Marvel Legends Retro Spider-man Wave 2 IN PACKAGE Images - Hasbro

toynewman

In response to a point brought up in the video: The reason Hasbro used the game's version of the Spider-Armor is because that way Insomniac saved them the trouble of sculpting. If they had made this figure using the fully comic accurate design, Hasbro would have had to design it from almost scratch. But by using a model provided by Insomniac, they only needed to give it points of articulation. Kinda funny that this figure is a Gamerverse release disguised as a retro one.

On 12/6/2021 at 12:10 PM, ADour said:

In response to a point brought up in the video: The reason Hasbro used the game's version of the Spider-Armor is because that way Insomniac saved them the trouble of sculpting. If they had made this figure using the fully comic accurate design, Hasbro would have had to design it from almost scratch. But by using a model provided by Insomniac, they only needed to give it points of articulation. Kinda funny that this figure is a Gamerverse release disguised as a retro one.

Generally speaking, game models can't just be translated over into CAD files. They're designed very differently. While it's possible, the amount of work that it would take for Hasbro to translate a game model to tool a physical figure would be more time consuming than simply creating a new model from scratch. 

On 12/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, glhshelby said:

Generally speaking, game models can't just be translated over into CAD files. They're designed very differently. While it's possible, the amount of work that it would take for Hasbro to translate a game model to tool a physical figure would be more time consuming than simply creating a new model from scratch. 

That's interesting insight, thanks. Though I gotta ask, is it a certainity that making a new model from scratch would be easier?

On 12/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, ADour said:

That's interesting insight, thanks. Though I gotta ask, is it a certainity that making a new model from scratch would be easier?

Well I can speak personally to translating game files into something that’s 3d printable. It’s not usually simple. But more than that, I’ve read several interviews with toy designers over the years where they specifically refute the idea that you can just add articulation to a 3d model. The interior space of a game model is just space; an action figure has to be broken down into many smaller parts, which interlock correctly. The tolerances and thickness of the plastic have to be measured and applied. The proportions need to match other figures in the line, etc. It all has to be sculpted in from the beginning. 

The part where you sculpt the basic likeness requires talent definitely, but on something really basic and straightforward like this Spiderman, it wouldn’t be a giant part of the process. 

On 12/6/2021 at 5:17 PM, glhshelby said:

Actually, speaking as a 3d modeler and a background in game design/3d, they could very well just use the 3d model, by converting it into an OBJ file and edit it in zbrush with the tools from that program and make the articulation cuts and add the joints in. They would have to do a bunch of editing and retooling to make it look right tho. Like ALOT. I agree with you, it would be much easier to just do their own sculpt from the start and apply their joints as they go. The figure does not look exactly like the in game model.

Its kind of weird they put it on a retro package but im sure they just wanted a more modern interpretation.. or they just slipped it in bc marvel wanted it. The older version wouldve been so much easier since its so basic but probably not as appealing looking. 

I do like this armour suit despite the fact it's the video game version, which I think is odd they went with that for the retro card, but I get it it can pass, and it's still really cool, but makes me say...well are we going to get a comic accurate version at some point? which makes me say should I just pass on this and wait for that? , I already pre-ordered this so likely it's a no I won't wait because I do like this, it's nice, but just makes me a bit frustrated, we waited so long for that armour and now it's not even really the exact armour we wanted.... as for Hammerhead it's cool he's getting made, but I have never had any interest in him as a character or a figure, easy pass, but nice he looks pretty good if you want/like that kinda character.

On 12/7/2021 at 5:40 PM, EvilHayato said:

Actually, speaking as a 3d modeler and a background in game design/3d, they could very well just use the 3d model, by converting it into an OBJ file and edit it in zbrush with the tools from that program and make the articulation cuts and add the joints in. They would have to do a bunch of editing and retooling to make it look right tho. Like ALOT. I agree with you, it would be much easier to just do their own sculpt from the start and apply their joints as they go. The figure does not look exactly like the in game model.

Its kind of weird they put it on a retro package but im sure they just wanted a more modern interpretation.. or they just slipped it in bc marvel wanted it. The older version wouldve been so much easier since its so basic but probably not as appealing looking. 

You're absolutely right. I didn't mean to imply they COULDN'T use a game model, just that the work they would have to do to use it for a CAD file for a figure would be so extensive, I can't believe that it would be easier than building a model from scratch.

I hate the scalemail textured effect that Hasbro used on the older Hobgoblin and on the Green Goblin figures. That's just not how I've ever pictured the suit to look or feel. I would almost rather they just use deco to give it the texture effect. Anyway, all that is to say I prefer the smooth arms and legs of this new Hobby to the older version. I wish the colors were a little more muted, but I do understand what they were going for.

The biggest problem with this version, to me, is the eyes are too small and the face is too light/washed. They're not deal-breakers. I don't have the other Hobgoblin so I'm happy to get this one, but there is still room for some improvement.

On 12/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, glhshelby said:

You're absolutely right. I didn't mean to imply they COULDN'T use a game model, just that the work they would have to do to use it for a CAD file for a figure would be so extensive, I can't believe that it would be easier than building a model from scratch.

Honestly it would depend on what they were going for and if they didnt have a set process in transitioning it to a figure. It really just depends on their workflow really. Entirely possible to streamline it with the model but if they have set guidelines for the figures proportions as well as their reuse of parts, it would be easier to just piecemeal from their assets and then texture and set up paint apps. 

What would have really sold this Hobgoblin were to have used a head that more closely resembles the toybiz one which in turn was very close to the animated show. This head just doesnt look like hobgoblin in that retro look. They have the colors right and less details to resemble the more basic look of a cartoon and then have a more realistic head just doesnt look right. And we know they made this to compete with the off market price of the space venom one but to me that version is far superior to what they are offering here. Still if you dont have that version, its better than saggy bewbed baf they made years ago or of course none at all. 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:52 AM, RyanDaly said:

I hate the scalemail textured effect that Hasbro used on the older Hobgoblin and on the Green Goblin figures. That's just not how I've ever pictured the suit to look or feel. I would almost rather they just use deco to give it the texture effect.

I’m not a fan of it either. I *think* I may end up frankensteining my own — using the old one’s orange parts + this one’s blue parts + the toybiz head & cloak. We’ll see.

To steal one of the online reviewers words "this thing is two steps back". There's literally nothing with this figure that is better than the last one. Now, if you're just a fan of his "original" look I guess that's cool, but as far as quality and appearance this thing looks closer to Hasbro's first ML attempts rather than current ML. And, are my eyes just playing tricks on me, or has the torso actually been scaled down to be thinner, but otherwise identical? It's really weird. The arms are much thinner as well to be sure, but I think I recall Ned being a bit larger than Peter, even in his more "huskier" days when Buscema and Romita drew him. Either way, this was the only figure that had sold out when I tried to pre-order this series and after looking at it I'll go ahead and keep my money.

My complaint is the same as I've said before- the goblin glider is just too small.  It looks silly at that size; I don't know if a more accurate, larger one would've sold me on the figure, but its just one more reason I passed on this. I'm glad I still have the Toybiz figure and glider 'cause that one makes so much more sense.