'Morbius' Delayed Again Until April 1st, 2022

Outsiders

Variety is reporting via Sony Pictures that 'Morbius' has been delayed again for another three months.

This will be the seventh time the movie has been postponed with the original premiere supposed to debut on July 10th, 2020, then July 31st, 2020, then March 19th, 2021, then October 8th, 2021, then January 21st, 2022, before shifting to the January, 28th date and now it's set to debut on April 1st, 2022.  All delays have been on account of the Covid-19 pandemic.

In the film, Jared Leto plays antihero Michael Morbius, who attempts a desperate gamble to treat a rare blood discoed, one that makes him more familiar with the darkness inside of him. “Morbius” was directed by Daniel Espinosa and co-stars Matt Smith, Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Al Madrigal, and Tyrese Gibson.

The pandemic is one of the reasons but another main reason is Sony is riding high on the success with Spider-Man: No Way Home.  The Spider-Man movie has already pulled in over $1.37 billion worldwide and Sony wants to let it ride in theaters for the next few weeks.  So Sony doesn't want the Morbius taking away any dollars they can get from Spider-Man.

On 1/3/2022 at 6:16 PM, Outsiders said:

The pandemic is one of the reasons but another main reason is Sony is riding high on the success with Spider-Man: No Way Home.  The Spider-Man movie has already pulled in over $1.37 billion worldwide and Sony wants to let it ride in theaters for the next few weeks.  So Sony doesn't want the Morbius taking away any dollars they can get from Spider-Man.

You could be right, but my bet would be on reshoots - filming Spiderman and or Venom stuff to add to this and make it a bigger event.

They also probably know that even with the connect to Marvel, if a Spider-man movie is not really connected to the MCU it could likely fail. The Venom movies were great but lets face it, it suffered for not being a part of the MCU proper. Maybe they are going back and trying to make it a part of the MCU proper.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:49 PM, tarot said:

They also probably know that even with the connect to Marvel, if a Spider-man movie is not really connected to the MCU it could likely fail. The Venom movies were great but lets face it, it suffered for not being a part of the MCU proper. Maybe they are going back and trying to make it a part of the MCU proper.

errr.. were the Venom movies great though? 😁

of course I respect your opinion, I’m just messing with you.

i just watched Let There Be Carnage and the best I can say is that it WAS a movie. That is 100% fact. 

But holy god it was terrible. I can’t review the film here because I’ve no idea what happened. It was busy. It was loud. Then it was over. There was no story and I have no idea what either Hardy or ‘Venom’ were saying for 75% of the film. I strongly feel this movie did as well as it did was because fans wanted to see Carnage. And probably expected a good story. Well... they got to see Carnage at least. 

Sony really just doesn’t get the characters they have control over.

If Tom Hardy becomes the next James Bond he will in fact kill that franchise.

i have zero expectations for Morbius but I admit the trailers look promising. This is big praise after watching Leto’s performance as Joker.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:40 AM, McHogan said:

i just watched Let There Be Carnage and the best I can say is that it WAS a movie. That is 100% fact. 

But holy god it was terrible. I can’t review the film here because I’ve no idea what happened. It was busy. It was loud. Then it was over. There was no story and I have no idea what either Hardy or ‘Venom’ were saying for 75% of the film. I strongly feel this movie did as well as it did was because fans wanted to see Carnage. And probably expected a good story. Well... they got to see Carnage at least. 

i have zero expectations for Morbius but I admit the trailers look promising. This is big praise after watching Leto’s performance as Joker.

Okay yeah. Great isn't the word. Brainless enjoyment.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:40 PM, McHogan said:

I really love Tom Holland, but I don't believe for a second that he will be cast as James Bond (too young, too tiny).   

Totally agree with you about Venom. Tom Hardy is a wildly talented guy, but Sony's take on Venom is just so goofy (I don't like the character at all anyway, but Sony just made it truly awful). I have seen both in theaters because my son loves them, but I just don't get them at all. When the post credits scene made Venom a part of the MCU I was so disappointed (how could Feige allow this), but then when the Spiderman post credits scene took him back out, I think I might have actually cheered out loud.  And as much as I hope Garfield gets another shot at a Spiderman film, I would rather he didn't if it means he will have to fight Venom - I just hate that! 

Not surprising, they don't have faith in this movie, and for good reason, sure Venom 2 did well at the box office, but it was a trainwreck of a movie (and it came out at a time it had little to compete with, extra specially in terms of other comic movies, people wanted to see a comic movie), and it's certainly not going to draw any attention down the road, because it was bad, Morbius probably isn't great either, these sony guys are grasping at straws here, they really should have given it up already, just partner with Marvel Studios soley and make movies within the MCU under the guidance of Fiege, don't make a Kraven movie, don't make a Paste Pot Pete movie...stop, you have an awful track record. I love Morbius and I hope this movie is good, will I see it yes, will I be excited to yes, do I have high hopes not in the least.

Sony doesn't understand how to tell these characters stories it's clear, they twist and rip the source material with no care for it, they don't care about the characters rich history, they are not in tune with it, and we know this now.

Also doesn't help that we are in a terrible place right now in the pandemic with the most transmissible variant, literally everyone is getting no matter how vaxxed you are, I ain't going to the movies no more, seeing Spider-man was probably how I got covid.

Hm... Keaton did say he was going to shoot new stuff as the Vulture, which looks to be  for Morbius but maybe they are also including someone new too? Like it's so hard to tell which Universe Morbius is, its clear Venom is there but Vulture from MCU is also there? Although he also can be just a variant Vulture of that Universe, which just happens to look exactly the same as MCU version. We also have that screen of graffiti of "Spider-man murderer"  which can be reference to MCU Spidey killing Mysterio but it also can be reference to Maguire Spidey since it is his Spidey costume model.  Or maybe it's Andrew Garfield reference because as we found out he was more brutal after Gwen's death, which could result in him accidentally killing someone, Garfield also makes sense as new addition/cameo because it would be much  easier to put him in Venom/Morbius sony verse. And with very positive Reaction of Andrew it's possible Sony is shooting new scene/scenes.

Honestly Morbius would have made a great movie if it was part of the Blade franchise, not the Spider-man. Yes He is undoubtably a Spider-man based character, no one will argue that but having him star with Blade, being a Vampire trying to do good, would have made for a more compelling character, then a random anti-hero.

On 1/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

"...Sony doesn't understand how to tell these characters stories it's clear, they twist and rip the source material with no care for it, they don't care about the characters rich history, they are not in tune with it, and we know this now...."

Its really a shame; some studio sees the dollars generated by one comic book franchise and tries to jump in on it, without understanding or caring why it was successful. This seemed to be the way Joel Schumacher approached the Batman series. No wonder it became a cringe-worthy failure. I do hope that Morbius will at least get a chance out the gate.