Jed Mackay's Timeless #1 Offers A Stunning Glimpse Into The Future Of The Marvel Universe

JayC

This December, Kang the Conqueror will go on an epic journey across space and time to discover the future of the Marvel Universe in writer Jed MacKay’s TIMELESS #1!

This special one-shot will provide groundwork for some of Marvel’s most exciting 2022 stories and this week, fans got to see a series of mysterious teasers showcasing the surprising moments that await when Kang finds himself in a war against time itself! The teasers pose questions about Thanos’ new weapon, Doctor Doom’s future meddling, and Anatoly Petrov’s role as Kang’s companion on this quest. PLUS: How does ENTROPY pose an existential threat to the fabric of the Marvel Universe itself?

“During the course of events in TIMELESS, the timeline undergoes significant trauma and Kang is put in the fascinating position of not knowing what happens next,” MacKay told CBR in an exclusive interview. “Things that should play out differently, others happen as expected, while yet others are completely new fabrications of a shaken timeline. There will certainly be plenty to speculate upon and some very exciting hints for what is to come over the next couple of years.

Check out all five teasers now and see what’s to come as the future of the Marvel Universe unfolds in TIMELESS #1 on December 29!

TIMELESS #1
Written by JED MACKAY
Art by KEV WALKER, GREG LAND, and MARK BAGLEY

Teaser1.jpg

Teaser2.jpg

Teaser3.jpg

Teaser4.jpg

Teaser5.jpg

Sounds like a metaphor for the state of writing in Marvel comics as a whole. Nobody ever knows what the hell is going on. Seems like 90 percent of what they do is pulled straight outta their arses on the fly. Makes the Star Wars sequel trilogy look like a well planned and thought out masterpiece.

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2021 at 11:27 PM, toycrypt said:

Honestly....is this new school character? I'm an OT if this was a character that is older....I have no idea who he is. The MCU would be much better off is they used the Beyonder. Easy costume . 80s styled white outfit. No reason to figure out how to dumb down another costume.

um no, he has been around for over 3 to 4 decades now.

I was pleasantly surprised by Timeless. I thought it was going to be one of the usual string of short stories to hook new readers to upcoming books, but it was an almost entirely self-contained Kang story and a deep-dive into his psyche with only a single splash page amounting to teasers. The story was a treat (no surprise coming from Jed MacKay) and it was particularly helpful since I'm not all that familiar with Kang.

Can't say I'm not too attached to Miracleman, but good to see something being done with the character.

On 12/31/2021 at 2:27 PM, toycrypt said:

" Honestly....is this new school character? I'm an OT if this was a character that is older....I have no idea who he is...."

He was created a LONG time ago (1950s), so he's definitely not new school. He's basically a british rip-off of Captain Marvel, that is, the ORIGINAL Captain Marvel, who now goes by the name Shazam. You may know that Captain Marvel at one time was so popular he was outselling Superman at the comic stands. But, the publisher got sued; they couldn't keep the doors open and they shut down.

The British comic publishers just decided to keep Captain Marvel going by ripping off the character and called him Marvel Man.  Use a magic word to transform from Billy Batson to Captain Marvel?   Then Micky Moran will use one to transform to Marvel Man (later called Miracle Man)! Captain Marvel's arch enemy is a runty evil genius scientist? Miracle Man's arch enemy will be the same!  Shameless copying...down to the almost goofy stories the original had done. But years later when Alan Moore got ahold of the title, he made it much more grim, more dire, and really revived it, even though he kept all the characters around. Some very compelling and captivating work.

Still, I can't see why they're doing this. There are tons of characters that have greater potential. Oh well.

KIMOTA

Great knowledge @Atlantis, always appreciate the info you impart. 

I knew OF Miracle Man but nothing of his powers/origins etc. also recall Moore taking a gritty spin on him , as if Alan Moore has any other spins. Seems like MM was at Image as well but the owner ( does Moore own him?) had a falling out with McFarlane and took him to Marvel as an F U to Todd. Though, in truth, I might be thinking of Angela. 

Anyway, Miracle Man May technicality be old school but he hasn’t been under the Marvel banner long enough and I haven’t read any stories with him in the Marvel Universe to really consider him a “Marvel” character.

and not that it matters these days since stories have little impact arc to arc but is it wise to have “Universe changing” event  heavily involve a character that Marvel doesn’t 100% own? Hate when collected editions can’t be reprinted because Marvel no longer owns the rights to ROM, Godzilla, Shogun Warriors, Conan ( for a while) etc etc etc that played a part in a storyline that will forever be incomplete. Looking at you WildStorm and those infamous 13th issues of the Heroes Reborn story.. 

On 1/4/2022 at 4:00 AM, McHogan said:

Great knowledge @Atlantis, always appreciate the info you impart. 

I knew OF Miracle Man but nothing of his powers/origins etc. also recall Moore taking a gritty spin on him , as if Alan Moore has any other spins. Seems like MM was at Image as well but the owner ( does Moore own him?) had a falling out with McFarlane and took him to Marvel as an F U to Todd. Though, in truth, I might be thinking of Angela..

That was definitely Angela. But hey, if we get a ml miracle man out of this I'm all for it.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:00 PM, McHogan said:

"I knew OF Miracle Man but nothing of his powers/origins etc. also recall Moore taking a gritty spin on him , as if Alan Moore has any other spins...."

Oh, they went gritty alright. Got dark, got deep. It was pretty intense, especially for readers that knew who Miracle Man/Marvel Man actually came from, but it was a good read. Personally I don't see the need, however, to revisit the character 'cause the story ran its course. But if youre interested you should check it out.

Tawky-Tawny-Shazam-Cover-02-768x479.jpg