Hasbro Marvel Legends Live-Stream September 2021 Coverage

JayC

On 9/15/2021 at 9:42 AM, RyanDaly said:

In addition to a female S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, I would love for Hasbro to give us a Dum Dum Dugan agent figure. Depending on how they want to show his beefiness, they could use the Doc Ock buck or the larger Hydra Enforcer body from the Hydra 2-Pack. 

I was thinking of good uses for that buck; Dum Dum would be a great use.  I also thought of Harry Leland and Zarrko, the Tomorrow Man.

Dum_Dum_Dugan.thumb.webp.4fd1fea554f60cb2b013230bacddf58e.webpHarry_Leland_(Earth-616)_from_X-Men_Phoenix_Force_Handbook_Vol_1_1.thumb.webp.b17ff1c2c8c675f0dc8e0c1ba200e2d5.webpArtur_Zarrko_(Earth-6297)_from_Marvel_Universe_Cards_Series_III_002.thumb.webp.30b86291bad05f1e3fdb164f97466bc0.webp

So, I used to like posting the Fry meme ("Shut up and take my money!") or a witty gag about missing mortgage payments/going bankrupt. But, that was in the good old days before pandemic & brexit, when the main bulk of Legends would be unleashed at SDCC, and a FEW retailer exclusives and/or repaint/wtf? waves or 2-packs would trickle out throughout the year.

I've got to be literally the only person on this board that is getting sick of the endless 'reveals' - which are now taking place weekly. Don't fancy the awful Eternals wave (7 figs + store exclusive Deluxe?) Well, that's cool, because this week is comic-based figures week!! Yay!! You can get 'stoked' about buying inferior versions of figures you already own, but at around +$5 to $15 (or +$30 - $50) if you're dumb enough to get an 'early release' from an ebay scalper) per figure more, and harder than ever to get hold off. Hammerhead! Shocker! Ben Reilly Spidey! Symbiote Spidey! Awesome!! Yep, figures that literally no-one has asked for, are now up for pre-order (so, go hammer that pre-order button at Hasbro Pulse, right now Pavlovian dogs - you heard the YouTube guy!!!) again on the good-cos-its-retro-cards, enhanced with pathetic paintwork and less articulation.

And the sweetest sucker punch of all - no baf part. If these figures are good enough to stand as a standard Marvel Legends BAF wave, why don't they? Oh, yeah....

Now, this isn't a whinge about Hasbro's choice of figure(s) and I wish no disrespect at all to people who DID like, or love, these latest batches, and the frequency of the reveals in 2021. There are a few Retro-carded figures here I really like and will be picking up (Binary, Tigra, Hercules,  Spider Armour Spider-Man).

And I don’t need anyone to say: "If you don't like the frequency with which Hasbro does this, or the figures they're pumping out, don't buy 'em, ya big ijiit!" Well, duh: I've done that already.

No more Star Wars Black Series or GI Joe for me. I already had a no-MCU rule, and I'm probably going to stretch that to Retro (2021 will be the first year I don't aim for 100% of comic-based Legends).

Last week, I went into my local Smyths (Toys) store. They have four full waves of Legends in abundance (Tri-Sentinel, Disney +, Xenmu and half of Ursa Major) many heavily discounted and going nowhere.  This is market saturation and it is NOT good. It's horrible distribution and logistics. And, whilst the increasingly red-faced Brexit-voting morons of the UK own about 70% of the blame here (and with really serious retail issues like food and medicines) but Hasbro Pulse is not working and supply chains are broken. I don't know how much better things are in the US or Canada (I'd love to know, though).

I don't know if it would even be possible to over-saturate US retail markets, but I'm fairly sure the majority of US/Canadian collectors are completely & utterly sick of retailer/Pulse exclusives. 

Moan over.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:42 AM, RyanDaly said:

In addition to a female S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, I would love for Hasbro to give us a Dum Dum Dugan agent figure. Depending on how they want to show his beefiness, they could use the Doc Ock buck or the larger Hydra Enforcer body from the Hydra 2-Pack. 

Hydra enforcer has a 6, pack. Something middle aged DumDum didn't. Doc Ock buck is the way to go for Him, Leland & the Thinker.

I can’t be the only person who thinks that at the very least Hasbro should keep the army builders in stock indefinitely. I went to try and get some Aim guys to go with MODOK a while ago and they were out of stock and still haven’t come back. I honestly dread the day they do army builders I really want, like Chitauri, Outriders or MCU Shield/Hydra agents.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:20 PM, JayC said:
Marvel-Legends-Sept-Live-Stream-13.jpg

They're using the same type of effects for Shocker that they did the last time out, but really, he needs something more appropriate. These modified kirby crackles just aren't how his blasts are normally depicted. Legends does add Effects to their "Needs Update" list.

On 9/15/2021 at 2:42 PM, RyanDaly said:

Totally with you about wanting female Shield Agents and a Dum Dum Dugan! Thought he would have looked good on the Grim Reaper Buck, but the Doc Ock Buck would look great too!

On 9/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, Atlantis said:

They're using the same type of effects for Shocker that they did the last time out, but really, he needs something more appropriate. These modified kirby crackles just aren't how his blasts are normally depicted. Legends does add Effects to their "Needs Update" list.

At least it isn't fireballs

On 9/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, LandoTucker said:

I've got to be literally the only person on this board that is getting sick of the endless 'reveals' - which are now taking place weekly. Don't fancy the awful Eternals wave (7 figs + store exclusive Deluxe?) Well, that's cool, because this week is comic-based figures week!! Yay!! You can get 'stoked' about buying inferior versions of figures you already own, but at around +$5 to $15 (or +$30 - $50) if you're dumb enough to get an 'early release' from an ebay scalper) per figure more, and harder than ever to get hold off. Hammerhead! Shocker! Ben Reilly Spidey! Symbiote Spidey! Awesome!! Yep, figures that literally no-one has asked for, are now up for pre-order (so, go hammer that pre-order button at Hasbro Pulse, right now Pavlovian dogs - you heard the YouTube guy!!!) again on the good-cos-its-retro-cards, enhanced with pathetic paintwork and less articulation.

Now, this isn't a whine about Hasbro's choice of figure(s) and I wish no disrespect at all to people who DID like, or love, these latest batches, and the frequency of the reveals in 2021.

If you don't intend to whine about the choice of figures and disrespect the people who do like them, you might want to rephrase some of your post. You don't like a lot of the new reveals or how frequently they come out? Okay, that's your feeling, cool. But I for one definitely have asked for a Hammerhead on this board and even suggested how they could do it. I've also heard lots of people asking for symbiote Spidey on the retro buck and a new classic Shocker and Hobgoblin. So when you say "literally no-one asked" for these figures... uh, I think you're wrong there. 

On 9/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, LandoTucker said:

So, I used to like posting the Fry meme ("Shut up and take my money!") or a witty gag about missing mortgage payments/going bankrupt. But, that was in the good old days before pandemic & brexit, when the main bulk of Legends would be unleashed at SDCC, and a FEW retailer exclusives and/or repaint/wtf? waves or 2-packs would trickle out throughout the year.

And the sweetest sucker punch of all - no baf part. If these figures are good enough to stand as a standard Marvel Legends BAF wave, why don't they? Oh, yeah....

Now, this isn't a whinge about Hasbro's choice of figure(s) and I wish no disrespect at all to people who DID like, or love, these latest batches, and the frequency of the reveals in 2021. There are a few Retro-carded figures here I really like and will be picking up (Binary, Tigra, Hercules,  Spider Armour Spider-Man).

And I don’t need anyone to say: "If you don't like the frequency with which Hasbro does this, or the figures they're pumping out, don't buy 'em, ya big ijiit!" Well, duh: I've done that already.

No more Star Wars Black Series or GI Joe for me. I already had a no-MCU rule, and I'm probably going to stretch that to Retro (2021 will be the first year I don't aim for 100% of comic-based Legends).

Last week, I went into my local Smyths (Toys) store. They have four full waves of Legends in abundance (Tri-Sentinel, Disney +, Xenmu and half of Ursa Major) many heavily discounted and going nowhere.  This is market saturation and it is NOT good. It's horrible distribution and logistics. And, whilst the increasingly red-faced Brexit-voting morons of the UK own about 70% of the blame here (and with really serious retail issues like food and medicines) but Hasbro Pulse is not working and supply chains are broken. I don't know how much better things are in the US or Canada (I'd love to know, though).

I don't know if it would even be possible to over-saturate US retail markets, but I'm fairly sure the majority of US/Canadian collectors are completely & utterly sick of retailer/Pulse exclusives. 

Moan over.

So, I am currently visiting the UK and see an overabundance of Marvel Legends in specialty shops (I am so jealous you have Forbidden Planet in London and Cardiff), and your UK Hasbropulse has a better selection too (you guys can buy stuff on the site that we in the US have to go to Walgreens to purchase as exclusives, which most of us can never find). As for your question about availability in the US, it really depends on geography. I live in a major metropolitan area (Seattle) and I haven't seen complete, or plentiful inventory of legends in about two years at any of the retailers.  I have started pre-ordering everything from Bigbadtoystore, or Hasbropulse to ensure I get everything I want for my collection. And I am also a little fatigued by the flow of product... not complaining, just saying it is costly keeping up with this crazy flow, and the Haslab Sentinel and Haslab Galactus were massive commitments.  I am glad they have alternated between comic and MCU (I don't collect MCU), and they have chosen a few BAFs that were not absolute must-haves for me, so I was able to cherry pick the figures I need from a wave.  

A general rule of the collecting community is never say "no one asked for this". You may not like the choices but I know plenty of people who love all these choice. While I agree some of the choices are not everyone's cup of tea, but don't speak for everybody. 

Respect that others may like what you don't. 

On 9/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, LandoTucker said:

Moan over.

In my area in the US I can't find any Marvel Legends anywhere(noting at Wal-Mart, Target or Wal-greens).   The only place to find them are at comic shows and second hand from scalpers.  

I’m definitely very happy with the fact that the Hasbro team seems to like doing Retro Spidey waves. Here’s hoping we get at least a few more in the next couple years. Here’s my wishlist for wave 3, based on the alternating villain/hero pattern.

Iron Spider (duh)

Grey Goblin (wanted this one for a while)

Future Foundation Spider-Man

Carrion (we need to complete Maximum Carnage)

Spider-Armor MK 2 (new mold)

Vulture (I need him on the card)

On 9/15/2021 at 3:50 PM, LandoTucker said:

Moan over.

You’re not really making much sense. So you’re angry because you can find them easily in the shops?!? You say that Smyths has too many legends to sell through. Think about it this way, have you seen any older figures recently (pre D+ wave)? Because mine had tons of all the recent waves Spider-Man, X Men, Venom…They all sold through, they aren’t there now. If there is too much coming out, stop! They aren’t selling solely to you. You don’t have to buy everything. They will keep producing stuff if there is a demand, and there is a demand. I have scaled back my toy purchases over the last few years, No Joe, SW, TF, so I just concentrate on what I can afford MOTUO and ML. I don’t miss any of the other stuff, especially SW, don’t know what the hell is going on there.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, Ironspider428 said:

I’m definitely very happy with the fact that the Hasbro team seems to like doing Retro Spidey waves. Here’s hoping we get at least a few more in the next couple years. Here’s my wishlist for wave 3, based on the alternating villain/hero pattern.

Iron Spider (duh)

Grey Goblin (wanted this one for a while)

Future Foundation Spider-Man

Carrion (we need to complete Maximum Carnage)

Spider-Armor MK 2 (new mold)

Vulture (I need him on the card)

My most desired Spider-Man character now is a brand new classic Lizard. The fact that they have taken previous build-a-figures Sandman, Kingpin, and likely Rhino and re-released them on retro cards--and I'm especially focusing on the Sandman because they didn't just repackage him, they overhauled him. That's what I want from the Lizard. Chuck the inhuman dinosaur look; save that for Sssstegron. I want the Lizard more like how Ditko, Romita, Kane, etc. drew him. Some of this is favoritism because Lizard is probably my favorite Spidey villain and the figure shown below was my first Spider-Man toy back in the '90s. 

spacer.png

Other Spidey villains I would like on the retro cards is a new version of Chameleon. In this case, I don't want him in the blue tactical suit that he wore in the animated series that they made a toy of in the '90s. I want him wearing the purple smoking jacket with the yellow ascot. I'm also all for a Tarantula figure that seems like a popular request these days. Bring him on. I also wouldn't mind another version of Doc Ock, but truthfully I only want new bendable tentacles.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Lizard needs an update something terrible for sure. Not only is the BAF a really specific niche design, I think it's also a bad figure, between its garbage knees and leg articulation and gappy head and neck. A classic replacement is a must have.

Conversely Rhino is nearly perfect- give him a new head sculpt to differentiate the release and he could easily get repacked on a Kingpin sized Retro card.

My picks for the rest of a retro Spidey Wave 3 would be Bombastic Bag-Man, Aunt May, Spot (with an alternate head that has Spidey's fist coming out of his face), Doc Ock (White Suit) and Alistair Smythe.

Great Spidey wave, Hasbro is defo wants all our money revealing a whole new wave + all the exclusive packs with the Pulse Con literally happenin' in a month...

For the future Spidey Retro line would love to see Rhino(guessing he's already coming after Dan's tease), Lizard, Doc Ock, Scorpion, Chameleon. And the battle damaged Spidey with the unmasked Peter head would be nice.