John Romita Jr. Returns To Spider-Man

JayC

On 1/12/2022 at 8:09 AM, toycrypt said:

The only reason he has a foot in the door was because his father _________. Fill in the blank.

Um, John Romita Jr. has drawn three times as many comics at Marvel as his father. JRjr had defining runs on Iron Man and the X-Men, and he was a signature artist on Spider-Man comics for three different decades. I agree with the general assessment that his style has devolved and is almost unreadable now, but the man was no hack. He's one of the most tenured and accomplished artists any of the big companies has ever produced.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:58 PM, RyanDaly said:

Um, John Romita Jr. has drawn three times as many comics at Marvel as his father. JRjr had defining runs on Iron Man and the X-Men, and he was a signature artist on Spider-Man comics for three different decades. I agree with the general assessment that his style has devolved and is almost unreadable now, but the man was no hack. He's one of the most tenured and accomplished artists any of the big companies has ever produced.

Agreed, he is actually one of the artist that has done some of the most important and longest runs of Spider-man. JRSr has only a fraction of the work his son has done. If you think he is using his father's name, then you should look up the amount of work both have done and see how different they are.

This year marks the 60th anniversary of Spider-Man and Marvel Comics is proud to celebrate its most iconic hero with a new volume of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN brought to life by two acclaimed comic book talents!

His “Shed” storyline is considered one of the best Spider-Man stories of all time, his bold work on NEW WARRIORS laid the groundwork for CIVIL WAR, and he’s currently making waves within the Spidey mythos in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN’s current “Beyond” era. Now hit writer Zeb Wells is ready to begin a new age at the helm of one of Marvel’s all-time great comic book series. Wells will be joined on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN by none other than the legend himself—JOHN ROMITA JR. The definitive AMAZING SPIDER-MAN artist made his grand return to Marvel Comics last year specifically for this run and is back to bring Spider-Man’s world to the page with his singular, unmatched finesse. Arriving in April, Wells and Romita Jr.’s run will house all the classic elements fans love about Peter Parker, surprising new takes on your favorite Spider-Man foes, and the answer to the question that will be on everyone’s mind: WHAT DID SPIDER-MAN DO?

Peter’s on the outs with the FF. He’s on the outs with the Avengers. He’s even on the outs with Aunt May! After a terrible and mysterious incident, no one wants to see Spider-Man – except for Doctor Octopus. Ock’s on Spider-Man’s tail and the Master Planner has something truly terrible planned for when he gets his tentacles on Spidey. All that, and Tombstone makes a move that will remind readers why he’s one of Spider-Man’s most terrifying villains…

“Spider-Man doesn’t turn sixty every year,” says Spider-Editor Nick Lowe, “and we are going BIG with this run cramming it with the biggest WTF moments Spidey has ever had. Zeb and JRJR will go down in history as one of the best creative teams ever!

Here's what John Romita Jr. had to say about his own personal history with the character and what excites him most about the upcoming run:

“Ever since my father told my brother and me that Spider-Man/Peter Parker lived close to our home in Queens, NYC, we were hooked! We talked Spider Man on long drives to family get-togethers, and it was as if we had an extra family member!

“As luck would have it, my brother Vic had the brains and went in another direction, while I had a little bit of art in me. As luck would also have it, I was able to watch the greatest Spider-Man artist, my father, John, work with the greatest Spider Man writer, Stan Lee, on the greatest character of all time. Fortunately, after joining the comic book universe, I was given a chance to work on this great character, the Amazing Spider-Man. I was terrified! How do I follow my father??? How do I follow any of the previous Spidey artists?? I had no idea, but I stuck it out and got lucky. The subsequent runs were much less terrifying, and became more and more fun. There was one particular run that was incredibly fun, but also incredibly important to me. The 9/11 issue may well be with me for as long as I live. One commonality with all the runs, was working with the brilliant writers and artists….. again, luck!!

“To take being lucky to another level: Marvel has allowed me to get back to work on this amazing character, and work with another brilliant writer, Zeb Wells! The stories are stunning and I am reading the scripts with a grin and wonderment…..then wondering how the heck to do them justice!!

“Well, fortunately, I have a close friend and brilliant artist to help me do that. Scott Hanna and I have worked on this character before and Scott is still a brilliant artist who will continue to be brilliant, lucky for me and anyone who looks at the art. Adding to Scott and myself is the third artist, the color artist, Marcio Menyz. It’s difficult to describe how wonderful his work is, so to save space and everyone’s patience, I’ll let it speak for itself! It’s stunning!!

“The editorial team beginning with Nick Lowe, adding in Lindsay Cohick, and Kaeden McGahey, make the work process smoother. Judging by the scope of Zeb’s stories, I can use all the help I can get!

“One commonality here, is how lucky I am to be back working on my ‘other’ brother, Spider-Man, and to be back with my professional ‘family,’ Marvel. Thanks folks, I’ll work hard to make you proud!

“I've waited my entire career to work with John Romita Jr.,” Wells says. “To team up with him on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN for the character's 60th anniversary is so exciting words can't describe it. We're gonna have a blast!

Join us for Spider-Man’s biggest year when AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 hits stands in April.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1
Written by ZEB WELLS
Art and Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Inks by SCOTT HANNA
Colors by MARCIO MENYZ
On Sale 4/6

ASM2022001COVER.jpg

FJAQ5uuXIAIabkO.jpg

FJAQ5wfXsAI8skw.jpg

FJAQ5wfXwAE2huv.jpg

On 1/12/2022 at 4:09 AM, toycrypt said:

The only reason he has a foot in the door was because his father _________. Fill in the blank.

On 1/12/2022 at 4:58 AM, RyanDaly said:

Volume doesn't necessarily equate to quality. JRJR may have done more 'cause he's possibly faster, but the overall quality of his work, especially as the years have gone by, has really gone down. Ohhh but that run he did with Roger Stern...beautiful. Its hands down one of my favorite Spider-Man runs, 2nd only to Romita Sr. And while I can see that Jazzy John may have got him through the door, his work (definitely his earlier efforts) speaks for itself. Overall, though, I agree with you... I don't think its fair to say he's in comics only 'cause of Dear Old Dad. 

On 1/13/2022 at 7:18 PM, Marvel_Zombie_74 said:

I really don't like the art at all. I never have cared for his art but looks almost worse now. And a new #1? I just don't understand why they can't keep the numbering, they do the legacy # still too. I just get tired of new volumes. Just a nick pick of mine and it doesn't bother most people.

A new #1 is a marketing plot. New readers and collectors are more likely to buy a #1, which is generally designed to be a jumping on point, than issue #868 or something

On 1/13/2022 at 10:18 AM, Marvel_Zombie_74 said:

"... And a new #1? I just don't understand why they can't keep the numbering, they do the legacy # still too. I just get tired of new volumes. Just a nick pick of mine and it doesn't bother most people..."

Well I'm with you on that, it does bother me. If the book is supposed to be a new thing, then give it a new title. Otherwise stick with the numbering system that's already there. I mean, your book has been published consistently for 60 years and you have one of the most recognized and beloved characters around. Be proud of that!  

I preferred JR Jr's. earlier stuff when he was first working on ASM. It looked a little like his father's style but was still different enough to be his own thing. I'm not too wild about what his artwork has evolved into. It's very recognizable, but a little too 'distinctive'' for my tastes. Everything looks a bit flat for some reason, and he makes some odd choices like drawing Spidey's head kind of square looking. I still like his work a lot, just not quite as much as I did when he first started out. Wish he'd stuck with his more traditional style.

Marvel Comics will celebrate Free Comic Book Day this year with THREE separate Free Comic one-shots, each offering readers new and old an exciting entry point into some of Marvel’s biggest upcoming stories and characters!

Announced last week, Spider-Man is gearing up for a brand-new era just in time for the character’s 60th anniversary! Fans who pick up FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: SPIDER-MAN/VENOM #1 will see the very beginning of the major storylines writer Zeb Wells and legendary artist John Romita Jr. have planned for their run on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, including Tombstone’s first steps towards becoming Spidey’s most terrifying villain.

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: SPIDER-MAN/VENOM #1 will also give fans a chance to check out the thought-provoking work Al Ewing, Ram V, and Bryan Hitch are doing on VENOM! The groundbreaking changes this mastermind trio has in store for the symbiote mythos starts here!

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: SPIDER/VENOM #1 will be available exclusively through Diamond Comics. Check with your local comic shop regarding availability.

Stay tuned for more FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2022 announcements and pick up these extraordinary one-shots when they arrive on May 7!

FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: SPIDER-MAN/VENOM #1
Written by ZEB WELLS, AL EWING, & RAM V
Art by JOHN ROMITA JR. & BRYAN HITCH
Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Variant Cover[1:1000] by JONBOY MEYERS

FCBD-Spider-Man.jpg

I can respect his long tenure in comics but his style has never appealed to me either.

most of the time his panels seem lazy. Instead of the level of detail say George Perez put into each panel, JRjr would rather put in ‘speed lines ‘ where feet would go. Nah, I’ve never taken news of JRjr joining a book as good news

I love JRjR in 90s, be it his Spidey clone saga books,  Daredevil or Heart of Darkness  but sadly after 2000s with Amazing Spider-man run which started  strong but slowly was turned to his current style, Superman year one was one weird looking work, his last good drawn comic was probably Anti Venom story that was inked by Klaus Johnson, so I really think having good inker helps but I really wish he could draw in same style he did back in the day.

On 1/23/2022 at 8:39 PM, SpiderS said:

I love JRjR in 90s, be it his Spidey clone saga books,  Daredevil or Heart of Darkness  but sadly after 2000s with Amazing Spider-man run which started  strong but slowly was turned to his current style, Superman year one was one weird looking work, his last good drawn comic was probably Anti Venom story that was inked by Klaus Johnson, so I really think having good inker helps but I really wish he could draw in same style he did back in the day.

Yeah, he really needs a good inker to bring out his best.