A Case For Rounded Waist Swivel in ML

SpiderS

Due to whole 20th Anniversary of ML line, I keep going  back to memory lane, it made realize that while older toybiz figures had a lot of issues but they also had a lot of experimentations. One of such cases was rounded waist swivel on some figures such as Silver Surfer, Daredevil and Super-Posable McFarlane/Campbell Spider-Man. This might be only me but it seems like they are aesthetically much superior than straight up waist cuts which look pretty ugly unless figure has clothing like recent Doctor ssrange figure, moreover, Hasbro already implemented rounded up waists for G.I.Joe line (even though it's actually balljoint). While I would much rather ML line implement ball-jointed waists instead of simple swivels I also realize that it might be too costly and that's why it brings me to old toybiz experiment of rounded up waist swivel. Additional aesthetically bonus of this is the fact that it will force sculptors to give figures much narrower waists, which will give figures Superheroic V shaped figure. What do you think?

spacer.png

On 4/4/2022 at 1:38 AM, tarot said:

Oh hell no. Ball joints are horrid. What Hasbro is doing now is far superior to that.

I didn't say Balljoint tho, I mean rounded up swivel that wouldn't straight up cut, it's similar to straight bicep cut vs more anatomical bicep swivel type thing and it's obvious which one is superior even though they are functionally same. 

spacer.png

I don’t get the hate for ball joints. I remember as a kid collecting the five inch figures, ball joints were the best. I will grant that not all of the Toybiz figures had perfectly proportioned shoulder or hip ball joints, but neither were they all terrible. 

Hasbro has definitely made some improvements, though. No hate for the current products.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:49 PM, SpiderS said:

I didn't say Balljoint tho, I mean rounded up swivel that wouldn't straight up cut, it's similar to straight bicep cut vs more anatomical bicep swivel type thing and it's obvious which one is superior even though they are functionally same. 

I see where you're coming from. Basically the lower portion of the torso at the waist would be a rounded kinda ball and socket joint, similar to what is currently being used in a line like Jazwares' AEW line. I could take it or leave it. I think in some cases, where the characters are often shown to be more flexible and dynamic than average characters (Spider-Man, Daredevil, Iron Fist) it would be totally appropriate, but I don't think it's a one solution for all situation. I kinda put it in the same category as Butterfly joints. Sometimes it's just not necessary. Also, while it doesn't seem to be much more material, I do believe it takes a little more assembly time, which in turn, ends up with an added cost to the product. In those instances it really does baffle me on why the chose to use a buck like the Sunfire one on characters like Silver Surfer and Falcon when the Spider UK or Reaper buck would have been sufficient. I know someone can make the argument for Falcon needing more arm movement, but the butterflies on the Sunfire buck only allow for lateral movement across the chest, not vertical extension over the head for flight poses.