Fred Hechinger To Play Chameleon In Sony’s Marvel 'Kraven The Hunter'

Outsiders

Deadline is reporting that Fred Hechinger has signed on for Sony Pictures’ Kraven the Hunter, starring Aaron Taylor Johnson in the titular role.  It's unconfirmed, but sources from within say Hechinger would play Chameleon, the brother of Kraven.

Kraven's name is known within the Marvel Universe as being among the most iconic and notorious antiheroes.  He has faced the likes of Venom and Black Panther, as well as being one of Spider-Man’s best-known and most-formidable enemies.  The character of Chameleon is the half-brother of Kraven and usually is depicted as a master of disguises, known for his ability to impersonate virtually anybody.

The film is being directed by J.C. Chandor with Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach producing. Art Marcum & Matt Holloway and Richard Wenk penned the screenplay.  The film will be released theatrically on January 13th, 2023.

Hechinger is credited with HBO’s hit series The White Lotus, and most recently appeared in the Hulu limited series Pam & Tommy and is filming Scott Cooper’s The Pale Blue Eye starring Christian Bale.

Fred_Hechinger.jpg

On 2/22/2022 at 7:30 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Meh okay cool, I would have expected Chameleon in this Kraven movie, so that's not a shock, but I still don't know why we need a Kraven movie...and I don't have good feelings about it existing.

yeah just like a Venom movie without Spider-Man

without his main rival I just don't think this can work
will they even mention Spider-Man???

On 2/22/2022 at 7:37 PM, tarot said:

bet you any money he won't wear his signature mask and instead it will be his "powers". It's the one thing I hated about the 90's cartoon version (other then him being mute in normal form) instead of a talented actor.

Sony will attempt to copy other Marvel villains because they will think fans hate the comic Chameleon for being mundane compared to the other Spider-Man villains and their attempt to juice him up is an attempt to update the character and make him cooler in the eyes of fans. When all we want are comic accurate versions of the characters based on the status quo established by Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, etc.

I think this movie sounds like one of the most misguided, tone-deaf unforced errors you could imagine. Kraven as the hero is as lousy a concept as when Warner Bros. wanted to make Doctor Light the villain of the Flashpoint movie after DC Comics established Doctor Light was a rapist. This is just dumb.

There is nothing sympathetic or heroic about a protagonist whose life is hunting and murdering animals in their natural habitat and then decorating his home and clothes in their hides. There was a time when safari and big game hunting held a sort of romantic allure in popular culture, but the wind has changed harshly. Most people find that practice vile and gross and inhumane. 

On 2/23/2022 at 9:45 AM, RyanDaly said:

I think this movie sounds like one of the most misguided, tone-deaf unforced errors you could imagine. Kraven as the hero is as lousy a concept as when Warner Bros. wanted to make Doctor Light the villain of the Flashpoint movie after DC Comics established Doctor Light was a rapist. This is just dumb.

There is nothing sympathetic or heroic about a protagonist whose life is hunting and murdering animals in their natural habitat and then decorating his home and clothes in their hides. There was a time when safari and big game hunting held a sort of romantic allure in popular culture, but the wind has changed harshly. Most people find that practice vile and gross and inhumane. 

This ^

On 2/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, leokearon said:

I have, it's a great story but Kraven's still a loser in my eyes.

and this.

I really want someone to stop Sony, they are bad at what they are doing so far.

You had 2 Venom movies, a good Venom movie should write and make itself.. the character is amazing, yet we got 2 movies and they increasingly got worse, showing they have no idea how to correct their errors, now with Morbius on the Horizon...I still think after butchering Venom, Morbius could be amazing it doesn't help you already did damage...and it's instantly misguided to think we need or they should make a movie about a bad guy who murders people and things and is a jungle hide clad russian whose basic existence is related to Spider-Man whom isn't going to be a part of this movie.

spacer.png

On 2/23/2022 at 5:45 AM, RyanDaly said:

Not to mention burying Spider-Man alive, or enslaving Tigra. I've never understood why there is such a push to make him and guys like Sabertooth something they're not. These types are villains. Whatever "good" qualities they may have, at the end of the day, they're bad guys. And I cannot fathom why anyone wants a movie of this character, or how they think its going to be a success.

This all boils down to the Hollywood tread of making bad people the heroes in order to desensitize.  Keep the hero’s the focus of our comics and films. I don’t want to see murderers or slavers turned in to self proclaimed heroes.  There are tons of great heroes in our comics, let’s keep them our role models and maybe we can help influence a future generation in a positive way.  Let’s not have murderers, rapists, slavers, and abusers be our role models.  

Spider-Man has arguably the best Rogues gallery in comics. Key being that they are Spider-Man villains. Right or wrong, Venom, Kraven, Chameleon et all are tied to Spidey in ways that at this point, they cannot be separated from the core character of their existence. 

Removing Spidey from the equation essentially removes who these villains are.  Sony failed miserably with two attempts at making Venom stand alone with no ties to Spidey and the result was an empty shell of the character so far removed from the source material that the he was unrecognizable. Then the fact that the 2nd movie specifically was a train wreck only enforces this more.

Sony has no idea what they are doing with their Marvel movies. The old saying that just because you can doesn’t mean you should applies here. And dont get me started on their Madame Web project.

On 2/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, Ithadar said:

This all boils down to the Hollywood tread of making bad people the heroes in order to desensitize.  Keep the hero’s the focus of our comics and films. I don’t want to see murderers or slavers turned in to self proclaimed heroes.  There are tons of great heroes in our comics, let’s keep them our role models and maybe we can help influence a future generation in a positive way.  Let’s not have murderers, rapists, slavers, and abusers be our role models.  

Disclaimer: I haven’t seen Dont Breathe 2 but I did see the first. Every preview strongly implies that the despicable Blind Man is somehow now a hero in the follow up.

If you’ve seen the first, this is an impossible turn around for the character. His actions in the first firmly show he is a villain and a disgusting human being.

even implying he is now a good man is a joke. 

Same here with comics making villains heroes or antiheroes. Their actions show them to be terrible humans. Keep them a such so our true heroes victories mean something

On 2/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, Ithadar said:

Well said. Its in the same vein as making Dr. Doom, Magneto, Sabertooth, or Luthor etc. as members of the Avengers, JLA or the X-Men. I get it, when handled correctly these are some bad-ass, impressive dudes. Forces to be reckoned with. But no amount of gravitas changes the fact that these are murderous megalomaniacs and it just cheapens the hero/group when just anybody, including people who have tried to kill them or someone they care about, can partner up with them. Osborn kills Gwen, Zemo tortures Jarvis....but they're still walking around?  Suspension of disbelief only goes so far. There are just some things that can't be forgiven.

In theory this could be interesting movie if Spider-Man is included as part of the world, it could be really good commentary on hunting/superiority/toxic masculinity since feelings of being inadequate is what drove Kraven to Last Hunt story, but looking at venom I don't think Sony is capable to do this deep character study movie and instead we will get some bland Action movie. I hope I'm wrong .