Unpopular Opinions Figure edition

Dabboi

Personally, I think "animated" style figures (like the Legends X-Men VHS cel-shaded or the Lightning Collection Pink Ranger cel-shaded) look bad, the cel-shading just doesn't translate to 3D for me.

What do you think? What are your unpopular opinions, related to action figures and action figure collecting?

On 2/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, Dabboi said:

Personally, I think "animated" style figures (like the Legends X-Men VHS cel-shaded or the Lightning Collection Pink Ranger cel-shaded) look bad, the cel-shading just doesn't translate to 3D for me.

What do you think? What are your unpopular opinions, related to action figures and action figure collecting?

Agreed as far as Hasbro goes.  They just do not have the hang of it and it's not getting any better.  However, I don't dislike cel-shaded decos per se.  NECA's nailing it on their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles line.  Those things are beautiful.  Their "pixelated" decos on their video game figures look awesome too, though I don't own any of those.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like the build-a-figure system in its current form.  It made sense way back when it was first introduced in the legends line with Galactus.  It was innovative, exciting, and added exceptional value to the figures.  All of the figures in those ToyBiz BAF waves were comic-based, so that folks who weren't interested in movie or video game based characters didn't have to deal with getting a BAF piece that came with a figure outside their collection parameters.  And then, of course, there's the scale.  We went from a 16" Galactus and Sentinel to Brood Queen and Blob to Puck and Jubilee.  Even ToyBiz's M.O.D.O.K. and Mojo were good values to my mind.  Hasbro's Super-Skrull was not.

Hasbro gutted and frustrated the system until it was a detriment to the line in my opinion.  They should ditch it entirely at this point.  Characters like AOA Colossus or Wendigo or Demogoblin should be carded (or boxed if that's were we're heading) and the value of the BAF pieces should be reinvested into more and better figure accessories.  Characters too large to be carded (Mojo, Giant-Man, etc.) should be released in some kind of deluxe format like their M.O.D.O.K. was.

My unpopular opinion (and I know it's going to get alot of hate) is people should stop worrying about scale/height so much. If a bigger character is usually drawn bigger than what is written in some outdated handbook (yes outdated, it was written decades ago) then the figure should be bigger. Hulk for example should technically be only a head taller than Thor. However, he has been drawn massively over the years. Same with the Controller. People are complaining he is too tall, but he has been drawn differently over the years. Hell in one of the most recent storylines he was nearly a kaijuu size character.

If a character has been drawn in a different size then what is written in the book, let Hasbro make a figure to suit that artwork. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:07 AM, tarot said:

My unpopular opinion (and I know it's going to get alot of hate) is people should stop worrying about scale/height so much. If a bigger character is usually drawn bigger than what is written in some outdated handbook (yes outdated, it was written decades ago) then the figure should be bigger. Hulk for example should technically be only a head taller than Thor. However, he has been drawn massively over the years. Same with the Controller. People are complaining he is too tall, but he has been drawn differently over the years. Hell in one of the most recent storylines he was nearly a kaijuu size character.

If a character has been drawn in a different size then what is written in the book, let Hasbro make a figure to suit that artwork. 

This is something that has hardly bothered me except for 2 instances..

1.) Abomination dwarfs next to Hulk (that really bugs me)
and
2.) Sasquatch is hella short

Ope..and Vision being so little next to Cap.

On 2/22/2022 at 3:48 PM, tarot said:

This is another recent gripe of mine. NOT EVERY FIGURE HAS TO BE PINLESS. If Hasbro can make a good looking figure with the molds they have, they should use it, pinless or not. If it looks good, who care about the pins?

I agree, a number of people already complain that the Retro Spidey mold should have been pinless. The mold is great and I never notice the pins when I'm messing around qwith my Ben Reilly Spidey.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:44 AM, tarot said:

You find very few who would disagree with that but they have been easily replaced in the last decade.

Maybe. I saw someone mention the dramatic inferiority of the TB figs the other day.

I kept my AoA Weapon X and sold the Hasbro one, but I will probably keep the Hasbro Sabertooth and burn the TB one with fire.

I even sold the BAF Sugarman because, while it's articulation is not even close to Hasbro's, I like the OG TB Sugarman.

AoA.jpg

My unpopular opinion is I wish Hasbro de-prioritized the X-Men in favor of other Marvel characters. There was a time when I loved the X-Men, when they were my favorite characters. But that was almost thirty years ago. I won't say I've grown out of the X-Men, but I have grown away from them; I just don't care about them as much. I've got a handful of X-Men Legends, mostly from the All-New, All-Different era. There are only a few more that I want.

I would prefer Hasbro devote time and resources to more Avengers waves, more Cosmic waves, more Fantastic Four waves, a Thor wave, more supervillain waves, etc.

Well said and upvoted. 

Ive NEVER been an XMen fan first. As characters in Marvel comics universe, and later as stars of cartoons and action figure lines I could always appreciate them but as my main fandom focus? Nope.

Ive said for years that one of DC Comics / Warner bros biggest problems was thinking fans would only support Superman or Batman in film. So we only got Super/Bats for years before Wonder Woman and others were allowed their time to shine. This is similar to what Marvel did with the XMen. They pushed everything X to the detriment of nearly their entire roster of heroes. As an HUGE Avengers fan it annoyed me greatly. 

In  terms of Marvel Legends, I feel that Hasbro is trying to make up for lost time in their spat with Fox. For X fans I’m sure this is welcome. My wallet actually welcomes this too cause I’m not buying anything X for a while.

I have however, in recent years, picked up most of the Jim Lee Team because Hasbro has made just great versions, I finally caved slowly collected them.

But it’s time to get the love spread to all corners 

Agree with the post so far that Hasbro’s cell shading efforts just look bad. Every figure so far has been a huge whiff. 

Does the new US Agents shield count? I can’t think of a version where the outermost ring is that grey/ blue color. 

On 2/22/2022 at 10:48 AM, tarot said:

This is another recent gripe of mine. NOT EVERY FIGURE HAS TO BE PINLESS. If Hasbro can make a good looking figure with the molds they have, they should use it, pinless or not. If it looks good, who care about the pins?

Agree here as well. Jeez, lots of agreeing going on here. Maybe these aren’t all unpopular opinions.

I care ZERO F’s about pinless figures. They are nice enough but doesn’t effect my opinion of any figure before or won’t mean I’ll rush out to get the next one that’s pinless. 

I can offer what may be an unpopular opinion. I still like the Bucky mold body and am just fine with the body the recently revealed Viper is on. 

Not knocking the newer bodies, just glad to get certain characters made doesn’t matter if they aren’t on the newest model. 

On 2/22/2022 at 9:07 AM, tarot said:

I agree with this to a degree. With Enormous characters  it doesn’t really make a lot of difference as long as they look enormous but I do have an issue with scale when it comes to regular human folk. Take for instance the latest Firestar figure. The figure stands over 6 inches tall but the character is supposed to be 5’1. Why is the figure looking down on several of the other male heroes? Doesn’t make any sense. All the human costumed characters should be scaled accurately I think. 

On 2/21/2022 at 10:28 PM, Dabboi said:

Agreed. They look bad. Still couldn't help myself from ordering the damn X-Men, though...

On 2/22/2022 at 10:07 AM, tarot said:

Yeah, I want things properly scaled, but I don't think Handbook stats should be the bible here. Sorry, but Beast ain't 5'11". Maybe he was, but he isn't anymore. Since at least the early 90s, he's been at least 6'5". And Blob ain't 5'10" either.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, Chunkylover said:

Toy-biz figures fit well with modern Hasbro figures. I acknowledge they aren't perfect, but there are plenty of gripes about Hasbro's figures, too.

This, I can't agree with. Toy Biz figures are absolutely hideous, with very, very, very few exceptions. You're right that Hasbro has made some mis-steps, some even very recently, but since about 2014-2016, they've overwhelmingly (if not consistently) produced a better toy line than Toy Biz ever did. I've said it before, but I don't even consider Toy Biz Legends, early Hasbro Legends, or Return of Marvel Legends Hasbro era the same toy line as the current stuff.

On 2/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, RyanDaly said:

My unpopular opinion is I wish Hasbro de-prioritized the X-Men in favor of other Marvel characters. There was a time when I loved the X-Men, when they were my favorite characters. But that was almost thirty years ago. I won't say I've grown out of the X-Men, but I have grown away from them; I just don't care about them as much. I've got a handful of X-Men Legends, mostly from the All-New, All-Different era. There are only a few more that I want.

I would prefer Hasbro devote time and resources to more Avengers waves, more Cosmic waves, more Fantastic Four waves, a Thor wave, more supervillain waves, etc.

I hear this a lot, but the math doesn't bear it out. The X-Men had two years (I believe 2018 and 2019) where they got a ton of figures, but otherwise they've gotten relatively comparable representation with Spider-Man or the Avengers. Obviously those three properties each get way more representation than Fantastic Four or cosmic stuff or Marvel Knights or whatever else. I get it. If they're not your thing, it's easy to think their spots could be better used elsewhere, but they are very much my thing, and I can tell you the last few years have been dry. My attention has even wandered to other lines because there's so little coming out for me these days, compared to those two golden years. On the other hand, a totally valid complaint would be that the X-Men figures often seem to get a little bit more love and attention from the Legends team than some of the other corners of the Marvel universe. Silver Samurai, Maverick, Strong Guy, etc., all show a surprisingly high level of attention to detail.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:18 PM, McHogan said:

I can offer what may be an unpopular opinion. I still like the Bucky mold body and am just fine with the body the recently revealed Viper is on. 

Not knocking the newer bodies, just glad to get certain characters made doesn’t matter if they aren’t on the newest model. 

Agreed. The Bucky Cap body is totally fine, as is the apparently "spindly" "teenage" body. They often get somewhat misused, especially when it comes to heights, but they're fine bodies that get a lot of unnecessary hate.

On 2/23/2022 at 9:18 PM, McHogan said:

I agree, it's fine for a "basic" body, especially for army builders!

Now, the Kate Bishop body on the other hand...

On 2/25/2022 at 10:50 PM, RyanDaly said:

Okay, my hot take.

Hasbro...ToyBiz...Mafex...whatever: There has never been a good-looking Gambit action figure.

That’s weird. I can think of three or four off the top of my head. The Mafex, One:12, and Legends ones are all excellent. The Mezco one is actually one of the best looking figures I’ve picked up in a long while (its ankles are garbage, as usual, though). The Revoltech one is also a great figure, but I don’t love its faces.

You really don’t like the Mafex one? Or the One:12?

On 3/2/2022 at 6:43 PM, RyanDaly said:

Nope, I don't really care for either of them. The Mafex one in particular, I think the jacket and hair are pretty bad.

I agree with you on the hair. I was really disappointed in how it was sculpted. The jacket isn't great but not as bad as I thought it would be, maybe because I was prepared for the worst.