A Mutant Legend Is Reborn In Giant-Size X-Men: Thunderbird

JayC

In yesterday’s dramatic conclusion of Leah Williams and Lucas Werneck’s X-MEN: TRIAL OF MAGNETO limited series, fans witnessed the stunning resurrection of a legendary hero in the X-Men mythos—John Proudstar AKA Thunderbird! The first X-Man to die in action, Thunderbird’s time on the X-Men may have been brief but his impact was mighty, and now his long-awaited return to the Marvel Universe will be explored this April in GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD #1. This mega-sized one-shot will mark the exciting Marvel Comics debut of All Elite Wrestling superstar Nyla Rose who will team up with comics star Steve Orlando and First Nations artist David Cutler. Together the trio will grapple with the ramifications of Thunderbird’s recent resurrection while setting him up for a bright future on Krakoa and beyond.

The world John Proudstar has returned to is completely different from the one he once knew. Looking to find refuge in the familiar, Thunderbird seeks out someone from his past at an Apache reservation…and uncovers a horrifying threat to the Indigenous mutant community. Will Thunderbird be able to save his people? Or will his justified rage lead him astray?

“At last, the news is out! GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD is coming, and I couldn't be prouder to be a part of it! But this book wouldn't exist without the incredible work of Nyla Rose and David Cutler, who are joining me on this blockbuster to tell a Thunderbird story that's as raw, real, and riveting as possible,” Orlando said. “With their invaluable help, we're taking Thunderbird on a two-fisted quest to reunite with his family and carve out a place for himself in this brave, new, Krakoan era. The world has changed while Thunderbird was away. The threats might've gotten more complex, but Thunderbird's still sure there's not a problem out there he can't solve with his own two hands.

Check out the main cover by Ken Lashley, Thunderbird’s new costume design by David Cutler, and be there for the beginning of Thunderbird’s next chapter when GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD #1 arrives on April 27.

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN: THUNDERBIRD #1
Written by NYLA ROSE & STEVE ORLANDO
Art by DAVID CUTLER
Cover by KEN LASHLEY
Design Variant Cover by DAVID CUTLER
On Sale 4/27

GSXMENTBIRD2022001_cvr.jpg

GSXMENTBIRD2022001_design_var.jpg

Okay the new costume is a crime, like why is the jacket covering his logo on his belt and dumb that his logo isn’t plain on his jacket, and why that shade of green. Should’ve kept his original look. 

I don't hate the new look, but it follows the trend of modern comic costumes that I despise. They almost try too hard to make it look realistic, or believable. The weird trend of characters in hoodies is annoying, and needs to go. Either over-designed, weird mash up of MCU style and comic style or stuff like this; yuck.

These are comic books, let them just wear dorky spandex (T-bird's original costume was already perfect). I do like his new haircut though, it sets him apart more from his brother.

Not a fan of the cover, it's almost 90s bad (though the art itself is actually good!).

Either way, I'll read this, love me some X-Men

On 12/28/2021 at 7:42 PM, SpiderS said:

I dunno why they are doing this, it kinda one of the earliest death that plays significant role no on Gwen Stacy level but important enough yet at the same time it’s been soo long since that no one cares anymore for legacy. 

Just in my opinion, Gwen's death has meant next to nothing since Spider-Gwen entered the 616

On 12/29/2021 at 11:13 AM, Emnems80 said:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the new costume.

A side note. Is Thunderbird technically still the first X-Man to die? Didn't Deadly Genesis change that?

Technically Changeling was the first X-Man to die when he posed as Xavier. Yeah Petra and Sway died before Thunderbird thanks to Deadly Genesis

On 12/29/2021 at 3:36 AM, leokearon said:

Technically Changeling was the first X-Man to die when he posed as Xavier. Yeah Petra and Sway died before Thunderbird thanks to Deadly Genesis

That's what I thought. I still need to go back and actually read the Deadly Genesis story. Especially since we're about to get Vulcan and Darwin.

On 12/29/2021 at 12:07 PM, Emnems80 said:

That's what I thought. I still need to go back and actually read the Deadly Genesis story. Especially since we're about to get Vulcan and Darwin.

To be honest, it's a bad story which really didn't need to be told.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:08 AM, Dabboi said:

Just in my opinion, Gwen's death has meant next to nothing since Spider-Gwen entered the 616

In a way yes but also Spider Gwen is Gwen Stacy in name only she is very different character that has very little in common with original Gwen, especially when you consider considerable age gap between her and 616 Peter which puts them in whole different dynamics that cannot replicate or even be reminiscent of original Peter Gwen relationships even if Spider-Gwen was identical to 616 version.

On 12/28/2021 at 8:08 PM, Dabboi said:

I would say since Sins Past 

On 12/30/2021 at 10:42 PM, Emnems80 said:

Well that's a disappointment. I was going to read it and hopefully give me more reason to have that team in figure form.

You can read it if you want to learn more about Vulcan and Darwin but I'm just warning you in advance. Of course you might enjoy it.