Tony Stark And Patsy Walker Go To Hell And Back In Iron Man/Hellcat Annual #1

JayC

Writer Christopher Cantwell has put Iron Man and Hellcat’s blossoming romance through the ringer in the pages of his acclaimed run on IRON MAN. And this June, he’ll team up with amazing artist Ruairí Coleman to deliver a major turning point for the pair in a story that also dives deep into Hellcat’s fascinating history. IRON MAN/HELLCAT ANNUAL #1 will be a giant-sized epic showcasing why Tony and Patsy may be Marvel’s next great super hero romance.

After Tony’s shocking marriage proposal in IRON MAN #20, Hellcat travels to San Francisco to get her house in order…only this house is an aging Victorian manor left to her by her mother Dorothy. The house and its secrets will reunite Patsy with old friends like Hedy Wolfe — as well as others she’d hoped to leave dead and buried. When a supernatural crisis arises, will Hellcat and Iron Man combined be enough to beat back the flames of Hell itself?!

On his reinvigorated take on the character, Cantwell says, “Hellcat has one of the most unique—and at times inscrutable—origin stories in Marvel Comics, but also one of my favorites. I love that Patsy got her start in teen romance comics in the 40’s and yet was still somehow able to ride the wave into the rise of super heroes, becoming Hellcat. With an epic and circuitous backstory that now spans more than 75 years, I’ve had a blast exploring the rich tapestry that is Patsy—first in IRON MAN, and now with even more depth in this annual. In this tale, we focus on Hellcat’s peculiar relationship with Hell itself… after all, she’s spent some time there, and she once suffered a tumultuous marriage to Daimon Hellstrom, the Son of Satan. Patsy began as one of America’s first sweethearts, then became a hero, but she’s felt a darkness pull at her for years. It’s deep and twisted and personal and ugly… and maybe… a little alluring? Her relationship with Iron Man has been a welcome counterweight to that—a light that’s dissipated some of the shadows in her. But this story explores Patsy’s connection to a scarier realm. Yes, she can be charming and bubbly and sweet, but is there a power in those fires of Hell that might illuminate a deeper truth?

Check out three stunning covers now and be there when Patsy Walker’s hellish past catches up with her in IRON MAN/HELLCAT ANNUAL #1.

IRON MAN/HELLCAT ANNUAL #1
Written by CHRISTOPHER CANTWELL
Art by RUAIRÍ COLEMAN
Cover by LOGAN LUBERA
Variant Cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
Virgin Variant Cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAU
Variant Cover by PEACH MOMOKO
Variant Cover by CHRISSIE ZULLO
On Sale 6/1

IMHCATANN2022001_Cov.jpg

IMHCATANN2022001_Momoko_Var.jpg

IMHCATANN2022001_Zullo_Var.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, ADour said:

As if Cantwell can't be any less subtle about his shilling for Hellcat...

On 3/5/2022 at 1:42 AM, leokearon said:

Yeah, still I seriously doubt this will actually go anywhere

It's certainly understandable that certain writers have their favorite characters and ones that they hope to revive or promote. We've certainly seen it the other way when writers dislike certain characters and drop them altogether (Longshot, Strong Guy, Atlas, etc.), so I'm not opposed to doing it the opposite direction, it's just that this character has never really been received all that well to begin with and certainly other characters have done her basic premise and abilities a lot better. She's basically a support character or at the most a mainstay character in a team setting. I actually like the character and can appreciate a bit of the push she's getting, but she's just not or ever gonna be top billing. Then again, that never stopped the brass at Marvel from trying. Just ask any of those poor saps that have been tasked with trying to make the Eternals happen.

While I can appreciate that certain artists/writers are really into certain characters and want to "push" them, I think there has to be something there to push in the first place. John Byrne was able to do this with Wolverine, who was headed to the chopping block before Byrne intervened. Fortunately Len Wein laid enough seeds for Byrne to work with.

That's just not the case with Hellcat; yeah she's been around for decades but most of that early history isn't relevant to Marvel these days ("romance" comics have been off the air for decades). And no matter how well its written, I just cannot buy the current storyline of  her and Stark in a serious relationship, let alone this "partnership" this writer is pushing.  I just dont see that this has legs. Could be wrong though. Nice cover!