Marvel Netflix Based Shows Leaving Streaming Service In March

JayC

It's being reported that all the Marvel based Netflix shows will be leaving the streaming service in March. This includes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders and Punisher. Netflix canceled these shows three years ago and of course we recently saw actor Charlie Cox reprise his role as Matt Murdock in Spider-Man: No Way Home and Vincent D’Onofrio as Kingpin in Hawkeye.

Whether these Netflix shows will end up being streamed on Disney+ as some later date remains unknown.

Netflix-Marvel.jpg

This IS a bummer as I often have revisited the DareDevil show since its original run ended. By far the best adaptation of DD yet, granted the bar wasn’t set very high.

i own the official releases for the the first 2 seasons on Blu Ray but don’t think they ever got around to releasing the third officially. Which screws with my OCD terribly. I’ve tried getting all MCU (adjacent) shows to add to my collection but Netflix petered out on releasing Marvel content after their spat.. always hoped for a complete series release..

heres hoping they find a home on D+ or its family. 

On 2/11/2022 at 11:09 AM, Jmacq1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up on Hulu.  They might be a little bit too "edgy" for D+ but I can't imagine Disney/Marvel will just let them disappear, especially with them working on re-integrating the actors/characters into current material.

I wondered about that as well. At first I thought DD would be a little too violent for D+ but then turned on Hawkeye to watch arrows through the hand, arm snaps.. not terribly different than original D+ stuff. Though in season 2 with the Punisher and the cell block fight as well as the diner assault.. ok as I write this Punisher context maybe go too far for D+ haha

On 2/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, tarot said:

Too violent for disney. Obviously haven't watch mando or Boba fett.

A human’s head is bashed in with a car door in episode 3 of DD. Mando and Boba kill, but there’s no blood, and the only human killed was the Client IIRC. While I don’t doubt these could go to d+, my money’s on Star+ 

On 2/11/2022 at 3:47 PM, memocromatico said:

A human’s head is bashed in with a car door in episode 3 of DD. Mando and Boba kill, but there’s no blood, and the only human killed was the Client IIRC. While I don’t doubt these could go to d+, my money’s on Star+ 

Star+ appears to only be a thing in Latin America. Hulu, in the United States, seems like where the Defenders shows would end up. Since Hit Monkey is apparently on Disney + in Europe, that's probably where these shows will go, assuming they go anywhere but gone.

Daredevil saw a massive boost in viewership after the one-two punch of No Way Home and the Hawkeye finale. 

I figured something like this was eventually coming, since any way you cut it, I'm sure that arrangement was pissing someone off. From Disney's perspective they basically just gave a boost to their direct competitor, while I'm sure from Netflix's view they now had a show directly advertising stuff for a rival streaming service (especially since it's rumored Daredevil is also returning for She-Hulk, which would make sense since they're both superhero lawyers).

Personally I think it's time for Disney to grow up a bit. I don't mean that in any kind of judgmental way. I'm fine with providers that have content aimed just for children or families. If Disney wants me, an adult, to continue to subscribing to their service, they have to provide me with content that I want to watch. The Punisher should be part of the MCU but if they're going to stay true to the character, he's going to have some edgier violence than their typical show. Put a content warning on it. Restrict it with parental controls. There's a rumor their Deadpool movie will be R rated. I think that would be the right move for them in terms of broadening their customer base so they can compete with the other media companies. I've been enjoying Titans and Peacemaker on HBO. I'm not expecting nudity from Disney but they shouldn't be afraid to make content for adults, if they want adults as customers.

On 2/11/2022 at 9:31 AM, McHogan said:

This IS a bummer as I often have revisited the DareDevil show since its original run ended. By far the best adaptation of DD yet, granted the bar wasn’t set very high.

i own the official releases for the the first 2 seasons on Blu Ray but don’t think they ever got around to releasing the third officially. Which screws with my OCD terribly. I’ve tried getting all MCU (adjacent) shows to add to my collection but Netflix petered out on releasing Marvel content after their spat.. always hoped for a complete series release..

heres hoping they find a home on D+ or its family. 

I have to agree... A big problem I had with Netflix before I canceled it was they never put any of the Netflix shows on DVD.  Yea, they were available for streaming but I wanted the Punisher series on DVD.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:33 PM, ransomz said:

Personally I think it's time for Disney to grow up a bit. I don't mean that in any kind of judgmental way. I'm fine with providers that have content aimed just for children or families. If Disney wants me, an adult, to continue to subscribing to their service, they have to provide me with content that I want to watch. The Punisher should be part of the MCU but if they're going to stay true to the character, he's going to have some edgier violence than their typical show. Put a content warning on it. Restrict it with parental controls. There's a rumor their Deadpool movie will be R rated. I think that would be the right move for them in terms of broadening their customer base so they can compete with the other media companies. I've been enjoying Titans and Peacemaker on HBO. I'm not expecting nudity from Disney but they shouldn't be afraid to make content for adults, if they want adults as customers.

I think they will but not on Disney+ probably Hulu or Star+ depending on your region...

On 2/12/2022 at 2:45 PM, Hogun said:

They should end up on Disney+. Especially for those who have not seen Daredevil want to know more about Matt Murdock and Wilson Fisk.

It would also make the most sense for them to have all their MCU shows in one place.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:33 PM, ransomz said:

I mean, plenty of adults spend a ton of money going to see the PG-13 rated MCU films, so I don't think they're having any problems getting adults as customers.  Even beyond that Disney "grew up" a long time ago...they own tons of media outlets, several of which have produced R-rated fare in the past.  The primary Disney brand may still try to present a family-friendly front but as an overall corporation they're not squeamish.

So far Disney+ has been pretty strictly PG-13 rated (at least in the United States).  It's not all super-kiddified but the violence is generally bloodless superheroic or sci-fi action (which you can have a pretty much unlimited amount of and still be considered PG-13 as long as it isn't bloody/graphic).  The Netflix shows pushed those boundaries quite a bit and definitely veered into at least "light R-Rated" territory for violence and were also "sexier" than the MCU films as well.  So putting them on D+ might be jarring for some parents who have generally felt that D+ was a "safe-ish" outlet for their kids.  Not saying it's impossible, but I'm still putting my money on Hulu (in the States).   That seems to be where a lot of apocryphal and/or adult-oriented Marvel stuff is going. 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, Jmacq1 said:

I mean, plenty of adults spend a ton of money going to see the PG-13 rated MCU films, so I don't think they're having any problems getting adults as customers.  Even beyond that Disney "grew up" a long time ago...they own tons of media outlets, several of which have produced R-rated fare in the past.  The primary Disney brand may still try to present a family-friendly front but as an overall corporation they're not squeamish.

So far Disney+ has been pretty strictly PG-13 rated (at least in the United States).  It's not all super-kiddified but the violence is generally bloodless superheroic or sci-fi action (which you can have a pretty much unlimited amount of and still be considered PG-13 as long as it isn't bloody/graphic).  The Netflix shows pushed those boundaries quite a bit and definitely veered into at least "light R-Rated" territory for violence and were also "sexier" than the MCU films as well.  So putting them on D+ might be jarring for some parents who have generally felt that D+ was a "safe-ish" outlet for their kids.  Not saying it's impossible, but I'm still putting my money on Hulu (in the States).   That seems to be where a lot of apocryphal and/or adult-oriented Marvel stuff is going. 

I agree with you that this is the way it's probably going to go. I think that would be a mistake though. This is a chance for Disney to take another baby step out of kindergarten. With parent controls they can have a safe place for kids without limiting their market presence. It's Disney+ that wants to overtake Netflix, not Hulu. 

On 2/12/2022 at 6:58 PM, SpiderS said:

I think reason why it won't be on Disney+ is more likely to be new vision and direction for these characters, and they don't want that old vision to confuse viewers.  Also Disney+ has Logan movie which has violence and small scene with boobs. 

Yeah, the R-rated and more mature stuff is on Disney+ in the rest of the world where Hulu isn't a thing. In the states, though, Logan is on Hulu and not on Disney+. And yeah, like I alluded to above, there is also the very real possibility that once these shows leave Netflix, that's it for them. (Some of) the characters will continue to appear in Marvel studios projects, but Kevin Feige may likely have no issues pretending that the Netflix-produced series that showcased them never happened.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:40 PM, ransomz said:

I agree with you that this is the way it's probably going to go. I think that would be a mistake though. This is a chance for Disney to take another baby step out of kindergarten. With parent controls they can have a safe place for kids without limiting their market presence. It's Disney+ that wants to overtake Netflix, not Hulu. 

Hey it's now being stated that Moon Knight is rated TV-14 , so is that not a movement towards more Netflix like Edge, you can see in that Empire magazine cover he has blood on his knuckles.

On 2/14/2022 at 8:39 PM, Satam said:

Not necessarily. Hawkeye, Loki, and Falcon and the Winter Soldier had that rating as well. All the Netflix Marvel shows were rated TV-MA.

Oh I wasn't even aware that the other shows had that same rating, I thought they might have been PG, well then I guess Moon Knight isn't going to be much more violent if at all in reality. But I'm not actually sure how much can be shown when it comes to TV-14, maybe they can push it a bit more, no clue on flexibility.

It should come as no surprised after it was announced earlier this month that the Marvel Netflix shows were leaving Netflix at the end of this month, but Disney has now announced those shows which includes Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Cage, Iron Fist, The Defenders and Punisher will now be streamed on Disney+ starting on March 18. This will be followed by the new Moon Knight series which will premier on March 30.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:55 PM, AnotherPunkChef said:

DD's appearance in NWH has caused his Marvel Legend figure to skyrocket on the secondary market. Jessica Jones too. Hopefully we'll get a new figure of him once he shows up in She-Hulk (nothing confirmed, but she's a lawyer and he's a very good lawyer...)

With them coming to D+ now, I'm hoping that gives Hasbro an excuse to rerelease some of those figures and maybe give us new ones. Iron Fist and Colleen were never widely available and are currently going for $150+ apiece on the aftermarket now, plus I've always wanted more characters from the shows. Kingpin, Kilgrave, Jigsaw, Stick, Misty, suited Matt, just to name a few.