Hasbro Marvel Legends Live-Stream September 2021 Coverage

JayC

On 9/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, Gigantor said:

Black costume Spidey, Hammerhead & classic Shocker are sure buys for me. Never cared for the Clone nor armored Spidey. Where's classic Tarantula at! And why is Hasbro so against giving us classic 70s/80s  Falcon!??1117212744_Falcon.classicversion.thumb.jpg.5ae7ac2e67efb9488fcbc9a01870d658.jpg1169600496_Tarantula-AntonRodriquez.thumb.jpg.3c4e4a16717842d09c1309edde3ebe57.jpg

Agreed especially for Tarantula such an easy modification/repaint of an Iron Fist figure.

The Spider-Man wave looks extremely solid. However, I gotta say looking at the new Spider-Man mold with the Ben Reilly costume only enhances my dislike for it. He looks so chonky compared to the more lean physique of post-80s Spider-Man.

As for the Hobgoblin, I have to wonder why can't Hasbro just ape the Spider-Man Classics Hobgoblin. That one was the ultimate Hobgoblin headsculpt. Make the eyes bigger, just grab that Amazing Spider-Man #238 splash page and make it 3D.

I also feel a bit hurt by the blurb in the Lady Loki packaging. "Agent of Asgard" it says, but the figure doesn't even represent the Agent of Asgard version of Lady Loki, and it only helps remind me how much I wish Hasbro tackled Loki's modern design.

I like this Hobgoblin. I don't love him, but I like him. I feel basically the same way that I felt about the retro-carded Green Goblin and the Sandman: I get what they're going for with the more vibrant color apps to evoke the animated series. There's nothing wrong with that style, but they feel a little... flat, a little under-painted compared to other figures in the line. It's not a major problem (to me), just a little nitpick. I'm still excited to get this version of Hobgoblin in my collection.

That Hobgoblin doesn't make sense to me.  If they were going for an animated series look, they nailed it with the paint apps and then, almost intentionally it seems, went a different direction with the shredded cape and inaccurate portrait.  Why would you do that?  I would have been all in on a faithful animated series adaptation.  This split-the-difference offering is bizarre and the one figure in the wave I'm going to pass on.

Well, I looked up the series 2 trading cards online, and Baron Strucker does have a card, so I hope we get him. Also, another figure with a card in the series overlooked is Baron Mordo, a very classic Dr. Strange villian. It would be great to get him too. And Mephisto does not have his own single card in the series, but does appear on a hero versus villian card, against Silver Surfer or Dr. Strange I think. So, I'm going to say we won't get him for a number of other reasons too. Also, I realized the oversized retro Spiderman card figure could easily be the Kingpin in his black suit, hope not, but that would be easy and cheaper for Hasbro.

I know people are rightfully upset about the Hobgoblin (it's just meh for me as I have the previous version and have no interest in the animated figures) but I have seen people say that this wave sucks because of it being a straight repaint. This wave, need I remind people, has 2 100% new  sculpted and highly request figure in Armor and Shocker (both by the way are brand new costumes), and 3 repaints with new heads, 2 of which no one was expecting in Hammerhead and Ben Reilly. 

Yes bemoan hasbro for the Hobgoblin. But don't call it a bad wave because of it. 

Okay rant over, move along. lol 

On 9/13/2021 at 2:20 PM, Atlantis said:

For either the Green Goblin or the Hobgoblin, Hasbro Legends got the goblin glider too small. Toybiz did it better. 

I actually don't really mind the size of Green Goblin's Hasbro glider, but yes, Hobby's is way too small, it doesn't even have much room for his feet on it.

On 9/13/2021 at 4:12 PM, tarot said:

Yes bemoan hasbro for the Hobgoblin. But don't call it a bad wave because of it. 

Okay rant over, move along. lol 

Has anyone said this is a bad wave? I've just seen people scratching their heads at the decisions made for Hobgoblin, me included. Regardless, this wave is the best thing Hasbro has revealed all year.

On 9/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, leokearon said:

Mephisto is Series 1 and Strucker had a Marvel legends figure as a Variant.

You're correct on Strucker, but Mephisto is indeed in series 2. 

s2_123_f.jpg

https://arena.willparedes.com/marvelcards/series-2.html

I appreciate Ryan Ting putting up the whole listing of the series for posterity. 

On 9/13/2021 at 8:12 PM, watanabefan said:

I appreciate Ryan Ting putting up the whole listing of the series for posterity. 

That card of Mr. Fantastic just makes me want a stretchable torso all the more, and makes me wish even harder that the retro version came with some crazy Kirby-style anti-Blastaar bazooka or something instead of the spirit fingers. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Also where's the love for the Series 3 cards that had the connecting starscape background? I've got that whole set!

I would definitely be up for Tarantula and the bearded/masked/power belt Thor. Along with the future Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Eric Masterson as Thor, comic Odin, Wrecker, classic Nick Fury (not drown by Rob Liefeld), etc. The world of comic Thor is tragically underrepresented in general.

If anyone at Hasbro is reading this, I have no interest in animated figures. I just want classic comic figures. 

On 9/13/2021 at 5:12 PM, NotNamed said:

Spider-Man Symbiote: Yes, but why web shooter hands that don't work for the character?

Hobgoblin: Yes

Ben Reilly: Easy pass. Never cared for him, and this isn't even the look I remember.

Hammerhead: Think I only had 1 comic with him. Still want since it's a classic villain and I battled him in the recent Spider-Man game

Spider-Armor: On the one hand I have/read Web of Spider-Man 100. On the other, the eyes should be silver too. Leaning towards a yes.

Shocker: Yes, classic Shocker. I wish they had painted in his cross hatching like they did on the figure a couple years back, though.

Retro Falcon: On a retro card, but not the retro costume. Similar to the recent one. Pass

Retro Loki: I just picked up the previous Loki a couple months ago for $10-$12. A couple people mentioned if you missed out on it the first time around, but unless something's changed, it's still dirt cheap on the secondary market. Would be nice to see re-releases of figures you can't get without selling a kidney. They didn't even change what I read as the most common complaint: Hair flying out to the side. If it had included his other classic helmet (the non horned one that came out on a kid Loki figure recently), it would have been enough to make me double dip. Otherwise, no.

Retro Lady Loki: Odd to have a "retro" figure of a character that (correct me if I'm wrong) didn't exist until a few years ago. Looks like a nice figure, but a pass for me.

Skrull: Yes

Solid reasoning on the modern suits using the retro cards. It’s fine obviously but it would make more sense if Hasbro put you know.. retro suits in the retro packaging.

funny, this is the ONLY Ben Riley version I can recall.. admittedly never collected Spidey comics but was aware of the major changes in the Marvel Universe..

On 9/13/2021 at 4:02 PM, ransomz said:

No legs? I'd be up for Bushmaster or Bonebreaker, to flesh out the bad guy teams. 

Years back, Boss Fight Studios did some Medusa Gorgon figures (basically half human half snake) and they looked great...like to see Legends tackle that with Bushmaster.

I actually really like the Ben Reilly update here. Im convinced 2099 would’ve looked way better on that buck. I’m aware we’ve got 2 but I wonder if they think/thought about throwing Scarlet Spider on it with a hoodie overlay rather than the hoodie being the torso. That could be awesome.

A17AF0B0-A5D5-46B6-AA60-B1081B437C20.thumb.png.ce174f7818b4b085223c28850d504f0f.png

On 9/14/2021 at 12:46 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

I actually really like the Ben Reilly update here. Im convinced 2099 would’ve looked way better on that buck. I’m aware we’ve got 2 but I wonder if they think/thought about throwing Scarlet Spider on it with a hoodie overlay rather than the hoodie being the torso. That could be awesome.

A17AF0B0-A5D5-46B6-AA60-B1081B437C20.thumb.png.ce174f7818b4b085223c28850d504f0f.png

That looks more like the one I remember. But I realize now McHogan may have meant that the figure is Reilly as Spider-Man whereas this one is Reilly as the Scarlet Spider.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, watanabefan said:

You're correct on Strucker, but Mephisto is indeed in series 2. 

s2_123_f.jpg

His single character was in wave 1 and that's what I'm focusing on