Another Year, Another Figure Price Increase Coming From Hasbro

JayC

We've gotten word from a few difference sources that suggest Hasbro is going to be increasing the prices on their action figures again this year. For a standard 6" Marvel Legends figure it looks like you can expect the MSRP to go up to around $24.99. Likely you will be seeing increases on all their figures so just add a few dollars on top of what ever figure or scale your looking at. I don't know exactly when the price increase will kick into effect and it may vary from retailer to retailer, but most likely you or your wallet will start to notice the increase by mid-year.

Hasbro had gone some years without raising prices to much on their figures but last year we saw the MSRP on a standard 6" figure go from $19.99 to $22.99. Let us know in the COMMENT SECTION how do you think this latest increase will effect your own collecting habits.

Price-Increase.jpg

On 1/26/2022 at 4:43 PM, thorodinson211 said:

$24.99 is a little too high. They better start giving us more accessories at that price. Keep if the price goes higher than $24.99 you are gonna loose a lot of collectors

That's not how it works mate. The price increase is due to a number of factors but mostly due to oil and plastic price increases. With plastic being faze out in many products, the price of it has increased due to the fact that there is lower amount of companies using it. Because it this Hasbro has to increase the price. We will still get the same amount of accessories but they will cost Hasbro more to make.

Prices go up, and the prices of everything are increasing. That's no surprise.

The frustrating thing is that these figures are not worth $25. Which means BBTS will sell them for $27 and deluxe figures could be anywhere from $37 to $45 for something like Vulture, or $55 for something like MODOK.

Legends simply aren't worth that. You're telling me that repainted retro Hobgoblin is worth $27? Get real. There's way too many other companies making figures in this price range for more value for me to keep giving ML my money. I've already started cutting back on ML and putting it towards other lines last year. This is just all the more reason to.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:29 AM, Faust said:

And I'll be buying Legends only when the price drops. These are in now way worth $25. Not when Mc Farlane and Mattel WWE offer better detail and bigger scales for way less. 

That’s what I don’t understand. When Netflix increases the price, I get it. Talent costs money. But this feels short sighted. What is going to happen when the price of oil drops and the supply chain clears up? Those are not permanent issues. But because Hasbro is raising the price now, it is highly unlikely they will drop the price later. When has that ever happened in the toy industry? Rather they will just lock in the improved margin. It screams of a company that doesn’t want to eat the higher costs until things get better. They will find that demand for their toys is more elastic than they think.

Heh, strange how I grew up in a time not that long ago when plastic was replacing sturdier materials like aluminum and steel throughout the economy. Now plastics are being faze out, never thought that would happen in my lifetime. I guess this is called progress, using less and less fossil fuels. Well, with this new price point, shipping and sales tax will bump these up to the $30.00 + range for most people. That will probably be the point I bow out. I used to collect everything ML related and have gotten much more selective in recent years, this will be the next step I suppose. I'm sure I will collect a figure I've been wanting them to make for 20 years here and there, maybe even a BAF off ebay too, but that will probably be all.

Here in Canada most retailers are already charging 39.99! (which happened about 2 weeks ago) a figure, some are at 36.99, You wanna come to Canada and collect legends?, these figures are nowhere near worth 45 dollars after tax, I'm pretty angry about it, I'm already selective but now I'm going to be extremly selective, and 1 more price hike here I might just get out of it all together, how is Mcfarlane producing figures for 25-29 (CAD) ? but Hasbro needs to be making 40 dollar figures worth half that, and are hardly giving anything new at all or better for it.

On 1/26/2022 at 12:52 PM, Fetisone said:

Prices goes up and the quality stays the same if not going worse..

I'd say it's a 50/50 5 out of 10 figures are the same, 5 are worse, but hey Pinless ! and Vulcan Buck wooohooo! 😉

This is such a bummer. In an already rough time for money for most people, they had already made a price increase... they are now doing it again less than a year later. They arent even improving upon what theyve already been doing for many years. We are still getting and going to get many many reused parts we got for cheaper before. The worst part is this is the new set price, it wont ever get lower again. I loved this line so much due to the easy to digest $19.99 price tag with tax of course. But for this price, they arent worth it. This may be the last I collect Legends anymore. Its at a point where 3 of these are equivalent to my beloved Storm collectibles! And with that I will just give Storm my money. 

I collect many different toy lines, with Marvel Legends and 3.75" Star Wars being two of the highest priorities. That being said, it will definitely impact how much I buy. If anything, I should be spending less than I am right now on toys. I will definitely have more of a "hierarchy" of how I prioritize things- I will pre-order the high priority figures, but I will take a "wait and see" attitude with more figures, and see if I can get them below MSRP at some point. I'll also continue to cut down on how many Star Wars Black Series figures I buy, and cut down on Transformers, etc.. The biggest issue is that Hasbro keeps lowering plastic quality and having quality control issues. I am getting more Hasbro figures with "frozen" joints, for example. The fact that Hasbro can't even replace defective figures with the exact figure adds to the issues. Call me crazy, but maybe Hasbro just has to consider making a LOWER PROFIT MARGIN on each figure. That's one of the issues with being a publicly traded company- anything that isn't growth in profit is considered bad. 

On 1/26/2022 at 8:18 AM, Archaengel said:

"...The frustrating thing is that these figures are not worth $25. Which means BBTS will sell them for $27 and deluxe figures could be anywhere from $37 to $45 for something like Vulture, or $55 for something like MODOK....Legends simply aren't worth that. You're telling me that repainted retro Hobgoblin is worth $27? Get real. There's way too many other companies making figures in this price range for more value for me to keep giving ML my money. I've already started cutting back on ML and putting it towards other lines last year. This is just all the more reason to..."

They definitely are not worth it when they're being produced with error after error, and overpriced parts we can do without. They're not worth it when the company isn't respecting the fans, and giving us what we want. They're not worth it when the company is hell bent on sticking with "exclusive" markets, with proven poor performance, that just shut out that fans that want to give them money. They're not worth the frustration, the disappointment , or the time. And its sad, 'cause its a great line.

I'm almost done with the figures I really want, and my budget keeps getting thinner. If the figures were easy to come by, if scalpers didn't overprice figures leading some to not get a wave since there's that ONE or TWO figures that are impossible to find at retail... If there weren't so much competing lines right now. I mean I get it, there's something for everyone, but one can't hope to buy everything when it's all avalanching towards you in the middle of an already difficult situation. Give us time to breathe, give yourselves time to breathe and you can justify the price climbing.

i for one did expected this, i'd say regardless of reasons this might had come anyway. and i mean with Marvel Legends it shouldn't be much of a trouble i guess since i'm not so sure if there are any other more figures of the line i'd be invested to get, even some MCU ones, perhaps it might affect a lot if i where to get more Marvel legends which doesn't seem to be much of a case, but i do know that with G.I. Joe Classified perhaps this will affect me more worst since i've been into that line lately.

Even so i'm not entirely sure about the newer legends coming, i confess X-men and FF4 stuff are a pass for me since i'm not a huge fan of them, but for other waves of the lines there isn't much of a selection i'd be into, granted when it comes to the MCU ones i think i'd be just looking forward for Mordo, Wong and both Hawkeyes (Clint and Kate), so far that's just about it, maybe?, yet even if Hasbro by any chance does make some MCU characters that need a figure i doubt they'll be worth my money really because of price increase and personal preference for me.

Time to move on.

Even tho the new standard bucks feel great in hand. I like everything about them. They should’ve made that transition a while ago. No pegs and the quality of plastic.
Now MANY collectors have loaded up on older bucks and are not going to be quick on buying the same characters on the newer buck$. I know I’m one of those collectors. Tho if I see a desired figure readily available and at a discounted price down from the $24.99, I’d be inclined to scoop some up. Tho unlikely that the hotter ones would be sitting on the shelves at a discounted rate waiting to be bought by me.