Marvel Legends Hot takes

Hogun

Give me some of your hot takes on Marvel Legends. I have the Eternals wave will soon see a huge demand for them, except for Ajak. This happens to legends all of the time. Most recently with the Korg and Grandmaster 2-pack. Figures that were seen as shelfwarmers, give or take 2 years, would eventually fly off shelves and be sold online for above what the buyer paid for. 2. The demand for Spider-Man figures will die down at the end of this year. 3. The 90s X-Men The Animated Series set of figures will not sell well, especially Storm, unless... 4. We will be getting Bishop and Cable repaints in those video cassette style boxes. We did not get them in the retro wave and Hasbro would be wise if they want to make a quick buck out of that wave. 

On 3/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, Hogun said:

Give me some of your hot takes on Marvel Legends. I have the Eternals wave will soon see a huge demand for them, except for Ajak. This happens to legends all of the time. Most recently with the Korg and Grandmaster 2-pack. Figures that were seen as shelfwarmers, give or take 2 years, would eventually fly off shelves and be sold online for above what the buyer paid for. 2. The demand for Spider-Man figures will die down at the end of this year. 3. The 90s X-Men The Animated Series set of figures will not sell well, especially Storm, unless... 4. We will be getting Bishop and Cable repaints in those video cassette style boxes. We did not get them in the retro wave and Hasbro would be wise if they want to make a quick buck out of that wave. 

I dunno bro, I just don't see it. I got mine on massive mark down. I wasn't gonna get them any other way, so they're still MIB so if your prediction pans out I'll be set to make a good profit. The movie wasn't bad, far from Marvel's worst, but the characters were just so boring. I mean sleep inducing boring. And an entire wave of those characters was just not a great idea, unless the idea was to just get the obligatory movie figures out in one shot so they can move on to bigger better things. In that case, it was brilliant. Seriously, at my local Target I watched maybe one or two figures leave the pegs per week. I started documenting it with pictures but it just got so tiresome. When they hit clearance I bought them up, all except Sprite, for some strange reason she never showed up. Still bought her on sale on Amazon. Got Kro, got Athena, Ajak the whole gang. If you're right I'll be in the money. This wave broke the norm in so many ways, I just don't think you can apply any prediction as it compares to how things have happened in the past with movie lines. Avengers and Black Panther don't really count. Their full movie lines came after a massively successful movie and after a first mixed line. The rules don't even apply to themselves. Supposedly Captain Marvel was the most profitable movie to that point in MCU history, yet the only line it had died on the pegs. I just don't think there's any accurate way to make a real prediction. Good luck to you though.

In a few years Hasbro Legends will be primarily related to cinema rather than directly to the comics. I think we are in a moment in which people who grew up with action figures as kids are the primary purchasers: not kids, not present day comic readers. When the next generation pops up they will be rooted in Netflix and Marvel studios.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:05 AM, Hogun said:

3. The 90s X-Men The Animated Series set of figures will not sell well, especially Storm, unless... 4. We will be getting Bishop and Cable repaints in those video cassette style boxes. We did not get them in the retro wave and Hasbro would be wise if they want to make a quick buck out of that wave. 

I think everyone is begging and waiting for that Morph release. Or at least a tease of an image or something. Morph to this line is like waiting on Toad in the 20th line.

On 3/22/2022 at 12:09 PM, Chunkylover said:

In a few years Hasbro Legends will be primarily related to cinema rather than directly to the comics. I think we are in a moment in which people who grew up with action figures as kids are the primary purchasers: not kids, not present day comic readers. When the next generation pops up they will be rooted in Netflix and Marvel studios.

I would add that i expect to see hasbro devote an increasingly larger portion of their figures to character looks from other media as well (animated shows, video games), particularly as comic sales dwindle ever-further downwards and people increasingly feel their comic figure collection has most of the essential members.  however this isn't really a hot take so much as a continuation of current trends

On 3/23/2022 at 8:44 AM, bashpics99 said:

I would add that i expect to see hasbro devote an increasingly larger portion of their figures to character looks from other media as well (animated shows, video games), particularly as comic sales dwindle ever-further downwards and people increasingly feel their comic figure collection has most of the essential members.  however this isn't really a hot take so much as a continuation of current trends

Yeah, I expected my "hot-take" to be not-so-hot after all. Hasbro has made a lot of new figures, and they can still redo some of the Toy-Biz figures. There are some of their own figures from the early days that need improvement.

I mostly wonder what will happen to the industry after my generation calls it quits. We were so into toys in a way that kids today... are into TikTok?

My new hot-take: Hasbro will pivot to creating figures of TikTok stars of yesterday and today!

No Hot Take of my own yet but I’ll comment on a few posts already

The Eternals wave will rebound? I have seen a few former peg warmers turn around and skyrocket in price but normally a single figure or a specific box set. both the Kraven’s Last Hunt and the EndGame Hawkeye/ BW sets spring to mind. Both were Luke warm (in my stores at least) then hung around forever before getting clearanced. Now both command high dollars. 

But an entire wave of unknown  characters? ( and boring, can’t forget boring, I’ve beat that point like a dead horse). When last I checked stores couldn’t give them away, even at less than half price. 

If they do somehow gain fan interest when clearance price or a $#!++% movie couldn’t it would indeed be a miracle. 

Hasbro will be MCU first and comics 2nd: I agree and not in any “haha we win” way. The MCU is big business and comics just can’t compete. Not to say that I wouldn’t buy comic figures, I absolutely will, but from a business standpoint, MCU movies mean more to Hasbro than the source material

Collectors these days come from Netflix / Cinema: agree again ( see above) comics brought me to toys which brought me to movies. Kids these days get their first exposure from movies / tv to toys. Makes sense

We're on a bubble and the Marvel Legends line is set to crash again.  Hasbro is upping prices at a pace that it feels like every other wave and they are not offering enough to warrant it.  I get the impression that they want to do two styles of figures: basic and deluxe.  The "basic" line is increasing in price all the time, but we're getting the same or fewer accessories for it while they're not-so-sneakily phasing out the BAF system.  The "deluxe" line wants to exist at a price point similar to other premium collectible figures, but doesn't begin to offer the same in terms of quality or quantity.  (I'm thinking right now of the 20th Anniversary Iron Man up against NECA's recent Usagi Yojimbo offering.  The prices are close, but nothing else is.)

I try to be a cheerleader rather than a doomsayer, but I'm a die-hard from the early 2000s.  I've recently gone from getting everything based on a comic book incarnation to being much more choosy and it feels very familiar.  I hope I'm wrong.  I love the line and want them to be around for another 20, but things look pointed south to me.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:54 PM, MonsterChris said:

We're on a bubble and the Marvel Legends line is set to crash again.  Hasbro is upping prices at a pace that it feels like every other wave and they are not offering enough to warrant it.  I get the impression that they want to do two styles of figures: basic and deluxe.  The "basic" line is increasing in price all the time, but we're getting the same or fewer accessories for it while they're not-so-sneakily phasing out the BAF system.  The "deluxe" line wants to exist at a price point similar to other premium collectible figures, but doesn't begin to offer the same in terms of quality or quantity.  (I'm thinking right now of the 20th Anniversary Iron Man up against NECA's recent Usagi Yojimbo offering.  The prices are close, but nothing else is.)

I try to be a cheerleader rather than a doomsayer, but I'm a die-hard from the early 2000s.  I've recently gone from getting everything based on a comic book incarnation to being much more choosy and it feels very familiar.  I hope I'm wrong.  I love the line and want them to be around for another 20, but things look pointed south to me.

I don't know about crash, but feels like current trends are not great.

B & M retailers continue to heavily stock mcu waves, but the combo of bad timing (due to COVID-related movie release delays) and inaccurate or missing characters (in part due to Disney's obsession with preventing spoilers), combined with price increases,  has left the stores i frequent with tons of Doc Strange figures on top of the tons of Eternals figures they already had.  Not good.

Also, outside of the various spider-man figures, the comic figures from recent waves don't seem to be selling well either. I guess Ben and Torch from the retro FF wave are doing OK.  But Reed, Sue, Psycho Man, High Evolutionary, Morlun, Shriek, D'Spayre, Sleepwalker ,Shocker, & Hammerhead? Ok, jury is still out on the last two.   Feels like hasbro is rounding out waves with not B-listers but D-listers and its not working at the higher price point.  We see more and more "missing team members" or sought-after B and C listers being either exclusives, deluxe releases, or part of multi-figure sets.   (and that's on top of the usual SOP of "release in less popular look first, then release in most-sought-after-look later on)

fwiw i do think ML is the greatest mass retail action figure line to date, when you consider  depth of character selection, sculpt, and articulation (altho i'm sure many would dispute that statement).  But i am definitely just cherry picking at this point & find myself mostly buying exclusives and sets, and relatively few wave figures (Which kind of speaks to Monster Chris' point about two tiers)

as always just my 2 cents, feel free to disagree

On 3/24/2022 at 7:57 AM, bashpics99 said:

I don't know about crash, but feels like current trends are not great.

I should probably clarify that, in the spirit of a true hot take, I maybe 75% believe what I wrote, lol.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:57 AM, bashpics99 said:

I guess Ben and Torch from the retro FF wave are doing OK.  But Reed, Sue, Psycho Man, High Evolutionary, Morlun, Shriek, D'Spayre, Sleepwalker ,Shocker, & Hammerhead? Ok, jury is still out on the last two.

Yeah, this!  Reed's lab coat is sweet, but not worth it for a lot of folks to invest in a repaint.  And those Salad Fingers hands...😖  A stretchy arm or two was going to break the bank!?  There's been 'nuff said on Sue's face.  And everyone else on your list before Shocker and Hammerhead just look sooooo bare bones.  With no BAF part to worry about, I'm not going to fret.  I can almost certainly pick them up mint (maybe in, maybe out of package) for the $10 - $15 that I feel they're worth in a few month's time.  And I'm a huge Marvel Legends slut, so that is, in my opinion, a very bad place for us to be in with half a given year's releases or more!  Something's gotta give soon.

Indeed something does need to give. I was a life long comic collector with an admittedly self induced completist nature. But Marvel priced me out of the hobby completely when every issue had multiple variants of varying rarity. Spending a near fortune on monthly comics took my joy out of the hobby, whether it’s Marvels fault or mine, I’m no longer a comic collector.

Legends feels the same way lately. While I’m still very much in love with the hobby, I’m really starting to feel the weight of what it is costing me to get the figures I want. Whether it’s Hasbro taking 3 or 4 releases to get the definitive MCU version correct or the price increase or the exclusives or in recent times , the sheer amount of product... my excitement for announced figures is hindered by the bottom line of what I can budget to continue collecting.

price increase + volume = being less likely to buy more. This can’t be what Hasbro envisioned 

On 3/22/2022 at 6:05 AM, Hogun said:

The 90s X-Men The Animated Series set of figures will not sell well, especially Storm, unless... 4. We will be getting Bishop and Cable repaints in those video cassette style boxes. We did not get them in the retro wave and Hasbro would be wise if they want to make a quick buck out of that wave. 

Completely forgot about Bishop (and Cable) and now I'll be so disappointed if we don't get a Bishop in the VHS line. Hopefully they give him a second head with his buzzcut look that he sports in the Onslaught arc from the Joe Mad! Uncanny 330's comics (yea I know he doesn't have that look in TAS).