The 'Eternals' Banned In Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain & Oman

Outsiders

The countries of  Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Oman have banned the new Disney/Marvel’s Eternals release.  The Eternals was originally scheduled to open in the region on November 11th.

The studio or the local territories wouldn't provide an official reason behind the banning but in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Oman, the censors were seeking further cuts beyond any scenes of intimacy, and that Disney opted not to make the edits, hence distribution certificates weren’t issued.

Meanwhile, in Kuwait and Qatar, the Chloe Zhao-directed super-gods movie was blocked. The issue may not solely be the same-sex kiss, but rather had a problem with the depiction of gods and prophets, something they consider blasphemous.

The film would be released in the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Lebanon, and Egypt with a version of the film that removes all scenes of intimacy — be they heterosexual or homosexual.

These same issues happened back in 2017 with Warner Bros.' Wonder Woman being officially banned in Lebanon and Tunisia. The ban was prompted by the Lebanese group Campaign to Boycott Supporters of Israel-Lebanon because the pic’s lead actress, Gal Gadot, is Israeli and a former soldier in that country’s army.

Source: Deadline

As someone is from one their surrounding countries I understand their point of view. And as a fan imo I could care less bout sex scens and love scenes it just unnecessary in this movie it can be strongly implied, with alot of almost elements. But MCU having a sex scene is so out of place, and doesn't further plot its just there to be different. 

While I'm sure Disney would bend over backwards, forward, sideways, inside out and upside down to get China's business back, these countries aren't a big enough market to even move the needle. I think this is nothing but a springboard for Disney to try and make themselves look like they have some sort of spine when it's all window dressing. Its like being ready to throwdown with the 90 pound weakling but folding like a lawn chair when the real bully comes to town.

As it is, it's just another arrow in the quiver they can use (along with the 'Rona) to explain why the movie doesn't perform as well as expected. Personally, I think it will do just fine. It's not like they have any major competition to go up against right now. It should have a solid two weeks on top until Ghostbusters comes out and blows it outta the water.

Edit: just realized I parroted exactly what @NotNamed and @Gigantor just said, but I guess it just makes it that much more obvious.

Just saw the Movie, and I enjoyed it, I won't say much other then I went with like little expectations and I liked it, it was very different then any MCU movie yet, I think it's got something, the Deviants were cool looking, the visuals were fantastic and the characters had a lot to like about them (not all of them though, but you'd be surprised by the ones who stand out), I was surprised by some of the things the story did, some pleasent some less,  I think if they can get past all of this hate, there should be no reason this movie can't be a reasonable hit.

On 11/4/2021 at 6:26 PM, SUPREME007 said:

As someone is from one their surrounding countries I understand their point of view. And as a fan imo I could care less bout sex scens and love scenes it just unnecessary in this movie it can be strongly implied, with alot of almost elements. But MCU having a sex scene is so out of place, and doesn't further plot its just there to be different. 

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I don’t think there is a sex scene in Eternals, the problem these countries seem to be having is the gay kiss. I could be wrong, someone who has seen it can clarify, but i don’t think unnecessary sex scenes are the issue here.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:31 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Just saw the Movie, and I enjoyed it, I won't say much other then I went with like little expectations and I liked it, it was very different then any MCU movie yet, I think it's got something, the Deviants were cool looking, the visuals were fantastic and the characters had a lot to like about them (not all of them though, but you'd be surprised by the ones who stand out), I was surprised by some of the things the story did, some pleasent some less,  I think if they can get past all of this hate, there should be no reason this movie can't be a reasonable hit.

Selma Hayek is awful but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and like you I had low expectactions.   It's better than Shang Chi and Black Widow.  

On 11/5/2021 at 1:04 AM, Ironspider428 said:

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I don’t think there is a sex scene in Eternals, the problem these countries seem to be having is the gay kiss. I could be wrong, someone who has seen it can clarify, but i don’t think unnecessary sex scenes are the issue here.

There is a sex scene, first MCU sex scene (kinda weird here), and a gay kiss, but it's so short it's barely there.

On 11/5/2021 at 12:41 PM, Inspection12e said:

Selma Hayek is awful but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and like you I had low expectactions.   It's better than Shang Chi and Black Widow.  

I did like it better then Shang Chi and I liked Shang Chi, but I found eternals better, and both are better then Black Widow. I think Eternals was a good fresh feeling film for the MCU, people need to give it a chance.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:41 AM, Inspection12e said:

Saying it's better than the other 2 MCU movies isn't really saying much. I'll give this a Redbox rental in a month or 2.   

On 11/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I did like it better then Shang Chi and I liked Shang Chi, but I found eternals better, and both are better then Black Widow. I think Eternals was a good fresh feeling film for the MCU, people need to give it a chance.

I actually liked Black Widow because the first hour or so was flawless and towards the end it lost itself  Eternals>Black Widow>Shang Chi IMO

On 11/4/2021 at 8:29 PM, monron999 said:

While I'm sure Disney would bend over backwards, forward, sideways, inside out and upside down to get China's business back, these countries aren't a big enough market to even move the needle. I think this is nothing but a springboard for Disney to try and make themselves look like they have some sort of spine when it's all window dressing. Its like being ready to throwdown with the 90 pound weakling but folding like a lawn chair when the real bully comes to town.

As it is, it's just another arrow in the quiver they can use (along with the 'Rona) to explain why the movie doesn't perform as well as expected. Personally, I think it will do just fine. It's not like they have any major competition to go up against right now. It should have a solid two weeks on top until Ghostbusters comes out and blows it outta the water.

Edit: just realized I parroted exactly what @NotNamed and @Gigantor just said, but I guess it just makes it that much more obvious.

You were less pithy, but more eloquent than I.

On 11/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

There is a sex scene, first MCU sex scene (kinda weird here), and a gay kiss, but it's so short it's barely there.

I stand corrected. They did say it would be completely different from anything else in the MCU so far, as long as it's tasteful, I don't see an issue with it though.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:31 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm just curious.. did it make you want to buy the figures though?

On 11/6/2021 at 1:44 AM, MRT said:

I'm just curious.. did it make you want to buy the figures though?

It didn't make me want to buy the figures I didn't already have, so no, I already had planned I only wanted a few of the figures which were Sersi, Makkari, Thena and Kro, the other figures just don't look that cool to me, and even a character being cool in the movie that won't change your figure which I don't really like, two of my fav characters ended up being Gilgamesh and Druig, and those are two of the worst figures, so no I'm not buying em Hahha

but I could see this movie making people want to buy the Eternals figures, just not me.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:30 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

but I could see this movie making people want to buy the Eternals figures, just not me.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me, the movie is a non-issue. It was always ONLY about the figures. Their "blandness" and "Stargate Day-Player" costumes make them perfect blank slates for whatever head-cannon scenario I wanna dream up.

As for the movie itself, everyone keeps saying it's different from every other MCU movie out there. If that means Fiege and company have finally decided to move beyond the frat-boy douche-comedy rut they've been in for the last several years, more power to them. Me? If I dedicate 30+ bucks and 2+ hours of my life to a movie, I don't want stale one-liners and woke box-checking by a director with no knowledge/respect for the subject material.

Heck, I have no knowledge/respect for the subject material, but I'm not making a movie about it.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:30 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

It didn't make me want to buy the figures I didn't already have, so no, I already had planned I only wanted a few of the figures which were Sersi, Makkari, Thena and Kro, the other figures just don't look that cool to me, and even a character being cool in the movie that won't change your figure which I don't really like, two of my fav characters ended up being Gilgamesh and Druig, and those are two of the worst figures, so no I'm not buying em Hahha

Wait, what’s wrong with Druig’s figure? That’s actually one of my favorites. I’ll give you Gilgamesh, that one isn’t the best at all.

This movie had the best, most mature handling of relationships between characters of any Marvel movie so far.  Not just romantic relationships, either.  The Eternals really did feel like an estranged and scattered family coming back together again.  There was humor, but it wasn't an attempt at non-stop laughs or a constant contest of "Who is the snarkiest?"    All the Eternals were well portrayed and felt like fully-realized characters, though yes, I would agree that a couple of them were somewhat weaker performances than others, and one that I initially thought was kinda weak and wooden turned out to be one of the best in the movie after some things became clearer.  

It wasn't perfect though.  The entire Kro subplot seemed like a waste, or a combination of Chloe Zhao being told by Marvel she HAD to have the Deviants in the movie and Thena needing a big hero moment in the third act (after, from my understanding, Thena's role expanded greatly as they developed the film, going from a glorified cameo to a major character).  There was a little bit too much "tell, don't show" though I'm not entirely sure how it could have been done better given the subject matter.  And bluntly there were so many characters that juggling them all did seem to make the movie a bit overstuffed (Makkari and Kingo both seem like they were slightly shortchanged for different reasons).  

Overall I liked it, and even more so I liked that it set up a lot of interesting questions regarding other aspects of the MCU (Like Thanos origins and motivations), as well as planting potential seeds for future stuff (Seems REALLY obvious that there could be some serious intertwining of/conflict between the Celestials and a certain Devourer of Worlds).

Also, while I don't think it's a spoiler at this point that Dane Whitman doesn't suit up as the Black Knight in this, I think fans will be pretty satisfied with the trail of Easter eggs they drop around him.   Also nice seeing Kit Hairington playing a character that's (at least initially) cheerful and good-humored.

On 11/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, Ironspider428 said:

Wait, what’s wrong with Druig’s figure? That’s actually one of my favorites. I’ll give you Gilgamesh, that one isn’t the best at all.

That Druig figure looks no beuno , like Barry Keoghan cosplaying as Pinhead, the Gilgamesh just looks like a poor representation of the actor IMO, in both Buck size and face print.

but in the Movie they were great characters.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:31 PM, Jmacq1 said:

This movie had the best, most mature handling of relationships between characters of any Marvel movie so far.  Not just romantic relationships, either.  The Eternals really did feel like an estranged and scattered family coming back together again.  There was humor, but it wasn't an attempt at non-stop laughs or a constant contest of "Who is the snarkiest?"    All the Eternals were well portrayed and felt like fully-realized characters, though yes, I would agree that a couple of them were somewhat weaker performances than others, and one that I initially thought was kinda weak and wooden turned out to be one of the best in the movie after some things became clearer.  

It wasn't perfect though.  The entire Kro subplot seemed like a waste, or a combination of Chloe Zhao being told by Marvel she HAD to have the Deviants in the movie and Thena needing a big hero moment in the third act (after, from my understanding, Thena's role expanded greatly as they developed the film, going from a glorified cameo to a major character).  There was a little bit too much "tell, don't show" though I'm not entirely sure how it could have been done better given the subject matter.  And bluntly there were so many characters that juggling them all did seem to make the movie a bit overstuffed (Makkari and Kingo both seem like they were slightly shortchanged for different reasons).  

Overall I liked it, and even more so I liked that it set up a lot of interesting questions regarding other aspects of the MCU (Like Thanos origins and motivations), as well as planting potential seeds for future stuff (Seems REALLY obvious that there could be some serious intertwining of/conflict between the Celestials and a certain Devourer of Worlds).

Also, while I don't think it's a spoiler at this point that Dane Whitman doesn't suit up as the Black Knight in this, I think fans will be pretty satisfied with the trail of Easter eggs they drop around him.   Also nice seeing Kit Hairington playing a character that's (at least initially) cheerful and good-humored.

This review was on point, more or less this is how I felt.

it's a good movie,and I hope people keep speaking up for it being good, and the hate can dissipate

It had potential but who thought that putting  10 characters in 2.5  hour action  movie was good idea? It was impossible task that movie did manage  but at a cost of making movie at times  boring and feeling like a real chore, movie easily could cut 3 or more characters and instead focus on ones who were central to the plot giving us much needed focus and some breathing space, Jolie’s Character and Gilgamesh could have been fully excluded from the movie without much damage to the plot and instead appear in sequel or other movies that would continue their story. This movie def does a lot of universe building for the future of MCU and uses very interesting ideas taken from Universe X comics that will very likely  lead us to Galactus, which makes it one of the most important marvel movies of recent years in terms of  lore  but sadly it’s very flawed movie and it was no ones fully but their own, not to mention those action scenes that are barely visible due to “natural” darkness. 

On 11/6/2021 at 3:01 PM, SpiderS said:

It had potential but who thought that putting  10 characters in 2.5  hour action  movie was good idea? It was impossible task that movie did manage  but at a cost of making movie at times  boring and feeling like a real chore, movie easily could cut 3 or more characters and instead focus on ones who were central to the plot giving us much needed focus and some breathing space, Jolie’s Character and Gilgamesh could have been fully excluded from the movie without much damage to the plot and instead appear in sequel or other movies that would continue their story. This movie def does a lot of universe building for the future of MCU and uses very interesting ideas taken from Universe X comics that will very likely  lead us to Galactus, which makes it one of the most important marvel movies of recent years in terms of  lore  but sadly it’s very flawed movie and it was no ones fully but their own, not to mention those action scenes that are barely visible due to “natural” darkness. 

It's kind of six of one, half-dozen of the other.  I think the movie was better for the complicated web of relationships between all the Eternals, but at the same time I do kind of agree that maybe a few could have been introduced but not really utilized until the sequel (Maybe have had some of them leave Earth before the present-day portions of the movie).

It was not a terrible movie but was it by no means up to MCU standards. If each MCU franchise has it's own niche (Ant-Man is the heist movie, Cap American is the spy drama) then this is the RomCom that no one asked for. I don't care who's hooking up with who or who's shipped with who. This is some over inflated egomaniacs wet dream and it will not get a sequel. Thanks for introducing Black Knight I guess, but pretty much everything else was nonsense. I would literally re-watch any and every other MCU movie before this one. It's done, it's over with. The toys are terrible. The movie was okay. Let's move on to Spider-Man and Morbius.

On 11/6/2021 at 2:30 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Well the figures just look lame to me, regardless. I like cool looking costumes, esp. retro ones.

On 11/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

That Druig figure looks no beuno , like Barry Keoghan cosplaying as Pinhead,

Haha amazing.. I've said the exact same thing. Like this Druig is a prequel Cenobyte.. 

I know nothing of the actors portrayal yet but as a figure, this dude creeps me out