Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 Will Mark The End Of The Current Team According To James Gunn

JayC

Director James Gunn in a recent interview with Deadline said this 3rd installment of Guardians due out May 5, 2023 will be the last time people see the current team of Guardians together. He also said the movie will be big and dark.

“I just want to be true to the characters, the story and give people the wrap-up that they deserve for the story,” Gunn continued, “That’s always a little bit scary; I’m doing my best.

GOTG-MCU.jpg

On 1/28/2022 at 12:01 PM, JohnF said:

This feels right. I think their story could be concluded in this one movie and I think it's for the best. Looking forward to an emotional final chapter

I would imagine however we won't be seeing the last of the Guardians of the Galaxy, just these characters as the members, they will likely have a new team step into their place, whether that team gets their own movie..well who knows, but it's like they are reformatting the avengers, I'm sure the same goes for Guardians, I could see them moving towards adding members like Adam Warlock, Keeping maybe Mantis, bringing in Phyla-Vel, Moondragon , maybe Vance can show up, or hey maybe they wanna do that ANAD version once X-men appear in MCU we can have a Kitty lead team. Who knows , but I'm sure it won't be the end of Gaurdians just of that specific team.

On 1/29/2022 at 5:11 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I would imagine however we won't be seeing the last of the Guardians of the Galaxy, just these characters as the members, they will likely have a new team step into their place, whether that team gets their own movie..well who knows, but it's like they are reformatting the avengers, I'm sure the same goes for Guardians, I could see them moving towards adding members like Adam Warlock, Keeping maybe Mantis, bringing in Phyla-Vel, Moondragon , maybe Vance can show up, or hey maybe they wanna do that ANAD version once X-men appear in MCU we can have a Kitty lead team. Who knows , but I'm sure it won't be the end of Gaurdians just of that specific team.

Yeah, it will be end of this roster, but there'll be a new team.

On 1/29/2022 at 7:11 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yup we'll see a new team moving forward with probably some of the original members, or maybe not. Actually I'm looking forward to seeing a new Guardians team, with some new characters like the ones you mentioned, there's a lot of possibilities. 

It makes sense- The Avengers have a changing roster in the films, not shocking that The Guardians would do the same. I could see, say, Rocket, Groot, and Mantis sticking around, and the rest of the team leaving. We'll see what happens with Gamora, and Chris Pratt has gotten to be a bigger, more expensive star as the movies have gone on- I could see him wanting to leave, and/or wanting a HUGE paycheck. I know Dave Bautista was also very unhappy with them firing James Gunn, and I don't think he's interested in being Drax unless Gunn is involved. 

Guardians was a surprise for me 'cause at the time I didn't think it would do well compared to the other MCU films up to that point. That Gunn wants this iteration to move on is not an awful thing. However I don't think the idea of making this final entry "dark" will go over well.....MCU has had its share of dark and something more upbeat is a nice change of pace.