Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Wave Captain America Figure Revealed With Three More To Come

JayC

On 10/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, Hogun said:

That head looks like a slight repaint of the Wyatt Russell headsculpt. I love how Toybiz threw in Toad as part of their first wave of Legends along with A-listers. It could have been anyone, but they chose Toad.

A bit of a fun fact. I'm pretty sure that Toad is a leftover from the X-Mem movie 2 packs they made just before Marvel Legends was created. Which is why his articulation is low compared to others 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:55 AM, JayC said:

The figure is gonna retail for $31.99.

That's a hard bullet to bite, especially since BBTS charges $2 more per Legend. Still better than the $80+ the 80th Cap is going for now, I suppose. Definitely sticking to just him and Toad now though, Toad I may even see about holding off on for a Retro card release or something, I have to imagine they'll put him out again at some point. 

This looks lovely, what a damn nice looking figure, I like that it looks more like an updated version of the Vintage Cap, which is my fav cap, I think I'll get this to replace that one, if this is setting the stage for the new anniversary figures I'm excited about what we will see next.

On 10/4/2021 at 12:40 PM, Jormungand said:

That's true, he was. The very 'robotic' looking Ultron from the TB Legendary Riders Wave was also from a pre-Legends wave based on the Avengers - Thor, Loki, Scarlet Witch and him.

I believe the ToyBiz Legends Ultron was actually supposed to be based on his appearance from the Ultimate Alliance video game, which was in development at the time. At least before they gave him a new head due to fan outcry. But if you look at the original version with the game model, it's a dead ringer. 

5Ww4iNn7RfBSAKU9mCF6-I2RK4KJmniGtSD7-u0Q

9ef55366fe8fee7b6185bb70362a5a5018e2e582

On 10/4/2021 at 6:24 PM, RoMe00150 said:

A bit of a fun fact. I'm pretty sure that Toad is a leftover from the X-Mem movie 2 packs they made just before Marvel Legends was created. Which is why his articulation is low compared to others 

that is a fact. Initially it was supposed to be Thor but they couldn't finish him in time.

On 10/4/2021 at 11:13 AM, icematta said:

Perfection, only down are the three holes in the shield, but you need them for the effects...

Yes. I was thinking he should have come with a second shield, but then I've got enough Cap figures and can easily use one of those if need be.

I'm a bit miffed at the price increase. The figure itself isn't pinless nor does it have new articulation, so I'm not sure what the justification is here. Yes the special effects are great but that wouldn't account for it. 

On 10/4/2021 at 8:23 AM, ADour said:

I prefer the darker blue and the headsculpt of the original release, I can't help but recall the 90s movie Captain America when I see this new headsculpt. However, I can't deny this looks like an excellent alternative, especially since I've heard so many people having trouble to find the 80 Years Cap. It also comes with some neat accessories, but the holey shield is a bit questionable.

Can't wait to see what will Hasbro do for Iron Man, especially since they just released a brightly-colored repaint of the 80 Years figure. Maybe the colors will be a bit less saturated?

I almost made the same comment about the head sculpt looking like the 90's movie!  Love this new one (for me this is the most perfect Cap ever).

On 10/4/2021 at 8:52 PM, Psychosomatic said:

I remember Toad not actually being designed for this line, but I didn't think it was for an X-Men wave though. JAY C can you remember the story on Toad being in Wave 1?

It was during the time for the first X-men movie. Toybiz had planned to make 2-pack with one figure being the Movie version and another being the comic version. 2 were planned, one was toad and the other was Wolverine, with that Wolverine comic figure being put into series 3. 

Like I said before they couldn't finish Thor so they just slotted in Toad. 

This thing looks fantastic! I wasnt as big a fan of the 80th cap as I really didnt like the head that much and the darker blue wasnt doing much for me. I like this shade alot more and that headsculpt is really damn nice. Not a fan of the holes in the shield and the price hike but it looks like THE definitive cap from now on. 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, Atlantis said:

I'm a bit miffed at the price increase. The figure itself isn't pinless nor does it have new articulation, so I'm not sure what the justification is here. Yes the special effects are great but that wouldn't account for it. 

Maybe its the marvel legends display stand logo dealy.. but also it doesnt come with a baf part either. Remember they are charging more for less with their retro lines too. I hate the price increase as well when you dont really see any real results from having to pay more but i assumed this was going to be at the 30$ due to having more than 2 accessories and no baf XD. 

On 10/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

If this figure had the classic black detailing to the mask, it would be perfect. As is, it'll be a fantastic replacement for my 80th Cap.

AGREED!  I am also surprised they didn't get clever and include Skrull versions of heads (for this and many others)  - easy way to ensure they move product because people buy multiples.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:18 PM, tarot said:

It was during the time for the first X-men movie. Toybiz had planned to make 2-pack with one figure being the Movie version and another being the comic version. 2 were planned, one was toad and the other was Wolverine, with that Wolverine comic figure being put into series 3. 

Like I said before they couldn't finish Thor so they just slotted in Toad. 

Thanks for the clarification! Man, I had just started collecting 5 years before Marvel Legends began, so I remember when they were first announced... amazing to see how far they have come. 

This really reminds me of classic Mezco Cap. I’m not super fan of bright colors but head sculpt is great, body is pretty much perfect. But I still love and will stick with my FO Cap Body with ML1 headsculpt that combo is just ultimate Cap for me.  As is DC direct Hush Batman Head on Mattel DC Superheroes grey and black Batman body. 

Yessss, finally!!
The 80yr release was nothing but a tease, for me, so this is lovey to see.  That bumps classic Zemo to my #1 spot. And makes me want classic Falcon even more now than ever before.

My only “gripe” is where da USA flag at?? 

anyway, looking forward to seeing the others. I’ve yet to acquire any  Iron Man figures since his 80yr mold was introduced. Waiting for the right one(s).

I am finding the color pallet, especially the blue, more appealing than the darker 80th version. I like having an unmasked Steve Rogers head also. Some of the action/energy effects have me a little puzzled... like it that suppose to be 'electricity' all over his shield, like if Thor or Storm attacked him? And what are you suppose to do with those yellow effects exactly? Overall, a very nice figure.

On 10/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, Atlantis said:

This is a deluxe figure, just like Archangel, War Machine, the brown jacket Black Widow, etc. Cap's got the same number of accessories as War Machine came with, plus the display background and stand. Think of him just like those figures that cost $29.99 before this year's price increase.

I know a lot of people were requesting the 80th Anniversary Cap with a lighter blue, so now they can have him. He is missing the black shading on his mask for a true classic look though. 

I do feel the 80th version looks better and also prefer the 80th headsculpt as well. Despite that, I assume I'll try to get this new one as well. I do think the bigger shield (I believe) is an improvement. The permanent holes isn't ideal so I guess I'll stick the bullet ricochet effects there.