Marvel Legends Classic Dr. Strange Walmart Exclusive Figure Revealed

JayC

In fairness, Walmart exclusives have been more accessible than Target, in my opinion, and certainly better than Walgreens. The Venomized Captain America, Compound Hulk, John Walker Captain America, and Deadpool Cable are still available on the site. Infinity War Cap was available online for months. No, it probably won’t be found in the stores, but if you’re ok with ordering online, I’m optimistic this won’t be that hard to get.

I'm very happy to see this core hero is finally appearing in his classic outfit in the Hasbro line. While he may not be perfect, I'm sure we will get another version in a year or two in a retro wave. Especially since it seems so many posters don't have access to a Walmart. Over the years I have seen many of their exclusives end up for sale on Amazon also. While they are more money on Amazon, at least that is an option in addition to eBay. Now if we can start filling out Dr. Strange's cast of comic accurate character's that would be awesome. Let's have Clea, Wong, Baron Mordo, Umar, and maybe even a Modred the Mystic?!

On 9/20/2021 at 6:22 PM, GreenwithNV said:

In fairness, Walmart exclusives have been more accessible than Target, in my opinion, and certainly better than Walgreens. The Venomized Captain America, Compound Hulk, John Walker Captain America, and Deadpool Cable are still available on the site. Infinity War Cap was available online for months. No, it probably won’t be found in the stores, but if you’re ok with ordering online, I’m optimistic this won’t be that hard to get.

I agree, Walmart has made a vast improvement with their exclusives. Online at least. My Walker US Agent was the easiest I’ve gotten a Walmart exclusive. Granted my IW Cap was been delayed but that was Hasbro’s fault (according to the email I got delaying my order. Sure Walmart.. sure <eye roll>)

i haven't heard that Dr Strange is online only like Agent was so it really is up in the air when and if this guy is find in my local store. I haven’t found an Walmart exclusive IN STORE since the 80th Cap. As long as Walmart doesn’t sell out in seconds and I am able to get a pre-order in I’m sure ol Wally World will come through again.

This is great news, and the Doctor looks awesome. That hair is magnificent! Clearly inspired by the 70’s..

the sleeping head is a fun choice. Wish every figure had a nap time alternative head sculpt. Be great for the upcoming Death or Dr. Strange story too.. ( please don’t correct me, I know it’s not a sleeping head sculpt 😀)

boy that masked head just looks off with the neck being flesh toned. I get that this mask isn’t accurate for this costume but Select did one too. Guess it’s just a nice add on. At least tho, Selects version the collar of the cape hid the neck.

depending on the pic, the demon logo looks to stand out and other times it looks to be the same color as the rest of the tunic. Probably won’t get a really good look at it until,we have them in hand. Odd choice to make the two so similar in color.

so glad to get this classic version of Dr. Strange. Can’t wait 

So Dr. Strange has noticeable color errors in his outfit, along with a non-removable cloak (even though every other Legends Dr. Strange's cape could move).

Dormammu is revealed with blazing yellow eyes and mouth (which is how he's been shown since forever in the comics), but they're completely absent when the actual figure hits retail. Which of course,  just makes his head look like a big red ball of fire. No face.

Something's not right here...

On 9/21/2021 at 1:44 AM, Atlantis said:

So Dr. Strange has noticeable color errors in his outfit, along with a non-removable cloak (even though every other Legends Dr. Strange's cape could move).

Dormammu is revealed with blazing yellow eyes and mouth (which is how he's been shown since forever in the comics), but they're completely absent when the actual figure hits retail. Which of course,  just makes his head look like a big red ball of fire. No face.

Something's not right here...

Yea. Something not quite right. Eh

On 9/20/2021 at 10:03 PM, McHogan said:

depending on the pic, the demon logo looks to stand out and other times it looks to be the same color as the rest of the tunic. Probably won’t get a really good look at it until,we have them in hand. Odd choice to make the two so similar in color.

They're definitely two different tones, but not different enough. Sometimes I think Hasbro has these accurate color palettes when they do the digital rendering of figures but then when the paint is actually applied to the physical figure there's an amateurish mistake or the color is off and that results in Dormammu and Human Torch not having the right color flames, etc.

I voice my agreement that can be summarized as: Enthusiasm for the long-awaited classic Dr. Strange is tempered by Walmart exclusivity, rising price, and slightly off appearance.

The slightly off appearance refers to the lack of paint contrast in his outfit, a head sculpt that does not scream Dr. Strange to me, and an overall lack of dynamic appearance. I feel that the previous Dormammu Dr. Strange headsculpt looked more like Dr. Strange, looked more dynamic, and had a better paint on the cape with gold that went all around the  collar. The new one's face looks older, is a bit flabby, and his hair on the sides should have been shorter IMO.

In the end, the figure is good and everyone will get it because it's classic Dr. Strange but it seems slightly off.

DS.jpg

On 9/21/2021 at 11:51 AM, Sasquatch said:

The slightly off appearance refers to the lack of paint contrast in his outfit, a head sculpt that does not scream Dr. Strange to me, and an overall lack of dynamic appearance. I feel that the previous Dormammu Dr. Strange headsculpt looked more like Dr. Strange, looked more dynamic, and had a better paint on the cape with gold that went all around the  collar. The new one's face looks older, is a bit flabby, and his hair on the sides should have been shorter IMO.

I think most people's image of Doctor Strange has much shorter, closely-cropped hair. That's how Ditko drew him and that's how most artists have depicted him since the 1980s. But in between was the crazy 1970s era when Frank Brunner, P. Craig Russell, and Gene Colan (for the second time) drew him and they gave him longer, shaggier '70s hair. This version of the Doc is channelling the '70s Strange.

spacer.png

On 9/21/2021 at 12:18 PM, RyanDaly said:

I think most people's image of Doctor Strange has much shorter, closely-cropped hair. That's how Ditko drew him and that's how most artists have depicted him since the 1980s. But in between was the crazy 1970s era when Frank Brunner, P. Craig Russell, and Gene Colan (for the second time) drew him and they gave him longer, shaggier '70s hair. This version of the Doc is channelling the '70s Strange.

spacer.png

If the headsculpt looked like that image, I would have been more happy. The one they gave us does not look toned, is kind of fat faced.

Dr. Strange is toned in my eyes, with pronounced cheekbones. I saw the Diamond Select Gallery version of him and that looks like to Dr. Strange to me. And it is a more dynamic looking sculpt.

Anyway, overall it's a good figure and I plan to try to get him.

DS2.jpg

Diamond.jpg

I'm there for it, but that better be a SOFT-plastic skirt. With brain-fart decisions with figures, making the stuff they KNOW everyone wants exclusive, making everything else impossible to find, and raising the prices on what little you CAN find, Hasbro is seriously walking the razor's edge with me . . . and they are seriously off balance.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:05 AM, tarot said:

I love how this one set can create 3 distinct (for the most part) looks for the Sorcerer Supreme, Classic, Masked and Empirikul arc.

It's because he is an a-lister that he is an exclusive. Stores want the big names, they don't want a e-list character like the Spot. They know they A-listers will sell. 

True. I guess a better example i could've used would be like a variant version of Dr strange. This seems more like a definitive version.

As boog said it's unfortunate that cape is not removable, logo could have been brighter and double jointed elbows would have been better but other than that it's very well done figure that we waited for way too long, only fact that sucks horribly is figure being walmart exclusive, why Hasbro couldn't give some movie version or variant to Walmart, does Walmart have such big knowledge about comic book figures that it requested comic book version? Or is it marketing team doing this knowing that fans will go crazy hunting for that?

On 9/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, SpiderS said:

As boog said it's unfortunate that cape is not removable, logo could have been brighter and double jointed elbows would have been better but other than that it's very well done figure that we waited for way too long, only fact that sucks horribly is figure being walmart exclusive, why Hasbro couldn't give some movie version or variant to Walmart, does Walmart have such big knowledge about comic book figures that it requested comic book version? Or is it marketing team doing this knowing that fans will go crazy hunting for that?

Well I think Wal-Mart requests exclusive figures and Hasbro accommodates them with what they think will sell.

With a movie on the horizon it may have been a request but who knows other than the insiders.

REMEMBER as bad as Wal-Mart is at stocking Legends, it's still the #1 Retailer in the states. It sells more toys than any other store. 

I hate it's an exclusive but Im thankful it was made.