These Aren't The X-Men You Know...But They Are A Force To Be Reckoned With

JayC

Sunspot. Cannonball. Marrow. Boom-Boom. Tempo. Forge. Banshee. Strong Guy. Armor. Earlier this year, these X-Men characters were choices in the mega popular X-Men Vote! While they ultimately weren’t chosen as the final member of the Krakoan Age’s first team of X-Men, the vote took social media by storm with passionate fans campaigning fiercely for their favorites. And this February, fans can relive the excitement of this pivotal moment in X-Men history by seeing their chosen candidates in action in SECRET X-MEN #1! This special one-shot written by Excalibur and X of Swords scribe Tini Howard and drawn by Daredevil artist Francesco Mobili will bring all nine of these mutant heroes together for a secret mission to the stars!

When the Shi’ar Empire faces an unexpected threat, they must call upon the X-Men. Team co-captains Sunspot and Cannonball will lead Marrow, Tempo, Forge, Banshee, Strong Guy, Armor, and Boom-Boom on a dangerous mission to save a figure of paramount importance—the daughter of Professor X and empress of the Shi’ar: Xandra!

"We had to do it, yeah? And I jumped at the chance to tell the story while I had the time,” Howard said. “Cannonball was my vote, and Strong Guy? Tempo? Boom-Boom? This is the perfect team for an intergalactic X-Men mission. I hope they didn't forget anything important!"

See the team assemble on Leinil Francis Yu’s cover below and be there when SECRET X-MEN #1 hits stands on February 9!

SECRET X-MEN #1
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by FRANCESCO MOBILI
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

SECRETXMEN2022001_Cover.jpg

I like a lot of these characters. Many of them had a lot of potential and a bit of fanfare (Strong Guy, Boom-Boom, Marrow) at one time but were ruined by bad writers and some of them were cool ideas that never really got fleshed out (Armor, Tempo) and some of them are just victims of having their powers and back stories tinkered with and changed so many times that they just got too confusing for writers to want to use anymore (Sunspot, Cannonball), and some are older, respectable characters that were always just identified as supporting characters (Forge, Banshee). Not gonna knock it just yet. I'd be much more likely to pick this one up rather than some of the old, tired, reused drivel Marvels been pushing lately. I have high hopes for this one but, lets never sleep on Marvels ability to ruin a good idea with Marvel idealism.

I also have high hopes for this one. It’s great to see Armor and Tempo getting a bit of spotlight for once. I know a lot of people were bored with Tini Howard’s Excalibur, but I mostly really enjoyed it, so we’ll see. Armor, especially, has suffered from really, really bad characterization every time she’s been utilized in the last few years, so I hope they turn that around with her here.

On 11/10/2021 at 8:35 AM, Benn said:

I also have high hopes for this one. It’s great to see Armor and Tempo getting a bit of spotlight for once. I know a lot of people were bored with Tini Howard’s Excalibur, but I mostly really enjoyed it, so we’ll see. Armor, especially, has suffered from really, really bad characterization every time she’s been utilized in the last few years, so I hope they turn that around with her here.

How so?

For those who have read the X-Men from Claremont's first run to today, do they still read contiguously? When I read in the 90's, they still seemed to be part of the same continuity. I know there have been a billion reboots since the 90's, and especially in light of the HOX/POX reboot, if one picked up an X-Men book from the 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's, and today would they feel like the same characters?

On 11/10/2021 at 9:14 AM, Chunkylover said:

For those who have read the X-Men from Claremont's first run to today, do they still read contiguously?

It all depends on how you look at it, I suppose. For the most part the history of the characters are the same and they are acknowledged. Guido was still the ruler of hell (though I think he got his soul back), Marrow still went through her chrysalis period, but now she's back to her old self. Characters like Cannonball and Sunspot mostly unrecognizable from the 90's, mostly overly altered by bad writing and uncreative, unoriginal "creators" meddling, but their histories remain intact. Tempo was more or less background noise back then and Armor is fairly new so it was before her time and they never really developed her to begin with, so Marvel has plenty of room to screw both of them up. Banshee and Forge are old reliables who should bring a lot of experience and knowledge from their X-Men days (though it seems Forge got a power upgrade I'm unaware of), but I expect these should be pretty much the same characters, but having gone through a lot of ridiculous BS storylines and arcs and talentless "creative teams" and unexpected exiles between now and then.