Disney+ Ms. Marvel Trailer And Premier Date Of June 8

JayC

• 1 month later...

There is so much not cool about this it's exhausting. I can understand Marvel wanting to wipe away the stink of the Inhumans debacle ASAP, but that begs the question, why even reintroduce the Inhumans at all, with the same Blackbolt actor even, if they were gonna strip (arguably) the most successful modern Inhuman character of her Inhuman status? And then the concept. Magic rings......er bangles that make hard light.....er crystal constructs? What, no purple alien? Oh yeah, there already was one. This is just so blatant and shameless it's embarrassing. This is literally what I would expect a Star Sapphire movie to look like. Can't wait for the scene where she creates a Hotwheels.......er Tonka truck as a weapon.

First a Moon Knight series with no Moon Knight in it. Then a shortening of the She-Hulk series. Now this....this....whatever? This just keeps getting worse.

New trailer still didn't wow me, I just don't know how I feel about this, the altering of the powers, probably origins of powers (likely) and the childish nature of this show, I'm on the fence pretty strongly, I have said it before but I just don't think I like this girl as Kamala something doesn't seem right, and I'm usually super fan boy with all things MCU, but I of course will be watching this show and hoping it's a winner in the end.

Frankly I'm not a fan of Ms. Marvel; book never grabbed me, artwork didn't impress and worse of all, I don't (as a rule) care for copycat characters. What helped her in that respect, was that her powers were different from Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel. Just like the Monica Rambeau Captain Marvel had different powers from the Kree Captain Mar-Vell (and the original Ms. Marvel). And evidently her comic has been a hit, fans love it, so putting her on screen is a great thing. But if her entire powerset has been removed, then the character is just ruined and I have to ask, why use this one in the first place? The excuses made to make her "more like Captain Marvel or Quasar" or that her powers "are too difficult for the screen, look too similar to Mr. Fantastic," etc. don't cut it. Studio should have thought all that out before even choosing this character.

Just imagine if your favorite character was coming to screen and they altered him/her in this way. Hey here comes Wonder Man! But instead of being super strong, make him a high school teacher who has telekinetic powers that fizzle out after a few hours' usage. Makes him more vulnerable, more relatable, dont'cha know. Use the Mr. Clarke actor from Stranger Things! Because come on, MCU has so many super strong guys already, right?

It remains to be seen how they handle this but thus far, it doesn't seem like they respect the character or the fans with this decision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think some reviewers are getting a bit delusional when they call it the best MCU show and the freshest thing in the MCU, it's very cliche and more like high production value Disney Channel show, which is fine since it's not bad by any means, at least episode one was fine, and with this  MCU has something that can be marketed towards younger kids, particularly younger girls from 6-13, something that is directly adjacent to MCU but also it's own thing that looks at MCU world from outside,  even though it somehow feels like the least connected to MCU in its tone and the feel of the world. 

On 6/12/2022 at 6:31 PM, SpiderS said:

"...I think some reviewers are getting a bit delusional when they call it the best MCU show and the freshest thing in the MCU, it's very cliche..."

I would call into question any reviewer's judgement that this is "the best MCU" and/or the "freshest thing in the MCU". Its very much like the action figure reviewers who fawn over mediocre products, or try to feebly justify the price point on these overused female bucks they have. The first episode of this show was good- it was entertaining, engaging, etc. But hardly the "best" thing in the MCU. Who knows, maybe somehow in time that'll happen but right now, no.

Thought the 1st ep was good.  i liked the animated touches especially in the graffiti backgrounds.  one of the mcu's biggest strengths has been in quickly establishing characters as ones we like, root for, and want to see more of, and i would say they were quite successful in terms of Kamala and her supporting cast.  

The Achilles heel of these shows has generally been flaky plotting imo.  i suppose the movies would suffer from this too but the fast pace usually means you don't have as much time to think about plot holes as you do with a weekly series.  also these series often introduce interesting ideas that the viewer wants to see explored more, only to (generally) fall back on relatively simplistic takes that can leave viewers feeling like "that's all there was to it?". Just my opinion of course.  But likeable characters can compensate for a lot of this, and hopefully this series will have a non-flaky plot.

I didn't think the show was half bad. The casting was great. The kid seems like she has a great personality (as did the one who played America). Not to say all is forgiven as far as how they changed her origin and powers, but it's pretty much what they made it out to be so far. It's quirky and weird and kinda has that old Lizzy McGuire/Malcolm in the Middle thing going, but it's different and maybe different is just the shot in the ayass these almost too predictable Disney+ formulas need right now.

The best thing about it is, though I'm sure the show will be sure to give plenty of love to Captain Bestest Evaaah!, this show will mostly actually be about Kamala Khan and have plenty of actual Ms. Marvel in it, unlike Moon Knight, which had minimal amount of actual Moon Knight in it and was clearly made to promote another character.

Of course, it is only 2 episodes in, and aside from the typical Disney template, you never know what you can expect from Disney so there's still a chance, and probably a likelihood, that they'll still screw this one up too.

• 3 weeks later...

After the pilot episode show's quality gets lower with every episode, it looks and feels cheap even narratively, which sucks because the show really had serious potential, whoever they picked for creatives really blew it and gave a really bad start for Kamala's character, I heard finale gets better but so far it seems beyond saving, hopefully, in the upcoming Marvels movie they will just ignore this series and do something actually interesting for Kamala. 

On 7/4/2022 at 6:14 PM, SpiderS said:

After the pilot episode show's quality gets lower with every episode, it looks and feels cheap even narratively, which sucks because the show really had serious potential, whoever they picked for creatives really blew it and gave a really bad start for Kamala's character, I heard finale gets better but so far it seems beyond saving, hopefully, in the upcoming Marvels movie they will just ignore this series and do something actually interesting for Kamala. 

I agree to a certain extent, I have watched every episode and as they have progressed the more cringe things have become, the show seems like it's catering way to much to a younger audience yet also wants the long term MCU fans to be interested, the story gets looser as it goes, deviates far from the source material, the characters threads break, the humour is hard to swollow , the villains of the show are poorly done and so far removed from the comic counterparts, far too much is made up, Ms. Marvel's powers look horrible on screen, and her interacting with villains and other heros just seems awkward (while it may be they are trying to make it that way) and makes you feel embarrassed but not in a witty way for her. I'm still going to watch to the end, but it's my least favorite MCU show so far, However that being said if this show was just a show about a girl named Kamala who was living her teen life and loving superheroes, and she had no powers I'd be more a fan, her family at least has some shine and her story with them is actually fairly decent, but as a Super Hero show I'm having a hard time.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

her family at least has some shine and her story with them is actually fairly decent

I actually really liked her Dad, he plays the part really well and I could even see the family storyline being better if Kamal had just a single dad and maybe a more radical brother, which could focus on their less-than-perfect relationships but what we get in the show is a very clean cut happy family. There's no real tragedy in the family, we only have the partition, the tragedy of the past, which doesn't work as well because it's as far removed from Kamala as it can be, there was a lot of potential to make Ms. Marvel into superhero version of Persepolis but they decided to play it safe even if it made show creatively bankrupt. 

• 2 weeks later...