Two New Captain America Series Launch This Spring From Marvel

JayC

Announced earlier today, 2022 will mark a new age of Captain America, one that will launch two Captain America ongoing titles. Writers Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly and Marvel Stormbreaker artist Carmen Carnero will tell the adventures of Steve Rogers in CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY while writer Tochi Onyebuchi and Marvel Stormbreaker artist R.B. Silva will see Sam Wilson soar as Captain America once again in CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH. The journeys of both shield bearers will begin in April’s CAPTAIN AMERICA #0 where they will team up after an explosive attack by Arnim Zola. Fans can get a sneak peek at the action that awaits in a celebratory new announcement trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork.

“Issue #0 is effectively a conversation between Steve and Sam about what it means for both of them to be Captain America simultaneously," Lanzing explained to Entertainment Weekly. “But that conversation isn't had in a room sitting down over beers, that conversation is had while flying/holding onto the side of a massive rocket heading into the sky to obliterate all of mankind because Arnim Zola is back and he's got a bad plan."

"We've seen Sam Wilson deal with the legacy of Captain America and race in very inward terms with regards to America: What does it mean for America to accept a Black Captain America?" Onyebuchi says. "One of the things I'm teasing in my book is, what does it mean for the rest of the world to accept a Black Captain America? That's another part of the equation. If Captain America is in many ways a mimesis of America, with all the good and bad pathologies, what does that mean for the way in which America interacts with the rest of the world?"

'With our story, what we really wanted to start looking at was, how has America changed? What does it mean to be a patriot now?" Kelly added. “Cap can't turn his back on America, neither of the Caps can, because the idea is good. The core is good and worth fighting for, but both need to wrestle with what that means in the year of our Lord 2022."

Check out Mark Brooks’ CAPTAIN AMERICA #0 wraparound cover below as well as the covers for the debut issues of CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH and CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY. And be there for this pivotal moment in Captain America’s legacy when it begins in April.

On Sale 4/20

CAPTAIN AMERICA #0
Written by TOCHI ONYEBUCHI, COLLIN KELLY & JACKSON LANZING
Art by MATTIA DE IULIS
Steve Rogers Cover by ALEX ROSS
Sam Wilson Cover by ALEX ROSS
Wraparound Variant Cover by MARK BROOKS

On Sale May 2022

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #1
Written by TOCHI ONYEBUCHI
Art and Cover by R.B. SILVA

On Sale June 2022

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #1
Written by COLLIN KELLY & JACKSON LANZING
Art and Cover by CARMEN CARNERO

CAPA2022000_BrooksWraparound.jpg

CAPA2022000_MainCovers.jpg

CaptainAmerica_SentinelofLiberty_1.jpg

CaptainAmerica_SymbolofTruth_1.jpg

I didn't really need Sam to become Cap again, which just feels of MCU Synergy which I never care for, but his brief retaking the shield in United States of Captain America was fun. I'll try both books, but I haven't been all too hot on any Cap ongoing since Brubaker's run ended. Fingers crossed for a book that finally breaks that streak.

I'm not super interested in the race aspect of Sam's book since I think his merits came from the man he is, not really his skin color. I still might give it a shot but it does smell of mcu tie-in. As for Steve, I'm looking forward to it but I'm also a little apprehensive since I'm unfamiliar with the talent involved. 

Much love for the Falcon, and I really like that they gave him a distinct costume for Captain America. Having said that, I'd be happy for him to go back to being the Falcon, the red/white outfit. I really don't care for the red/black one with the odd wings (was there ever any purpose given for that specific wing design?); only I'd add those red goggles and bring back his Hawk Hook from the days before he ever got his wings. 

The characters in the artwork above give me hope that we may soon see them in action figure form. At last, the original Human Torch and first appearance Sub-Mariner? YES! And is that Warrior Woman?! Could this finally be the signal that we might get some Golden Age figures? Pack em up in a WWII style Army footlocker design...choose from

OG Torch, Bucky, Namor, Cap, Toro, Warrior Woman (original outfit), Baron Blood, U-Man, original Vision, Red Raven, Blazing Skull, Miss America....make it a Pulse exclusive....

I disagree to a certain extent. I like Sam with a shield and like this shield they have given him. Would love to see a modern Marvel Legends figure done with wings and this shield. Now I would be just as happy if they kept Sam as Falcon with a shield of his own, but if this was real world lets be honest. Captain America is a known symbol and likely Sam can accomplish more good with that symbol than as just Falcon. If the story is good I say go for it. Steve is still Steve.

Either way I love the gatefold cover. I made it my desktop computer wall paper. USAgent is looking good there and makes me hopeful that is how the new Marvel Legends figure will look.

On 1/20/2022 at 3:20 AM, JayC said:

"...Would love to see a modern Marvel Legends figure done with wings and this shield....Either way I love the gatefold cover. I made it my desktop computer wall paper. USAgent is looking good there and makes me hopeful that is how the new Marvel Legends figure will look..."

Yes, thats a good look for USAgent. I hope his figure will have a different shield though (I'm sure they'll just re-color Cap's shield though). I liked the version that they used for the Captain America movie series 4" figure; it would be great if he had that one.

Just noticing that split on Caps' boot. Don't like it. 

I see Misty Knight there; she's overdue for another figure, but hopefully not in that outfit. I'd prefer her in the red bodysuit, but really to me Misty should be more "grounded" so her black pants/ jeans, knee high boots, and black short-sleeve turtle neck (yes, it normally was long sleeved but short ones allow us to see the full bionic arm) with the shoulder holster is best. 

I think smarter would be to have one Cap title with both stories, make it double or maybe make them shorter and give more time to creators to work on the stories and art, because in current comic book market supporting two ongoing titles is not realistic even for character like Cap. This sadly echoes approach we see today of announcing million titles and then in less than a year canceling them, I think it's much better strategy to charge more and have all in universe stories of this month for cap/spidey/dd/batman in one single book rather than making many titles and confusing new readers, like the way Marvle relaunched X-Men with 8 titles..... which is absurd and only dilutes franchise resulting in overall lower sales and making comics even more inaccessible to new and old fans.  KISS principal could really make comic book market better and they can even print their variant covers too. And I think there's sorta precedent for this because I do remember owning  Spider-Man universe comics that basically reprinted 3 spidey titles, now if they could do this as original printing , because short 22 page stories hardly seem like good bargain for 4-6 bucks in todays world where TPB are readily available for slightly more, but putting three different 22 pages stories in one comic magazine is already something that more worthwhile.