Sydney Sweeney To Co-Star Opposite Dakota Johnson In Sony's Marvel 'Madame Web'

Outsiders

The ONLY reason I'm even kinda interested in this movie is because we're getting a live action Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman. She is one of my favorite characters, and she's been largely ignored in the comic books for several decades. It would be nice just this once if movie/comic book synergy actually worked out in my favor, and they gave Julia a more prominent role in the comics. I wish they'd bring the original Madame Web back, and let Julia go back to being Spider-Woman/Arachne. It would be great to see her as an Avenger again.

On 1/12/2024 at 12:59 PM, GarimusPrime said:

It would be nice just this once if movie/comic book synergy actually worked out in my favor, and they gave Julia a more prominent role in the comics. I wish they'd bring the original Madame Web back, and let Julia go back to being Spider-Woman/Arachne. It would be great to see her as an Avenger again.

I imagine this will just make them double-down on her role as Madame Web in the comics, tbh. 

On 1/12/2024 at 2:28 PM, RobertD said:

I imagine this will just make them double-down on her role as Madame Web in the comics, tbh. 

I really hope not. Her role as Madame Web has been such a complete waste. It's always the same damn thing. She shows up, delivers an ominous message to Peter about the 'Web of Life' being in danger. She then stands around and does NOTHING while the 374 other Spider-characters go off on a mission. She shows up at the end: "You saved the Web of Life! Good job!". Rinse and repeat. She was SO much more interesting as an Avenger/Force Works character. So, I really hope you're wrong. I'm thinking that they'll believe that the comic readers are going to want to see the original Madame Web, even if it means de-aging her, kinda like what they did with Agatha Harkness. This would free Julia up to be a Spider-Woman-type character again in the comics. Or, it could end up not even affecting the comics, as this is a non-MCU production. Who knows? I don't remember Venom, Morbius, etc. getting any extra buzz in the comics when their solo films came out. This could easily play out the same way. 

On 1/12/2024 at 7:28 PM, RobertD said:

I don't know. Given they are using the original in the movie, they could just resurrect her in a younger appearance.

On 1/15/2024 at 5:35 AM, leokearon said:

I don't know. Given they are using the original in the movie, they could just resurrect her in a younger appearance.

"Hey it turns out Cassandra was a mutant so we resurrected her a few months ago before Orchis launched their attack on Krakoa but she went on the down-low... also she looks like that woman from Fifty Shades of Grey now? We knew we shouldn't have let Emma get close to the resurrection ritual..."

On 1/15/2024 at 2:16 PM, ADour said:

"Hey it turns out Cassandra was a mutant so we resurrected her a few months ago before Orchis launched their attack on Krakoa but she went on the down-low... also she looks like that woman from Fifty Shades of Grey now? We knew we shouldn't have let Emma get close to the resurrection ritual..."

Cassandra was always a mutant. Her precog powers are her mutation. They just made her a Spider-man character, but she is a mutant.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:34 AM, tarot said:

Cassandra was always a mutant. Her precog powers are her mutation. They just made her a Spider-man character, but she is a mutant.

I actually checked before making that joke, and I couldn't find that she was a mutant. No handbook entry attibutes her powers to being a mutant. Not even this recent article in Marvel.com called her one.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:46 PM, ADour said:

I actually checked before making that joke, and I couldn't find that she was a mutant. No handbook entry attibutes her powers to being a mutant. Not even this recent article in Marvel.com called her one.

I swear I remember that she was a Mutant, I remember seeing some Trading Card factoid that claimed she was, I gotta find that, but I also think at one point she wasn't a mutant, I think they flip Flopped on that one. Maybe I'm just having a Mendela Effect moment in thinking she was a Mutant.

Edit*

According to CBR.com

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-facts-trivia-madame-web/#mutant

On 1/17/2024 at 2:26 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

I swear I remember that she was a Mutant, I remember seeing some Trading Card factoid that claimed she was, I gotta find that, but I also think at one point she wasn't a mutant, I think they flip Flopped on that one. Maybe I'm just having a Mendela Effect moment in thinking she was a Mutant.

Edit*

According to CBR.com

I don't think a listicle from a site as infamous as CBR is a good primary source... What's more, that article alludes to the events of "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" as something brought about by Madame Web's status as a mutant. But in the story, Black Tom tries to kidnap her only because she's a psychic, with no mention of her being a mutant, even with the X-Men being name-dropped a couple of times due to their past history with Marko.

The only place so far where I've found her being mentioned as a mutant is this page from Marvel Fact Files:

image56499-01-merged.jpg However, this magazine is produced by a third party (Eaglemoss Publications) with the Marvel license, so I'm willing to attribute this to a mistake, especially if Marvel's first-party handbooks don't mention her being a mutant at all.

I also found this talk page in the Marvel Wiki, claiming OHotMU writer Stuart Vandal has specificlaly debunked her being a mutant, even if the link used as a source is a dead link.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:01 AM, ADour said:

I don't think a listicle from a site as infamous as CBR is a good primary source... What's more, that article alludes to the events of "Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut" as something brought about by Madame Web's status as a mutant. But in the story, Black Tom tries to kidnap her only because she's a psychic, with no mention of her being a mutant, even with the X-Men being name-dropped a couple of times due to their past history with Marko.

The only place so far where I've found her being mentioned as a mutant is this page from Marvel Fact Files:

image56499-01-merged.jpg However, this magazine is produced by a third party (Eaglemoss Publications) with the Marvel license, so I'm willing to attribute this to a mistake, especially if Marvel's first-party handbooks don't mention her being a mutant at all.

I also found this talk page in the Marvel Wiki, claiming OHotMU writer Stuart Vandal has specificlaly debunked her being a mutant, even if the link used as a source is a dead link.

Yeah I remember the Juggernaut story, yeah That actually is the factoid page now that I remember seeing she was a mutant, like I said I dunno, guess they flip flopped or she was mistaken as a Mutant, either way. *Shrug* neither here nor there personally if shes a mutant or not,

Sony Pictures Entertainment has unveiled a new featurette and a brand new collection of character promotional posters for Madame Web, set to hit theaters on February 14th. The character promotional posters showcase Dakota Johnson, Sydney Sweeney, Celeste O’Connor, Isabela Merced, and Tahar Rahim.

madame_web_ver4_xlg.jpg

madame_web_ver5_xlg.jpg

madame_web_ver6_xlg.jpg

madame_web_ver7_xlg.jpg

madame_web_ver8_xlg.jpg

On 1/17/2024 at 11:26 AM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Edit*

According to CBR.com

Eh, give it some time. She might turn out to be. If Marvel wants to push her enough. Bipity Bopity Boom. Guess what. She was a Mutant the whole time. Redesign here costume a bit. Incorporate some X's into it. Create some new rando X-Team Pre-Cog unit and put her on it or let her lead it. Presto everyone loves her now. That's the new MO isn't it?

On 1/19/2024 at 2:29 PM, AndyL said:

Eh, give it some time. She might turn out to be. If Marvel wants to push her enough. Bipity Bopity Boom. Guess what. She was a Mutant the whole time. Redesign here costume a bit. Incorporate some X's into it. Create some new rando X-Team Pre-Cog unit and put her on it or let her lead it. Presto everyone loves her now. That's the new MO isn't it?

Exactly. There's nothing stopping them, if they wanted to

• 3 weeks later...

I actually went to see this last night, Ooooooh My, what a horrible movie, cringe status at best, I won't spoil anything but Good god, it was everything I thought it would be, felt so flat, CW, made for TV business here, lacked heart, lacked in all departments a true campy poorly executed film, Sony needs to quit this, it's a tragedy, I really wanted to find some redeeming quality's here in this movie, I could barely I liked like 5% of this movie and I think that was because I was enjoying sitting in a theatre watching a movie and that was it, it was a trainwreck.

spacer.png