Charlie Cox Will Be The MCU's Daredevil

JayC

While honestly this is not really something I would consider to be major breaking news, I supposed it's worth reporting that Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige in a recent interview has confirmed that actor Charile Cox will continue to be the MCU's Daredevil.

"If you were to see Daredevil in upcoming things, Charlie Cox, yes, would be the actor playing Daredevil. Where we see that, how we see that, when we see that, remains to be seen."

Now Feige is being vague here, but if you follow the MCU rumor mill in any way then you probably have known for some time that the likelihood of seeing Charlie Cox back in the MCU is going to be happening sooner rather than later, and he won't be the only one from the Netflix Daredevil series coming back.

The bigger question remains IMO is how much of a role will Daredevil have in the MCU going forward. Could he be headed to the big screen for his own solo adventures or perhaps a new Disney+ series? When those details surface, that is when I will consider this to be major news.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:46 AM, JohnF said:

We saw this one coming, but a confirmation always reassures me. I would really like to see a daredevil movie now in the MCU. I think I prefer it over new (or even a continuation of the Netflix) series.   

Personally, I would like to see him get a starring role in like 7 movies, 4 Disney+ series, and an Xbox exclusive game based on the work of Miller. All in the first 3 yrs that is. We are owed for the time frame that Netflix cheated us.

On 12/6/2021 at 3:51 PM, Evan_H said:

Personally, I would like to see him get a starring role in like 7 movies, 4 Disney+ series, and an Xbox exclusive game based on the work of Miller. All in the first 3 yrs that is. We are owed for the time frame that Netflix cheated us.

My only objection to that is the Xbox exclusivity 😅. I'd prefer something available to everyone.

I would love to see Daredevil AND Jessica Jones in the MCU (Misty Knight would be welcome as well but Luke Cage is gonna have to be recast and, IMO, re-done from the ground up. The Georgia preacher’s son who became a cop thing needs to go; Luke is Harlem born and raised, through and through); there needs to be a more grounded, gritty side to the MCU to go with the cosmic and supernatural sides. Charlie Cox and the rest of the cast did a fantastic job and I'd love to see that continue.

P.S. please redesign his mask; get that thing off his nose. He's Daredevil, not the Batman.

On 12/6/2021 at 10:21 AM, Atlantis said:

I would love to see Daredevil AND Jessica Jones in the MCU (Misty Knight would be welcome as well but Luke Cage is gonna have to be recast and, IMO, re-done from the ground up. The Georgia preacher’s son who became a cop thing needs to go; Luke is Harlem born and raised, through and through); there needs to be a more grounded, gritty side to the MCU to go with the cosmic and supernatural sides. Charlie Cox and the rest of the cast did a fantastic job and I'd love to see that continue.

P.S. please redesign his mask; get that thing off his nose. He's Daredevil, not the Batman.

Agree. Daredevil and Jessica were two of the better castings in the Netflix Marvel project. I'm not as high on the Punisher casting as others, but I wouldn't mind them using the same actor for Misty Knight and Colleen Wing, for that matter. It's a strange thing about Cage though. Even though he looked the part, there was something that just wasn't quite right about it. Of course, we all know what a tragedy Iron Fist was.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:21 AM, Atlantis said:

Agreed, I personally think all of the casting choices for the Netflix series were spot-on, even Danny and Luke, I know people didn't like them, but I still think that was a lot more about the writing than the actors themselves. They both really look the part and I think with better writing, they could be very successful in the roles.

Daredevil would definitely be the easiest to slip over, the rumors of him being in NWH notwithstanding, he would work well in She-Hulk, Echo, anything Spider-Man, maybe even Fantastic 4. Jessica Jones could work in some of those as well, I think there were already rumors of her being in She-Hulk. I'd love a Heroes for Hire show with Luke and Danny and maybe Misty and/or Colleen. The moments in Luke Cage, Defenders and Iron Fist with the both of them together were the only times the characters actually felt right to me, so I'd love to see a whole show based around them.

I get that the impulse is to get Charlie in an MCU project ASAP but anything less than headlining a series or film would be a waste of his talents. 

go big or go home. Cox has a sizable fan following and if they throw him in as the lead it will get support.. make it happen Feige!!

On 12/6/2021 at 4:05 PM, RyanDaly said:

Um, the picture for this article on the homepage is not of Charlie Cox. That's Wilson Bethel playing Ben Poindexter impersonating Daredevil. 

I thought that as well!!

Really enjoyed Bethel as Bullseye/ Fake DD.  wilson’s portrayal was as understated as it was excellent. 

The writers really got the Bullseye dynamic. There was a scene at the newspaper office where Matt was kicking Bullseye’s (in the DD suit) butt in an up close fight. But then Bullseye created separation and thus distance and started using office supplies as weapons and turned the tide of the fight. Just excellent understanding of the characters.

be nice if they can pull Bethel back as well

On 12/6/2021 at 5:53 PM, McHogan said:

I thought that as well!!

Really enjoyed Bethel as Bullseye/ Fake DD.  wilson’s portrayal was as understated as it was excellent. 

The writers really got the Bullseye dynamic. There was a scene at the newspaper office where Matt was kicking Bullseye’s (in the DD suit) butt in an up close fight. But then Bullseye created separation and thus distance and started using office supplies as weapons and turned the tide of the fight. Just excellent understanding of the characters.

be nice if they can pull Bethel back as well

I hope they retain as much of the cast as possible. I only just finally watched season 3 this past week. I found the Netflix shows started strong and then the quality dipped and I stopped caring years ago (never even finished season 1 of Iron Fist or The Defenders). But the third season of Daredevil was astounding.

So yeah, by all means, bring back Elden Hanson as Foggy, Deborah Ann Woll as Karen, Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk, Wilson Bethel as Dex/Bullseye, and Matt Gerard as Melvin Potter/Gladiator. Give the latter two upgrades so we can see them in costumes.

I do believe the series reached a point of critical mass with the realistic grim urban vigilante. I think a Disney+ series or movie could take the same world of characters and lighten the tone a little bit. Inject more fun, swashbuckling man-without-fear into the world. Let Matt square off against some of his more colorful villains, like Leap-Frog, Mr. Fear, and Stiltman. Yes, Stitlman. Don't tell me he's too ridiculous for a universe that has Groot and WandaVision

On 12/6/2021 at 8:03 PM, icematta said:

Well, the leaked image let us know about that, but that being said...

But I have a question, are the Netflix series worth a rewatch or they are just going to ignore them???

I would not be surprised if Daredevil and his supporting cast and the Punisher are the only members of the Netflix group that Disney makes any effort to incorporate into the main MCU. They won't give the Punisher another show but maybe guest appearances or cameos. With Daredevil, they don't really have to acknowledge much of the Netflix series because of where season 3 left off: Matt and Foggy are lawyering again with Karen working for them. Kingpin may be in prison or may be out; we'll find out in Hawkeye, most likely. And a few villains like Bullseye and Gladiator are waiting in the wings, either of which could be recast although I hope not. 

I do not believe we will ever see the Danny Rand Iron Fist again. I believe Marvel made the changes to Shang-Chi's lore and powers so that he could essentially function as the Iron Fist of the MCU, and they can drop all the baggage of the Netflix series that most people didn't like, as well as the controversy over whitewashing a martial arts character. 

Jessica Jones was good... but do we really need more of her? Ehh... As for Luke Cage, I like the character and I would love to see more of him in the MCU, but I think he needs to be recast if they do. And is that worth the headache of the fans to even try? 

On 12/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, RyanDaly said:

"....Jessica Jones was good... but do we really need more of her? Ehh... As for Luke Cage...he needs to be recast if they do. And is that worth the headache of the fans to even try?"

I'd say Yes and Yes. Jessica, handled correctly, could easily do spots on any Daredevil project, the upcoming Moon Knight and/or She-Hulk, and I'd love to see her interact with SHIELD on the bigger screen. 

Mike Colter is a fine actor but he never really captured Luke Cage; part of that is because the Netflix Cage was a serene, neighborhood big brother type to everyone as opposed to the more in-your-face Cage from the comics. I don't know why they made him a preacher's son from Georgia, even worse, a sherriff/cop, but they did and he certainly wasn't that in the comics. I'm all for recasting and all for a Luke Cage who more closely resembles what he's supposed to be. I'd be concerened about continuity but they never affirmed that the Netflix 'verse as the same as the MCU one. 

On 12/7/2021 at 12:33 PM, SpiderS said:

This pretty much confirms rumors of DD in Spidey, Kingpin in Hawkeye and very likely She Hulk having Matt. I would love Marvel Knights movie or series that would  re establish all street level heroes in MCU. 

I thought the rumor was Jessica for She-Hulk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 10:06 AM, JohnF said:

My only objection to that is the Xbox exclusivity 😅. I'd prefer something available to everyone.

Normally that would be my stance as well. I despise Sony since my Everquest days, but have nothing against their game system users. After this little BS that Sony pulled with the Avengers game, all bets are off. I want to see MS crush them.

On 12/22/2021 at 2:34 AM, Evan_H said:

Normally that would be my stance as well. I despise Sony since my Everquest days, but have nothing against their game system users. After this little BS that Sony pulled with the Avengers game, all bets are off. I want to see MS crush them.

I see where you're coming from. No matter how you look at it, platform exclusive games is a pain in the ass.