Hasbro Teases Marvel Legends X-Men: Animated Series Jean Grey Figure

JayC

it's one of those figures that look good but won't really buy for me really. though i might add the faces if it weren't for the red hair they remind me of someone but i can't seem to recall from the tip of my tongue who does she remind me off, looks familiar yet i can't recall who.

On 3/23/2022 at 2:56 AM, leokearon said:

What Hasbro making figures, so they can reuse the mold? Perish the thought

Not simply reusing a mold. We're all used to that, and actually, unlike many, I'm a fan of that process in order to get as many characters out as possible as fast as they can, but Hasbro doesn't even always apply that process properly. One can refer to the whole Captain Marvel (Odin Wave)/Warbird/Binary situation to see how badly they dropped the ball there. What I'm talking about is how Hasbro doesn't get in any hurry to complete any team, but somehow it seemed like they put the Jim Lee team on the fast track, relatively, so they could not only use the same mold, bet the exact same figure to do these cartoon tie-in figures. The Jim Lee X-Men have been complete for a few years now while characters to complete the other 90's era teams like Feral, Wolfsbane and Rachel Summers are still nowhere in close sight.

The fact that anyone (including myself) fools themselves into thinking Hasbro was gonna go anywhere above and beyond with these "special" figures at "special" pricing and do anything to improve on the previous figures, other than swap out the hair sculpts, which I did myself on the previous figure, is almost laughable at this point. Again, it seems like we're paying more for the packaging and the packaging art than the figure itself. Couple that with whatever the hell they think they're doing with those paint apps, it sure ain't cell shading. At least not good cell shading. I've said it before, and it's worth saying again, someone on the ML design team needs to get someone in NECA or Mezco design on the phone quick for a consultation, cuz whatever they've been trying to do so far ain't been pretty.

I know, I know, the typical response will be that Hasbro is in the business of making money as inexpensive and as easily as possible and I 100% agree, but how far are they gonna push this cheap crap on us? I guess as far as until we tune out I guess. Great job, Hasbro. Now how bout another price hike.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:20 PM, monron999 said:

Not simply reusing a mold. We're all used to that, and actually, unlike many, I'm a fan of that process in order to get as many characters out as possible as fast as they can, but Hasbro doesn't even always apply that process properly. One can refer to the whole Captain Marvel (Odin Wave)/Warbird/Binary situation to see how badly they dropped the ball there. What I'm talking about is how Hasbro doesn't get in any hurry to complete any team, but somehow it seemed like they put the Jim Lee team on the fast track, relatively, so they could not only use the same mold, bet the exact same figure to do these cartoon tie-in figures. The Jim Lee X-Men have been complete for a few years now while characters to complete the other 90's era teams like Feral, Wolfsbane and Rachel Summers are still nowhere in close sight.

The fact that anyone (including myself) fools themselves into thinking Hasbro was gonna go anywhere above and beyond with these "special" figures at "special" pricing and do anything to improve on the previous figures, other than swap out the hair sculpts, which I did myself on the previous figure, is almost laughable at this point. Again, it seems like we're paying more for the packaging and the packaging art than the figure itself. Couple that with whatever the hell they think they're doing with those paint apps, it sure ain't cell shading. At least not good cell shading. I've said it before, and it's worth saying again, someone on the ML design team needs to get someone in NECA or Mezco design on the phone quick for a consultation, cuz whatever they've been trying to do so far ain't been pretty.

I know, I know, the typical response will be that Hasbro is in the business of making money as inexpensive and as easily as possible and I 100% agree, but how far are they gonna push this cheap crap on us? I guess as far as until we tune out I guess. Great job, Hasbro. Now how bout another price hike.

Given that these are also anniversary figures, it's not surprising they tried to get most of them done before the anniversary, so they could do these

Well I cancelled my order for this figure. I'm not paying $35 for a poorly executed figure that is the wrong colors. C'mon HASBRO you can do better than this!! I'm thinking about cancelling the orders for all of them. Just lackluster Jean has turned me off the whole line. The Gentle Giant mini bust was spot on...this is just lazy. A new head sculpt and the right colors would have made all the difference to me. I'm so disappointed.

And just for the record...Jeans hair is RED!! NOT ORANGE!! $#@%*#$

12435720-8914928273990598.webp

Yea it is disappointing that they couldn't bother to make a new headsculpt, especially considering the original Love Triangle Jean Grey head wasn't universally loved either.

That said, I'm all in on the line. It hits my nostalgia fanboy sweet spot. X-Men TAS is practically why I'm a Marvel Fanboy (after my bro introduced us to Marvel characters via trading cards and Infinity War comics), so there was never a doubt I was collecting these. I initially thought I was only going to order the heroes but with that new shipping charge every order, I figured the hell with it and got Sinister too.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:38 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Well I cancelled my order for this figure. I'm not paying $35 for a poorly executed figure that is the wrong colors. C'mon HASBRO you can do better than this!! I'm thinking about cancelling the orders for all of them. Just lackluster Jean has turned me off the whole line. The Gentle Giant mini bust was spot on...this is just lazy. A new head sculpt and the right colors would have made all the difference to me. I'm so disappointed.

Said the same thing, this Jean pushed me to not collect this whole animated line. I could have forgiven the orange suit but Hasbro should have gotten the correct red hair color!

Also something seemed off to me and I think it's the cel shading. The image on the back of the box shows that the darker cel shading on her abdomen should have been painted higher. The top inverted v should be the shadow for her rib cage. It's painted way too low on the figure and throws the whole look off. The whole purpose of this line is the cel shading to replicate the cartoon animation, and that wasn't even done right.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:38 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

They literally had style guide to how to make her in 3d form and they still screwed up gloriously, It just needed to be decent repaint but it only made previous version look like a work of art, damn shame, I guess it's too late for changes unless they include updated head with next figure like Cyclops.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the pictures of this figure earlier tonight for the first time.

My immediate thought was that they missed the mark on a couple of key points.

1. The face doesn’t quite capture the warm and caring side of the figure

2. The lose hair of her bangs do not look right.

Those two points make a world of difference to me. I won’t be buying this figure.