Spider-Man Marvel Legends Retro Collection Marvel's Sandman Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

erivera94 takes a look at the new Spider-Man Marvel Legends Retro Collection Marvel's Sandman figure from Hasbro. You can purchase this figure from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

Check out images for this figure below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about it in the COMMENTS SECTION.

Retro-Sandman-00.JPG

Retro-Sandman-01.JPG

Retro-Sandman-02.JPG

Retro-Sandman-03.JPG

Retro-Sandman-04.JPG

Retro-Sandman-05.JPG

Retro-Sandman-06.JPG

Retro-Sandman-07.JPG

Retro-Sandman-08.JPG

Retro-Sandman-09.JPG

Retro-Sandman-10.JPG

Retro-Sandman-11.JPG

Retro-Sandman-12.JPG

Retro-Sandman-13.JPG

I know everyone has a preference (BAF or RETRO), and as much as I liked the BAF, it always looked really weird in my collection. The sand pieces were far superior on the BAF, and I liked the color of the sand better, but I like everything else better about this new Retro version...better scale, symmetry, and the head sculpt just looks way more in line with other legends.  

On 10/9/2021 at 8:48 AM, Psychosomatic said:

I know everyone has a preference (BAF or RETRO), and as much as I liked the BAF, it always looked really weird in my collection. The sand pieces were far superior on the BAF, and I liked the color of the sand better, but I like everything else better about this new Retro version...better scale, symmetry, and the head sculpt just looks way more in line with other legends.  

Maybe down the line they'll come up with a version that's midway between this one and the BAF

On 10/9/2021 at 11:48 AM, Psychosomatic said:

I think you hit all the pros and cons right on the head. And while I know that sandman 'grows' as he takes on more sand (when available) I sold my BAF and all his great attachments for the reasons you stated. I did keep my SDCC Vault all-sand Sandman however because, well, he grows when he takes on more sand, lol!

I'm happy people finally are able to get such an important character for their collection, I'm definetly more of a fan of the BAF and I'm lucky to have built it, this just looks underwhelming to me compared to the BAF, but good on Hasbro's part to finally give this figure to the people.

On 10/9/2021 at 5:32 PM, Ironspider428 said:

Honestly, it would have made more sense to have the expressions on the head swapped. Or to just have a smirking face instead of the blank face. 

On 10/9/2021 at 6:09 PM, Gigantor said:

Whom ever approved the head sculpts the way they were should be fired. Common sense dictated that the angry face have the BD & non damaged head be stoic looking. BBTS just shipped mine yesterday, so should get it by Tuesday. 

I agree. I wonder if they were accidentally swapped at some point. It's almost like how the Love Triangle 3 pack Jean Grey head sculpts we're swapped. I remember when they released official images the slightly open mouth face was with the ponytail, when it released the slightly open mouth face was swapped to the loose hair head sculpt for some reason instead.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:47 AM, Emnems80 said:

I agree. I wonder if they were accidentally swapped at some point. It's almost like how the Love Triangle 3 pack Jean Grey head sculpts we're swapped. I remember when they released official images the slightly open mouth face was with the ponytail, when it released the slightly open mouth face was swapped to the loose hair head sculpt for some reason instead.

It seems they might of just wanted to change it up, since the BAF version had a sand impression in the angry head, so they reversed it with this release. I agree with others that I would have rather had additional sand effects vs. that alternate sand hole head, but I absolutely think they did the right thing with the normal angry head - it looks fantastic.

I’m liking this mad face he’s wearing too 🤷‍♂️. I display my guys in battle mostly so lots of these straight faces we see are pretty boring to me (big time annoyed with Quasar).
I’m not knocking the sand head though just because he has a more stoic expression, which even still looks like he’s slightly disgruntled. Clearly he isn’t phased by taking a blow to the head!

Just wish there were more sand effects. If I can find the right gritty looking spray paint, I’ll take it to Hydro-Man’s foot covers and see how that goes.

Now its Absorbing Man’s turn! 😃

On 10/10/2021 at 12:11 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

I’m liking this mad face he’s wearing too 🤷‍♂️. I display my guys in battle mostly so lots of these straight faces we see are pretty boring to me (big time annoyed with Quasar).

Now its Absorbing Man’s turn! 😃

Well ... Quasar in the 90s comics was sooo powerful that he use to fight with stoic/boring face (I dont think Hasbro had that in mind though, lol)

This sandman is so weird for me. I go back and forth on keeping my preroder and cancelling it. Hasbros sandmans or sandmen have been all over the place with how i like him. Like the baf was cool looking but I just didnt like the face sculpt as much.. I liked the angry face but I just felt he was too big and having no alt regular arms hurt it for me. Also reallllly hated that buck.. mostly due to the ball hip joints. This one its like finally a normal size with options to go sandy or regular but his face sculpts again are a quandary. Expressions are reversed and those BEADY EFFING EYES... His coloring is much more bland and hes just average looking overall.. This is kind of how hasbro hits me sometimes with characters where its like 1 step forward 2 steps back.. or a "not quite" right look. This is also a rare instance where I find the toybiz iteration to be a bit more closer to what im looking for for the character which is why i hesitate on buying a new one thats not quite right.. But he also doesnt have the same artstyle/look to go with most of my collection. 

On 10/10/2021 at 5:04 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

"....that alternate head is just weird. The facial expression and the weird "O" shape make no sense...."

Some people speculate they were trying to go with a "T-1000" look, copying the iconic image of getting a hole shot in its head by Sarah Conner in T2. If that's true, then they missed one crucial point: the T-1000 is a robot that has no feelings, no emotion. It had no anger, no pain,  when she shot him, which made the scene even more chilling. Sandman is a vicious bully and definitely would express rage, even if he wasn't seriously in pain. 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, Atlantis said:

Some people speculate they were trying to go with a "T-1000" look, copying the iconic image of getting a hole shot in its head by Sarah Conner in T2. If that's true, then they missed one crucial point: the T-1000 is a robot that has no feelings, no emotion. It had no anger, no pain,  when she shot him, which made the scene even more chilling. Sandman is a vicious bully and definitely would express rage, even if he wasn't seriously in pain. 

Exactly. I could definitely see that being the inspiration but it falls flat. 

On 10/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, Atlantis said:

I think it would have also been more appropriate to have sort of a crazed smirk on his damaged head, like he knows Spidey can't hurt him and he's mocking him.