Build a Hawkeye Wave

RyanDaly

With the MCU Clint Barton bound to retire this Christmas in the Disney+ HAWKEYE series, I wanted to give some love to one of my favorite Marvel characters by making an entire wave for him. Noticeably absent from this wave is Kate Bishop, or any more modern characters. I tried to focus on the Avenging Archer's first 20 years or so in the comics. 

I really tried to include Trick Shot in this wave, but I couldn't decide between the original with his more stocky, almost paunchy build, or Clint's brother Barney. Ultimately, I didn't pick either one, and decided to add more Death-Throws into the wave. 

Hawkeye (Clint Barton) - like the vintage wave one but repainted with brighter blues and non-metallic purple, redo his head to give his mask pointier angles. No BAF piece to accommodate more accessories: two bows, one neutral and one loaded/drawn, a quiver, two loose arrows, or if that's a problem an interchangeable hand holding the arrows between his fingers; two heads, one neutral/smirking and one with gritted teeth.

spacer.png

Mockingbird - classic Bobbi Morse. As many have suggested, her loose shirt sleeves could be taken from Lady Deathstrike with he forearms/hands.

spacer.png

Black Widow - as much as I love ladies in fishnets, this was a really poorly conceived costume for a Silver Age superhero. Would've worked fine if Nat was created in the 1940s, but as an Avenger, god no, this is horrible! Nevertheless, it would be cool to acknowledge this part of Black Widow's history and immortalize it in plastic.

spacer.png

Swordsman - I still have trouble reconciling the idea that he's an Avenger. He's such a good villain--fun, flashy, faux-French. And that costume is great! He should be locked in combat with Hawkeye, Black Knight, or Captain America. For accessories, he could have two swords, one normal and one sort-of glowing with energy.

spacer.png

Crossfire - pretty basic repaint of existing bodies with new head. Accessories: handgun fits in hip holster, sniper rifle

spacer.png

Ringleader - Like with Crossfire, basic buck repainted. Hardest part will be capturing his ring accessories, which could be connected, or give him interchangeable hands that appear to be holding/tossing the rings.

spacer.png

Oddball - love the crazy paint and colors on this guy. Because his balls--er, that is his particular thrown objects are so small, they would need to be an effect that captures their motion, like Bullseye's darts or Gambit's cards. 

spacer.png

Build-a-Figure: Goliath (Clint Barton) - I'm fine if he's anywhere in that 10.5 to 12 inches range.

spacer.png

Thoughts? Would this wave appeal to anyone besides me? Who would you want to see if Hawkeye got his (or her) own wave?

Excellent idea and Hawkeye is well deserving of a wave. 

I love the ideas for Hawkeye in classic colors. With unmasked head

Mockingbird in that oitfit is her iconic one for me. Her long pants would be a close 2nd but this version is my #1 want.

ive got enough Widows.. maybe I’d slip in Deathbird here

Swordsman: another excellent choice, long overdue

Crossfire: perfect choice for his early years ( maybe Graviton!)

I’m not familiar with the Ringleader or Oddball, outside of their appearance in Hawkeyes first limited series. I may drop in Safari Jacket Wonderman and the Shroud here for their WCA limited series ties.

BAF: Barton Goliath is perfect and maybe the only way this suit could get made.

On 9/26/2021 at 11:37 PM, McHogan said:

I’m not familiar with the Ringleader or Oddball, outside of their appearance in Hawkeyes first limited series. I may drop in Safari Jacket Wonderman and the Shroud here for their WCA limited series ties.

That miniseries was the main impetus for using them. I think those two are the most interesting visually of the five Death-Throws characters. They also appeared in a good Captain America story that guest-starred Hawkeye and Mockingbird, so I tend to think of them as Hawkeye villains, even that they're sort of marksmen at projectile objects.  

On 9/26/2021 at 11:37 PM, McHogan said:

Excellent idea and Hawkeye is well deserving of a wave. 

I love the ideas for Hawkeye in classic colors. With unmasked head

Mockingbird in that oitfit is her iconic one for me. Her long pants would be a close 2nd but this version is my #1 want.

ive got enough Widows.. maybe I’d slip in Deathbird here

Swordsman: another excellent choice, long overdue

Crossfire: perfect choice for his early years ( maybe Graviton!)

BAF: Barton Goliath is perfect and maybe the only way this suit could get made.

97C141AC-2B3B-4790-B850-00268A32F545.jpeg

36E78817-93AB-4E6D-B219-40E7654D91CD.jpeg

DE46D88E-EB32-4E2C-A507-F6F2658D2C93.jpeg

EE3818F5-C9D5-4DD7-8FBB-09ABEA2613F6.gif

At this point, just swap out Swordsman for Master Pandemonium and Black Widow for Professor Pym and you've got a West Coast Avengers wave. 😎

On 9/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, RyanDaly said:

With the MCU Clint Barton bound to retire this Christmas in the Disney+ HAWKEYE series, I wanted to give some love to one of my favorite Marvel characters by making an entire wave for him. Noticeably absent from this wave is Kate Bishop, or any more modern characters. I tried to focus on the Avenging Archer's first 20 years or so in the comics. 

I really tried to include Trick Shot in this wave, but I couldn't decide between the original with his more stocky, almost paunchy build, or Clint's brother Barney. Ultimately, I didn't pick either one, and decided to add more Death-Throws into the wave. 

Hawkeye (Clint Barton) - like the vintage wave one but repainted with brighter blues and non-metallic purple, redo his head to give his mask pointier angles. No BAF piece to accommodate more accessories: two bows, one neutral and one loaded/drawn, a quiver, two loose arrows, or if that's a problem an interchangeable hand holding the arrows between his fingers; two heads, one neutral/smirking and one with gritted teeth.

spacer.png

Mockingbird - classic Bobbi Morse. As many have suggested, her loose shirt sleeves could be taken from Lady Deathstrike with he forearms/hands.

spacer.png

Black Widow - as much as I love ladies in fishnets, this was a really poorly conceived costume for a Silver Age superhero. Would've worked fine if Nat was created in the 1940s, but as an Avenger, god no, this is horrible! Nevertheless, it would be cool to acknowledge this part of Black Widow's history and immortalize it in plastic.

spacer.png

Swordsman - I still have trouble reconciling the idea that he's an Avenger. He's such a good villain--fun, flashy, faux-French. And that costume is great! He should be locked in combat with Hawkeye, Black Knight, or Captain America. For accessories, he could have two swords, one normal and one sort-of glowing with energy.

spacer.png

Crossfire - pretty basic repaint of existing bodies with new head. Accessories: handgun fits in hip holster, sniper rifle

spacer.png

Ringleader - Like with Crossfire, basic buck repainted. Hardest part will be capturing his ring accessories, which could be connected, or give him interchangeable hands that appear to be holding/tossing the rings.

spacer.png

Oddball - love the crazy paint and colors on this guy. Because his balls--er, that is his particular thrown objects are so small, they would need to be an effect that captures their motion, like Bullseye's darts or Gambit's cards. 

spacer.png

Build-a-Figure: Goliath (Clint Barton) - I'm fine if he's anywhere in that 10.5 to 12 inches range.

spacer.png

Thoughts? Would this wave appeal to anyone besides me? Who would you want to see if Hawkeye got his (or her) own wave?

Yeah I would never be the guy who says, yeah Hawkeye he needs a dedicated wave, but this looks about right, I would however not be interested in a FA Black Widow, I wasn't a fan of that look, would I buy it sure (because it's a comic lady), I also am totally cool with the Mockingbird we have, I never really liked that sleevy look. I'd say out of this entire wave the figures I'd really be stoked about are Crossfire and Swordsman.

in terms of me making a Hawkeye wave, I think I got nothing.... hahaha, you did it.

I don't think we will get a dedicated Hawkeye wave. not impossible but it's more then likely his series will be just a couple of figures in the next D+ wave. that being said

1. Hawkeye - West Coast Avengers
  2. Kate Bishop - First Young Avengers
  3. Echo - Classic
  4. Ronin - comes with Clint head and the Echo Head can fit on it as well
  5. Swordsman - in many ways he is Hawkeye Arch so he has to be in the wave
  6. Shroud - repaint of the Cloak figure with new head
  7. Speed - just because we can and they really need to use the teen body more.
  8. BAF: Griffin - beside the Clint Barton figure you mentioned Griffin would also fit perfectly into this.

694356._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg5084448-3660.jpgEcho-Marvel-Comics-Ronin-Maya-Lopez-Dare2310795-swordsman.jpg1400628-shroud.jpgSpeed-Marvel-Comics-Young-Avengers-Tommy523458-griffin.jpg

On 9/27/2021 at 4:38 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I would however not be interested in a FA Black Widow, I wasn't a fan of that look, would I buy it sure (because it's a comic lady),

Oh, it's a terrible look for Black Widow. She looks like a Golden Age Green Lantern villain, would've fit perfectly back then. But not an Avenger. Still, it's part of her history and it's part of Hawkeye's, which is why I picked it.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:51 PM, RyanDaly said:

Oh, it's a terrible look for Black Widow. She looks like a Golden Age Green Lantern villain, would've fit perfectly back then. But not an Avenger. Still, it's part of her history and it's part of Hawkeye's, which is why I picked it.

Yeah man, I agree it's a solid addition to the wave you created, I just think that look is bad, but hey so do most I'd say, but like I said I'd likely still buy it.

• 2 weeks later...