Will Poulter To Play Adam Warlock In 'Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3'

Outsiders

Sources from within have informed Deadline that Will Poulter has landed the role of Adam Warlock in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.  The Adam Warlock character made a teaser appearance at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Production is expected to start in November with James Gunn returning to direct, and Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige producing.

Poulter is credited with The Revenant and Detroit, and TV is credited with the Amazon miniseries The Underground Railroad and Hulu’s limited series Dopesick.

Will_Poulter.jpg

On 10/12/2021 at 1:53 PM, Fyrefly21 said:

Keeping my expectations low; I fully expect him to be turned into a walking punchline like the MCU has handled nearly every other Cosmic character.

I mean, he is the product of the Sovereign, which in itself was the walking punchline of Vol. II. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they gave him the Trevor treatment after all the build up and anticipation for this character. I'm betting the bigger pop will be for Howard the Duck in this movie.

I don't like this casting, I really don't enjoy this actor very much, I kinda hate his face, I know it's kinda a stupid statement, but I'm worried about this casting, but I mean Marvel hasn't let me down yet with choosing actors/actresses, even with the weirdest choices, but this kid really doesn't scream Adam Warlock to me in the slightest.

I have mixed feelings about this casting choice. On one hand, I cannot see him in a big cosmic role like Adam Warlock. He is more of a comedian and Adam Warlock is a more serious character. On the other hand, Marvel has proven our doubts wrong with their casting choices, before. We will just have to see his take on the character.

Didn't see this coming, my only experience with the actor is the Millers movie and he wasn't bad in that comedy setting, although the Guardians type of comedy is a bit different. The movie is supposed to work as the sendoff for the original team and perhaps it could be a bit more serious though. 

Anyway we'll see, cause that's not the only thing he's been in and I can't really judge. 

On 10/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I don't like this casting, I really don't enjoy this actor very much, I kinda hate his face, I know it's kinda a stupid statement, but I'm worried about this casting, but I mean Marvel hasn't let me down yet with choosing actors/actresses, even with the weirdest choices, but this kid really doesn't scream Adam Warlock to me in the slightest.

Exactly to all of this. He seems very punchable. This doesn’t ruin my wanting to see the next GOTG but I’m not thrilled about his casting.

For some reason I get the notion that he'll be out of the cocoon, curiously exploring either a cabin on the Milano or an apartment on Earth....in the background a radio is playing the Rupert Holmes tune "Him"....

I can just see James Gunn doing this, to see how many people in the audience catch the reference....

On 10/12/2021 at 4:11 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Bro....I literally just told me wife the exact same thing just now, lol. Yeah, this is really the only time I didn't like a casting choice. I both expected and much preferred an actor who looked....well, a lot more impressive looking. 

On 10/13/2021 at 9:18 PM, Air-Walker said:

Bro....I literally just told me wife the exact same thing just now, lol. Yeah, this is really the only time I didn't like a casting choice. I both expected and much preferred an actor who looked....well, a lot more impressive looking. 

Yeah funny enough like a few moments ago my GF made the same comments Ha!, and she said did you hear the guy from Midsommar and Maze Runner with that funny face is Adam Warlock, she was mad, seems like it's a universal thing you either love this kid or not, but hey I'm still respecting Marvel for their decision they have not let me down yet, but I have not been so astonished with how much out the gate I don't like a casting decision they made, Adam Warlock is supposed to be a engineered perfect specimen and is a serious character, should have had Zac Efron (which that pic up in the top is rendered off of, it seems) as him, at least that would have made sense, but whatever I will reserve the full judgement for when I actually see the performance. 

On 10/12/2021 at 4:29 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

that may sound weird but I thought Adam was a "Perfect Specimen" of the species.

This guy does not look it to me.

I think that may be the whole point.

This whole thing is starting to remind me of an old X-Files episode (which in turn ripped off it's plot from a Superboy episode). The agents run into a female super-soldier developed in an experiment to create the perfect human weapon. The joke is, instead of a perfect physical specimen, the woman is slightly over-weight and plain looking.

That just screams the kind of "Comedic Twist" Gunn would pull out of his butt for one of these movies.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:21 AM, mako said:

That just screams the kind of "Comedic Twist" Gunn would pull out of his butt for one of these movies.

Count on it. I'm betting, as the Sovereign have been so inept at killing the GOTG to this point, he's gonna end up being some kind of naive , goofy, bumbling, Frankenstein-type failure of an experiment that's pretty much the punchline of the entire movie until he figures out he's the "perfect" being and reaches his full potential just in time to save the day in the end. And now that the Multiverse will have been blown wide open by the time this movie releases, don't be surprised if there is some kind of tie-in with the Infinity Stones or the Infinity Watch from another universe.

As far as Poulter himself, sure we all know him as Kenny from We Are the Millers, and his roles have been pretty limited in the other projects he's been in, but if what Michael Keaton has said about his acting chops is any indication he might have a bit more range than we realize. Also, if the Hollywood trainers could physically change pudgy Andy to Alpha Male Starlord I'm sure they could pack some muscle onto this kids tall frame to make him look a little more "ideal" for Adam Warlock.

On 10/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, monron999 said:

. . . until he figures out he's the "perfect" being and reaches his full potential just in time to save the day in the end. 

Or the Guardians end up saving the day, but everyone else thinks it was Warlock who is so delusionally narcissistic (sort of a cosmic Barney Fife), he believes it himself.

He's not what I would've expected for the casting choice for Warlock, either. I usually don't have an issue with MCU casting, except for the dismal selection they had for the original Guardians in the last movie ( Stallone as... Starhawk?). 

Also the abysmal choice for Iron Fist (although that was netflix).  But sometimes these choices can surprise us all. James Gandolfini was never expected to play a leading man till he got cast in the Sopranos. And who would think that Bryan Cranston, ol' Tim "he took it out" Whatley, would go on to star as one of the most iconic figures in American television history? 

Hopefully this will turn out well, fingers crossed.

• 4 weeks later...

Sylvester Stallone today released this image giving us our first look at his Starhawk (Stakard Ogord) character who will be returning in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. We first saw Stallone enter the MCU in GOTG 2. The movie which is being directed once again by James Gunn and added actor Will Poulter as the character Adam Warlock is currently slated for release on May 5, 2023.

Guardians-Of-The-Galaxy-Starhawk.jpg

On 11/15/2021 at 8:09 AM, JayC said:

Sylvester Stallone today released this image giving us our first look at his Starhawk (Stakard Ogord) character who will be returning in Guardians of the Galaxy 3. We first saw Stallone enter the MCU in GOTG 2. The movie which is being directed once again by James Gunn and added actor Will Poulter as the character Adam Warlock is currently slated for release on May 5, 2023.

Man, I'll always turn up for Stallone, good or bad.  He's certainly got plenty of both.

I hope he gets a little more screen time in this one.  How're you gonna cast Stallone and not give him an action scene?