Marvel Legends Binary Figure Video Review And Images

JayC

On 10/26/2021 at 10:07 AM, MonsterChris said:

Devil's advocate here.  I admit that I absolutely don't understand it, but I also submit that I shouldn't have to.  I think you've mentioned owning a store, right?  That's going to give you a lot more insight that the average collector has.

Hasbro made a toy and [retailer] wants to sell it to me.  I have the money and want to buy it.  I think the onus is on the manufacturer and retailer to make that transaction reasonably accessible to me.  I appreciate all of the discussions in forums like this and the insight I get as a result.  But at the end of the day, I don't want an economics lesson.  I want an action figure.  And I'm not going to feed scalpers.

If Hasbro, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, or whoever can't get their act together and sell me a toy, I'm going to spend my money on Ninja Turtles instead.

Well said . . . with one caveat. Sure, when a retailer agrees to sell a product, they bear the responsibility of doing just that, but the ULTIMATE responsibility for getting products into the hands of consumers lies with the producer of said products.

If no stores in my area are carrying the Walgreens exclusive Nova, whose fault is it that I can't buy it? The retailer, for whom toys are a minor concern at best, or the toy company that made sure ONLY that retailer could sell it?

Probably the retailer who agreed to buy at least a designated minimum quantity in exchange for exclusive rights to sell it. If toys are a “minor concern at best” for Walgreens, they should stop soliciting Hasbro for exclusives or otherwise agreeing to the terms. Hasbro did the math to figure out how many they needed to sell to make it financially worthwhile, and Walgreens agreed to buy at least that many. If Walgreens doesn’t want to bother doing the work to anticipate demand and order accordingly, or to do the work of actually distributing their stock to their stores or through their website, what’s Hasbro supposed to do about it? They made the toy as part of an exclusive agreement, and Walgreens lived up to their end (ordering at least the minimum). Hasbro has to live up to theirs too, even if Walgreens just puts all the toys in a warehouse and decides never to sell them. Hasbro can’t sell to anyone else until the terms of the agreement expire. And to their credit, they have pretty consistently sold most recent Walgreens exclusives elsewhere once they could, focusing on popular under-stocked figures like Dani and the Cuckoos (and Walmart exclusives like Captain America, etc.).

On 10/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, MonsterChris said:

Devil's advocate here.  I admit that I absolutely don't understand it, but I also submit that I shouldn't have to.  I think you've mentioned owning a store, right?  That's going to give you a lot more insight that the average collector has.

Hasbro made a toy and [retailer] wants to sell it to me.  I have the money and want to buy it.  I think the onus is on the manufacturer and retailer to make that transaction reasonably accessible to me.  I appreciate all of the discussions in forums like this and the insight I get as a result.  But at the end of the day, I don't want an economics lesson.  I want an action figure.  And I'm not going to feed scalpers.

If Hasbro, Walgreens, Target, Walmart, or whoever can't get their act together and sell me a toy, I'm going to spend my money on Ninja Turtles instead.

This is all fair, but Hasbro gets a lot of grief for these distribution problems when there isn’t really anything they can do to prevent these particular problems other than stop making exclusives, which would A) mean the figures in question would never get made, rather than making them more accessible, and B) probably greatly reduce the other output of the line and/or the available outlets to purchase it. It’s totally fair for you not to care about the process and just want your toy, but it’s an extreme waste of everyone’s energy to target your frustration at Hasbro, when the only thing they’re doing to hamper availability of these toys is make sure that Walgreens shoulders all the risk of carrying them. Walgreens is otherwise responsible for every single shortcoming of the process, and no amount of screaming at the “Big Three” on the internet will make them more capable of handling it.

I guess my frustration is less with people’s ignorance of retail processes, and more with them letting their ignorance drive.

On 10/26/2021 at 3:57 AM, Jmacq1 said:

Do you seriously believe Hasbro just forces their product on retailers and can tell them how much they're going to order, which stores are going to stock it and how much?  That's not how any of this works.

Nothing I said reflects what you just said. That's utterly ridiculous. I don't know what you're reacting to but its not what I said at all.

On 10/26/2021 at 7:07 AM, MonsterChris said:

"...Hasbro made a toy and [retailer] wants to sell it to me.  I have the money and want to buy it.  I think the onus is on the manufacturer and retailer to make that transaction reasonably accessible to me.  I appreciate all of the discussions in forums like this and the insight I get as a result.  But at the end of the day, I don't want an economics lesson.  I want an action figure.  And I'm not going to feed scalpers...."

And there it is. Well put.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Benn said:

A) mean the figures in question would never get made.

Let me hit you with a counter-point. Sticking with my Nova example, what exactly is the difference between not being able to find the figure because most Walgreens don't seem to be interested in stocking it, and not being able to find the figure because it was never made?

I can't speak for anybody else, but if the only way for Hasbro to make a figure is distribute it in a way that no one can find it, they can save their money, cause I'd rather they didn't make it at all.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:51 AM, Benn said:

This is all fair, but Hasbro gets a lot of grief for these distribution problems when there isn’t really anything they can do to prevent these particular problems other than stop making exclusives, which would A) mean the figures in question would never get made, rather than making them more accessible, and B) probably greatly reduce the other output of the line and/or the available outlets to purchase it. It’s totally fair for you not to care about the process and just want your toy, but it’s an extreme waste of everyone’s energy to target your frustration at Hasbro, when the only thing they’re doing to hamper availability of these toys is make sure that Walgreens shoulders all the risk of carrying them. Walgreens is otherwise responsible for every single shortcoming of the process, and no amount of screaming at the “Big Three” on the internet will make them more capable of handling it.

I guess my frustration is less with people’s ignorance of retail processes, and more with them letting their ignorance drive.

Exactly, Hasbro have said numerous times, that once the product leaves the factory, they have no control over it.

On 10/26/2021 at 6:51 PM, Benn said:

I agree with most of this but i have a few points that I don't feel are 100 percent accurate.

First, I don't agree that any figure of any demand would ever not get made, with or without the exclusive process. There's no exclusive I've ever seen them do that couldn't have been done through Fan Channel or Pulse. Sure, there are maybe some pointless ones like Black Ant or Pewter Surfer and maybe Iron Doom that we coulda done without, but if Hasbro thought it would make a buck, as with the case of Nova and Quasar, they would certainly get them out one way or another.

Secondly, you're absolutely right. All exclusives are paid for upfront by the retailer, so Hasbro is not out any costs whether the retailer chooses to sell them or bury them in the desert, but to say they don't care how or if the product is distributed is inaccurate. It's still representative of their brand and there is still some responsibility for that retailer to make that available to ML fans. Hasbro would not simply produce a product under one of it's most popular brands without a stipulation in the agreement that the retailer would agree to distribute it in a way that would be beneficial or even favorable to that brand. If the retailer continues to drop the ball the burden falls on Hasbro to answer to why they continue to do business with that retailer and would be expected to address the issue, as they did with the G.I.. Joe exclusives during last weeks PulseCon.

That being said, I do believe the current issue with Walgreens' exclusives have more to do with the supply chain rather than their neglect to put them on the shelves.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 11:06 PM, Cyke82 said:

Passing by just to inform that Binary started being released in Brazil as well. I pre-ordered it from Amazon a couple of months ago and i just received it today, although the expected shipping date was january 2022. Same happened to Tigra too.

Yeah Binary shipping out here in Canada as well just got the notice from Gamestop

On 11/25/2021 at 2:05 AM, Atlantis said:

They should've waited and put this one on an improved pinless buck. It would  be a great follow on to the Shriek mold, just as the new upcoming Vulcan is a variation on the Sunfire buck.

As much as I agree, this figure does still look very good for what it is, it would have made sense to put it on a similar buck to the last comic Carol figure we got, but hey they don't play by the rules, still a very cool figure though, very clean execution and the firey hair is great. I can forgive them, I mean they made this certainly over a year ago and didn't have to many figs on that new buck yet, I'm sure it would have been cool if they waited but that's how Hasbro gonna Hasbro.

On 11/24/2021 at 11:22 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

"...As much as I agree, this figure does still look very good for what it is, it would have made sense to put it on a similar buck to the last comic Carol figure we got, but hey they don't play by the rules, still a very cool figure though, very clean execution and the firey hair is great...."

A friend just got the Invisible Woman and its as bad as everyone says. Immediately put the Skrull BAF IW head on, looks so much better, but also accents the puny arms and spindly legs. Lot of gappage between the lower torso and the legs. Really poorly slapped together. I sure hope Binary doesnt come out like that.