Witness The Explosive Power Of Binary In The Next Arc Of Captain Marvel

JayC

“The Last of the Marvels,” the current saga heating up the pages of Kelly Thompson’s CAPTAIN MARVEL run will come to a cataclysmic end in next week’s CAPTAIN MARVEL #36. The story was packed with developments that will have a major impact on the Captain mythos including the return of Genis-Vell and the reemergence of Carol Danver’s powerful cosmic form known as Binary! But this Binary isn’t Carol Danvers at all… The mysterious origins and powers of this new version of Binary will be further explored in a new arc beginning in May’s CAPTAIN MARVEL #38. This perfect jumping on point will see Binary take over as Captain Marvel when Carol Danvers goes missing. Fans can check out Marvel Stormbreaker R.B. Silva’s cover of the issue showcasing some of Captain Marvel’s most iconic costumes over the years as well as Russell Dauterman’s original design sheets for Binary’s new look, a modern spin on the legendary Dave Cockrum’s classic design.

Carol’s disappearance has left the newly sentient Binary to fill in, but stepping into the shoes of one of Earth’s greatest heroes is no easy feat. As Binary finds herself plunged into a world she barely understands, the questions about exactly who and what Binary is grow deeper. And where IS Captain Marvel anyway?!

"I'm really excited about this wild new arc for Carol and Binary -- it's called TRIALS -- and lemme tell you, these ladies are going through it,” Thompson said. "Carol Danvers' time as Binary was one of her most fascinating -- and also one of her best and most powerful looks. And while Carol sometimes taps into that power -- it's a name and look that's been just sitting on the shelf, unused -- so we thought, why not have both? There's no reason we can't have Captain Marvel and also Binary -- and with that the wheels started turning on the creation of this awesome new character. It's been such a fun ride so far and there's so much more in store for her!"

"I was very happy to design this!” Dauterman said. “I love Dave Cockrum’s original design (ever since I first saw Binary, when she punched Rogue through a roof!) — I wanted to keep that vibe, but modernize the look a bit and pull in some of Carol’s current iconography."

"It was such a thrill to get Russell Dauterman to do the Binary design,” Thompson added. “The original design is SO strong that we knew we needed someone with Russell's incredible gift for costume design if we had any hope of doing it justice."

Don’t miss this brand-new arc in Kelly Thompson’s award-winning epic series continues when CAPTAIN MARVEL #38 hits stands on May 4.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #38
Written by KELLY THOMPSON
Art by JUAN FRIGERI & & ÁLVARO LÓPEZ
Cover by R.B. SILVA
On Sale 5/4

CAPMARV2019038_cvr.jpg

CaptainMarvel_Dauterman-design-1.jpg

CaptainMarvel_Dauterman-design-2.jpg

On 2/9/2022 at 8:19 PM, monron999 said:

Does this mean we get to see the return of Monica Rambeau as Captain Marvel? She seemed to be pretty popular when she was the leader of the Avengers. As I recall, Carol Danvers was more widely popular when she was Warbird or as a trapped psyche in Rogue's body.

Danvers is still captain marvel and will be for quite a while. 

If you read it,, you would see its not dancers that is Binary.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:18 PM, tarot said:

Danvers is still captain marvel and will be for quite a while. 

If you read it,, you would see its not dancers that is Binary.

I did read it. The now sentient Binary takes over as the mystery of where Carol has been......blah, blah, blah, I know. It's just that with Marvel you never know what they're up to and they often don't even know which way their headed themselves. I'm just wondering, since Rambeau is being received so well with both long time fans and new fans in the MCU when Marvel is gonna do the smart thing and bring her back. There are two Captain Americas, why can't there be two Captain Marvels? Maybe Monica can be the Earthbound one while carol does her whole Universal thing. But I guess I'm asking too much. I mean the words smart and Marvel aren't exactly synonymous.

On 2/9/2022 at 6:43 PM, ADour said:

Dauterman really knows how to deliver a great design.

Yes, that seems to be his forte. Even the form and anatomy of his art seems to mirror typical "designer" type art where the detail of musculature and pose is lessened to give the attention to the overlay. Sometimes he's way over the top, but this time it seems to be a perfect balance of classic and modern that it looks right.