Destin Daniel Cretton Signs Deal With Marvel Studios; Set For Disney+ MCU Series & 'Shang-Chi' Sequel

Outsiders

Filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton has signed into an exclusive multi-year overall deal with Disney companies Marvel Studios and Hulu’s Onyx Collective.

The 'Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' director are already in development with Marvel Studios on a new MCU series for Disney+ and will be returning to write and direct the previously rumored sequel to the 2021 release.  The deal also has Cretton developing TV projects for both Marvel Studios for Disney+ and Onyx Collective across all platforms, including Hulu. Maui-born Cretton will produce through a new production company he is launching with partner Asher Goldstein, named Family Owned. Together they will focus on building a slate of projects in film and TV that highlight the experiences of communities that have traditionally been overlooked by pop culture.

“Destin is a powerhouse storyteller with impeccable taste in material. As we continue to expand our roster, Destin’s unique voice will help usher in an exciting slate of content for our global audience,” said Tara Duncan, President, Freeform & Onyx Collective.

“Destin is an amazing collaborator who brought a unique perspective and skill to Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings. We had a fantastic time working together on the film and he has so many intriguing ideas for stories to bring to life on Disney+, so we’re thrilled to expand our relationship with him and can’t wait to get started,” said Kevin Feige, President, Marvel Studios and Chief Creative Officer, Marvel.

“Working on Shang-Chi with Kevin and the Marvel Studios team was one of the highlights of my life, and I couldn’t be more excited about Tara’s vision for Onyx Collective. I can’t wait to explore new stories and build new worlds with this community,” said Cretton.

Source: Deadline

Destin_Daniel_Cretton.jpg

On 12/7/2021 at 6:04 PM, Hogun said:

Can we bring back Leung Chiu-Wai for at least some flashbacks? I need more Leung Chiu-Wai in Sang-Chi. I am looking forward to seeing more Asian representation in the Marvel universe.

Agree completely. Leung Chiu-Wai was the best part of the film. Be a shame for him to be one and done. 

I liked the movie but it unfortunately put the kibosh on any hopes of a more grounded, espionaged themed format, that was more faithful to the 10 year run of the comic. Would've been nice to see Sir Denis (they'd have to alter his name a bit), Blackjack Tarr, Shockwave and Leiko Wu on the big screen. Who knows? Maybe someday....