Amazon Exclusive Marvel Legends Comic Based Doc Ock And Silk 2-Pack Revealed

JayC

Yeah In Canada this was pricey about 86 or something (with tax like 90 something), making each figure 43+, Ouchie! but whatever I will bite that, I was stupid to have kept passing on Doc Ock because I was silly back when he came out and he was pegwarming, I never thought Ock was cool looking, so I just subbed in Superior Spider-Man as Ock, as time went on I saw man damn I wish I had that Ock, fast forward to only a few months ago I bought the Ock for 50 (seemed reasonable) only for it to not turn out well, so I was going to buy Ock for 50, so for 43 it seems fine, Silk is one of my fav ladies, I have the Fan Vote, but I'm a Silk fan enough I need this one as well and likely will do something with the Fan Vote, this new Silk is superb, I'm a sucker I bought this pack.

Obviously this set is meant for collectors who missed the previous release(s) of one or both figures.  Given that its part of an anniversary line, not surprised to see the price is a few bucks more per fig than the upcoming new standard price of $24.99.  But hey if $58 seems steep just check out the aftermarket prices for older Ock and Silk figures on ebay.

I think we older collectors need to get used to the idea that a lot of characters we already have figures for are likely to be re-released, primarily using newer bucks (like they used Shriek buck for Silk and will likely use Vulcan buck a lot for the guys).  Or in the case of more unusual body types, we will just see the older version released with slightly different paint job and new head and/or accessories, as they've done with a lot of the spidey villains (mysterio, goblin, kingpin, upcoming rhino, and now Ock).  the line has been around long enough that hasbro really should be re-releasing a lot of important-but- not- A-lister- characters for those who didn't start collecting until more recently.  

On 3/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, bashpics99 said:

I think we older collectors need to get used to the idea that a lot of characters we already have figures for are likely to be re-released, primarily using newer bucks (like they used Shriek buck for Silk and will likely use Vulcan buck a lot for the guys).  Or in the case of more unusual body types, we will just see the older version released with slightly different paint job and new head and/or accessories, as they've done with a lot of the spidey villains (mysterio, goblin, kingpin, upcoming rhino, and now Ock).  the line has been around long enough that hasbro really should be re-releasing a lot of important-but- not- A-lister- characters for those who didn't start collecting until more recently.  

Absolutely right. The line always needs new collectors. It can't be sustained, as a business with requirements to shareholders, by relying on existing custom only; even if it fleeces those that are already loyal for more and more profit. Re-releases are essential. And my collection'll personally benefit from some, too- very few of us made a commitment to collect absolutely everything released from day one of Legends- very few could afford to! 

I think you're absolutely right. 

On 3/18/2022 at 2:57 AM, bashpics99 said:

Obviously this set is meant for collectors who missed the previous release(s) of one or both figures.  Given that its part of an anniversary line, not surprised to see the price is a few bucks more per fig than the upcoming new standard price of $24.99.  But hey if $58 seems steep just check out the aftermarket prices for older Ock and Silk figures on ebay.

Totally agree that we need to get used to the fact that there will be a lot of re-releases, which isn't the end of the world - we save money if we don't buy them, we fill in our collections if we didn't get a figure the first time around, and we upgrade when we like the new releases better (I didn't get the new retro Hobgoblin because I like the previous release better, but the retro Green Goblin was more comic accurate, so I did pick that one up).  If you have been collecting long enough you also find these interesting moments that work out financially, but they are gambles (I sold my Ulik, BAF Lizard, BAF Sandman, and Toys R Us Phoenix and Dark Phoenix figures for premium prices because I strongly believed these figures would be re-done, and looks like these were all good decisions - no way we won't see new Jean Grey / Phoenix figures in the next two years).  I would also not be upset if they started using that Vulcan buck to re-do a few Cyclops figures. This line could go on forever.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:33 AM, PSPS13 said:

"Absolutely right. The line always needs new collectors. It can't be sustained, as a business with requirements to shareholders, by relying on existing custom only; even if it fleeces those that are already loyal for more and more profit..."

I agree somewhat, but I would also add it can't be sustained by doing the same figures over and over. Especially factoring in the Marvel consumer desires/wishes; we know there are going to be the "staples" but we also want to see figures of more characters from across the wide and diverse 80+year history of Marvel. Having said that, there are a number of figures that need to be re-released, if only *cough* Silver Centurion to get them correct this time. 

I don't agree with being fleeced or the idea that a multibillion $$ company like Hasbro has to do this in order to stay competitive. That's when I walk away. The absolute best (and maybe only) way to let companies know what you'll put up with and what you won't, is voting with your Dollar. 

I should note also that of course some of the disappointment stems from this being (iirc) the 1st announcement for the spidey 60th anniversary figures, so of course people did have their hopes up. I suppose that is one valid reason people are so down on it being a skippable set.  one of the cons of hasbro's current approach of announcing only one/two figures at a time.  if this was part of like 10 announced figures people might not mind as much but those days seem mostly gone outside of hascon

On 3/18/2022 at 11:44 PM, bashpics99 said:

I should note also that of course some of the disappointment stems from this being (iirc) the 1st announcement for the spidey 60th anniversary figures, so of course people did have their hopes up. I suppose that is one valid reason people are so down on it being a skippable set.  one of the cons of hasbro's current approach of announcing only one/two figures at a time.  if this was part of like 10 announced figures people might not mind as much but those days seem mostly gone outside of hascon

Techinically, it's the first preorder for the line. We have had 3 figures announced already, Iron Spider, Knull and Future Foundation Spider-man. All three have given people high hopes for the line which looking at the rumor listing is heavy in Spider-variants. 

But lets also this is a exclusive. Exclusives for the most part should only be versions of character we already have, like Captain America in a different costume, or a straight re-release / repaint of an older figure. Would people rather have had the 2-pack being brand new character exclusive to Amazon that sells out in seconds? No. didn't think so.

On 3/18/2022 at 4:07 PM, tarot said:

".....Would people rather have had the 2-pack being brand new character exclusive to Amazon that sells out in seconds? No. didn't think so..."

Doesn't have to be one or the other. They need to make sure they produce enough so that supply isn't exhausted immediately.  If its a 2-pack with brand new characters exclusive to Amazon that don't sell out in seconds, people would be on that, hard. Corsair and Ch'od 2-pack?  Classic Wonder Man (or Safari jacket) and 80s red leather Doc Samson 2-pack? Oh yeah!

On 3/18/2022 at 8:07 PM, tarot said:

Techinically, it's the first preorder for the line. We have had 3 figures announced already, Iron Spider, Knull and Future Foundation Spider-man. All three have given people high hopes for the line which looking at the rumor listing is heavy in Spider-variants. 

But lets also this is a exclusive. Exclusives for the most part should only be versions of character we already have, like Captain America in a different costume, or a straight re-release / repaint of an older figure. Would people rather have had the 2-pack being brand new character exclusive to Amazon that sells out in seconds? No. didn't think so.

thank you for the correction about the 60th line, i had forgotten about the other announced figures.

I agree with you regarding exclusives, alas i don't think hasbro views it the same way.  if anything i expect more exclusives in the upcoming years and a lot of times those exclusives represent one of the most sought after looks for the character (think WG Moon Knight or WM's 80th Cap).

As far as sets, yes an exclusive set with 2 new characters that sold out lickety-split would be a real bummer... but hasbro generally is more likely to do a 2-pack with one new and one repeat character, anyhow.  Which of course leads to additional gnashing of teeth and rending of garments from longterm collectors who then have to decide if its worth it.  I don't blame Hasbro tho.

On 3/19/2022 at 4:44 AM, bashpics99 said:

thank you for the correction about the 60th line, i had forgotten about the other announced figures.

I agree with you regarding exclusives, alas i don't think hasbro views it the same way.  if anything i expect more exclusives in the upcoming years and a lot of times those exclusives represent one of the most sought after looks for the character (think WG Moon Knight or WM's 80th Cap).

As far as sets, yes an exclusive set with 2 new characters that sold out lickety-split would be a real bummer... but hasbro generally is more likely to do a 2-pack with one new and one repeat character, anyhow.  Which of course leads to additional gnashing of teeth and rending of garments from longterm collectors who then have to decide if its worth it.  I don't blame Hasbro tho.

Being the first preorder I think Hasbro should have started out with a bang, i.e. Iron Spider. I feel dropping both for preorder at the same time would have been a good strategy. Iron Spider for everyone, especially for the long time collector. And the Amazon exclusive 2 pack for newer collectors.

On 3/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, Atlantis said:

I agree somewhat, but I would also add it can't be sustained by doing the same figures over and over. Especially factoring in the Marvel consumer desires/wishes; we know there are going to be the "staples" but we also want to see figures of more characters from across the wide and diverse 80+year history of Marvel. Having said that, there are a number of figures that need to be re-released, if only *cough* Silver Centurion to get them correct this time. 

I don't agree with being fleeced or the idea that a multibillion $$ company like Hasbro has to do this in order to stay competitive. That's when I walk away. The absolute best (and maybe only) way to let companies know what you'll put up with and what you won't, is voting with your Dollar. 

Yep, we aren't disagreeing at all. The business needs both types of customer: existing (and staying/not abandoning), and new (or expanding beyond dipping their toes into one or two of their absolute favourites, so becoming less selective and sporadic). Both have to be encouraged and rewarded. Ignore either and the business model suffers dramatically- and if you ignore new custom, there's literally no option than to fleece the existing custom; because increased profits every quarter/90 days is unachievable any other way. If you're not bringing in new money, you gotta take more and more from those you've already got on board (if you answer to shareholders). 

Whichever type of customer you are, it's shortsighted to resent the other; because everybody is as important a part of keeping the eco-system alive as anybody else- unless you want to personally fund the profit they bring in. 

I preordered on Amazon.ca before the pictures were even loaded on the site.  However, I just cancelled the order.  After thinking about it, it just isn't worth it.  I really like the Silk but honestly, it'll be cheaper finding someone who only wants Doc Ock and buying the Silk off them.  I may still get it as I don't see it selling out anytime soon at that price.  Maybe I would just sell off Doc Ock.

On 3/24/2022 at 1:44 PM, nighthawk said:

I preordered on Amazon.ca before the pictures were even loaded on the site.  However, I just cancelled the order.  After thinking about it, it just isn't worth it.  I really like the Silk but honestly, it'll be cheaper finding someone who only wants Doc Ock and buying the Silk off them.  I may still get it as I don't see it selling out anytime soon at that price.  Maybe I would just sell off Doc Ock.

Yikes that strategy may have bit you in the rear. This set has been sold out since day one

• 5 months later...

So I clicked the link and only saw the $100 + listing. BUT... hit the MORE BUYING OPTIONS and you will find the $55 listing. I was able to buy and got confirmation!

zero interest in Silk but I missed Doc Ock both times he was offered ( in single and 2 packs) so pretty happy to finally snag myself one. 

On 8/30/2022 at 9:42 PM, McHogan said:

Lightning fast turnaround on this set. Just got notification that set will arrive tomorrow 

Crazy because I placed an order on .com and .ca when they both went live (did both because I've been burned super bad with amazon exclusives thought I should have backups) and nothing looking like it;s moving any time soon for me, gotta love that there seems to be no spot in line reserved for anyone specific Ha.