Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Captain America In-Hand Look

JayC

I think the reaction to the upcoming Hulk figure is really a matter of when you were introduced to the Incredible Hulk. The sculpt by Paul Harding is actually spot on. Might not be your preference, but it is accurate to the 1970's look of the character. Look at The Incredible Hulk comics 150 - 199 and you will see. Again, might not be your preferred look (hey, there are plenty of looks that are not my preferred look), but it isn't bad at all.   image.thumb.png.e8a7c06ffa9929d7d4bdfd58989512fa.png

On 1/20/2022 at 11:05 AM, Psychosomatic said:

I think the reaction to the upcoming Hulk figure is really a matter of when you were introduced to the Incredible Hulk. The sculpt by Paul Harding is actually spot on. Might not be your preference, but it is accurate to the 1970's look of the character. Look at The Incredible Hulk comics 150 - 199 and you will see. Again, might not be your preferred look (hey, there are plenty of looks that are not my preferred look), but it isn't bad at all.   image.thumb.png.e8a7c06ffa9929d7d4bdfd58989512fa.png

I’m sorry, but I have to politely disagree with you here. The Paul Harding head sculpt looks a lot less like Bronze Age comic Hulk, and a lot more like Mick Jagger. Heck, the old Mego Hulk’s head sculpt was much better than the weird Harding one.

I mean... it’s right there on the comic art included WITH this figure..why we haven’t gotten purple tight-whities Hulk yet is beyond me. Really one of the last ‘classic’ looks we’ve yet to get. 

I accept that Hasbro prob won’t make a dedicated sculpt for Avengers 1 era Hulk but in the art this body would work for his Hulk 300 era appearance. For 1st app, He’d need to be much smaller, bigger forehead.. you know what I’m talking about.. 60s era Hulk. 

FYI, I still display the ToyBiz 1st appearance Hulk in my collection. While not accurate due to the, yup, long pants, he remains one of the very few TB figs that hold up all these years later. Tho to be fair, he looked like the Hulk we all know and love by Avengers #3 ( long pants and all).

Honestly, I’m buying this guy. But until we DO get purple skivvies Hulk, this is probably my last one 

On 1/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, The Mad Bubbler said:

I’m sorry, but I have to politely disagree with you here. The Paul Harding head sculpt looks a lot less like Bronze Age comic Hulk, and a lot more like Mick Jagger. Heck, the old Mego Hulk’s head sculpt was much better than the weird Harding one.

Hmm I dunno… even though this one isn’t for me, I don’t think it looks terrible and too unfamiliar like some say.  Not the best, sure, but Hulk has had so many different faces and hair-dos in his time, that I do think it comes down to preference/taste on this one I guess. But this head does remind me of the #193 cover. 🤷‍♂️

6549352A-0129-4E16-B88B-16E51159CF7D.thumb.jpeg.8db5300b189e07dd0afbf73c79036b1f.jpeg

On 1/20/2022 at 7:49 PM, MODADDYDODOK said:

Hmm I dunno… even though this one isn’t for me, I don’t think it looks terrible and too unfamiliar like some say.  Not the best, sure, but Hulk has had so many different faces and hair-dos in his time, that I do think it comes down to preference/taste on this one I guess. But this head does remind me of the #193 cover. 🤷‍♂️

6549352A-0129-4E16-B88B-16E51159CF7D.thumb.jpeg.8db5300b189e07dd0afbf73c79036b1f.jpeg

Exactly, thank you! I'm not going to debate whether the head is accurate to a particular look - you either see it or you don't.  And I don't want to try to convince anyone to like it, I just wanted to make the point that it isn't a bad sculpt, it is just a matter of preference.

On 1/20/2022 at 8:05 AM, Psychosomatic said:

"I think the reaction to the upcoming Hulk figure is really a matter of when you were introduced to the Incredible Hulk...."

Obviously you're into Harding's work and that's fine, but I don't think the negative reactions are due to when someone was introduced to the character, its that the head sculpt just doesn't look right; it doesn't look like the Hulk, regardless of what era they're trying to say its from. I have a good chunk of those Incredible Hulk issues you mention and Herb Trimpe was the main artist then; this work from Harding doesn't look anything like that. As @The Mad Bubblersaid, it looks like Mick Jagger, and I'd  go so far as to say Jagger on a severe acid trip, on the way to the morgue. Its bad enough that they're trying to pass this figure off as something special, but then they had to go and actually make it worse. Far better just to do a straight re-paint, make it about as dark green as the Toybiz version, jack up their price and call it a day. 

If they had just given him some added articulation or done something different with the pants (learn from the star wars haslab rancor fail- just give the fans what they want) maybe there'd be some justification for the price hike. As it is, I'll just pass on this and keep my money.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:40 AM, JayC said:

Im gonna get this one because Im a huge Cap fan and I do like the brighter colors. I agree the price point is high which is why this one and Toad are likely the only two figures I will end up getting in this sub-line. I totally could do without the diorama piece as it will likely just go in a drawer if that would keep the cost down. I know its included as a nod to the Toy Biz figure but doesnt do much for me personally.

Cap and Toad only for me too. I do want a second Cap for another display I have in mind. But I'll wait for that if the price comes down or a rerelease with a holeless shield.

Speaking of the shield, is it larger than the previous comic Cap shield? It looks like it.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:08 PM, Atlantis said:

Obviously you're into Harding's work and that's fine, but I don't think the negative reactions are due to when someone was introduced to the character, its that the head sculpt just doesn't look right; it doesn't look like the Hulk, regardless of what era they're trying to say its from. I have a good chunk of those Incredible Hulk issues you mention and Herb Trimpe was the main artist then; this work from Harding doesn't look anything like that. As @The Mad Bubblersaid, it looks like Mick Jagger, and I'd  go so far as to say Jagger on a severe acid trip, on the way to the morgue. Its bad enough that they're trying to pass this figure off as something special, but then they had to go and actually make it worse. Far better just to do a straight re-paint, make it about as dark green as the Toybiz version, jack up their price and call it a day. 

If they had just given him some added articulation or done something different with the pants (learn from the star wars haslab rancor fail- just give the fans what they want) maybe there'd be some justification for the price hike. As it is, I'll just pass on this and keep my money.

Yeah. The figure just doesn't resemble any version of Hulk from any form of media. It's not good. These are supposed to be "special" figures, but the 80th. Anniversary one is 100 times better. I could maybe be suckered in to buying a cool-looking repaint of it, but this fugly one, I'll only buy at steep discount, as kind of a joke, an example of a terrible figure to chuckle at. Hasbro needs some consistency- their head sculpts have been getting more inconsistent in quality lately. Sue Storm is not great, this Hulk is awful, and the upcoming Sabertooth is cartoonish and terrible. 

On 1/20/2022 at 5:28 PM, McHogan said:

I mean... it’s right there on the comic art included WITH this figure..why we haven’t gotten purple tight-whities Hulk yet is beyond me. Really one of the last ‘classic’ looks we’ve yet to get. 

I accept that Hasbro prob won’t make a dedicated sculpt for Avengers 1 era Hulk but in the art this body would work for his Hulk 300 era appearance. For 1st app, He’d need to be much smaller, bigger forehead.. you know what I’m talking about.. 60s era Hulk. 

FYI, I still display the ToyBiz 1st appearance Hulk in my collection. While not accurate due to the, yup, long pants, he remains one of the very few TB figs that hold up all these years later. Tho to be fair, he looked like the Hulk we all know and love by Avengers #3 ( long pants and all).

Honestly, I’m buying this guy. But until we DO get purple skivvies Hulk, this is probably my last one 

47C1056C-9919-44E9-8BE2-1A8A4723DA1E.jpeg

Yes! I would definitely buy THIS Hulk (without a terrible head sculpt). And I agree- Hasbro probably won't do a completely unique body just for early-Silver-Age Hulk, but re-using it and having it be slightly too big is good enough for me. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, The Mad Bubbler said:

Yeah. The figure just doesn't resemble any version of Hulk from any form of media. It's not good. These are supposed to be "special" figures, but the 80th. Anniversary one is 100 times better. I could maybe be suckered in to buying a cool-looking repaint of it, but this fugly one, I'll only buy at steep discount, as kind of a joke, an example of a terrible figure to chuckle at. Hasbro needs some consistency- their head sculpts have been getting more inconsistent in quality lately. Sue Storm is not great, this Hulk is awful, and the upcoming Sabertooth is cartoonish and terrible. 

Hasbro has had a run of bad headsculpts lately, which is unusual because they used to be consistently good. It made me wonder if they are all attributable to one artist but I don't know. For me, it started with retro Rogue and the initial reveal that sparked a lot of criticism. Some felt the final product was better, but I still never liked it and prefer the Juggernaut wave Rogue's headsculpt. Then, obviously Sue Storm. No need to rehash that as it was universally panned as awful. The 20th Anniversary Hulk is bad and made me immediately pass on it, even though I'm a huge Hulk fan. Some people didn't like the headsculpt on AOA Shadowcat. That was one I didn't mind. The upcoming Sabretooth is another awful one. I will pass, even though I'd love to have a classic-costumed Sabretooth. The Apocalypse wave Sabretooth has a much better headsculpt. The new Dr. Strange, while not necessarily bad, I don't feel really captures Dr. Strange's classic angular look but rather has an older, pudgier face than fans associate with him.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:47 PM, Sasquatch said:

Hasbro has had a run of bad headsculpts lately, which is unusual because they used to be consistently good. It made me wonder if they are all attributable to one artist but I don't know. For me, it started with retro Rogue and the initial reveal that sparked a lot of criticism. Some felt the final product was better, but I still never liked it and prefer the Juggernaut wave Rogue's headsculpt. Then, obviously Sue Storm. No need to rehash that as it was universally panned as awful. The 20th Anniversary Hulk is bad and made me immediately pass on it, even though I'm a huge Hulk fan. Some people didn't like the headsculpt on AOA Shadowcat. That was one I didn't mind. The upcoming Sabretooth is another awful one. I will pass, even though I'd love to have a classic-costumed Sabretooth. The Apocalypse wave Sabretooth has a much better headsculpt. The new Dr. Strange, while not necessarily bad, I don't feel really captures Dr. Strange's classic angular look but rather has an older, pudgier face than fans associate with him.

Theyve had their stinkers throughout having the marvel license. They are mostly great to acceptable levels even tho it seems like one of their sculptors loves to have more than an eye length apart between their eyes on their headsculpts and it is very consistent with multiple headsculpts. Its far from bad but its a bit awkward and offputting to see. I was looking forward to this hulk and am a fan of Hardings work but he put too much of his own take on the sculpt that it looks nothing like any version of hulk. It looks like its own thing which is bad when its supposed to represent a 20th anniversary of an established line. That Sabertooth is also another of Hardings work which I feel he put too much of his own spin on it instead of just doing a proper version. Its good if you like his work and is far from bad looking but bad if you just want a more accurate interpretation of the character. 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:07 AM, EvilHayato said:

"... I was looking forward to this hulk and am a fan of Hardings work .....but he put too much of his own take on the sculpt that it looks nothing like any version of hulk. It looks like its own thing ...he put too much of his own spin on it (Sabertooth) instead of just doing a proper version..."

That upcoming Sabertooth is the worst, and its bizarre when I see people commenting how its his "first appearance" look, or how the fingerless gloves/toeless boots are "classic" or whatever. I say to them, go back and read the Iron Fist book of ST's first appearance. This proposed new version does NOT look like that, nor can I recall any version of ST that looked like that. The sculptor's job wasn't to tell ST's story the way HE wanted it told. Regardless of what his interpretation or "artist's" flare is, he can't make something look so alien to the source material and then turn around and say its faithful to that material. 

On 1/22/2022 at 4:31 AM, Atlantis said:

That upcoming Sabertooth is the worst, and its bizarre when I see people commenting how its his "first appearance" look, or how the fingerless gloves/toeless boots are "classic" or whatever. I say to them, go back and read the Iron Fist book of ST's first appearance. This proposed new version does NOT look like that, nor can I recall any version of ST that looked like that. The sculptor's job wasn't to tell ST's story the way HE wanted it told. Regardless of what his interpretation or "artist's" flare is, he can't make something look so alien to the source material and then turn around and say its faithful to that material. 

I completely agree. I think they give artists alittle too much freedom instead of making a 1 to 1 look. Theres a few too many creative liberties that go on with some of the figures sculpts. Hulk is particularly one of them. 

This figure is sick, I wasn't too happy with anniversary Cap, one head was ok but another straight up lame, this figure gets much better headsculpt that its up there with ML series 1 head it replicates even though it absolutely different look, either way this figure is must get, even though I saw review unparalleled head blue there was wayyyyy too bright but on these pics blue is actually perfect and even shield look super impressive and I think much bigger than most comic book style shields we got?

• 2 weeks later...
Shown below via LittleToysBiggerWorld are over 30 in-hand images for the new Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Captain America figure from Hasbro which has already seen release overseas. The figure which comes in special Toy Biz tribute packaging includes diorama backdrop, alternate head, alternate hands, action effects, and shield. You can purchase this figure from our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth.

20th-Anniversary-Cap-00.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-01.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-02.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-03.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-04.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-05.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-06.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-07.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-08.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-09.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-10.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-11.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-12.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-13.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-14.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-15.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-16.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-17.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-18.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-19.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-20.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-21.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-22.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-23.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-24.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-25.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-26.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-27.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-28.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-29.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-30.jpg

20th-Anniversary-Cap-31.jpg

On 2/4/2022 at 7:36 AM, JohnF said:

I really like this Cap figure, from how it looks to the accessories, but it's too expensive. 

Hasbro will probably rerelease it down the road without the extra accessories and hopefully with a shield without the holes. Down side is that it will be when the prices are at the 25 dollar price point.

On 2/7/2022 at 9:19 AM, Emnems80 said:

Hasbro will probably rerelease it down the road without the extra accessories and hopefully with a shield without the holes. Down side is that it will be when the prices are at the 25 dollar price point.

Yeah... I can see that happening. Tough time to be a collector when it comes to prices.