Iron Fist No More

JayC

On 10/29/2021 at 5:26 PM, McHogan said:

Add Iron Fist to the loooooong list of multiple people running around with the same Super Hero title.. 

2x Power Man

2x Falcon 

2x Captain America 

2x Spider-Man... et all et all...

for the love of god just create new characters

But that would require creativity and effort. Easier to just swap existing characters.

My favorite Iron Fist run is the Brubaker & Fraction run, which was all about legacy, so this is situation where i really have no issue with someone new picking up the mantle and frankly am surprised it didn't happen already. 

Its kind of weird to think that having an all-asian creative team is, by implication, such a rare event in comics that it is worthy of making special note of.  Mainly since marvel has had asian artists for a long time, going back to the great filipino artists of the 70s, if not further.  But off the top of my head (and admittedly i'm old) I can't recall many asian comic writers back in the day.  My guess would be maybe Larry Hama might have worked with asian artists at some point, so perhaps he would be part of the 1st all-asian creative team but maybe other more knowledgeable can come up with something more definitive. 

Ironfist has sucked as a character for quite a while & the putrid Netflix series certainly did it no favors.  Just give us a deluxe 2 pack of classic Powerman & Ironfist with alternate yelling/screaming head sculpts, an assortment of various hands plus some chi-energy FX for IF's right hand, no transparent hand crap.  Give Luke retro Herc's lower legs plus new boots, and sculpt a new upperbody & arms. IF can be on the Sunfire buck. Scale & sculpt wise, this is the perfect picture to show their look & hgt difference.  Luke is 6'6, IF is 5'11

zTztyX8.jpg

On 10/30/2021 at 2:11 PM, bashpics99 said:

My favorite Iron Fist run is the Brubaker & Fraction run, which was all about legacy, so this is situation where i really have no issue with someone new picking up the mantle and frankly am surprised it didn't happen already. 

Its kind of weird to think that having an all-asian creative team is, by implication, such a rare event in comics that it is worthy of making special note of.  Mainly since marvel has had asian artists for a long time, going back to the great filipino artists of the 70s, if not further.  But off the top of my head (and admittedly i'm old) I can't recall many asian comic writers back in the day.  My guess would be maybe Larry Hama might have worked with asian artists at some point, so perhaps he would be part of the 1st all-asian creative team but maybe other more knowledgeable can come up with something more definitive. 

It's part of the whole belief that you have to be from that race/creed/cultural in order to be good at writing them

On 10/30/2021 at 11:04 AM, Gigantor said:

Ironfist has sucked as a character for quite a while & the putrid Netflix series certainly did it no favors.  Just give us a deluxe 2 pack of classic Powerman & Ironfist with alternate yelling/screaming head sculpts, an assortment of various hands plus some chi-energy FX for IF's right hand, no transparent hand crap.  Give Luke retro Herc's lower legs plus new boots, and sculpt a new upperbody & arms. IF can be on the Sunfire buck. Scale & sculpt wise, this is the perfect picture to show their look & hgt difference.  Luke is 6'6, IF is 5'11

zTztyX8.jpg

The reason they put Power Man and Iron Fist together in the first place was cuz neither could carry a solo joint. Not sure what ever gave them the bright idea (Marvel, whaddayagonnado?) to split them up again. There is no Power Man without Iron Fist and there is no Iron Fist without Power Man. It is what it is, and there's no amount of guilt tripping or pandering to the Twitter mob that's gonna change that. Guess they'll have to learn the hard way. Again.

Oh yeah, Snake Eyes only failed cuz of the Rona. I forgot.

Another win for the SJWs.

It will be like this now. Everything we knew will be destroyed or erased with some lame ass story to push what they want. They have been trying to do this for years. Very limited success, now they just don't care anymore.

To me iron Fist will always be Danny Rand. 

This will be the MCU Iron Fist.

And probably 10 years from now young people won't even know who are Tony Stark or Steve Rogers. 

On 10/30/2021 at 8:10 PM, FASVB said:

Another win for the SJWs.

It will be like this now. Everything we knew will be destroyed or erased with some lame ass story to push what they want. They have been trying to do this for years. Very limited success, now they just don't care anymore.

To me iron Fist will always be Danny Rand. 

This will be the MCU Iron Fist.

And probably 10 years from now young people won't even know who are Tony Stark or Steve Rogers. 

Then Marvel wonders why their monthly sales are tanking. 

I'm excited for a new take on the character; superheroes should be allowed to retire. This allows for new stories to be told from a different perspective.

Obviously, Danny will be back (don't get your knickers in a twist over a fictional character).

On 10/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, Dabboi said:

I'm excited for a new take on the character; superheroes should be allowed to retire. This allows for new stories to be told from a different perspective.

Obviously, Danny will be back (don't get your knickers in a twist over a fictional character).

Ehh you mean like the woke mob does? 

This isn’t really new though. It’s just  taking something old and making it different.

On 10/30/2021 at 10:39 PM, Dabboi said:

Since they're fictional, they hardly age, therefore they don't have to be "retired" in order for new stories to be told. Marvel just needs to hire writers that actually know how to write good stories about well established & loved characters such as Danny Rand/Ironfist. Creating a new "diverse" character to replace him will hardly make me wanna buy & read their comics.  Then when sales are tanking 4-5 issues later, they hype up the miraculous return of the new & improved Danny Rand/Ironfist who can now transform into a Dragon or some other stupid gimmick they think the fans will find "kewl". Here's a unique concept, how bout creating a new diverse martial arts character to interact with Danny? How bout bringing back the original White Tiger/Hector Ayala & the sons of the Tiger, Mucho diversity right there! 

Worth remembering no one gave much attention to iron fist since the first half of Immortal Iron fist series that really expanded mythos and it’s been over 14 years since then so everything after that series was ignored and low selling, Marvel wants to inject new blood into this possible franchise, which makes sense and  maybe they are hoping that next time Danny returns in role of Iron fist fans will appreciate him more. 

On 10/31/2021 at 6:36 PM, SpiderS said:

Worth remembering no one gave much attention to iron fist since the first half of Immortal Iron fist series that really expanded mythos and it’s been over 14 years since then so everything after that series was ignored and low selling, Marvel wants to inject new blood into this possible franchise, which makes sense and  maybe they are hoping that next time Danny returns in role of Iron fist fans will appreciate him more. 

"Inject new blood" gotcha. Wink wink.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:17 PM, Gigantor said:

Since they're fictional, they hardly age, therefore they don't have to be "retired" in order for new stories to be told. Marvel just needs to hire writers that actually know how to write good stories about well established & loved characters such as Danny Rand/Ironfist. Creating a new "diverse" character to replace him will hardly make me wanna buy & read their comics.  Then when sales are tanking 4-5 issues later, they hype up the miraculous return of the new & improved Danny Rand/Ironfist who can now transform into a Dragon or some other stupid gimmick they think the fans will find "kewl". Here's a unique concept, how bout creating a new diverse martial arts character to interact with Danny? How bout bringing back the original White Tiger/Hector Ayala & the sons of the Tiger, Mucho diversity right there! 

Because if Marvel did introduce a totally new and diverse character, then people would STILL complain and talk about how manga outsells comics (which they are, but not because of what colour a fictional character is) or how comics are failing (which they aren't).

You don't have to read this "SJW Woke" comic, it might not be meant for you, which is okay. If the new Iron Fist is South Asian, then some little kid in Nepal could pick up an Iron Fist comic (or read it online) and see themselves in this universe and fall in love with comics; just like we all did when we were kids. That's why diversity in comics is important. Is Marvel really bad at diversity? Yeah, generally. But that doesn't mean that diverse characters shouldn't be included, it's comics, it's something for everyone.

On 10/31/2021 at 9:54 PM, Dabboi said:

Because if Marvel did introduce a totally new and diverse character, then people would STILL complain and talk about how manga outsells comics (which they are, but not because of what colour a fictional character is) or how comics are failing (which they aren't).

You don't have to read this "SJW Woke" comic, it might not be meant for you, which is okay. If the new Iron Fist is South Asian, then some little kid in Nepal could pick up an Iron Fist comic (or read it online) and see themselves in this universe and fall in love with comics; just like we all did when we were kids. That's why diversity in comics is important. Is Marvel really bad at diversity? Yeah, generally. But that doesn't mean that diverse characters shouldn't be included, it's comics, it's something for everyone.

Diversity is important. I don't think anyone can honestly deny that. The problem is the way not only Marvel does it but how pretty much the entire entertainment industry has been trying to do it for years. You can't just change a character that already has widespread recognition and try to trick fans into liking them. You may gain a bit of fandom, but it tends to lose more of the original fans in the payoff.

You can create new characters but that would suggest any of these modern hack writers have any bit of creativity in their body beyond another clone saga or "old man" story, which we know isn't the case, so all they can muster is "let's change this character to ___" or "let's make this character ___".

You can take previous characters that Marvel had cast off and abandoned and breath new life into them. There are tons of characters in Marvels past of many genders, ethnicities and orientations that "creators" lost faith in or no longer wanted to devote time to that can be rejuvenated, but that takes time and effort, so they try to take the short cut and change characters we already know and try to guilt us into accepting the change. Meanwhile characters like Colleen Wing, Daken and Dust keep languishing further into obscurity.

On 10/31/2021 at 11:31 PM, monron999 said:

Diversity is important. I don't think anyone can honestly deny that. The problem is the way not only Marvel does it but how pretty much the entire entertainment industry has been trying to do it for years. You can't just change a character that already has widespread recognition and try to trick fans into liking them. You may gain a bit of fandom, but it tends to lose more of the original fans in the payoff.

You can create new characters but that would suggest any of these modern hack writers have any bit of creativity in their body beyond another clone saga or "old man" story, which we know isn't the case, so all they can muster is "let's change this character to ___" or "let's make this character ___".

You can take previous characters that Marvel had cast off and abandoned and breath new life into them. There are tons of characters in Marvels past of many genders, ethnicities and orientations that "creators" lost faith in or no longer wanted to devote time to that can be rejuvenated, but that takes time and effort, so they try to take the short cut and change characters we already know and try to guilt us into accepting the change. Meanwhile characters like Colleen Wing, Daken and Dust keep languishing further into obscurity.

You nailed it 100% The Sons of the Dragon & White Tiger Hector Ayala are characters created in the 70s who are of diversity and different ethnic backgrounds, but Marvel would rather let them gather dust & cobwebs in the basement & just go the lazy route by changing the gender/race of well known established characters & then expect fans of those characters to be content & happy & continue buying that comic cuz if they don't, they're the problem.  And yeah, Manga outsells Marvel/DC combined cuz they write stories about good guys fighting bad guys & leave the BS out of their stories. I use to buy comics as a kid to escape reality, not read about who sleeps with  who & who's LGBTQXYZ, I could give a rats ass about any characters sexuality. I get a kick outta that ignorant writer who a few yrs ago said, "if you don't like my politics, don't read my comic", she was soon outta work after that.  Marvel now hires untalented writer based on their gender/race/politics & not their writing talents. Go woke, go broke.