Jump to content

Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Wave Captain America Figure Revealed With Three More To Come


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/5/2021 at 10:10 AM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Wrong, the answer is inflation.

Don't give me that. They charged $25 for the 80th figures when a regular release was $20. The price increase for inflation was $3 so shouldn't this be $28, not $31? This has a few more accessories, a piece of cardboard, a tiny base and no baf part. Inflation has jack to do with it. Hasbro's pricing has always been up in the air. It's the same for retro carded figures that come with barely anything yet still cost the same amount as a standard release. Hell, the con exclusive Venom was $31 and he comes with less than this. Was that inflation too? A little extra paint and exclusivity doesn't constitute that price.  They want profit and to get the amount they need/want they're going to up that charge. I find it very interesting when a figure with this level of fan demand is this much more expensive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 9:39 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Don't give me that. They charged $25 for the 80th figures when a regular release was $20. The price increase for inflation was $3 so shouldn't this be $28, not $31? This has a few more accessories, a piece of cardboard, a tiny base and no baf part. Inflation has jack to do with it. Hasbro's pricing has always been up in the air. It's the same for retro carded figures that come with barely anything yet still cost the same amount as a standard release. Hell, the con exclusive Venom was $31 and he comes with less than this. Was that inflation too? A little extra paint and exclusivity doesn't constitute that price.  They want profit and to get the amount they need/want they're going to up that charge. I find it very interesting when a figure with this level of fan demand is this much more expensive.

Same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anyone remembers that $5 coupon survey from Hasbro, the 23$ msrp was planned. The whole point of that survey was “would you pay this much more if we did this or that?”

 Of course the entire reason isnt solely inflation but wow I didn’t know there is a one-time-only inflation price, that’s amazing

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 6:39 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

"...Don't give me that. They charged $25 for the 80th figures when a regular release was $20. The price increase for inflation was $3 so shouldn't this be $28, not $31? This has a few more accessories, a piece of cardboard, a tiny base and no baf part. Inflation has jack to do with it....Hell, the con exclusive Venom was $31 and he comes with less than this. Was that inflation too? A little extra paint and exclusivity doesn't constitute that price..."

Yes. As I said before the figure isn't pinless, in fact there's no improved articulation here at all. Alt head, hands, a few special effects, which has been about the standard load out now for Legends. What I see here is an added postcard. Great figure, but I'm not seeing the price hike justification.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, Chunkylover said:

Oh. Thanks. Didn't watch it, obviously.

Does that detract from the shield? I'm kind of surprised they went that route.

Personally, I do think it detracts since it's impossible to pose the figure as it is without being forced to make an action pose. I know there are work-arounds like positioning the shield in a way the holes are obstructed from view, but still...

I think it would have been wise for Hasbro to include an alternate pristine shield, but I bet they're betting that most people who will buy this figure will have some other shield from some other Captain America release hanging around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

If anyone remembers that $5 coupon survey from Hasbro, the 23$ msrp was planned. The whole point of that survey was “would you pay this much more if we did this or that?”

 Of course the entire reason isnt solely inflation but wow I didn’t know there is a one-time-only inflation price, that’s amazing

 

The problem with that survey was the higher price tag was for Deluxe figures, not just standard releases, and it was $30. There is nothing deluxe here. Black Widow was a deluxe that was $30 at release and includes multiple hands, weapons, blast effects, a big explosion effect and a fricking plastic stand with a base. So not only are they giving us less but they're charging more.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:04 PM, Atlantis said:

Yes. As I said before the figure isn't pinless, in fact there's no improved articulation here at all. Alt head, hands, a few special effects, which has been about the standard load out now for Legends. What I see here is an added postcard. Great figure, but I'm not seeing the price hike justification.

I'm right with you. They haven't put any extra effort in here aside from the head sculpts and the postcard which I would almost bet money is somehow part of the packaging. There's nothing here to justify an extra $8 worth. Despite my grumbling I plan on getting it, but it's people like me they know they can exploit. They're doing this on purpose and not even trying to justify it. And I still can't get over the fact they finally give us an appropriate shield and they put holes in it. I just don't get this company's decisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 1:00 PM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

"...There is nothing deluxe here. Black Widow was a deluxe that was $30 at release and includes multiple hands, weapons, blast effects, a big explosion effect and a fricking plastic stand with a base. So not only are they giving us less but they're charging more....They're doing this on purpose and not even trying to justify it. And I still can't get over the fact they finally give us an appropriate shield and they put holes in it. I just don't get this company's decisions..."

I have long given up trying to figure these people out! I mean, compare what they did on Maverick, a really complicated ( and let's face it, not as well known character as others) figure, to Quicksilver, a fairly simple one. Maverick is straight outta comics correct.  Pick up the Quicksilver head, and you have no idea who that's supposed to be unless its on the body, and they even got that wrong, color wise. Why, why why why??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 5:25 PM, Atlantis said:

I have long given up trying to figure these people out! I mean, compare what they did on Maverick, a really complicated ( and let's face it, not as well known character as others) figure, to Quicksilver, a fairly simple one. Maverick is straight outta comics correct.  Pick up the Quicksilver head, and you have no idea who that's supposed to be unless its on the body, and they even got that wrong, color wise. Why, why why why??

Haha! That's a really good point. Quicksilver is literally Namors head slapped on another body. And the retro Vision isn't much better than the Toybiz. How hard can it be. They're mad, absolutely mad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 1:07 PM, Gigantor said:

Instead of a painted backboard & stand, Hasbro should have bypassed that & included a normal non hole shield. I guess that made too much sense to do.

Yeah, but then they wouldn't be able to sell that non-hole shield somewhere down the line, probably with this same figure, but with a dumbed down deco and less accessories.

BOOM!!! Triple-Dip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do love this Cap but, wish and hope these all come with actual dioramas instead of cardboard background, but I'll take the backgrounds, as something is something. I would be curious to see them redo Iron-man and Hulk. And of course Toad- we are finally getting a Toad- what a relief. Hope they come out soon for previews. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tell ya, when I saw the background I was hoping for a WWII Cap....I hope hope hope hope we're gonna get a Golden Age line up soon. At least, FA Cap, Human Torch, Sub-Mariner and Bucky. Ye gods did they jack up that first Bucky. I mean it was freakishly bad, almost as bad as the nightmares Toybiz tried to pass off as Scarlet Witch and Rogue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 5:00 PM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

There is nothing deluxe here. Black Widow was a deluxe that was $30 at release and includes multiple hands, weapons, blast effects, a big explosion effect and a fricking plastic stand with a base. So not only are they giving us less but they're charging more.

Black Widow came with 

  • two pair of extra interchangeable hands
  • two pistols
  • two hook tools/weaposn
  • two widow sting SFX
  • two bullet contact SFX for stand
  • one three-bullet contact SFX for stand
  • one small explosion SFX for stand
  • one big explosion SFX for stand
  • one display stand

Captain America comes with

  • two pair of extra interchangeable hands
  • one extra unmasked head
  • one mask/collar
  • one shield
  • one hard-contact SFX for the shield
  • one energy SFX for the shield
  • three bullet contact SFX for the shield
  • one display stand with background diorama

Yes, Black Widow had a few more SFX pieces, but if you want to split hairs, most of her accessories were designed to port with her transparent display base and don't interact with the actual figure, so they could be transported to any figure. Captain America's accessories, on the other hand, interact specifically with his figure and main accessory (the shield). All told, they come with almost the same number of extra bits and pieces (this Cap comes with more than War Machine), and yes Cap is "less for more" but the prices have gone up across the board. That's the game. Don't say there's nothing deluxe about him when that's exactly what he is based on the number of extra accessories and the diorama.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, RyanDaly said:

Black Widow came with 

  • two pair of extra interchangeable hands
  • two pistols
  • two hook tools/weaposn
  • two widow sting SFX
  • two bullet contact SFX for stand
  • one three-bullet contact SFX for stand
  • one small explosion SFX for stand
  • one big explosion SFX for stand
  • one display stand

Captain America comes with

  • two pair of extra interchangeable hands
  • one extra unmasked head
  • one mask/collar
  • one shield
  • one hard-contact SFX for the shield
  • one energy SFX for the shield
  • three bullet contact SFX for the shield
  • one display stand with background diorama

Yes, Black Widow had a few more SFX pieces, but if you want to split hairs, most of her accessories were designed to port with her transparent display base and don't interact with the actual figure, so they could be transported to any figure. Captain America's accessories, on the other hand, interact specifically with his figure and main accessory (the shield). All told, they come with almost the same number of extra bits and pieces (this Cap comes with more than War Machine), and yes Cap is "less for more" but the prices have gone up across the board. That's the game. Don't say there's nothing deluxe about him when that's exactly what he is based on the number of extra accessories and the diorama.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I still say that base, at least the cardboard, is going to be part of the packaging. As for the nuts and bolts of who has more I still see it as more plastic overall with Widow and that's what drives the price home for me.

 

On 10/5/2021 at 7:18 PM, NotNamed said:

I think the point is the difference in "extras." We're essentially getting charged for a piece of cardboard and energy crackles no one wants.

That's exactly my thinking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 6:18 PM, NotNamed said:

I think the point is the difference in "extras." We're essentially getting charged for a piece of cardboard and energy crackles no one wants.

And figure stand, no one asked for any of those 3 items. An alternate undamaged shield was what they should've included.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think is cool they tried something different, come on, how many Captain Americas do you have? all of them are in front line showing the shield? Personally I have my Commander Rogers with the shield in the back so I can swap around shields. If its your first Captain America in 20 years, then yeah may suck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/5/2021 at 3:12 PM, RyanDaly said:

".....Yes, Black Widow had a few more SFX pieces, but if you want to split hairs, most of her accessories were designed to port with her transparent display base and don't interact with the actual figure, so they could be transported to any figure...."

"...they come with almost the same number of extra bits and pieces (this Cap comes with more than War Machine)..."

Widow's transparent base that can be used with any figure is actually a decent reason for a higher price. What's Cap's post card gonna do? Come now. That is a laughable excuse of a diorama. And you cannot compare this Cap "deluxe" to War Machine; War Machine at least has pinless tech. They could've given this figure butterfly joints or improved articulation (not that what they have is bad, it just doesn't justify the markup). I like what they did with the shield, but adding one without the effects would've been a better move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks sad to me that a "tribute" figure costs at least double of the original price (as far as I remember) and comes with paper backgrounds instead of plastic dioramas as the old ones. Besides that, I even liked the unmasked new head and i dont see the holes in the shield as a big problem, as i have other Caps shields and kind of liked this new bullet effects, although I think the holes could have been avoided using magnets to place the effects or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2021 at 1:22 AM, Cyke82 said:

Looks sad to me that a "tribute" figure costs at least double of the original price (as far as I remember) and comes with paper backgrounds instead of plastic dioramas as the old ones.

It's quadruple the price, and--even after adjusting for inflation--still close to triple. They were $8 originally, which would be about $12.16 in today's dollars. That said, I think people aren't really appreciating just how out of control the cost of shipping has gotten over the last decade or so, and especially over the last two years. As an online retailer, it's literally impossible to turn a profit on Marvel Legends unless you do some combination of marking them up above MSRP or charging the customer for actual shipping costs. And shipping from retailer to customer isn't the only time a toy gets shipped. From China to Hasbro, from Hasbro to distributor, from distributor to retailer, the price of these toys has to reflect between two and four trips around the world. Obviously bulk shipping rates are a thing, but even they are insanely more expensive than they used to be. If shipping a figure goes up by $1, the final price of that figure would need to increase by $4 to $8 for Hasbro to continue making the same margin*. It literally costs more than $8 to ship a single figure between any two points in the US these days, so $8 figures with free shipping and three to five links in the supply chain would be far, far, far beyond impossible.

* For simplicity's sake, let's say figures are $20 and Hasbro spends $10 for every $20 they bring in. That's a 50% margin. If shipping suddenly goes up by $1, a fee Hasbro will be paying at least twice (and which distributors and retailers will be paying at least once each, likely also to be necessary to build into the margin), people will be tempted to think "their costs are $2 higher, so their prices should only be $2 higher", but that isn't how it works. They can't just increase the price to $22 because then they'd be spending $12 to earn $22, only a 45% margin. They would need to earn $24 to retain their margin. This is why shipping cost increases lead to exponential price increases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE