Build-A-Wave Mega-thread

tarot

Hey, my fellow Plastic Addicts. With all the excitement of the Ant-man and The Wasp: Quantumania movie and yesterday’s Marvel Legends reveal, you may have forgot that there is another Marvel project coming next week, Wednesday 15th February, on Disney+. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. Yes, I know this is marketed toward young kids and we have no idea if it will be part of the MCU or not, but damn it, I want figure of them.

However, while Moon Girl or Moon Boy could be slotted into a wave, Devil D. is too big for the general market, so I thought why not do an Ideal Haslab. Yes, yes, I know Mattel released large dinosaurs for the Jurassic Park/World movies with lights and sounds and yes, I know they are fairly cheap. I also know that after the Ghost Rider, people may be reluctant to back any Haslab projects. But this is just for fun and probably never happen anyway. People need to start having fun with this hobby again. Too much negativity as of late.

For this I tried to tie all the characters today with the theme of Dinosaurs or reptiles except for two characters but they are both important to Devil D. I also tried to make the Tiers as obscure as possible who would have very little chance of being made into a regular figure in the main line.

Base set
For the base set, we of course have Devil D. This of course will be a whole new sculpt and if you push his head down or open his mouth he will roar. He will also come with Moon Girl, who is starring with him in the Animated series. This will mostly use teenage body but will be heavily re-sculpted to incorporate her unique design. Finally, the Base set will also come with Moon Boy. I was going to make this one of the Tier, but if I did, old school fans would be outraged. This would be a whole new sculpt as there is no other build they can or will be able to use with.

Tier 1
For the first Tier we have a member of the Runaways and another Dino, Old Lace. I decided to include her in this because while the human members have a good chance of being made, Old Lace would be harder to make in the main line and her unique design would ensure that this would only be used once. This will mostly be a shrunken down version of Devil D. with a new head, hands and feet.

Tier 2
Next up we have a character created for the Marvel Super-Hero Squad cartoon and later graduated of Avenger Academy, Reptil. The theme of the set is Dino so a character that can change part or all of his body into a dino would fit perfectly and the chances of him coming in the regular line is low. This would use the Amazing Spider-man build and will come with interchangeable hand and maybe legs, but that last part seems unlikely.

Tier 3
Finally, since the last tier is usually a swing and a miss for most Haslab projects, I thought I would throw in a really obscure version of my favourite character that has very little chance of being make, Spider-Lizard. Yes, we have the Lizard build, which can be used for this figure, and yes this can be used in a regular line but I thought it would be a nice inclusion for this.

Conclusion
Well, that is what I would include in a Haslab Devil Dino set.

01Devild.jpg

01moongirl.jpg

03moonboy.jpg

04oldlace.jpg

05Reptil.jpg

06spiderlizard.jpg

On 2/8/2023 at 6:31 PM, tarot said:

Hey, my fellow Plastic Addicts. With all the excitement of the Ant-man and The Wasp: Quantumania movie and yesterday’s Marvel Legends reveal, you may have forgot that there is another Marvel project coming next week, Wednesday 15th February, on Disney+. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. Yes, I know this is marketed toward young kids and we have no idea if it will be part of the MCU or not, but damn it, I want figure of them.

However, while Moon Girl or Moon Boy could be slotted into a wave, Devil D. is too big for the general market, so I thought why not do an Ideal Haslab. Yes, yes, I know Mattel released large dinosaurs for the Jurassic Park/World movies with lights and sounds and yes, I know they are fairly cheap. I also know that after the Ghost Rider, people may be reluctant to back any Haslab projects. But this is just for fun and probably never happen anyway. People need to start having fun with this hobby again. Too much negativity as of late.

For this I tried to tie all the characters today with the theme of Dinosaurs or reptiles except for two characters but they are both important to Devil D. I also tried to make the Tiers as obscure as possible who would have very little chance of being made into a regular figure in the main line.

Well, that is what I would include in a Haslab Devil Dino set.

01Devild.jpg

01moongirl.jpg

03moonboy.jpg

04oldlace.jpg

05Reptil.jpg

06spiderlizard.jpg

Not a bad idea, it wouldn't be for me. Still having Devil and three characters linked to him is really good.

• 3 months later...

The Theme for this wave: Cosmic

• Star-Lord - Of course I was going to include Star-Lord. He is the main character in the franchise but for this since we got his classic/ first appearance version (Yes, I know, I know), I thought it would be nice to have him in his more modern look, the one he used when they tried to sneak into the Collector's home. This would use the T'Challa Star-Lord with a new torso and head.
  • Gamora - For Gamora, I think instead of going classic we should go with the highly requested Armor Gamora that she wore during the relaunch of the comic after the movie launched. This would require a whole new sculpted and can be used for more characters later.
  • Drax - For Drax instead of deciding on a new version/costume, I think they should just remake the one that came in that Entertainment Earth box set. That used the horrid old Hyperion mold with the MCU legs. It was also too short for Drax. This remake should use the Hercules build (the modern version would be best) and a new head and forearms.
  • Adam Warlock - Since he is making his MCU debut, I had to include HIM, or Adam Warlock as you know him as. Since this is taking place on Counter-Earth and involves High Evolutionary, I thought it would be a nice idea for Hasbro to make his Cosmic Hero suit. This would use the Vulcan body mold with new shins and forearms.
  • Supergiant - Now that the MCU seems to be done with the Black Order, I thought it would be nice if Hasbro started making comic versions of the Thanos' worshippers. To make it fun (and to give us a character missing from the MCU) I thought it would be nice for the first character from them to be Supergiant. This would use the Angela build with a new torso and arms.
  • Air-Walker- For the next character, I thought it would be nice to add another Herald to the set and outside some characters that need a whole new sculpt (Stardust), there really are only two characters that would be easy for Hasbro to make. The one I picked is the more popular version, Air-Walker. This would use the Spider-Uk build with a new upper torso that would allow you to attach his flame wings.
  • Devos - I said that the movie didn't influence this wave but something else did, and that was Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur. In the second episode Devos made an appearance, and I instantly wanted him in this wave. You might think that the F4 would have been a better wave, but he is a cosmic villain. This would use the High Evolution mold with new parts.
  • BAF: Black Dwarf - For the BAF I said I would include another Black Order member and make the big guy of the group, Black Dwarf. (No. The BAF from the Infinity War is not a comic book version). This would mostly use a whole new sculpt that can later be used for other reptilian characters.

01blackdwarf.jpg

02starlord07b.jpg

03gamora04b.jpg

04drax01b.jpg

05adamwarlock.jpg

05supergiant.jpg

06airwalker.jpg

07devos.jpg

build-a-wave-GOTG Vol. 3 Wave.png

• 3 months later...
  1. Sub-Mariner (70s outfit; glossy blue-black, with bright yellow water wings, and maybe a Romita style "savage" Sub-Mariner look)
  2. Namorita (either bikini or one-piece is fine, long as its iridescent green scales like Namor's briefs...Shriek body mold should be fine for this. Oh and let the ponytail rotate)
  3. Triton (not the Green Goblin body...he needs a new mold, modified Vulcan and maybe a subtle wash on his scales?)
  4. Stingray (maybe a heavier weave, but soft goods like they used on Banshee, and wired enough to support the full wingspan)
  5. Marrina (cheated by not adding her to Alpha Flight so let's get her done; another green scales outfit, but this time give her the ribbon sleeves so she doesn't look like she's wearing Namorita's wardrobe...and remember, she's supposed to be 6')
  6. Attuma (big dude, 6'8'' so....)
  7. Tiger Shark (previous figure was just way too big, he's around Namor's ht and build (minus the fin) so probably Vulcan mold)

BAF: Griffin (from Byrne Namor series)

• 1 month later...

As for why I picked each. (Please Note that I won't be mentioning new head because that is obvious.):

• Loki - We start with the main character, Loki. We have had the Classic version done for him so this time I picked something more modern and highly requested by fans, his Agent of Asgard version. This would use the Gambit build with new lower legs and a new jacket overlay.
  • Enchantress - Well you saw the BAF, so you know that Amora had to be in this wave. Yes, we have had her before, but that figure is showing its age, especially those blasted heels. This would use the new Shriek body with a new upper torso and reusing the skirt piece from the previous version. Needs a new head as well.
  • Ravonna - Next we have a character that is returning for the second series that we haven't had a comic figure of Ravonna. With Kang being the big bad of the MV Saga, it would be nice to get a version of his love. Not only that but she was a major part of the Avengers storyline where she forced Dr. Druid to control the rest of the team. This would be a primarily new sculpt with removable hand spikes.
  • Iron Hammer - I wanted to include a Thor figure but I also didn't so I compromised and decided to pick a "new" character, Iron Hammer. Yeah Yeah, not a new character instead a character that was created when Thor and Iron Man merged together for the Infinity Warp saga. However, I know people have been asking for some character from this story arc for a while, so I decided to include this character. This would use a redone classic Iron Man armor with new parts.
  • Hogun the Grim- Next we have a character that someone had been asking so much he has driven us crazy by pretending he is this character, Hogun. This would be the start of the Warrior three and would use the Red Skull/Dormammu build with new lower arms, skirt piece and a new cape.
  • Thunderball - The last Thor based wave I started building the Wrecking Crew with Wrecker so for this one I said I would continue that with another member of the WC with Thunderball. This would use the Hercules build and MUST come with a new ball and chain (that can later be used with a new Absorbing Man).
  • BAF: Executioner- When it comes to Thor wave wishlists, the one that always is picked by fans is Executioner. We have his movie counterpart but the one in the comic is a much bigger character in both height and build. This used a whole new sculpt.

build-a-wave-Loki wave.png

• 2 months later...

Hey, my fellow Plastic Addicts. We are just under ten days away from the second season of the "What If...? Season 2" show so it's time for me to create an Ideal wave. I initially wanted to make it random What if characters from the comics, but it got too hard to decide what to include as there are too many. So instead, I decided to base it on a particular alternate universe but that proved hard to do as well. So, I narrowed it down to three popular universes, the MC2, Ultimate and 2099 universes, and let you decide which one I should base this wave on. The result ended in a tie between the Ultimate Universe and the MC2 universe (2099 wasn't far behind) so I used my tie-breaking privilege to have the MC2 universe win. Why? Because out of the three, it was the only one that spun off from a What if...? issue. 

In case you are wondering what the hell the MC2 universe is about, in this universe, Peter Parker and Mary Janes baby survived childbirth and grew up to become Spider-girl. After the success of that issue, she gained her own ongoing series that last over a 100 issue and had a good number of spin-off series that include many either children of the Prime universe heroes, successors of the mantle or older characters as well as brand new characters. 

For this wave, instead of making it a BAF wave (which would have included J2 as the BAF), I instead decided to make this a Retro style line of 6 characters. This is because back when Toybiz were chucking out as many 5inch lines as they could, they released a series called First Appearances that were basically 4 characters from this universe. So just think of this wave as if Hasbro was to do a retro style line using the Toybiz style card back. 

As always, the rules:

6-8 figures per wave. No more. No less.

Some version of the Title hero must be in it (Spider- Girl in this case)

1 or 2 Female per wave.

1 or 2 Villains per wave, but these could be female as well.

1 or 2 brand new character that has never been done before

1 or 2 remakes. The Remakes can also be new costumes as Like Classic Spider-man or Iron Spider.

Each wave most have a Theme ie Spider-man can include Street Level heroes or Iron Man can include Tech Heroes and villains.

The Theme for this wave: MC2 universe

Spider-girl

American Dream

Wild Thing

Mainframe

Darkdevil

The Buzz

As you can see, I picked the character that many people would think were just another version of Prime characters. I also didn't include Stinger in this wave because she techinically was included in the 2-pack with Astonishing Ant-man. (Yes, I know it was based on 616 version but the costume is the same). Also as you can see I have 3 ladies in the wave already so I wanted to even the wave out. As for why I picked them and how they can be made:

Spider-Girl - Yes I didn't include Stinger because she was made previously, but you can't do a MC2 wave without the character that essentially launched it, not to mention that the older figure is 8 years old. This of course will not be using the same mold, but instead a new fully articulated mold so you can get her into all sorts of Spidey poses.

American Dream - Next we have the Captain America of this universe with American Dream. The cousin of Sharon Carter that grew up idolizing Steve Rogers, she would join A-Next (this universe's Avengers) shortly after they formed. This will use the Shriek body with new forearms and shins. 

Wild Thing - The daughter of Wolverine and Elektra, this universe's answer to her father was also released in that retro line as well. This will use her "sister's", Laura, Wolverine costume with a new shoulder pad. The claws will be done by making them into swappable hands. 

Mainframe - The Iron man of this universe, Mainframe is an android that Tony Stark designed after he retire to continue his legacy. He would become a founder of A-Next and was the leader for many adventures. This would use a redesigned classic War Machine figure. 

Darkdevil - For the next character, I had to include Darkdevil. This has been a character that people have wanted for a long time and since he is involved with Mayday for a while, even leading team of New Warriors, he needed to be done. This will use the a retooled Vulcan mold and will come with 2 set of stick, one normal and the other glowing. 

The Buzz - For the final character, I wanted to to include a character I only learnt about while looking through the Ultimate Guide to Spider-man, the Buzz, Jonah's grandchild. Because of his skinny body, this will mostly use the pizza Spider-man body with some tweaks.

And that is what I would choose if I was in charge of making a wave based on this universe. What do you think and what would you change or include if you were in charge? 

01spidergirl.jpg

02americandream.jpg

03wildthing.jpg

04mainframe.jpg

05darkdevil.jpg

06buzz.jpg

On 12/13/2023 at 4:25 PM, tarot said:

Hey, my fellow Plastic Addicts. We are just under ten days away from the second season of the "What If...? Season 2" show so it's time for me to create an Ideal wave. I initially wanted to make it random What if characters from the comics, but it got too hard to decide what to include as there are too many. So instead, I decided to base it on a particular alternate universe but that proved hard to do as well. So, I narrowed it down to three popular universes, the MC2, Ultimate and 2099 universes, and let you decide which one I should base this wave on. The result ended in a tie between the Ultimate Universe and the MC2 universe (2099 wasn't far behind) so I used my tie-breaking privilege to have the MC2 universe win. Why? Because out of the three, it was the only one that spun off from a What if...? issue. 

In case you are wondering what the hell the MC2 universe is about, in this universe, Peter Parker and Mary Janes baby survived childbirth and grew up to become Spider-girl. After the success of that issue, she gained her own ongoing series that last over a 100 issue and had a good number of spin-off series that include many either children of the Prime universe heroes, successors of the mantle or older characters as well as brand new characters. 

For this wave, instead of making it a BAF wave (which would have included J2 as the BAF), I instead decided to make this a Retro style line of 6 characters. This is because back when Toybiz were chucking out as many 5inch lines as they could, they released a series called First Appearances that were basically 4 characters from this universe. So just think of this wave as if Hasbro was to do a retro style line using the Toybiz style card back. 

As always, the rules:

6-8 figures per wave. No more. No less.

Some version of the Title hero must be in it (Spider- Girl in this case)

1 or 2 Female per wave.

1 or 2 Villains per wave, but these could be female as well.

1 or 2 brand new character that has never been done before

1 or 2 remakes. The Remakes can also be new costumes as Like Classic Spider-man or Iron Spider.

Each wave most have a Theme ie Spider-man can include Street Level heroes or Iron Man can include Tech Heroes and villains.

The Theme for this wave: MC2 universe

Spider-girl

American Dream

Wild Thing

Mainframe

Darkdevil

The Buzz

As you can see, I picked the character that many people would think were just another version of Prime characters. I also didn't include Stinger in this wave because she techinically was included in the 2-pack with Astonishing Ant-man. (Yes, I know it was based on 616 version but the costume is the same). Also as you can see I have 3 ladies in the wave already so I wanted to even the wave out. As for why I picked them and how they can be made:

Spider-Girl - Yes I didn't include Stinger because she was made previously, but you can't do a MC2 wave without the character that essentially launched it, not to mention that the older figure is 8 years old. This of course will not be using the same mold, but instead a new fully articulated mold so you can get her into all sorts of Spidey poses.

American Dream - Next we have the Captain America of this universe with American Dream. The cousin of Sharon Carter that grew up idolizing Steve Rogers, she would join A-Next (this universe's Avengers) shortly after they formed. This will use the Shriek body with new forearms and shins. 

Wild Thing - The daughter of Wolverine and Elektra, this universe's answer to her father was also released in that retro line as well. This will use her "sister's", Laura, Wolverine costume with a new shoulder pad. The claws will be done by making them into swappable hands. 

Mainframe - The Iron man of this universe, Mainframe is an android that Tony Stark designed after he retire to continue his legacy. He would become a founder of A-Next and was the leader for many adventures. This would use a redesigned classic War Machine figure. 

Darkdevil - For the next character, I had to include Darkdevil. This has been a character that people have wanted for a long time and since he is involved with Mayday for a while, even leading team of New Warriors, he needed to be done. This will use the a retooled Vulcan mold and will come with 2 set of stick, one normal and the other glowing. 

The Buzz - For the final character, I wanted to to include a character I only learnt about while looking through the Ultimate Guide to Spider-man, the Buzz, Jonah's grandchild. Because of his skinny body, this will mostly use the pizza Spider-man body with some tweaks.

And that is what I would choose if I was in charge of making a wave based on this universe. What do you think and what would you change or include if you were in charge? 

01spidergirl.jpg

02americandream.jpg

03wildthing.jpg

04mainframe.jpg

05darkdevil.jpg

06buzz.jpg

I really like the wave. I would probably have added Green Goblin and I would think J2 could be a possible BAF

• 1 month later...

Hey, my fellow Plastic Addicts. During Rektangular's latest leak, he said that we were getting some sort of assortment that was based on the Strange Tales comic title. However, he never mentioned if it was a wave, 2-pack, or box set. So when I researching this, I had nearly 50 character I believe could be made into this assortment. So I thought instead of making this a wave, I make a series of 2-pack instead.

Before we get another, I should go over how I came about picking these character out of all the character from this title. First, I only picked characters from #101 on. Yes, there are some characters from the first 100 issues but the majority of them were one off characters. It was from #101 that the title went from being just some random sci-fi/horror title to a super-hero comic.

Next I got excluded the gigantic characters. This is the likes of Eternity and Living Tribunal. It's not that I don't want them but if those 2 particular character aren't the same size or bigger then the Haslab Galactus then I know people will be angry. I also tried to include at least one set from each period of the comic. However, I could only pick six sets so this was very hard to create, which is why it has taken so long to create this after I asked you if you wanted me to do this.

Now onto the sets start with:

Human Torch VS Wizard

01humantorch.jpg?w=240
01wizard.jpg?w=240

We start off with the character that started moving the comic series into the super-hero genre, the Human Torch. Now we have had many Johnny Storms over the years but for this version I want his classic flame on version and let me say this cleary, that is NOT translutent! This will use the Amazing Fantasty body mold, since he was much longer. It should also have NO F4 symbol and come with a Jim Hammond head. As for his pack mate, I think the Wizard is the ideal character to join him. He may have become a Mr. Fantastic villain but when he was starting out he was just jealous of Human Torch's fame. I'm not sure which mold this could use so let me know which you think will work for this.

First Appearance Dr. Strange and Wong

02drstrange.jpg?w=400
02wong.jpg?w=400

You can't talk about Strange Tales without talking about the character it helped creates, the Sorcerer Supreme, Dr. Strange. But for this version, he is not the Sorcerer Supreme just yet. For this set I think it will be better to make it based on his original appearance, where is has no cape. This of course will use the Classic Strange mold without the cape and a new head. Joining him and I struggled really hard on this, I decided to include Wong. Yes, i could have included many other characters like Mordo, but I think for this assortment, Wong is the best choice. This will use the Hand mold with a new overlay and sleeves.

Nick Fury and Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine

03nickfury.jpg?w=400
03contessa.jpg?w=400

During the next period of the comic, Human Torch (and the Thing) were out and Nick Fury and SHIELD were in. Yes I know there is a rumor for Nick for be in a 3-pack with Dum Dum and Sharon Carter, I think they are just all in the standard SHIELD uniform. In the original SHIELD comics, Nick wore a blue business suit so i wanted to make that instead. This will us the Happy Hogan mold. Joining him we have Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine (I'm not saying that name again). I DO think that Val may be a swappable head for Carter in the 3-pack but until then here she is. This will use the same mold as Maria Hill/Quake.

Brother Voodoo and Black Talon

04brothervoodoo.jpg?w=400
04black-talon.jpg?w=400

After a few years of Hiatus, Strange Tales returned with a brand new mystic character in the form of Brother Voodoo. For this I think his original appearance would be a new addition to many collections. This would use the Vulcan body mold with added parts. Joining him we have Black Talon, a voodoo villain. I thought to include this as he has been appearing in Deadpool comics for a while now (not the same person as about but they wear the same costume). This will use the Spider-Uk mold with new forearms and legs.

Adam Warlock and Gamora

05warlock.jpg?w=400
05gamora.jpg?w=400

The next period of Strange Tale, they went into space with Adam Warlock taking over the comic. I picked the version above as it when he truly became the character we know today (and not what was portrayed in the GOTG 3 movie). This would use the Vulcan mold. If they want to include the cape or not is up to them. For his pack-mate, I decided on Gamora in her original costume. yes I could have included Pip or Magus but I think the appeal of Gamora would work better for this set. This would use the Shriek body mold.

Cloak and Dagger

06cloakanddagger.jpg

For the final set, we jump to volume 2 of the series where Cloak and Dagger joined Dr. Strange in sharing the comic. Cloak will be pretty much the same as before (Maybe a new head) but Dagger should get a remake with the Shriek body mold.

And that is what i think should be include in this rumored Strange Tales. Yes I could have included some characters from later volumes but then I would be here alot longer deciding which characters should be included. Let me know what you think in the comments below or on any of the social media sites.