Jump to content

Chris Claremont Returns To The X-Men In New Series


JayC
 Share

Recommended Posts

The problem is that he kind of does suck now. His original runs on X-Men, New Mutants, etc. were the stuff of legend, but his recent work has been, not just awful, but some of the worst material Marvel has released in recent memory. It's a bummer, because 90% of everything I love in comic books came from his brain, but he just doesn't have it anymore. I think maybe the rapid changeover on titles in comics these days just doesn't play to his strengths maybe? Or maybe he just doesn't care as much because of the short-term prospects of the job? When he had years and years and years to revisit dangling plot threads and slowly weave an intricate but elegant tapestry, he was unstoppable, but I think trying to get him to focus on (or care about) what he likely knows is going to be no more than a one-year gig is just a losing battle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/19/2021 at 3:12 AM, Benn said:

The problem is that he kind of does suck now. His original runs on X-Men, New Mutants, etc. were the stuff of legend, but his recent work has been, not just awful, but some of the worst material Marvel has released in recent memory. It's a bummer, because 90% of everything I love in comic books came from his brain, but he just doesn't have it anymore. I think maybe the rapid changeover on titles in comics these days just doesn't play to his strengths maybe? Or maybe he just doesn't care as much because of the short-term prospects of the job? When he had years and years and years to revisit dangling plot threads and slowly weave an intricate but elegant tapestry, he was unstoppable, but I think trying to get him to focus on (or care about) what he likely knows is going to be no more than a one-year gig is just a losing battle.

The X-Men has changed so much since he did it, he can't keep up and he doesn't want to. He prefers to write the characters he likes, the way he wants without it being impacted too much by continuity. I enjoyed his Nightcrawler series he did a while back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2021 at 9:12 PM, Benn said:

The problem is that he kind of does suck now. His original runs on X-Men, New Mutants, etc. were the stuff of legend, but his recent work has been, not just awful, but some of the worst material Marvel has released in recent memory. It's a bummer, because 90% of everything I love in comic books came from his brain, but he just doesn't have it anymore. I think maybe the rapid changeover on titles in comics these days just doesn't play to his strengths maybe? Or maybe he just doesn't care as much because of the short-term prospects of the job? When he had years and years and years to revisit dangling plot threads and slowly weave an intricate but elegant tapestry, he was unstoppable, but I think trying to get him to focus on (or care about) what he likely knows is going to be no more than a one-year gig is just a losing battle.

 

On 12/19/2021 at 2:37 AM, leokearon said:

The X-Men has changed so much since he did it, he can't keep up and he doesn't want to. He prefers to write the characters he likes, the way he wants without it being impacted too much by continuity. I enjoyed his Nightcrawler series he did a while back.

Yes, and he has expressed it as such. He'd like to go back to his old story telling style but so much has changed and he's not one of those writers that's prone to doing these mass over arching changes to characters to retcon things from the past so he just tries to work with what he's given. That coupled with newer and modern guidelines administered by Marvel/Disney only allows him to be a fraction of the writer he used to be. Still, a fraction of Claremont is still better than 90 percent of the modern hacks they have today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/20/2021 at 3:46 PM, monron999 said:

 

Yes, and he has expressed it as such. He'd like to go back to his old story telling style but so much has changed and he's not one of those writers that's prone to doing these mass over arching changes to characters to retcon things from the past so he just tries to work with what he's given. That coupled with newer and modern guidelines administered by Marvel/Disney only allows him to be a fraction of the writer he used to be. Still, a fraction of Claremont is still better than 90 percent of the modern hacks they have today.

Too true, at least Claremont knows his characters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
The legend returns! Chris Claremont, the writer who defined the X-Men and crafted the franchise’s most influential stories, is back with a brand-new X-Men saga starring one his most popular co-creations—GAMBIT! Featuring artwork by rising star Sid Kotian, GAMBIT will be a five-issue limited series that invites fans back to the exciting time when Gambit and a de-aged Storm forged an everlasting bond as they thieved their way along the Mississippi River!

The series will unearth a wide range of previously untold adventures, from a brush with the Shadow King to an array of earthbound and out of this world escapades, that gives Claremont a chance to further explore Gambit’s path to becoming a heroic X-Man as well as reveal new insights into another trademark character of his, Storm, at a pivotal moment in her history. Get your first look at this story of action, intrigue and revenge in new interior artwork and variant covers by all-star artists Salvador Larroca, Peach Momoko, Scott Williams, and InHyuk Lee!

When asked why he chose to revisit this specific era, Claremont told AiPT Comics: “Because I considered it somewhere that provided the opportunity for a whole-lotta-fun to be had by all involved. Think about it: who notices kids? The way Remy dresses, not to mention his great body and gorgeous looks, most of the time all eyes turn towards him. [Kid] ‘Ro remains functionally invisible. Target looks to Remy, ‘Ro picks his pocket. But the true reason, frankly, is that the story turned out to be a whole lot more fun this way.

Get charged up for this long-awaited X-Saga when GAMBIT #1 hits stands on July 27!

GAMBIT #1 (OF 5)
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT
Art by SID KOTIAN
Colors by ESPEN GRUNDETGERN
Letters by VC’s CLAYTON COWLES
Cover by WHILCE PORTACIO & ALEX SINCLAIR - 75960620175400111
Variant Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA & EDGAR DELGADO - 75960620175400141
Variant Cover by INHYUK LEE - 75960620175400131
Variant Cover by PEACH MOMOKO – 75960620175400151
Virgin Variant Cover by PEACH MOMOKO - 75960620175400161
Variant Cover by SCOTT WILLIAMS & SEBASTIAN CHENG - 75960620175400121
On Sale 7/27

GAMBIT2021001_Cover.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_InteriorArt1.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_InteriorArt2.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_InteriorArt3.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_InteriorArt4.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_Larroca.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_Lee.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_Momoko.jpg

GAMBIT2022001_Williams.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...







Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE