikely. Maybe we can get a proper Immortal Weapons tournament in the sequel and Iron Fist himself can reappear there as an opponent with a cool fight that joins Shang to fight the real big bad.

I thought I saw Fat Cobra at the underground fight ring.

@RyanDaly That may be but you forget about the 7 Forbidden Cities, with Iron Fist's Kun-Lun is only one. This village could be just another one. They could easily have each city having a dragon and eventually do the Tournament. I mean they don't have to use the Netflix actor. I think Fiege pretty much want to forget about those since he wasn't involved with them.

They could... but it seems unnecessary at this point. Any Iron Fist story you wanted to tell you can do with Shang-Chi now. And bringing Iron Fist back doesn't solve the appropriation question that the greatest martial arts fighter is... a white billionaire! I feel like they narrowly dodged that bullet with Doctor Strange already, best to avoid that problem altogether.

All that is to say, if they want to adapt the Seven Capitol Cities of Heaven story arc with Shang-Chi as the sequel, I'm fine with that. My hunch, though, is they're planning something to do with Fin Fang Foom. Maybe they could do both.

On 9/6/2021 at 5:38 PM, tarot said:

@RyanDaly That may be but you forget about the 7 Forbidden Cities, with Iron Fist's Kun-Lun is only one. This village could be just another one. They could easily have each city having a dragon and eventually do the Tournament. I mean they don't have to use the Netflix actor. I think Fiege pretty much want to forget about those since he wasn't involved with them.

Well I hope he doesn't dislike Charlie Cox as much as the rest of the crew. He was legit as DD and it would take a really skilled actor to do it better. Now if Feige wants to make him a bit tougher, similar to how he was in the comics during the 80's and 90's, rather than getting his ayass damn near put to sleep in every episode like Invincible on Prime, that would be just peachy. Keep the actor, make him actually look like a super hero rather than some psycho in pajamas. He has 360 "vision", it's literally impossible to take him by surprise yet all it takes is someone to sneak up behind him and crack him in the head with a vase and he's dead meat had Elektra or Frank not come to his rescue. You can't have him be Captain Kickass when he's smacking around the grunts and then turn him into some tomato can when he meets up with the "boss". He's fought the likes of Captain America and Wolverine to a standstill, has proven to be more intuitive and clever than Spidey, taken out Pyro and Blob single handedly, and survived an army of Ultron Drones. Let's make DD great again.

Gee, just one day ago, this website claimed that "Shang-Chi" was a bust and a financial failure.  Which is it?  An abject failure, or a film that broke a 14-year-old Labor Day record?  I'm so confused!  {Actually, I'm not.  i'm joking.  I fully comprehend the difference between a bust and a success.  I hope everyone who reads these posts is equally discerning.)

On 9/6/2021 at 8:18 PM, monron999 said:

Well I hope he doesn't dislike Charlie Cox as much as the rest of the crew. He was legit as DD and it would take a really skilled actor to do it better. Now if Feige wants to make him a bit tougher, similar to how he was in the comics during the 80's and 90's, rather than getting his ayass damn near put to sleep in every episode like Invincible on Prime, that would be just peachy. Keep the actor, make him actually look like a super hero rather than some psycho in pajamas. He has 360 "vision", it's literally impossible to take him by surprise yet all it takes is someone to sneak up behind him and crack him in the head with a vase and he's dead meat had Elektra or Frank not come to his rescue. You can't have him be Captain Kickass when he's smacking around the grunts and then turn him into some tomato can when he meets up with the "boss".

From the rumors I've heard, it sounds like they are indeed retaining Charlie Cox to play Matt Murdock in future projects. I'm fine with that, but I just hope that they improve his Daredevil costume the next time he wears it.

It's laughable that once again, some want  tokenization of a character who's originally Caucasian  & his origin clearly shows why he ended up in Kun- Lun & getting trained by the Thunderer from age 8-18 & becoming their finest and best MA who earned the right to face the undying Dragon and earn the Iron fist. But nah, let's change his race to appease others. I hated the Netflix series cuz the actor they picked looked like he walked off the set of GOT & didn't do a day of weight lifting or conditioning. Zero muscle tone or definition for a guy that's supposed to be in Shang Chi's class.  The entire 2 seasons sucked as they also changed the nationality of Steel Serpent as well.  He should have been Asian but didn't see anyone whining about that. 

On 9/6/2021 at 9:12 PM, Gigantor said:

It's laughable that once again, some want  tokenization of a character who's originally Caucasian  & his origin clearly shows why he ended up in Kun- Lun & getting trained by the Thunderer from age 8-18 & becoming their finest and best MA who earned the right to face the undying Dragon and earn the Iron fist. But nah, let's change his race to appease others. I hated the Netflix series cuz the actor they picked looked like he walked off the set of GOT & didn't do a day of weight lifting or conditioning. Zero muscle tone or definition for a guy that's supposed to be in Shang Chi's class.  The entire 2 seasons sucked as they also changed the nationality of Steel Serpent as well.  He should have been Asian but didn't see anyone whining about that. 

Yes, it was ridiculous from the start, yet somehow so predictable and typical for the current atmosphere. The entire point of Power Man and Iron Fist to begin with was to showcase the dynamic of a Black and White partnership at a time when race relations were in a state of evolution. There was no intent on any kind of cultural appropriation. It was a big guy with augmented abilities teamed with another character who had been created to have a contemporary skill set. Kung Fu was the "it" thing in movies at the time so they gave the kid a Kung Fu training back ground. That's the gist of it. His origin story almost aligns exactly with the Snake Eyes origin, and we all know what happened with that steaming heap when they decided to turn his origin story on it's head. Oh wait, it was the plague. But wait, didn't Shang Chi just kick all kinds of ayass right in the middle of the delta, alpha & omega, epsilon, lambda lambda lambda, sultry, ultra, mega, Larson strain? Well, throw that out the window. Maybe sometimes unnecessary changes to appease a group that will never be appeased at the risk of alienating a true fan base is a really bad idea. And maybe sometimes bad ideas just make a bad movie.

Well, at least Disney has gotten into the habit of hiring some lesser know actors to play significant roles in the MCU lately so maybe they'll hire someone that isn't as concerned as Henry Goulding reportedly was about not putting a mask on in order to make sure his face got the proper amount of screen time. And yeah, hell no to bringing back the Netflix actor (whoever the hell he was) who always skipped leg day, and everything else day, for that matter. That seriously looked like they walked into the nearest Applebee's and said "hey, there any outta work actors in here with blond hair and blue eyes, and willing to work for Amazon gift cards and 5, count them....5 partial student loan payments on your Liberal Arts degree?" Of course, as Disney does they'll use it towards the narrative. "Well, they didn't like the actor who played him on the Netflix show, so we took that into consideration and now they are a non-binary Asian female raised in Wakanda and taken into space and then crash landed in K'un-Lun, an ancient mystic city of all female Warrior Hero Monks to be trained by the Legendary Lei Kung, who is also female and Celtic (cuz she was just the best actor for the job, of course) to defeat and liberate the other 7 Cities of Heaven from Toxic Masculinity and Nazi Fascists."

Just watch that train wreck unravel.

On 9/7/2021 at 1:18 AM, monron999 said:

Well I hope he doesn't dislike Charlie Cox as much as the rest of the crew. He was legit as DD and it would take a really skilled actor to do it better. Now if Feige wants to make him a bit tougher, similar to how he was in the comics during the 80's and 90's, rather than getting his ayass damn near put to sleep in every episode like Invincible on Prime, that would be just peachy. Keep the actor, make him actually look like a super hero rather than some psycho in pajamas. He has 360 "vision", it's literally impossible to take him by surprise yet all it takes is someone to sneak up behind him and crack him in the head with a vase and he's dead meat had Elektra or Frank not come to his rescue. You can't have him be Captain Kickass when he's smacking around the grunts and then turn him into some tomato can when he meets up with the "boss". He's fought the likes of Captain America and Wolverine to a standstill, has proven to be more intuitive and clever than Spidey, taken out Pyro and Blob single handedly, and survived an army of Ultron Drones. Let's make DD great again.

Well If J.K. Simmons is any indication, Marvel is not against casting the same actor for the same character but in a different universe, if that actor is memorable in the role.

Just watched it last night. It was awesome. I loved everything in it, the costume design, the production design for Ta Lo and it’s creatures, the lighting and color in the photography. And the story, I related to Shang-Chi’s troubled upbringing in a non-criminal but ideology conflicting house. It even made me not hate Awkwafina, so that’s something I give kudos to. 

10 out of 10 rings from me.

On 9/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, Gigantor said:

Lol! If you got the jab, you're "immune" to the China virus. Why would you be worried about the one who choose not to get the jab or walk around wearing face diapers? Don't you trust the "science"? Also, why go to a " crammed" theater? Since I hate dealing with crowds, noisy brats, I always go on Sundays and watch the 11am matinee, only a handful of people at that time.

Because we understand the science. If we had all taken it seriously from the beginning we wouldn’t be dealing with variants that occur when the virus mutates to better adapt to surviving. If we do not eradicate the virus, it doesn’t matter how immune you are, you will always be at risk unless the virus can’t find hosts to mutate in. You read comic books, you understand mutants and evolution, right? Even if I were as selfless as @Virtualzach, taking care of others ends up taking care of myself. Hope you stay healthy and no one you know suffers from the consequences of this. 

I am really disappointed with that movie, it seems like knock version of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" infused with worst aspects of mcu generic. There's great memorable action scenes, especially bus scene, which is easily top 5 MCU sequences, although final battle is uninspired CGI mess, humor is the typical cringe inducing marvel humor, I don't think such huge inclusion of Awkwafina adds anything to make movie any better or funnier, if anything if we saw more sad and lonely Shang Chi working dead end job while also suffering traumas of his tragic childhood we could have way more compelling character arc that would make us more sympathetic to him but instead we get cringe jokes, although seeing Trevor was kinda good surprise. But whole character plot point of Shang Chi and his father seems like unfinished draft that needed way more work, Wenwu who supposed to be brutal ancient Warlord with years of experience seems like just a modern day guy who really misses his wife, movie does very little to portray him as anything close to thousand year old warlord,  and they had legendary Tony Leung and they gave him this script when they could easily write and portray character that could easily rival and best Thanos.  This movie gives me same impression as Black Widow, another wasted opportunity, but at least Shang Chi might get better sequel.

On 9/7/2021 at 8:21 AM, monron999 said:

But wait, didn't Shang Chi just kick all kinds of ayass right in the middle of the delta, alpha & omega, epsilon, lambda lambda lambda, sultry, ultra, mega, Larson strain?

Um, excuse me, but I don’t appreciate you making light of the Larson strain. I have a really good friend who contracted it, and I assure you it was no laughing matter. The primary symptom was that every time she said anything, the virus would take it out of context, weaponize it, and spread it around. At one point, her body temperature had fallen all the way down to 54° before the hospital was able to suspend reviews and bring it back up to 96°. It was soul-chilling, and I don’t appreciate the jokes.

On 9/8/2021 at 7:38 PM, Benn said:

Um, excuse me, but I don’t appreciate you making light of the Larson strain. I have a really good friend who contracted it, and I assure you it was no laughing matter. The primary symptom was that every time she said anything, the virus would take it out of context, weaponize it, and spread it around. At one point, her body temperature had fallen all the way down to 54° before the hospital was able to suspend reviews and bring it back up to 96°. It was soul-chilling, and I don’t appreciate the jokes.

Haven't we all? By liberal dogwatching standards today, once you've endured a crisis, which I have, you're then allowed to make lite of it. I didn't write the rules.

Plus, if that's all you got outta that then you're obviously just looking for something to be outraged about. Happy hunting, I'm not gonna be dragged into another thread killing argument just cuz you don't like what I said. The next time I take into account whether everyone will appreciate what I have to say will be the first time.

Finally gathered the family together and keep our tradition of watching the latest MCU movie together.

This film was a good Marvel movie full of great action, few funny spots and continues the Universe building. but It missed the mark for me in a lot of ways. 

The bad: I’ve never wanted a character to die to propel the Hero’s story more than Awkwafina’s Marvel’s Katy. She was GRATING from beginning  to end and had zero chemistry with Shang Chi. Morris was obviously there for the kids. Hiring relative unknown actors backfired here as most showed little range. Normally I dig Marvels type of humor but these jokes were just bad. And Marvels Katy’s Hotel California distraction was groan inducing. 

Ugh  these villains. Wen Wu aside, I won’t spoil anything for those who have yet to see this film but one who was featured prominently in trailers meets a very “Fett” like ending and the other is completely wasted.

The good. Tony Leung stole this movie with his performance. This is the one guy in the film to bring his A game. I got more emotion from him through the film then literally every other actor in the movie, ( tho which is it Disney? Is Wen Wu a battle hardened Warlord or a father driven to madness by tragedy} They keep TELLING us what a blood thirsty monster he was but his actions SHOWED us he was anything but). His arc was really more redeeming than Shang Chi’s. 

Simu Liu’s fight scenes were amazing. I agree the bus fight is a top MCU moment and a great introduction to Shang Chi.

The cameos were fun and helped build the MCU heading into an uncertain phase. A few were just classic Marvel Comics one panel type appearance of a unrelated character that would pop up in the main characters book. The others felt a little forced but since I have great love for those characters it was fun to see them again. 

Overall, I think this is a fun film. It hasn’t changed my mind about the boring character designs and Don’t see this film really raising interest in the accompanying Legends figures released months ago. Figure Eternals will do little for the figures either but will wait and see

On 9/16/2021 at 10:06 PM, McHogan said:

Overall, I think this is a fun film. It hasn’t changed my mind about the boring character designs and Don’t see this film really raising interest in the accompanying Legends figures released months ago. Figure Eternals will do little for the figures either but will wait and see

Spot on. It was a decent movie. Definitely better than I expected. The action was good and I really enjoyed the interpretation of "Mandarin". Character designs were drab but Shang-Chi was never all that dynamic from the start. At least they didn't give him the treatment that Netflix gave Iron Fist and put him in sweats and douche casual suits. Not near the upper tier of MCU movies, but certainly better than Captain Space Jesus and Dark World and arguably Iron Man 3.

I agree with your assessment of Awkwafina. She is about the most annoying person in Hollywood right now. Where the hell she came from, how she managed to squirrel her way into fame and when will her damn 15 minutes be up is a mystery for the ages. Even Jar Jar Binks was rolling his eyes. Movie did not need her brand of "comedy". Woulda been better without her.

I doubt the movie will spawn a second wave cuz they hit on most of the main characters out front. Put it out cuz you had to, cut bait and then forget it. Same can probably be said for the Eternals wave. Insomnia curing designs, monochromatic color schemes, lame BAF. I'm sure they had this in mind when they decided to knock out the entire crew in one wave and a few exclusives. Get em all outta the way, rip off the band-aid and start looking to the future. I still maintain the movie might be good, but nothing more than a one-off to set up future projects and explain plot holes from the past. 

On 9/16/2021 at 11:47 PM, monron999 said:

Spot on. It was a decent movie. Definitely better than I expected. The action was good and I really enjoyed the interpretation of "Mandarin". Character designs were drab but Shang-Chi was never all that dynamic from the start. At least they didn't give him the treatment that Netflix gave Iron Fist and put him in sweats and douche casual suits. Not near the upper tier of MCU movies, but certainly better than Captain Space Jesus and Dark World and arguably Iron Man 3.

I agree with your assessment of Awkwafina. She is about the most annoying person in Hollywood right now. Where the hell she came from, how she managed to squirrel her way into fame and when will her damn 15 minutes be up is a mystery for the ages. Even Jar Jar Binks was rolling his eyes. Movie did not need her brand of "comedy". Woulda been better without her.

I doubt the movie will spawn a second wave cuz they hit on most of the main characters out front. Put it out cuz you had to, cut bait and then forget it. Same can probably be said for the Eternals wave. Insomnia curing designs, monochromatic color schemes, lame BAF. I'm sure they had this in mind when they decided to knock out the entire crew in one wave and a few exclusives. Get em all outta the way, rip off the band-aid and start looking to the future. I still maintain the movie might be good, but nothing more than a one-off to set up future projects and explain plot holes from the past. 

I agree about the Eternals Legends wave. Even Hasbro had to sit back and think this is such an uninspiring group of figures. The best strategy therefore as you said: get them all out at once and move on to sure fire waves.

i did enjoy Wen Wu’s obvious amusement of Trevor usurping his 10 Rings army. That set up one of the best cameos in years. People can say what you want about Iron Man 3’s “Mandarin “ twist, Trevor is a great character. Waaaaay better than literally everything Marvel’s Katy did.