Hasbro Fan-Monday Live-Stream For February Coverage

JayC

On 2/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, tarot said:

@ADour as the forums resident Iron Man expert, would you call the mk 70 the "Back to Basics" armor, since from what I read it is essentially just an upgraded Classic armor?

I don’t know what it is called but something looks off about the helmet, reminds me of how South Park draws babies.. can almost see the top of Iron Man’s head bobble off the bottom as I write this

On 2/23/2022 at 8:45 PM, McHogan said:

I don’t know what it is called but something looks off about the helmet, reminds me of how South Park draws babies.. can almost see the top of Iron Man’s head bobble off the bottom as I write this

3E5031AF-D92E-41CA-A6A2-0C8C6A374696.png

Lol. It isn't the way they do babies. It's the way they do Canadians. This baby in particular is Stan's brother who only looks like that cuz he's an adopted Canadian baby. It's been a standing joke for a long time and it's still hilarious 25 years later.

You are right about the Iron Man helmet though. While Alex Ross is a talented artist he's really never been all that great a designer. His technique is great but I've never been a fan of his style. His particular twist that he puts on the characters are often a little over the top and a lot awkward looking. His work often results in looking forced and over exaggerated in his attempt to be unique. It comes out looking like a well executed mess. It's easy to assume great artists are great designers but they are two completely different skill sets.

Edit: Self correction. This is Kyle's little brother. Not a big deal, just making sure the South Park fans don't have to correct me.

On 2/23/2022 at 8:58 PM, tarot said:

@ADour as the forums resident Iron Man expert, would you call the mk 70 the "Back to Basics" armor, since from what I read it is essentially just an upgraded Classic armor?

Normally when an armor doesn't have a unique name I stick to the "Model XX" nomenclature, but I would say "Back to Basics" is a decent moniker.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:44 PM, Atlantis said:

What the hasblro legends team needs to do is treat the female figs the same way they do male figs. They have a mold for Cap, Spider-Man and Thor. These aren't interchangeable and no one would expect to see Spidey on a Cap mold, or Cap on a Thor mold. It shouldn't be hard for them to realize then that the Black Widow, the Wasp, Moondragon and Thundra can't share a "common" size either. The mold they use for a teenager like Kate Bishop can't be used for the Black Widow, nor should it be some kind of "default". It stuns me that they work so hard on doing great head sculpts, but too often just phone it in for the bodies.

I'm not saying retire the "teen" buck. I'm saying keep it, but also have a more robust, classic female mold, a taller one, and one for characters like Valkyrie, She-Hulk, etc. Just like they do for your Spideys, Caps, and Thors.

Valkyrie and Thundra do have taller mold, though not enough for Thundra . The problem is other different body molds are all the same height, like the Bishop mold , Rogue  and the Hellcat. The same with Pizza spidey, Buckey and the UK spider molds  for sized-different male characters. I'm okay with Bishop mold being the  "default" cuz it's not like teenager at all. I want a shorter and skinner mold between Bishop and Jubilee for the rest female characters.

What does everyone think of the new Storm figure? I think it looks pretty good, but there are some changes I’d like to see made. Who knows, maybe they still can! 

-It would be nice if they had a face that could be swapped out, so that her eyes could be white or have pupils 

-It would be good for her to have hi-heeled shoes.

-It would be nice if her skin tone was lighter, so that it more closely matched the cartoon.

335DD106-5547-4EBA-BD0F-C50A856477CF.thumb.png.f64c85f43872903dc70f40e05a53820e.png

58C55607-A329-4B2C-9DA2-28486A655AEE.png

On 2/24/2022 at 9:15 PM, Lightingfan said:

Of all those, I just wish that they could do the high-heals. That sounds simple to change.

No. High heel on figure are bad. They don't stand properly and even if they did would fall instantly. Hasbri used to do them but got so many complaints they gave all woman flat shoes.

Also that comment about giving it lighter skin, I really think you should rethink that. Show accuracy or not,  saying the only black member of the main team should have lighter skin is something that you shouldn't say.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:55 PM, Mochan said:

Valkyrie and Thundra do have taller mold, though not enough for Thundra . The problem is other different body molds are all the same height, like the Bishop mold , Rogue  and the Hellcat. The same with Pizza spidey, Buckey and the UK spider molds  for sized-different male characters. I'm okay with Bishop mold being the  "default" cuz it's not like teenager at all. I want a shorter and skinner mold between Bishop and Jubilee for the rest female characters.

Just to put it in perspective, they use the same mold for Shiklah and the Black Widow that they do for Kate Bishop.

Per the comics, Shiklah is about 146lbs, Viper is 140lbs, Natasha is 130-134 lbs, but Kate is 120lbs. That buck might work for her, but no way is it accurate for a succubus or the Black Widow. 

Not to mention Photon or Typhoid Mary (who is supposed to be 5'10" 140lbs).  The male figures don't have a default mold (though the Sunfire is getting to be WAY over used) and the females shouldn't either. Regardless, that mold is just too spindly for accuracy.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:48 AM, Atlantis said:

Just to put it in perspective, they use the same mold for Shiklah and the Black Widow that they do for Kate Bishop.

Per the comics, Shiklah is about 146lbs, Viper is 140lbs, Natasha is 130-134 lbs, but Kate is 120lbs. That buck might work for her, but no way is it accurate for a succubus or the Black Widow. 

Not to mention Photon or Typhoid Mary (who is supposed to be 5'10" 140lbs).  The male figures don't have a default mold (though the Sunfire is getting to be WAY over used) and the females shouldn't either. Regardless, that mold is just too spindly for accuracy.

I agreed with you on the inaccurate using and setting the default mold. Choosing Bishop mold for Black Widow in the retro wave was a mistake, but in the motorcycle set Hasbro designed a smaller one, which was better though not perfect. What annoying me is the same heights between different molds while the weights you mentioned mainly being reflected by those sculpted torsos and thighs. The Bishop mold is both too spindly in shape for female adults and too big in size for teenagers, which looks apparently not like 120lbs.

On 2/26/2022 at 10:01 PM, Mochan said:

"I agreed with you on the inaccurate using and setting the default mold. Choosing Bishop mold for Black Widow in the retro wave was a mistake, but in the motorcycle set Hasbro designed a smaller one, which was better though not perfect. What annoying me is the same heights between different molds...."

All easy to fix errors if they would just invest the time and effort, which they don't seem to want to do. Its baffling. I really thought they would at least get Madame Hydra right this time around, but like I said whoever that's supposed to be, its not her. And I just can't stand having figures in my collection that I don't even like looking at. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
Hasbro has released images of the packaging by David Nakayama for their upcoming Marvel Legends 6" USAgent, Speedball, Blue Marvel and Madame Hydra. These figures are all part of the Controller Build-A-Figure wave which is available for pre-order at our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth. The other figures in the wave includes Iron Man (Model 70 Armor), Quake and Thor (Donny Cates Inspired).

Package-Art-00.jpg

Package-Art-01.jpg

Package-Art-02.jpg

Package-Art-03.jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 11:30 PM, Atlantis said:

All easy to fix errors if they would just invest the time and effort, which they don't seem to want to do. Its baffling. I really thought they would at least get Madame Hydra right this time around, but like I said whoever that's supposed to be, its not her. And I just can't stand having figures in my collection that I don't even like looking at. I'll spend my money elsewhere.

It is kinda cool once your collection gets to a place where you have most of what you want and become selective. As you have said, still frustrating when they don’t get things right that shouldn’t have been that hard to get right, but great to be able to say I am going to pass on this.

Since Nakayama is doing the packaging artwork, now I'm thinking it's a missed opportunity not to repurpose his own recent Iron Man variant cover. Not that it's the end of the world, it would just have been a clever move for consistency. (I think it's also possible he got comissioned this cover after Hasbro was set on the packaging design for this wave)

david-nakayama-ironman-19-1200v.jpg

On 2/23/2022 at 6:45 PM, McHogan said:

3E5031AF-D92E-41CA-A6A2-0C8C6A374696.png

I think part of the problem is they made the eyes too big (specifically too large vertically) and emphasized the jaw a little too much compared to how it is in most of the art.  The helmet looks great in art, but this was not the ideal realization of it in physical form.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:31 PM, JayC said:
Hasbro has released images of the packaging by David Nakayama for their upcoming Marvel Legends 6" USAgent, Speedball, Blue Marvel and Madame Hydra. These figures are all part of the Controller Build-A-Figure wave which is available for pre-order at our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth. The other figures in the wave includes Iron Man (Model 70 Armor), Quake and Thor (Donny Cates Inspired).

Package-Art-00.jpg

This pic really illustrates that USAgent needed bigger body or at least bigger arms, beefy arms from Punisher with slight modification would work great and really would have distinguished him from Cap. I wouldn't be even be mad if they slightly remolded that body with USAgent details like boots and gloves, as you can see in pics that beefy Punisher is much closer to USAgent body wise and just better body sculpt altogether. 

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...