Dakota Johnson to Play Madame Web in Sony's Marvel Universe

JayC

According to Variety, actress Dakota Johnson (Fifty Shades of Grey) will be taking on the role of Madame Web in Sony's Spider-Man Marvel Universe. In the comics the original Madame Web who's real name is Cassandra Webb was a clairvoyant, and precognitive mutant portrayed as a blind, paralyzed elderly woman who was connected to a life support system resembling a spiderweb. Later a former Spider-Woman named Julia Carpenter took on the mantle of Madame Web. It's not clear which version of the Web character Johnson will be playing.

“Madame Web” is one of several Spider-Man related spinoffs in development by Sony.

Madame-Web.jpg

On 2/3/2022 at 1:08 PM, leokearon said:

Not sure how a Madame Web movie would even work. All she does is see the future and bugs others to maybe do something about it.

Hahaha honestly you are not wrong, Yeah I trully question what a Madame Web movie would be like, I'm really trying here but maybe she forms a team to yeah know do something about something in the future she bugs them to fix?

I don't understand why Sony wants to make a movie about every character they've got. It's not the way it goes. Venom might have worked in numbers, you know,cause of the income, but the movies were so weak. People watched these movies because of the character and how famous venom is. But that doesn't go for everyone. Now there's Morbius on the way and I think the movie will do even worse than Venom and then they're already working on a Kraven movie, which has more chances of flopping than succeeding. Madame Web is apparently next...you know what make a movie about spider ham too. 

P.S. Sorry about the rant, lol.

On 2/3/2022 at 10:58 AM, JohnF said:

"I don't understand why Sony wants to make a movie about every character they've got. It's not the way it goes. Venom might have worked in numbers, you know,cause of the income, but the movies were so weak....you know what make a movie about spider ham too..."

I hear ya. They should've taken a lesson from eternals; if you want to adapt a marvel property, put some more thought into it. Also there are plenty of over 40-50 yr old actresses out there who would much better serve this role. 

I didn't know Sony got the rights to everything Spider-Man related. Or did they. 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, JohnF said:

Don't be sorry. You're right. Sony is desperately clawing at the spider-man property trying to make their own MCU that they will make anything from the Spider-man franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a White Rabbit money.  

On 2/3/2022 at 11:24 PM, Atlantis said:

I hear ya. They should've taken a lesson from eternals; if you want to adapt a marvel property, put some more thought into it. Also there are plenty of over 40-50 yr old actresses out there who would much better serve this role. 

I didn't know Sony got the rights to everything Spider-Man related. Or did they. 

Now that you're saying it, I kinda wanna check it out to make sure, but I thought they had the rights to all the spiderman related characters. 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:25 PM, tarot said:

Don't be sorry. You're right. Sony is desperately clawing at the spider-man property trying to make their own MCU that they will make anything from the Spider-man franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a White Rabbit money.  

Right? These guys are going nuts with the characters that they have thinking that every one of them is movie material. 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:15 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Hahaha honestly you are not wrong, Yeah I trully question what a Madame Web movie would be like, I'm really trying here but maybe she forms a team to yeah know do something about something in the future she bugs them to fix?

Then it wouldn't really be about her would it? That would be like calling the Avengers movie; Nick Fury

On 2/3/2022 at 9:25 PM, tarot said:

Yeah, it's going to get ridiculous 

They probably want Madame web as connective tissue for their future  bigger spider verse crossover movies, since Madame Web played important role in these events and sony wouldn't need Dr. Strange and his spells and instead will use magic of Madame web for multiverse hero travel. as well as  explaining whole mythology of web connecting all spiders across the multiverse and such, but they also want younger actor so possibility could be Dakota is playing Julia Carpenter who will take over mantle of older Madame Web in similar style of Doctor Strange taking over from Ancient one. 

If the Venom movies proved anything it’s that Venom does not work without Spider-Man. No Spidey presence really makes the character of Venom something different than the source material. Which is fine but don’t say it’s Marvels Venom.

Morbius May work as so much of who he is as a character isn’t tied as directly to Spidey as Venom is.

Madame Web though? Just makes no sense. And Sony has proven that they don’t understand the characters they control. Eh who knows, maybe their take, no matter how far from the source material it falls will be better than what Marvel has done. Not like the bar is set very high on either Madame Web or Sony Marvel films.

On 2/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Question is Sony thought that Madame Web and Kraven movies were better bets then the 2 movies they scrapped about Black Cat and Silver Sable? , becuase those actually could be okay movies, worthy of being movies...not Madame Web.

A Black Cat movie could work, though they would have to deal with all the Catwoman knock-off problems

On 2/4/2022 at 12:43 PM, McHogan said:

"...Madame Web though? Just makes no sense. And Sony has proven that they don’t understand the characters they control...."

When the Eternals was announced there was a lot of head scratching from the fan community, then severe doubts as to whether that was a prudent choice. Clearly it wasn't; it wasn't an awful movie but it damn sure was mediocre, and pointless, and I can't imagine a Madame Web doing any better. Sony, restricted to Spider-Man, may not have the plethora of character choices Marvel has, but certainly they could do something else. Maybe this time listen to the fans and think twice. 

On 2/5/2022 at 11:20 AM, Atlantis said:

When the Eternals was announced there was a lot of head scratching from the fan community, then severe doubts as to whether that was a prudent choice. Clearly it wasn't; it wasn't an awful movie but it damn sure was mediocre, and pointless, and I can't imagine a Madame Web doing any better. Sony, restricted to Spider-Man, may not have the plethora of character choices Marvel has, but certainly they could do something else. Maybe this time listen to the fans and think twice. 

I agree. They can't be releasing movies as if their possible failure is no big deal and there are actually many possibilities it will be a failure. 

On 2/5/2022 at 3:35 AM, JohnF said:

I agree. They can't be releasing movies as if their possible failure is no big deal and there are actually many possibilities it will be a failure. 

Yeah, and I hate to be That Guy....downing something that hasn't come out yet, and frankly may never come....but in this case. I'm just not seeing this as making any sense. Madam Web as a character, a minor bit player, even a pivotal character in a particular storyline...maybe. But the central character for an entire movie? 

I'm not up on which Spidey-related characters Sony has "rights" to. I keep hearing Silver Sable and I'm not sure why....sure, she debuted in his book but quite a few characters have as well. Then there are those he has close relationships with like the Human Torch, Daredevil, Iron Fist....are they all Sony too? Anyway I don't have any interest in Sable, but I could see a movie about a mercenary who has her own cadre/mercenaries behind her.

On 2/5/2022 at 3:56 AM, leokearon said:

A Black Cat movie could work, though they would have to deal with all the Catwoman knock-off problems

I'm sure, but it's not likely at this point most would care, the last Catwoman movie...well we'd like to forget that, I also think Silver Sable could have really worked, she just does Merc jobs runs around looking cool and hot, seems like a winner there, seen movies about less.

I was always surprised they scrapped those movies the Black Cat and Silver Sable films, plus remember they were going to do a movie where they two teamed up Silver & Black , guess the eyes got to big after Venom. Well I wish Sony luck..in all of their endeavours into the spider-verse but...

On 2/5/2022 at 7:20 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'm sure, but it's not likely at this point most would care, the last Catwoman movie...well we'd like to forget that, I also think Silver Sable could have really worked, she just does Merc jobs runs around looking cool and hot, seems like a winner there, seen movies about less.

I was always surprised they scrapped those movies the Black Cat and Silver Sable films, plus remember they were going to do a movie where they two teamed up Silver & Black , guess the eyes got to big after Venom. Well I wish Sony luck..in all of their endeavours into the spider-verse but...

I was referring to the character in general not just that "movie".

Still it is strange that both Felicia and Silver's movies were scrapped especially when they seem to be already scrapping the bottom of the barrel 

On 2/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, leokearon said:

I was referring to the character in general not just that "movie".

Still it is strange that both Felicia and Silver's movies were scrapped especially when they seem to be already scrapping the bottom of the barrel 

Yes true, about the characters obvious similarities, but I don't think it would matter too much, these days everything's the same and if it says Marvel nobody will ask questions.

Yeah that's my thing you had two great characters that would work very well on the big screen and are way more popular (well Black Cat) then Madame Web and Kraven, well maybe we can get a Ben Urich movie, and The secret Diary of Aunt May.