Tom Holland On Board For At Least Three More Sony Spider-Man Solo Movies Set In The MCU

JayC

Sony producer Amy Pascal told Fandango in a recent interview that actor Tom Holland will return for another trilogy of Spider-Man movies that will continue to be set in the MCU.

“This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel — this is not the last Spider-Man movie. We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel, it just isn’t part of… we’re thinking of this as three films, and now we’re going to go onto the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies,”

No Way Home which hits theaters on December 17 is the third movie in the first Holland triology of films which began with Homecoming and Far From Home. In other words the next Spider-Man movie likely won't have the word Home in the title.

Advance Ticket sales opened for No Way Home at midnight last night and fans actually bogged down a number of the ticket sales websites such as AMC purchasing tickets for the movie. I think it's a safe assumption that No Way Home will be the biggest box office grossing movie to open since the pandemic began.

The only thing that looks to stand in Spidey's way now is the latest COVID variant named Omicron which news broke about this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend. While cases of the Omicron variant have yet to be reported in the US, many experts seem to think that its only a matter of time before that happens. Initial reports indicate the Covid Omicron variant is more contagious than the previous Delta Variant and its possible that it might even have some effect on those who have been fully vaccinated against COVID.

With so little is known about the Omicron variant at this time, it's hard to say how it will actually impact things like people willing or able to go to movie theaters by the middle of next month, but I am sure it's something studios will be watching carefully.

Way to lower the risk for the movie. I felt like it could’ve been Holland’s last turn as Spidey if they wanted, so with everything happening in the movies, it felt like the risks were real and he may be killed. But oh well, my excitement for this movie is spiraling down since I can’t seem to find tickets safely anyway. 

On 11/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, memocromatico said:

Way to lower the risk for the movie. I felt like it could’ve been Holland’s last turn as Spidey if they wanted, so with everything happening in the movies, it felt like the risks were real and he may be killed. But oh well, my excitement for this movie is spiraling down since I can’t seem to find tickets safely anyway. 

Yep. Stakes are important. It would have probably been smarter had Sony saved this announcement for AFTER the movie's premiere, but very few people have ever accused Sony of being smart with Spider-Man.

I'm good with it! I really like this kid; he's been my fav live-action Spidey to date, even more than Nicolas Hammond 🙂 (seriously, though he's more a sentimental fav). I don't recall anyone saying it was the last outing for TH, only that for him it felt like an ending of sorts. TH is young, and he looks even younger; he has a very endearing sense of innocence to him that TM and AG didn't quite nail imo, and audiences have definitely taken to him more. Hollywood is first and foremost a business, and that means they've got more to squeeze out of him, for sure. 

Asides from being entertained, if there's anything I'd hope for with this film is a surprise intro for Miles Morales and Spider-Gwen. I've not read any of their stories, but I really liked them in the Spiderverse cartoon film and would love to see them in Live-Action.

So Sony figures out the MCU knows how to handle the characters and they will make a lot of money letting Feige and company handle the IP..  shrewd move Sony... very brave 😁

all kidding aside, Holland has been a great fit so this is welcome news. But since his third “Home Trilogy” film will have so many supporting characters I’d like to see them NOT introduce Miles or Gwen. One thing Maguire and Garfield didn’t have to deal with was getting marginalized in their own movies.. seems poor Tom’s run has seen him play second fiddle to Iron Man at first and now (maybe) Multiversal Spideys. Maybe the next trilogy will have Spidey ( the MCU Spidey) front and center from the get go.

On 11/29/2021 at 3:12 PM, memocromatico said:

No way they were going to kill off Holland's Spidey in this movie. I don't think he was even ever one of the characters rumored to die in this one. 

On 11/30/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ironspider428 said:

No way they were going to kill off Holland's Spidey in this movie. I don't think he was even ever one of the characters rumored to die in this one. 

He could’ve been. I mean, there was a whole issue with this 3rd movie even being made remember? Plus making this a Sinister Six movie could’ve set-up the death of Spider-Man quite cleanly like the Ultimate universe. Additionally, with the nigh confirmation of other Spider-Men in the movie, there was a possibility. Announcements like these do nothing for the film but lower the stakes in the fight scenes of the character mentioned.

On 11/30/2021 at 11:57 PM, Hogun said:

I want the next Spider-Man movie to feature a more adult Peter Parker. I am tired of the same rehash of Spider-Man as a kid in high school.

I agree, I am a much bigger fan of the adult peter, when he was married and a grown up, rest assured if Tom is signed up for 3 more movies, we are going to have to progress into his adult hood, so just wait it out, Tom's already 25, so he's not going to be a high school kid much longer, I could imagine this will be the end of that, and moving forward we are going to see the adult parker (of course Adult being mid-late 20's).