Hasbro Marvel Legends Live-Stream September 2021 Coverage

JayC

I assumed that before they released a female SHlELD agent troop builder we would get a Maria Hill figure, and THEN they would reuse the body for the trooper. 

Again, Dwight said they have four or five potential troop builders in the wings. I would not be surprised if a female SHlELD is one, and based on the Skrull selling out I bet a kree trooper is another.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, NotNamed said:

Missed the Skrull and Symbiote on Hasbro. Got Symbiote on BBTS, but of course they don't have Skrull. I think there's a hair-brained executive at Hasbro going "I love sell outs. Make sure it sells out!" And then minions figuring out how they can make everything sell out in some form or fashion. If it's available on Pulse and other retailers, make sure it sells out on Pulse. If it's only available on Pulse, make sure it sells out. If it's a partner exclusive, make sure it sells out to begin with, but it's okay to offer a little more later, as long as it SELLS OUT initially.

"Got to have a Sell Out!"

There's a little more nuance to the process than that.  First of all, it is *always* better for a toy manufacturer to under-product and sell out rather than be stuck with unsold stock.  Second, for anything non-exclusive, they are contractually obligated to only sell a certain number of the product themselves, as it undermines sales for other retailers.  Heck, even exclusives are sometimes outlined in broader contract terms; they want to make carrying their toys as appealing as possible for major retailers--it equates to FAR more than they could ever move independently and on the Pulse website.  

On 9/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, Gigantor said:

I logged on to Hasbro pulse at exactly 2 and while I was ordering my 5 Skrull grunts and then started payment process, they sold out! That's some BS right there. Will they be restocked again for future sales or am I SOL? 

Most likely.  I haven't seen a Pulse exclusive NOT restock at least once or twice.  Especially the 'builder' figures.

On 9/14/2021 at 9:28 PM, Virtualzach said:

Most likely.  I haven't seen a Pulse exclusive NOT restock at least once or twice.  Especially the 'builder' figures.

I hope so. I set my alarm but I was passed out due to my overnight shift so I completely missed out. I'll have to keep checking back every so often 

On 9/13/2021 at 4:02 PM, ransomz said:

No legs? I'd be up for Bushmaster or Bonebreaker, to flesh out the bad guy teams. 

They make a snide, sarcastic tone and comment about fans not liking the "no legs" on Cannonball, but they missed the point as to why people were upset. Designing the figure the way they did, severely limited the articulation. The blast effect was far too short to give the figure that "flying" look; buyers basically got half a figure. But Cannonball does have legs, whereas Bushmaster (if that's who they pick) does not. So fans aren't gonna be mad if a figure that isn't supposed to have legs in the first place, is made without legs.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:39 PM, Atlantis said:

Yes, a comic -accurate gold Mandroid is long overdue! They can do him up deluxe style or two-pack him like they did with Iron Monger and Stane, give him an old school Nick Fury.

I'm shocked they never did a repaint of that Mandroid BAF. I think I remember them having a custom AIM one in their big displays in their huge diorama at SDCC the year that came out.... 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:07 PM, Atlantis said:

They make a snide, sarcastic tone and comment about fans not liking the "no legs" on Cannonball, but they missed the point as to why people were upset. Designing the figure the way they did, severely limited the articulation. The blast effect was far too short to give the figure that "flying" look; buyers basically got half a figure. But Cannonball does have legs, whereas Bushmaster (if that's who they pick) does not. So fans aren't gonna be mad if a figure that isn't supposed to have legs in the first place, is made without legs.

I don’t think they missed the point. They were just having a little self-deprecating fun with an upcoming figure tease. They know why people didn’t like Cannonball, and the figure they’re teasing almost certainly isn’t supposed to have legs, or else they wouldn’t have made light of the whole situation. They’re not trying to piss people off.

On 9/14/2021 at 5:50 PM, Virtualzach said:

There's a little more nuance to the process than that.  First of all, it is *always* better for a toy manufacturer to under-product and sell out rather than be stuck with unsold stock.  Second, for anything non-exclusive, they are contractually obligated to only sell a certain number of the product themselves, as it undermines sales for other retailers.  Heck, even exclusives are sometimes outlined in broader contract terms; they want to make carrying their toys as appealing as possible for major retailers--it equates to FAR more than they could ever move independently and on the Pulse website.  

Yeah, but I'm not really looking at Legends in particular here. I'm accounting for that, as well as G. I. Joe Classified, and certain TF products. There seems to be a significant under-production of certain items to the extent it seems purposeful and contrary to maximizing profit. It's almost like it's calculated to significantly underproduce initially to an irrational extent that is only justified by intentional sell-outs because it's someone in upper management's "thing." I think many people overestimate the intelligence of some upper management quite often. Regardless, it's a somewhat joking estimate of what's going on, one of many possibilities. I wasn't being entirely serious.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:45 PM, NotNamed said:

Yeah, but I'm not really looking at Legends in particular here. I'm accounting for that, as well as G. I. Joe Classified, and certain TF products. There seems to be a significant under-production of certain items to the extent it seems purposeful and contrary to maximizing profit. It's almost like it's calculated to significantly underproduce initially to an irrational extent that is only justified by intentional sell-outs because it's someone in upper management's "thing." I think many people overestimate the intelligence of some upper management quite often. Regardless, it's a somewhat joking estimate of what's going on, one of many possibilities. I wasn't being entirely serious.

I’ve gone over this in more detail before, but it is calculated, not to reduce profit, but to reduce risk. Hasbro’s current business model puts 100% of the risk on retailers. Why are they under-printing? Because they’re printing to-order, and then only reprinting if they have enough volume to print to-order again. They solicit preorders from distributors and retail partners many, many months in advance of the public preorder, because they need numbers to give to the factories, so they ask retailers to commit to numbers way before those retailers are allowed to solicit their own preorders. If retailers underestimate demand for a product (often with few details to go on, ie. “Spider-Man wave, 7 figures + BAF”), then it gets under-printed. And by the time most of those retailers realize they’ve ordered too little, the turnaround time for the reprint is so far out, they assume everyone will already have the figures and/or the hype will have died down, so they continue to play it conservatively. End result? Hasbro assumes no risk, sells out of everything, lots of money is left on the table, and lots of consumers have a frustrating time finding what they want.

I’m a little curious if the limited numbers aren’t an attempt to get people to join or rejoin the Pulse member program. I mean, I was able to leisurely log in shortly after 1pm, get the figures I wanted with no hurry or stress. I was actually surprised that so many had trouble.

ive renewer my membership since year one and the only figure I couldn’t get was the SDCC Retro packaged Hulk.  but that was before they instituted the anti robot protocols.

the membership HAS been worth it to me and if Hasbro continues to offer highly anticipated figures as exclusives then I’m sure I’ll continue to renew. I’m sure the disappointment of missing out may jump their numbers as well..

So after my success over at pulse, I waited to see when EB Games/Gamestop would put the new Spider-Man Retro wave up, waited all day, had to go out for 1 hour, got back and the figures were up and whaddaya know the main figure I want the most is gone...who might that be Snobgoblin, stupid goblin.... oh and of course Black Suit and Ben were snagged up, apparently within less then 30 minutes, so much Boooo'ing you'd have though I lived in a ghost house 😉, I think this goblin is going to be another troublesome figure to find, Symbiote and Ben as well..no surprises here.

Got all my pre-orders in!! Whew hoo!! Im very thankful. Only went for Hammerhead, Shocker, Skrulls, Shield agents and the Excalibur pack

My ideas for the never before done figures are Speedball and Sleepwalker. I like Deathwatch's design but know very little about him. 

On 9/14/2021 at 11:00 PM, Benn said:

I’ve gone over this in more detail before, but it is calculated, not to reduce profit, but to reduce risk. Hasbro’s current business model puts 100% of the risk on retailers. Why are they under-printing? Because they’re printing to-order, and then only reprinting if they have enough volume to print to-order again. They solicit preorders from distributors and retail partners many, many months in advance of the public preorder, because they need numbers to give to the factories, so they ask retailers to commit to numbers way before those retailers are allowed to solicit their own preorders. If retailers underestimate demand for a product (often with few details to go on, ie. “Spider-Man wave, 7 figures + BAF”), then it gets under-printed. And by the time most of those retailers realize they’ve ordered too little, the turnaround time for the reprint is so far out, they assume everyone will already have the figures and/or the hype will have died down, so they continue to play it conservatively. End result? Hasbro assumes no risk, sells out of everything, lots of money is left on the table, and lots of consumers have a frustrating time finding what they want.

So how does that explain pulse exclusive troop builders that any normal person who has a day job that doesn’t afford them the opportunity to purchase toys until they get off work, because you know they are working, can’t preorder from them? Seriously their troop builders. People should inherently be able to order many and not have to worry about them being preorder sold out before they get off work. 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, LordVenger said:

"... People should inherently be able to order many and not have to worry about them being preorder sold out before they get off work..."

I hear your frustration. I'm fairly confident the troop builders will be re-stocked, but yeah, its a problem when Pulse runs out the very first day. 

Didnt the Legends team say their troop builder figures would be more or less evergreen? Maybe I'm thinking of another toyline.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:42 PM, RyanDaly said:

I assumed that before they released a female SHlELD agent troop builder we would get a Maria Hill figure, and THEN they would reuse the body for the trooper. 

Again, Dwight said they have four or five potential troop builders in the wings. I would not be surprised if a female SHlELD is one, and based on the Skrull selling out I bet a kree trooper is another.

I could see them going down the Nick Fury route. Packaging it as Maria Hill but is comes with a helmeted head and another character's head (someone like the Contessa maybe)

On 9/15/2021 at 12:36 AM, Atlantis said:

I hear your frustration. I'm fairly confident the troop builders will be re-stocked, but yeah, its a problem when Pulse runs out the very first day. 

Didnt the Legends team say their troop builder figures would be more or less evergreen? Maybe I'm thinking of another toyline.

Yea. I think I remember them saying something to that effect. Problem is none of their troop builders are in stock. And never have been readily available I might add. 

On 9/15/2021 at 4:13 AM, LordVenger said:

Yea. I think I remember them saying something to that effect. Problem is none of their troop builders are in stock. And never have been readily available I might add. 

This. The army builder idea is a good idea but the execution is often terrible 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:04 PM, McHogan said:

I’m a little curious if the limited numbers aren’t an attempt to get people to join or rejoin the Pulse member program. I mean, I was able to leisurely log in shortly after 1pm, get the figures I wanted with no hurry or stress. I was actually surprised that so many had trouble.

ive renewer my membership since year one and the only figure I couldn’t get was the SDCC Retro packaged Hulk.  but that was before they instituted the anti robot protocols.

the membership HAS been worth it to me and if Hasbro continues to offer highly anticipated figures as exclusives then I’m sure I’ll continue to renew. I’m sure the disappointment of missing out may jump their numbers as well..

There's almost no benefit to being "Pulse premium" or whatever they're calling it now, aside from the free shipping on single figures.  I'm a non-paying Pulse member and still get free shipping on $50 and above, like most other sites.  No problems today buying the Pulse "exclusive" Excalibur 3 pack.  The few times during that first year that I was able to order truly exclusive items (as in, when I was paying for membership), the items were sold out within mins so I said screw it.

Pulse is a decent place to buy if you don't mind waiting a month or two longer than other distributors.  In fact, there's really no reason at all going through BBTS unless you just want your stuff super fast and are willing to pay more for it.  My current purchasing method:  Pre-order everything I want through Pulse and then cancel individual figures if I find them cheaper/on sale faster than Pulse.  I never miss out on a figure that's hoarded that way and still minimize spending.  In most cases, I end up saving $20-40 on a set because it takes that long for Pulse to fulfill my order and I've already picked up a few figures $5-10 off by the time they ship.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:13 AM, LordVenger said:

I agree, the Hellfire Club Goons, and Hand Foot Soldiers went super fast, but the Aim Soldiers, and Hydra Agents were quite readily available - I bought them a couple different times (they just sold out recently). That being said, I pre-ordered 5 Skrull, and 3 Shield 2 packs the moment they were made available! 🙂