Ben Reilly's Time As Spider-Man Comes To An End... And His Future As Chasm Begins

JayC

Over the last few months, a surprising saga has played out in the pages of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Hit creators including Zeb Wells, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Kelly Thompson, and Patrick Gleason have brought readers the BEYOND ERA which saw Peter Parker out of commission after a disastrous battle and his clone, the fan-favorite Ben Reilly, taking over as Spider-Man under the control of the mysterious Beyond Corporation. The BEYOND ERA reached its climactic ending in yesterday’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #93 which saw Ben Reilly perish after a devastating battle with Peter Parker. But all is not as it seems… Enter CHASM, Ben Reilly’s new identity and Peter Parker’s latest archenemy.

After 19 issues of hard truths and soul searching, Ben is more aware than ever that something within is missing. Consumed with the idea that Peter is the source for all that’s gone wrong in his life, Ben will now swing through the Marvel Universe as CHASM--a fierce and deeply personal new Spidey foe just in time for Spider-Man’s new era, kicking off next month in Zeb Wells and John Romita Jr.’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1!

“AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #93 brings us to the end of the mega-arc the Beyond Board worked so hard on. And though this story is coming to an end, Ben Reilly's journey is just beginning,” Wells promised. “Keep reading Amazing Spider-Man to find out if Peter can pull Ben back from the Chasm.

“Get ready to get to know the most terrifying new member of Spidey’s Rogues Gallery,” Editor Nick Lowe said. “Part of the point of ‘Beyond’ was the creation of Chasm and we have HUGE plans for the artist formerly known as Scarlet Spider, so keep your eyes peeled Web-Heads.

Check out artwork from the issue now as well as a design sheet by Patrick Gleason and pick up this must-have issue today!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #93
Written by ZEB WELLS
Art by PATRICK GLEASON
Beyond Board: ZEB WELLS, SALADIN AHMED, CODY ZIGLAR, KELLY THOMPSON & PATRICK GLEASON
Colors by BRIAN VALENZA
Letters by VC’s JOE CARAMAGNA
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS & ALEJANDRO SÁNCHEZ

Chasm_Design.jpg

Chasm.jpg

Even though I like the design and I'm curious to see where it will take Ben next, I'm a bit disappointed that he's become a villain once again, especially since the tease from Timeless #1 had promised us that Ben was going to just move to Los Angeles and remain as Spider-Man. Fingers crossed that's the actual endgame for Ben, and this is just a step toward it.

I'm not sure about this change, costume kinda looks cool but Scarlet Spider is well established name, I doubt rebranding will do any good for him sales or character development wise. I did enjoy most recent Amazing Spider-Man with him. But I have doubts that comic  book industry can support 3 Spider-Men,  it will probably sell ok but previous series started from 25k sales and ended up with 12k sales, which wasn't horrible but losing Scarlet Spider name makes me doubt it can compare in sales with Ben's previous title.

Definitely think this idea is ridiculous, especially how it invalidates everything post-Clone Conspiracy, and we seem to always kill all the extra symbiotes only to make a dozen more.  But I'll be hitting that pre-order fast if this design ever gets a Marvel Legend.  

On 3/31/2022 at 5:52 PM, greenlucario said:

Definitely think this idea is ridiculous, especially how it invalidates everything post-Clone Conspiracy, and we seem to always kill all the extra symbiotes only to make a dozen more.  But I'll be hitting that pre-order fast if this design ever gets a Marvel Legend.  

It's not a symbiote. He was mutated by... uh, "a quantum-shifting polymer in a psycho-reactive medium." Kinda like the Joker but instead of chemical waste, he fell into technobabble.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:25 AM, ADour said:

It's not a symbiote. He was mutated by... uh, "a quantum-shifting polymer in a psycho-reactive medium." Kinda like the Joker but instead of chemical waste, he fell into technobabble.

Reminds me of the Superior Iron Man Armour which was based on Symbiotes

On 4/1/2022 at 8:27 AM, RoMe00150 said:

This is beyond stupid. Especially since they brought him back and did nothing with it. Even in the letter column they said they had no idea what to do with Ben.....then if nobody had any ideas why let Dan Slott even bring him back

What do you mean they did nothing with him? Ben got his own ongoing series after Dead No More, which lasted for a decent amount of issues (in today's standards), then was in Spider-Geddon, in Iron Man for a bit for some reason, and then he starred in this last stretch of Amazing Spider-Man that led to him becoming Chasm.

On 4/1/2022 at 12:30 PM, ADour said:

What do you mean they did nothing with him? Ben got his own ongoing series after Dead No More, which lasted for a decent amount of issues (in today's standards), then was in Spider-Geddon, in Iron Man for a bit for some reason, and then he starred in this last stretch of Amazing Spider-Man that led to him becoming Chasm.

While that is true the ongoing had so much tonal whiplash plus the rushed ending to get him ready for Spider-Geddon. Then after they completed his journey and we got the Ben people have been asking for...he just gets shoved into other ongoing as a gust star and when they make him a star again it's right back to villain. It's clear Marvel had no clue what they wanted to do after they brought him back. Which shows me it was just another shock tactic to try and get attention 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:36 AM, RoMe00150 said:

While that is true the ongoing had so much tonal whiplash plus the rushed ending to get him ready for Spider-Geddon. Then after they completed his journey and we got the Ben people have been asking for...he just gets shoved into other ongoing as a gust star and when they make him a star again it's right back to villain. It's clear Marvel had no clue what they wanted to do after they brought him back. Which shows me it was just another shock tactic to try and get attention 

Oh, yeah. That, definitely.

spacer.png

Ben is now Chasm, in his neon suit, sure whatever, I'm sure he will be Scarlet Spider again in a few years

they are always doing something weird with Ben, I wish they'd just leave him alone.

the new suit looks meh, too much flashy 2022 jazz going on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 7:25 PM, ADour said:

Hmmm...I'll have to go back and re-read it, either way, still has a cool look to it, and definitely something I'd buy a figure of, regardless of the way it came to be.