Marvel Teases Judgement Day Coming In 2022

JayC

On 12/28/2021 at 8:39 AM, leokearon said:

The info from Gillen seems to suggest another Hero Vs Hero fight.. which would be boring

Boring if not well motivated - I totally agree. If there is a solid motivation for the conflict, then I would be all in, but sadly I feel a lot of comics are rushed, so they don't spend the time working that stuff out... and they recycle a lot, without doing enough to make it fresh and new.

On 12/28/2021 at 3:16 PM, Psychosomatic said:

Boring if not well motivated - I totally agree. If there is a solid motivation for the conflict, then I would be all in, but sadly I feel a lot of comics are rushed, so they don't spend the time working that stuff out... and they recycle a lot, without doing enough to make it fresh and new.

This thing is coming in 2022 and the root of the conflict (or at least one of the roots) has been established already. Ajak is very much unhappy with the Avengers using the corpse of a Celestial as their current base of operations.

This is interesting. Never expected all 3 of these groups to have a big interaction together but I’m open to it. But like ADour said it’s possibly because the avengers are using a celestial as their HQ now so this’ll be a fight to watch go down. Hopefully this’ll be a good excuse for Hasbro to give us comic renditions of the externals?? Hopefully.

On 12/28/2021 at 6:16 PM, Psychosomatic said:

It's seems to be yet another hero vs hero event, which are tiresome, so the motivation doesn't matter to me.

• 1 month later...
The next Marvel Comics epic is here! From the brilliant mind of superstar writer Kieron Gillen and the incredible talents of acclaimed artist Valerio Schiti comes JUDGMENT DAY, a Marvel Universe spanning event launching in July.

Already redefining the Eternals mythos in ETERNALS, and soon to be shepherding in the next age of mutantkind in IMMORTAL X-MEN, Gillen will take his work on both titles as well as recent storylines in Jason Aaron and Javier Garron’s AVENGERS run for an odyssey that will usher in dramatic developments for these three core Marvel teams. And Schiti, already proven to be a masterful event storyteller in books like EMPYRE and INFERNO, will deliver the breathtaking action and high-stakes thrills that transpire when Super Hero titans clash. Together, these iconic creators have crafted an intense saga that’s destined to take its place among the most impactful events in Marvel Comics history.

The X-Men have achieved immortality and mutants have taken their place as the dominant species on the planet. The Eternals have discovered long hidden knowledge about their species, including a devastating truth about mutantkind. The Avengers have come into direct conflict with the Celestials and are currently using a fallen Celestial as their base of operations, slowly unlocking its secrets… When the Eternals brazenly target the mutant nation of Krakoa, the Avengers try desperately to de-escalate a potentially apocalyptic war. But this is no simple conflict. The Eternals’ purpose cannot be denied and mutantkind’s future will not be threatened. And after the opening battles, new players and revelations for both sides will emerge as the inhabitants of the Marvel Universe are JUDGED by the greatest power they’ve ever come into contact with.

“There's a classic metaphor to describe the Marvel Universe - a toybox, which creators take toys out of, play with and put back. I get it, but it's never quite how I've seen it - I think ‘play’ in another way. I think of a music shop, with all these instruments with their different qualities suggesting different songs, different stories,” Gillen explained. “For all the Marvel instruments I've played, I've never written an event. Writing an event is something different. It's not like playing an instrument. It's having all the instruments in the Marvel music shop. That's not like writing a song. That's like writing a symphony.

“I looked at everything in ETERNALS and IMMORTAL X-MEN and everything else all the X and Avengers writers have done and thought... yeah, this is an event. In fact, an event is the only way to do justice to this. The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson described the music he was reaching for as Teenage Symphonies to God. I think that's what the best Marvel Events aspire to be, and it's what we're aspiring to here. I want the scale. I want the heartbreak . I want a book that wears its heart on its sleeve even as it puts a fist in your face. I want something Wagnerian in its volume as emotional as God Only Knows.

“It is great to have the opportunity to draw another Marvel event after Empyre,” Schiti added. “The difference is that last time I was just excited, but now I know how high the expectations are, so now I am both excited and a bit scared! Luckily for me I have the great Kieron Gillen and Marte Gracia watching my back and together we can face any cosmic threat!

Be sure to pick up FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1 on May 7 for your first taste of the action. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for more information, including cover reveals, and witness the buildup to JUDGMENT DAY in upcoming issues of ETERNALS, IMMORTAL X-MEN, X-MEN, and AVENGERS.

Judgement-Day.jpg

Gillen is a very solid writer and I've heard good things about his Eternals, so I'm optimistic. I'm also pumped to see Valerio Schiti doing a story like this again, mostly so I can see him draw Tony Stark again. And speaking of favorited artists, I hope Dustin Weaver does the covers for this event and not just this one promotional image.

The villains of Marvel (with a few notable exceptions) have been nerfed so hard over the past two decades that all we are left with are hero vs hero fights. Traditional villains who used to give the horse an issue or two worth of trouble are now dispatched in single panels. Only Spider-Man still does regular comic book costumed criminal stories any more, and I think that’s why I still love to read them.

Marvel Comics will celebrate Free Comic Book Day this year with THREE separate Free Comic one-shots including FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1. Packed with three stories, FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN will offer fans new and old an exciting entry point into some of Marvel’s biggest upcoming stories and characters!

Announced earlier today, the next Marvel Comics event will arrive this summer! Written by Kieron Gillen with art by Valerio Schiti, JUDGMENT DAY will see the Avengers try desperately to avert a war between the Eternals and the X-Men. Fans will get their first glimpse at the conflict in FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN with a prelude story by Gillen and artist Dustin Weaver.

Also coming this summer will be the X-Men’s second annual HELLFIRE GALA! Last year, mutantkind terraformed Mars and announced a new team of X-Men… what do they have in store for the Marvel Universe this time around? Find out in a lead-in story by X-MEN scribe Gerry Duggan and artist Matteo Lolli!

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1 will also mark the exciting debut of a new hero that Marvel has big plans for this year! Meet BLOODLINE in an introduction story by writer Danny Lore and artist Karen Darboe!

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1 will be available through Penguin Random House and Diamond Comics. Check with your local comic shop regarding availability.

Pick up this extraordinary FREE COMIC BOOK DAY one-shot when it arrives on May 7!

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1
Written by KIERON GILLEN, GERRY DUGGAN & DANNY LORE
Art by DUSTIN WEAVER, MATTEO LOLLI & KAREN DARBOE
Cover by VALERIO SCHITI - 75960620374100111
Variant Cover[1:1000] by PEACH MOMOKO - 75960620374100121

FCBDAVENXMEN2022001_Cover.jpg

FCBDAVENXMEN2022001_Momoko-variant.jpg

On 12/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, leokearon said:

It's seems to be yet another hero vs hero event, which are tiresome, so the motivation doesn't matter to me.

Plus it feels like one of these teams is literally being forced down our throats based on the popularity and recognition of the other two. I'll leave everyone to their own devices to decide which one that is. Not something I'm gonna spend my money on (or anything Marvel these days), but I'll take a free copy.

On 2/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, monron999 said:

Plus it feels like one of these teams is literally being forced down our throats based on the popularity and recognition of the other two. I'll leave everyone to their own devices to decide which one that is. Not something I'm gonna spend my money on (or anything Marvel these days), but I'll take a free copy.

Especially when it worked some well for those I-People or whatever they were called.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:09 AM, monron999 said:

Hmm. I wonder if you just might be referring to the Inhu - whoops,  I meant Eternals. This is EXACTLY like a few years back, when Marvel tried to shove the Inhumans down our throats, and took their audience from simply not caring about the Inhumans to actively loathing them. Running around screaming "They're popular, they're popular!" isn't going to make people like them.

Hard pass just out of frustration with Marvel.

Eternals - Never a fan, but the movie was okay. Still, not interested in learning more about them, so characters I am clueless on just don't appeal to me. And speaking of which...

X-Men - Not crazy about the whole Krakoa storyline. Too many characters over too many books. And why the heck are Rogue & Gambit NOT on the same team? Jean & Scott are. Reed & Sue too. Rogue's on the cool team and Gambit's playing Dungeon & Dragons in the Land of Oz. There was a reason the X-Men were great in the 90's. 

Avengers - Anyone remember when the Avengers were a cool book that just kept chugging along, to something like 400 issues? Now it's every two years a new team, new start, new everything. And boy have they beaten the Ghost Rider to death. Johnny Blaze was great and Marvel got lucky when they upgraded GR to Danny Ketch...usually changes like that tend to annoy fans, but that one worked out pretty well. What are we up, GR #9 in a car, what's next GR #10 on a scooter? They destroyed a once great character. 

IMO, DC hit rock-bottom. Not reading anything over there any more. I've clung to a couple Marvel books, but at this rate, I'm being all but shoved out of the comic-loving club. Bummer.

• 2 weeks later...
The next era of X-Men is on the horizon! With fresh new titles, exciting creative team changes, and cast shakeups, DESTINY OF X will be a season of radical transformation for the X-Men line and its characters. The possibilities are endless as the second Krakoan age begins over the next few months. And right now, fans can discover more about what’s to come this May in their favorite and most anticipated X-Men ongoing series!

JUDGMENT DAY IS COMING! Tying together current story threads in AVENGERS, X-MEN, and ETERNALS, writer Kieron Gillen and artist Valerio Schiti bring you the next Marvel Comics epic this summer. See the first seeds planted for this upcoming saga in issues of Kieron Gillen and Lucas Werneck’s IMMORTAL X-MEN! May’s IMMORTAL X-MEN #3 will dive into one of the most fascinating objects in the X-Men mythos: Destiny’s diaries! Over one hundred years ago, Irene Adler wrote twelve books. A sequel is long overdue.

The main team of Krakoan X-Men won’t be safe from the effects of Judgment Day either! Creative powerhouses Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz continue their hit run in X-Men #11. The women of the X-Men are heading for the hottest action in the galaxy…Gameworld! But if it’s true that the house always wins, our X-Ladies might be in over their heads…

THE QUEST IS REVEALED in Tini Howard and Bob Quinn’s KNIGHTS OF X #2! Betsy Braddock has assembled her Knights! Their mission: to save Otherworld from Merlyn and his powerful henchmen...by finding the holy grail of mutantkind. But Otherworld is vast, and innumerable armies stand in their way. When Merlyn targets the Crooked Market, a safe haven for mutantkind, the Knights must split up. Will Captain Britain find the grail? Will Gambit lead the others into a deadly trap? Death looms over the Knights — in more ways than one.

Meet Mother Righteous in Si Spurrier and Jan Bazaldua’s LEGION OF X #2! Legion is offered an unholy deal by this major new character, the self-proclaimed wheeler-dealer of the astral plane. But is the price worth the prize for a young man stuck in his father's shadow? Meanwhile, the Skinjacker grows bold. Not content with stealing identities of other mutants, he turns his powers on the Legion of X... And while newly arrived Arakki badass Weaponless Zsen has a beastly clash with a dangerous X-Man, her chaperone Nightcrawler is otherwise engaged – giving a massage...?

Launched in last month’s hit MARAUDERS ANNUAL #1, Steve Orlando continues his new run alongside artist Eleonora Carlini in MARAUDERS #3. Panic in Shi’ar space! The Marauders are prisoners of the Kin Crimson, a secret society stretching back billions of years, who outrank even the Shi’ar Majestrix…or so they think. But Captain Pryde and the Marauders aren’t giving up, not with the Shi’ar holding the last survivors of mutantkind’s first generation hostage. With the weight of history looming like a nuclear threat, can Kate Pryde convince Xandra to side with mutantkind against her kingdom?

Vita Ayala and Rod Reis’s acclaimed run heats up in NEW MUTANTS #26. While the queen is away, demons will play! A new queen has taken the throne of Limbo — Madelyne Pryor, A.K.A. the Goblin Queen! Meanwhile, separated from Limbo, Magik faces an enemy she thought she had banished long ago…

Wolverine masters Benjamin Percy and Adam Kubert take Logan deeper and deeper into DANGER in WOLVERINE #21! Outnumbered and surrounded, Wolverine unleashes his berserker rage, and Deadpool embraces his deadly fighting skills in a last ditch effort to save mutant lives. But what’s with all the Robot X-Men, and what do they have to do with the X-Desk?

And over in Percy and Robert Gill’s X-FORCE #28, Cerebrax stalks the island of Krakoa, and no one is safe! Its hunger for minds is insatiable…but what happens when it absorbs the minds — and powers — of the most powerful mutants?! X-Force will have to STEP. IT. UP. – and Kid Omega leads the way!

And expect planet-size power grabs and enormous omega-level feats in Al Ewing and Stefano Caselli’s X-MEN RED #3. Tarn the Uncaring waged war and torture on Arakko for centuries. He’s the most hated being on Mars…and he sits on their ruling council. Abigail Brand has a plan to remedy that — and reap the rewards. So does Roberto Da Costa. But only one of them can win…and Tarn’s going to make at least one mutant pay the price for it!

Check out the covers now and pick up these exciting new issues when they hit stands in May!

On Sale 5/4

X-MEN #11
Written by GERRY DUGGAN
Art and Cover by PEPE LARRAZ

X-FORCE #28
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by ROBERT GILL
Cover by JOSHUA CASSARA

On Sale 5/18

KNIGHTS OF X #2
Written by TINI HOWARD
Art by BOB QUINN
Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE

WOLVERINE #21
Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art and Cover by ADAM KUBERT

On Sale 5/25

IMMORTAL X-MEN #3
Written by KIERON GILLEN
Art by LUCAS WERNECK
Cover by MARK BROOKS

LEGION OF X #2
Written by SI SPURRIER
Art by JAN BAZALDUA
Cover by DIKE RUAN

MARAUDERS #3
Written by STEVE ORLANDO
Art by ELEONORA CARLINI
Cover by KAEL NGU

NEW MUTANTS #26
Written by VITA AYALA
Art by ROD REIS
Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

X-MEN RED #3
Written by AL EWING
Art by STEFANO CASELLI
Cover by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

IMMORTALXMEN2022003_cvr.jpg

KNIGHTSOFX2022002_cover.jpg

LEGIONOFX2022002_cover.jpg

MARAUDERS2022003_cover.jpg

NEWMUT2019026_cover.jpg

WOLV2020021_cover.jpg

XFORCE2019028_cover.jpg

XMEN2021011_cover.jpg

XMENRED2022003_cover.jpg

On 2/15/2022 at 11:43 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Hmmm...glad to see Destiny return and hoping we get a Legends figure of her soon. 

So was it ever revealed who killed Scarlet Witch?

She killed herself in a magic ritual with Magneto's help, to allow the Resurrection Protocols to now include people that would have been mutants but died before their powers  emerged, allowing roughly 20 million mutants to be reborn. This includes Thunderbird and Northstar's adopted daughter.