Marvel Legends Retro 3.75" Wave 5 Fully Revealed

JayC

Hasbro revealed most of the 5th wave of 3.75" Marvel Legends Retro figures back in October with Venom, Mr. Fantastic and Classic Falcon. Originally the remaining two figures for this wave listed had been Wolverine and Hulk, but it turns out the final two figures are Brown Costume Wolverine and Dark Phoenix. These are repaints of the two Pulse exclusive figures they also solicited back in October. Look for pre-orders for this entire wave to go up soon everywhere that carries these.

Retro-2022-00.jpg

Retro-2022-01.jpg

Retro-2022-02.jpg

Retro-2022-03.jpg

Retro-2022-05.jpg

Retro-2022-06.jpg

Retro-2022-07.jpg

Retro-2022-08.jpg

Retro-2022-04.jpg

Retro-2022-09.jpg

On 12/20/2021 at 7:43 AM, leokearon said:

So this Falcon comes with Redwing but the 6 inch version can't...

The 6" version we have now (Avengers/ Joe fixit  wave) and the one coming up aren't his classic outfit. Most likely when they do make his classic suit, Redwing will come with him.

I know there are some that say his wings are already his accessory, so Hasbo won't spend money to add Redwing too, but Shang-Chi came with 2 nunchuks and what, 4 sets of hands??  Way back, Chameleon had 3 weapons, 3 different heads. Dr. Strange is going to have effects, an axe, a wand and hands (and an alt head). Katy had a bow & arrow, a quiver, hands and a di jang creature. So I don't see why we can't get Redwing to go with classic Falcon. 

Personally I don't see the appeal to this 3.75" Retro line as it doesn't have anywhere near the articulation that Marvel Universe had. This Falcon, though, would look great on my desktop at work. Seriously thinking about it....

On 12/20/2021 at 7:32 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

Falcon and Venom for me. Now if we could get a legend in the same vein as that Falcon I'll shut up. 

I can't wait for that classic outfit in 6" to appear. And I do remember the team saying he was on the way. The current figure is just fantastic for flying poses.

Only thing is, Falcon's supposed to be 6'2" and this mold is the same one used for Sunfire, Shang-Chi, Spider-Man, Human Torch (all around 5' 10" or so), so he needs to be bigger. Also I really hope they use stylized "beak" mask ornament from this retro figure on the classic one. The current style is ok, but Sal Buscema's rendition was best; besides, it was a marked transiton from the one he wore before he got his wings.

Still though, at least they haven't done the Falcon's head gear the way Kirby did. He was lazy AF, and just made it a plain diamond shape  lol

On 12/20/2021 at 9:14 PM, Atlantis said:

I can't wait for that classic outfit in 6" to appear. And I do remember the team saying he was on the way. The current figure is just fantastic for flying poses.

Only thing is, Falcon's supposed to be 6'2" and this mold is the same one used for Sunfire, Shang-Chi, Spider-Man, Human Torch (all around 5' 10" or so), so he needs to be bigger. Also I really hope they use stylized "beak" mask ornament from this retro figure on the classic one. The current style is ok, but Sal Buscema's rendition was best; besides, it was a marked transiton from the one he wore before he got his wings.

Still though, at least they haven't done the Falcon's head gear the way Kirby did. He was lazy AF, and just made it a plain diamond shape  lol

I wish they would use a bigger body as well. I love that the Sunfire buck has the butterfly joint which makes flight poses an absolute thrill but Sam is a big guy. Sal always drew Falc and Cap the same size which made Sam all the more imposing even in the bird gear. I hope they get it right when the time comes but I expect the same exact figure with just an old school paint app and maybe a redwing slapped in there but I don't have high hopes for that either.

On 12/21/2021 at 4:38 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

"I wish they would use a bigger body as well. I love that the Sunfire buck has the butterfly joint which makes flight poses an absolute thrill...but I expect the same exact figure with just an old school paint app and maybe a redwing slapped in there..."

This is what I've been saying: their "super articulated" buck needs to have different versions. If they wanna make 'em pinless, fine, but that's not as important to me as having a wider variety of body types that have that same "super articulation". In fact that should be the standard level of articulation for all the figures- whether they're supposed to be representing characters that are 5'10" (and just under), 6' 0" and above, and also 7' 0" and above, and females as well. 

On 12/21/2021 at 4:38 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

"I wish they would use a bigger body as well...but Sam is a big guy. Sal always drew Falc and Cap the same size which made Sam all the more imposing even in the bird gear..."

Just a side note: when Spidey first met Falcon (way back when he wore his green/orange outfit), even he noted just how big the Falcon is. Gene Colan and John Romita drew him that way as well.

Love that super articulated buck but the Vision, Silver Surfer and Moon Knight should also be on bigger versions.

Happy meal garbage. Here’s hoping the reduction from 6 figures to 5 means the line is about to end. I mean, when they decided to kill the amazing Marvel universe line they started losing articulation and better paint apps. But you’d never notice since these “toys “ have next to no articulation anyway. 

On 12/21/2021 at 1:18 PM, Atlantis said:

This is what I've been saying: their "super articulated" buck needs to have different versions. If they wanna make 'em pinless, fine, but that's not as important to me as having a wider variety of body types that have that same "super articulation". In fact that should be the standard level of articulation for all the figures- whether they're supposed to be representing characters that are 5'10" (and just under), 6' 0" and above, and also 7' 0" and above, and females as well. 

On 12/21/2021 at 1:56 PM, Atlantis said:

Just a side note: when Spidey first met Falcon (way back when he wore his green/orange outfit), even he noted just how big the Falcon is. Gene Colan and John Romita drew him that way as well.

Love that super articulated buck but the Vision, Silver Surfer and Moon Knight should also be on bigger versions.

All of this is absolutely correct. I can't agree more that there should be a standard amount of articulation regardless of how big or small the character. If 80th Hulk can have all that why can't the others?

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2021 at 7:38 AM, sentinelofliberty41 said:

I wish they would use a bigger body as well. I love that the Sunfire buck has the butterfly joint which makes flight poses an absolute thrill but Sam is a big guy. Sal always drew Falc and Cap the same size which made Sam all the more imposing even in the bird gear. I hope they get it right when the time comes but I expect the same exact figure with just an old school paint app and maybe a redwing slapped in there but I don't have high hopes for that either.

Yes, as good as it looks and operates, the Sunfire buck has been the most frustrating buck in the ML line. It was good for figures like Sunfire and Spidey 2099, but then they just started using it as an all encompassing cover all for any figure they thought needed butterfly joints. From the 6'2", 250 lb. Falcon and the 6'4" Silver Surfer to the 5'10", 150lb. Pyro, this thing has been severely misused. I'm glad they redid the Bucky Cap buck, but at least most the figures that had been done with it were in correct scale. If they're gonna do butterfly joints in every scale they need to get on a Reaper buck size mold ASAP, cuz as far as I'm concerned characters like Falcon and Surfer have not been done correctly even once even though they both have multiple figures. And why the hell they used the Sunfire buck for Pyro is just baffling. The Pizza Spidey buck has butterfly joints and it is the proper size. They have guys like Jesse Falcon (what a coincidence) that are supposed to be on top of stuff like this. Are they asleep at the wheel or what?

Back on point though. These are crap. I know the Retro fad is the thing now, but these aren't even retro. They are a complete regression. The point of retro is to bring back classic looking product by modern means. This is just cheap and useless for anything unless it's just to hang on the wall. I blame Funko and Super7, but only slightly. The point of the ReAction figures was to get figures out that would probably have no chance of getting out in any other form. It was funny and quirky and unique. Now it's just over played and lame. I, for the life of me, can't even understand how the pushers at Hasbro got the retailers to get in on this. What was their angle? "Hey, you know how popular Marvel Legends is right? And remember when we did a 3.75 inch scale line of the same characters with articulation, sculpting and detail that was really good for that scale? Well, have we got something for you. We just took all that crap out. Minimal articulation, detail, sculpting and paint. And they're even more expensive to boot. Why would anyone want a superior product when we can just put this crap in a retro box and sell sentimental value? Sure they'll probably sit on the pegs and shelves for months upon months and sale (probably not) for a fraction of the MSRP, but let's not dwell on the minutia. So whaddayasay? How many can we sign you up for?"

Eh, being old enough to have grown up with the Secret Wars toys in the ‘80s, these hit a sweet tooth of nostalgia for me. Yeah, they are not up to modern figure standards, but they certainly match that old line, perfectly, and I can display my vintage Dr. Doom (with cycle!) and Wolverine with these. 

My biggest gripe is the dang price! Make these $5, and I’d buy all of em. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:21 PM, DrRobert said:

My biggest gripe is the dang price! Make these $5, and I’d buy all of em. 

This right here. I know they're more decoration than toy so if they were a lower price point I'd grab a bunch and slap them all over my office. Its the same reason I don't collect anything from the ReAction line. Just too high for pretty art and a figure that isn't meant to be played with.

• 3 weeks later...

It's fun watching some people foam at the mouth with rage at this line. I'm not offended by them. I think they are fine for what they are, appetizers for in between the regular waves. Yeah I'd like to see them drop in price as well, but I only pick up the X-Men and there's usually just 1-2 per wave  so hardly breaking the bank. I'm not expecting anything grand from this line, they just look good hanging on the wall above my X-Men display. I think it was Ryan who said this was a line where you just pick up your favorite character(s) in, no fomo with these.