The Secret Origin Of Thor Will Be Revealed In Avengers 1,000,000 B.C., Arriving This July

Outsiders

On 4/7/2022 at 4:54 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Phoenix needs to go away permanently!! Overdone on so many levels!!

I havent read new comics since the 80s, as a teen. Personally, I wish we could rewrite Phoenix destroying that Shiar planet in 136, before her death in 137. I am of the opinion that Jean grey looks sharpest in her green phoenix uniform, bar none. Wish they hadnt killed her, broke her up with Scott etc etc.

This isnt Wolverine with Tan/brown or Tiger Stripe, where either is a great choice. Or even 80s Cyclops vs Jim Lee version. While the Marvel Girl dress is cute, the Cockrum cover of 101 is all time epic material.

So yeah, with the exception of Jean grey and the green costume, I wouldnt mind all of the phoenix stuff going bye bye. Same with so many other things that have destroyed the Marvel Comics I enjoyed in 70s and 80s.

On 4/7/2022 at 9:54 PM, GrtWhiteCustoms said:

Phoenix needs to go away permanently!! Overdone on so many levels!!

Yeah, this should have stuck

4aaa947804564ef79af7727b5df3d0d6_by_leok

On 4/8/2022 at 12:38 AM, Air-Walker said:

Heh? Whatever happened to Gaia being Thor's Mum? 

Jason Aaron happened.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:34 AM, Evan_H said:

I havent read new comics since the 80s, as a teen. Personally, I wish we could rewrite Phoenix destroying that Shiar planet in 136, before her death in 137. I am of the opinion that Jean grey looks sharpest in her green phoenix uniform, bar none. Wish they hadnt killed her, broke her up with Scott etc etc.

This isnt Wolverine with Tan/brown or Tiger Stripe, where either is a great choice. Or even 80s Cyclops vs Jim Lee version. While the Marvel Girl dress is cute, the Cockrum cover of 101 is all time epic material.

So yeah, with the exception of Jean grey and the green costume, I wouldnt mind all of the phoenix stuff going bye bye. Same with so many other things that have destroyed the Marvel Comics I enjoyed in 70s and 80s.

Jim Shooter should have listened to Claremont instead of Byrne when it came to Jean being Phoenix

On 4/8/2022 at 2:20 AM, leokearon said:

Yes, along with...............................

No More Clone Sagas

No More Symbiote Sagas

No More Old Man's

No More World War's

No More Death Of's

And on an on and on and on...................................

Not that the first one (or few) of those storylines weren't decent (or at least serviceable), but they got played out long before the writers figured it out. As soon as one thing hits right, we gotta do it again, and then again, and then again, and then ride that beeyatch till the damn wheels fall right the eff off the thing.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:47 PM, Hogun said:

Not another stupid retcon by Marvel to drive comic book sales! Please no! I am sick of these dumb retcons. Keep the Phoenix force with the X-Men. Leave Thor alone.

Shame Aaron loves the Phoenix and wants it to be part of the Avengers lore now.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:21 AM, leokearon said:

Jim Shooter should have listened to Claremont instead of Byrne when it came to Jean being Phoenix

What was Claremont's position? 

On 4/8/2022 at 3:20 AM, leokearon said:

Jason Aaron happened.

While the details of this are still unknown to me, your context is crystal clear. I spill my Mead Cup in profound distate to this Jason Aaron! 

On 4/8/2022 at 9:36 AM, monron999 said:

Yes, along with...............................

No More Clone Sagas

No More Symbiote Sagas

No More Old Man's

No More World War's

No More Death Of's

And on an on and on and on...................................

Not that the first one (or few) of those storylines weren't decent (or at least serviceable), but they got played out long before the writers figured it out. As soon as one thing hits right, we gotta do it again, and then again, and then again, and then ride that beeyatch till the damn wheels fall right the eff off the thing.

Agreed! On and on and on is the perfect way to describe Marvel's obsession with retconning, and it is the main reason why I stopped reading Marvel in the first place. It's just too insulting to the reader to continually keep telling them that the stories they cherished weren't the stories afterall, but are instead the latest cheezy soap-opera of the month plot. On and on and on as you so aptly put it.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:47 AM, Hogun said:

Not another stupid retcon by Marvel to drive comic book sales! Please no! I am sick of these dumb retcons. Keep the Phoenix force with the X-Men. Leave Thor alone.

Yep, as I said about, it's just too insulting to us, the fans. It's the reason why, for me, Marvel's mythos ends around the time of the Spider-Clone saga, because that to me is when Marvel threw it's integrity out the door for good. In the Marvel Universe I hold as the mythos....Norman Osborn died at the business end of his Goblin Glider. The Jackal and his clone of Peter died the first time around, Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff are Magneto's kids, Captain American didn't get shawt and insert whatever other cash/headline grabby retcon gimmick they've pulled over the last 25 years.

On 4/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, Air-Walker said:

What was Claremont's position? 

While the details of this are still unknown to me, your context is crystal clear. I spill my Mead Cup in profound distate to this Jason Aaron! 

Agreed! On and on and on is the perfect way to describe Marvel's obsession with retconning, and it is the main reason why I stopped reading Marvel in the first place. It's just too insulting to the reader to continually keep telling them that the stories they cherished weren't the stories afterall, but are instead the latest cheezy soap-opera of the month plot. On and on and on as you so aptly put it.

Yep, as I said about, it's just too insulting to us, the fans. It's the reason why, for me, Marvel's mythos ends around the time of the Spider-Clone saga, because that to me is when Marvel threw it's integrity out the door for good. In the Marvel Universe I hold as the mythos....Norman Osborn died at the business end of his Goblin Glider. The Jackal and his clone of Peter died the first time around, Ned Leeds was the Hobgoblin, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff are Magneto's kids, Captain American didn't get shawt and insert whatever other cash/headline grabby retcon gimmick they've pulled over the last 25 years.

Claremont wanted Jean as Phoenix to be the ultimate evolution of her powers. To be a woman who could rival the likes of Thor and the Silver Surfer. Byrne was the one who suggested the whole power corrupts idea which led to Dark Phoenix.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:09 PM, leokearon said:

Claremont wanted Jean as Phoenix to be the ultimate evolution of her powers. To be a woman who could rival the likes of Thor and the Silver Surfer. Byrne was the one who suggested the whole power corrupts idea which led to Dark Phoenix.

Ah, interesting! I didn't know that. I do like that (Claremont's) idea better. I've always liked the Dark Phoenix concept too, but that could have been a seperate character. Thanks for the info!

Teased yesterday, new revelations behind the origins of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are set to be revealed in a special one-shot titled AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. Arriving in July, the giant-sized issue will take readers to the earliest days of the Marvel Universe and back to the start of Jason Aaron’s AVENGERS run when he first introduced the Avengers of 1,000,000 B.C. Aaron will team up with artist Kev Walker to unearth long-awaited answers behind this original incarnation of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes including Thor’s mysterious connection to the Phoenix Force. The story also promises to reveal how this fascinating addition to the Avengers mythos will play into a major upcoming Avengers saga later this year.

They are the defenders of the dawn of time. Marvel’s first and mightiest legacy heroes. But their greatest secrets have never been revealed. Until now. Witness the dark events that shatter their ranks. See how their lives come to shape the entire future of the Marvel Universe. And be there for the monumental event that reunites them one last time: the true story of Thor’s birth.

“The Prehistoric Avengers have been an important key to my AVENGERS run since the very beginning,” Aaron explained. “They are the earliest versions of some of the earth's most powerful legacy characters. They're the heroes who protect the Marvel Universe in its crib. And now we finally get to see them all in the spotlight in a huge way. In a story that shows how these prehistoric heroes shaped Marvel history in the most profound ways and that will also have big ramifications for the Avengers going forward.”

“When I first got the script for this, I was expecting a 30-page prehistoric smackdown,” Walker added. “But Jason’s script was so much more than that and I’ve had to work hard to do some of these scenes justice.“

Check out the main cover by Ed McGuiness as well as a stunning variant by Alex Horley and witness this pivotal Avengers epic when AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. #1 hits stands this July. For more information, visit Marvel.com.

AVENGERS: 1,000,000 B.C. #1

Written by JASON AARON

Art by KEV WALKER

Cover by ED McGUINNESS

Variant Cover by ALEX HORLEY

On Sale 7/13

Avengers_1000000_BC_01.jpg

Avengers_1000000_BC_02.jpg

On 4/8/2022 at 12:51 PM, Air-Walker said:

In defense of Hobgoblin it was always supposed to be Rodrick. Stern was taken off the book before he could finish and the other writers didn't know of the original plans

On 4/8/2022 at 6:01 PM, RoMe00150 said:

In defense of Hobgoblin it was always supposed to be Rodrick. Stern was taken off the book before he could finish and the other writers didn't know of the original plans

I still think Ned Leeds being the original Hobgoblin was a much better idea though; it gave that rivalry a lot more depth and tragedy to it, as well as nicely mirroring Peter's personal connection to the Osborns.