Marvel Legends Retro Spider-man Wave 2 IN PACKAGE Images - Hasbro

toynewman

On 12/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, EvilHayato said:

Actually, speaking as a 3d modeler and a background in game design/3d, they could very well just use the 3d model, by converting it into an OBJ file and edit it in zbrush with the tools from that program and make the articulation cuts and add the joints in. They would have to do a bunch of editing and retooling to make it look right tho. Like ALOT. I agree with you, it would be much easier to just do their own sculpt from the start and apply their joints as they go. The figure does not look exactly like the in game model.

Its kind of weird they put it on a retro package but im sure they just wanted a more modern interpretation.. or they just slipped it in bc marvel wanted it. The older version wouldve been so much easier since its so basic but probably not as appealing looking. 

I design and build tooling for applications with very small tolerances and I work with a modeler who then has to scan and "clean up" the tools and then be 3D printed for mass production. While I have only rudimentary experience with 3D modeling, but my friend says it should actually be pretty easy to convert a computer model into actual print, which could then be used as basically a prototype, assuming the files can be converted. The tough part is breaking the model apart and at the joints and assumed articulation points and finishing out the ports and joints area which basically have to be created as a computer model joint doesn't actually move like plastic. Of course he has no background in video games or game design, but as a general standard it should work.

To me it seems quite clear that Hasbro has used at least partial game models on several figures. Aside from this Spider Armor, there is also the very first Colossus figure which resembles the Contest of Champion version so much that we couldn't figure out at first where the costume design came from. Also take a look at the Venompool BAF and the MODOK Deluxe figure which look like they came directly of the screen (with texturing added later, of course). I think it's not crazy to think future figures like Dragon Man and Mojo may follow suit.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:22 AM, monron999 said:

I design and build tooling for applications with very small tolerances and I work with a modeler who then has to scan and "clean up" the tools and then be 3D printed for mass production. While I have only rudimentary experience with 3D modeling, but my friend says it should actually be pretty easy to convert a computer model into actual print, which could then be used as basically a prototype, assuming the files can be converted. The tough part is breaking the model apart and at the joints and assumed articulation points and finishing out the ports and joints area which basically have to be created as a computer model joint doesn't actually move like plastic. Of course he has no background in video games or game design, but as a general standard it should work.

To me it seems quite clear that Hasbro has used at least partial game models on several figures. Aside from this Spider Armor, there is also the very first Colossus figure which resembles the Contest of Champion version so much that we couldn't figure out at first where the costume design came from. Also take a look at the Venompool BAF and the MODOK Deluxe figure which look like they came directly of the screen (with texturing added later, of course). I think it's not crazy to think future figures like Dragon Man and Mojo may follow suit.

That is all pretty much how it is. When a figure is taken apart, there are a good amount of small parts that all connect together so those all have to be added as well as resized. Game res models arent super high poly typically but in order to edit it efficiently while retaining details, it has to be, but there are ways of making them higher poly and editing the areas that need to be cut up for articulation while still retaining that high res detail. Typically tho the workflow would be a modeler creates a high poly model and then retopologizes the mesh to be more economic to the game engine as well as easier to animate with a less dense mesh. If the company were to give them the higher res mesh with all the details, it would be easier but still a big clean up job of retooling and resizing. I would imagine Hasbro has some form of artistic cohesion where they have an art direction of how the figures proportions should be in comparison to other characters as well as looking like they go with eachother and possibly a specific workflow with their figures. 

Ive seen other companies use the actual game models for the basis of their figures. I cant remember the exact companies but its been done before. Which colossus figure do you mean? The warlock wave one? If that one, its from Uncanny Xmen #500. Venompool was first developed for Contest of Champions. Or at least that design is. MODOK is pretty much what hes looked like. The only thing about Contest is they have distinct proportions and art direction where edges are sharp. Most likely if it resembles anything from contest, they just had alot of reference art from the game. If it is in any way referenced from the game, i like their liberties in not doing the hard edges on any of the finished product. 

On 12/11/2021 at 6:19 PM, EvilHayato said:

Which colossus figure do you mean? The warlock wave one? If that one, its from Uncanny Xmen #500.

Yeah, that's pretty much what we figured out here eventually, but at first we were all a little perplexed where the look came from. I think someone first pointed out that it was identical to the CoC version and then someone pointed out that he appeared that way in Uncanny 500. It was just such a brief and specific look for him in the comics that one had to wonder it they actually used only that small reference point from the comic or if the collaborated with Kabam to nail down the look. Either way, one must agree that the coincidence is uncanny (buh-dump-pa-tish).

On 12/11/2021 at 9:17 PM, monron999 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what we figured out here eventually, but at first we were all a little perplexed where the look came from. I think someone first pointed out that it was identical to the CoC version and then someone pointed out that he appeared that way in Uncanny 500. It was just such a brief and specific look for him in the comics that one had to wonder it they actually used only that small reference point from the comic or if the collaborated with Kabam to nail down the look. Either way, one must agree that the coincidence is uncanny (buh-dump-pa-tish).

I think hasbro just wanted an excuse to use the beard head XD. 

On 12/13/2021 at 3:13 AM, leokearon said:

Even though the Black Costume is my favourite Spidey look, I don't see the need to get another one

Even though the Black Costume is my favorite spidey look, I find the mighty need to have another one! 😉 XD Seriously this one just looks so great and it can be his buffer iteration. 

On 12/13/2021 at 6:14 AM, EvilHayato said:

Even though the Black Costume is my favorite spidey look, I find the mighty need to have another one! 😉 XD Seriously this one just looks so great and it can be his buffer iteration. 

I'm actually surprised at how many black costume Spideys I have; I passed on the kingpin BAF one as I didn't see it as necessary. I will get this one though. What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the red/gold Iron Spider-Man figure.

On 12/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, EvilHayato said:

That said, I am thinking of getting the Ben Reilly even though I have the previous version

Was not a big fan of this entire backtrack and use this new buck for every Spidey we've ever done probability, but I do really like this one. I'm seriously hoping we eventually get a Black & White costume on the larger Reaper buck to represent Kraven impersonating Peter, perhaps in a Kraven's Last Hunt multi-pack. The Jackal buck can easily be converted for Vermin.

I’m going to grab this guy if I can find him. Seems the last super articulated red and blue Spidey was relatively easy to find... eventually. That one was the last of that wave I found. Then I saw him everywhere for a minute then he was gone for good. I’m going to trust that Hasbro’s awesome distribution of all their waves these past few years continues and I can get this version as easily.

now I’m no customizer but even I can slap a little paint on a figure so I may take a page from MAFEX ( or was it SHFiguarts?!?) and paint the bottoms of his feet that nice light blue. That looks super cool and wish Hasbro had added that little touch too.

On 12/13/2021 at 11:16 AM, Atlantis said:

I'm actually surprised at how many black costume Spideys I have; I passed on the kingpin BAF one as I didn't see it as necessary. I will get this one though. What I'm REALLY looking forward to is the red/gold Iron Spider-Man figure.

Bro SAME. The kingpin one was not symbiote I want or care for or even remotely familiar with so I skipped it and did not look back. I was not a huuuuge fan of the red gold iron spider but that one looks SO good. Is that going to be available everywhere or like a fan channel? I seem to have forgotten. 

On 12/13/2021 at 11:45 AM, leokearon said:

That said, I am thinking of getting the Ben Reilly even though I have the previous version

I have him on preorder. I have the previous one too but that is and has always been spider carnage for me so getting the newer body mold works out! One of my all time favorite costumes for spidey. 

New Rendition of the Black Suit looks great, I plan on getting it (if I can, judging how crazy people go for classic spideys), I have it pre-ordered but who knows anymore, I actually only have 1 black spidey currently, and it's that weirdo Kingpin version (which I'm not even big on) so I need to replace that because... what in the is the kingpin wave version...not my black suit spidey.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:24 AM, EvilHayato said:

I have the previous one too but that is and has always been spider carnage for me so getting the newer body mold works out! One of my all time favorite costumes for spidey. 

This as well, need that new Ben spidey, because I have the original version as Spider Carnage on display, big Ben fan here so I gotta have that suit as well on display.

On 12/14/2021 at 5:24 AM, EvilHayato said:

Bro SAME. The kingpin one was not symbiote I want or care for or even remotely familiar with so I skipped it and did not look back. I was not a huuuuge fan of the red gold iron spider but that one looks SO good. Is that going to be available everywhere or like a fan channel? I seem to have forgotten. 

I have him on preorder. I have the previous one too but that is and has always been spider carnage for me so getting the newer body mold works out! One of my all time favorite costumes for spidey. 

I totally forgot I could use the previous one as Spider Carnage. Yeah, now I have a reason to double dip.

Good, solid assortment theme for a set with no BAF. More "retro" offerings like this would be great.

• Iron Man (gold armor)
  • Dr. Spectrum
  • Firebrand
  • Madame Masque
  • Mandarin, or
  • Captain America (FA)
  • Nomad (Steve) 
  • Constrictor
  • Nightshade
  • Moonstone (original)
  • Sub-Mariner (70s)
  • Attuma