X-Men '97, An animated Original Series, Coming in 2023 To Disney+

JayC

Didn't the show end somewhat weakly with weird animation? I think I saw something about it in some video review. They covered a lot of stories from the 80's and 90's in heavily abridged ways. I wonder what might be left from that era. I wonder if they could maintain the feel and just write new stories altogether.

I just hope they keep the themes relatively simple and can avoid the zeitgeist of today.

Last week for Disney+ Day we got the word that the X-Men from the 90's would be returning for a new animated series coming in 2023 to the streaming service. This will be a direct continuation of the fan-loved Fox X-Men Animated series that originally ran from 1992-1997 and featured Professor X's primary team of Cyclops, Storm, Wolverine, Jean Grey, Rogue, Gambit, Beast and Jubilee.

While some might credit the Fox movies for making X-Men a household name, many of us who grew up in the early 90's probably would say it was this series that actually did that, often taking storylines straight out of the comics and putting them on the small screen.

While not a lot is yet known about the new series, we can tell you that it will be written by Executive Producer Beau DeMayo (Netflix The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf animated series). The Supervising director is Jake Castorena and supervising producer is Charley Feldman. We can also tell you that Amelia Vidal has been brought on as the lead character designer for the show. Vidal's most recent work includes the Marvel What If...? series also on Disney+ which will also be getting a second season.

While not specifically done for the new show, Vidal has been known to dabble in X-Men characters for fun, some of which you can check out below. Again these images were done a while ago and not specifically for this new show. It does likely give us an idea however of what we might expect for the look and feel of X-Men '97.

For the voice cast we can expect Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Alison Sealy-Smith, Chris Potter, Catherine Disher, Adrian Hough, and Christopher Britton from the original series to return, though some might not be voicing the same characters they did in the original show.

New additions for the show will include Jennifer Hale, Anniwaa Buachie, Ray Chase, Matthew Waterson, JP Karliak, Holly Chou, Jeff Bennett, and AJ LoCascio.

Finally we can tell you the showrunners of the original series Eric and Julia Lewald along with original series director Larry Houstonhave have been brought on as consultants for the new series.

The X-Men have changed a lot over years in the pages of the comics since those classic 90's X-Men stories, so it's hard to say if the new show will solely stick to that era for it's stories or just use that as a launching point to bring us into the present with these characters. Never-the-less, if this new show is even half-as-good as the original, then I think it will be worth checking out. If you have never seen the original X-Men cartoon then I highly recommend you check it out, which if you have Disney+ already is easy to do being all the episodes are available there for your viewing pleasure.

X-Men-97 0.jpg

X-Men-97 1.jpg

X-Men-97 2.jpg

X-Men-97 3.jpg

X-Men-97 4.jpg

X-Men-97 5.jpg

X-Men-97 6.jpg

X-Men-97 7.jpg

What the hell do they need a head designer for? We already know what they look like and we know what the villains look like. One thing about this show (the first one, anyway) is that the characters pretty much followed the comics, but then again we're all familiar with what happened to He-Man's so called sequel. Loved the 90's cartoon and I pray they don't screw it up, but Disney gonna do what Disney do, so.......not looking too promising.

On 11/15/2021 at 2:33 PM, monron999 said:

What the hell do they need a head designer for? We already know what they look like and we know what the villains look like. One thing about this show (the first one, anyway) is that the characters pretty much followed the comics, but then again we're all familiar with what happened to He-Man's so called sequel. Loved the 90's cartoon and I pray they don't screw it up, but Disney gonna do what Disney do, so.......not looking too promising.

They could have a new animation studio or art style for all we know.

On 11/15/2021 at 9:33 AM, monron999 said:

Every show and movie have head designers. This also includes backgrounds, animation style and storyboard direction which is completely different from stories and scripts. Head designers don’t control the written story. You can see a preview of the art on this thread. Looks modernized design wise but the outfits are the same. The animation and art style  on He-Man Revelation was fantastic. The STORY  on other hand was AWFUL. Again head art designers do not dictated scripts or stories or ideas. Only the visual tones of a show. 

On 11/15/2021 at 12:44 PM, mako said:

Disney has a long and proud history of taking the long and proud history of the IPs entrusted to them and wrapping their garbage in it. That's GARBAGE, not trash, the stuff Disney makes is rotten to core and stinks to high Heaven.

They'll ruin this the way they ruined every other Marvel property.

Yeah man, they really messed up the Marvel IP. I really hate that they turned it into a multi-billion dollar juggernaut with consistently great movies and shows that make good use of their source material. 🙄 

I certainly wouldn't want them to have an X-Men property that tackles complex political issues and pushes for minority representation because the X-Men I love never stood in for repressed groups through some sort of "mutant metaphor" or anything like that.

On 11/15/2021 at 11:59 AM, Powerhouse37 said:

Yeah man, they really messed up the Marvel IP. I really hate that they turned it into a multi-billion dollar juggernaut with consistently great movies and shows that make good use of their source material. 🙄 

I certainly wouldn't want them to have an X-Men property that tackles complex political issues and pushes for minority representation because the X-Men I love never stood in for repressed groups through some sort of "mutant metaphor" or anything like that.

+1

• 4 weeks later...